Governors sacked at Bradford school criticised for failing to protect pupils from risks of extremism

Governors sacked at Bradford school criticised for failing to protect pupils from risks of extremism

Carlton Bolling College in Undercliffe, Bradford

Governors sacked at Bradford school criticised for failing to protect pupils from risks of extremism

First published in News

THE governors at a Bradford school that "failed to give attention to potential risks posed by extremism" have been sacked by Bradford Council.

The Department of Education gave the go ahead for the authority to remove the governors of Carlton Bolling College yesterday - just as a critical report by education watchdog Ofsted was published.

Ofsted Inspectors visited the school last month after concerns were raised about the Undercliffe school's governance and safeguarding regime.

As a result of the inspection, the school has been downgraded from "good" to "inadequate".

The school, which has a majority of Muslim pupils, will now be run by an Interim Executive Board until a new governing body is appointed.

The report said that the school's governing body, led by chairman of governors and Bradford Councillor Faisal Khan, was "an obstacle to improvement" and that there was "deep rooted distrust between governors".

Inspectors were told that Cllr Khan had "shouted aggressively is response to the expression of views contrary to his own", the report states.

A third of staff who spoke to inspectors said the school was not well managed, and some said they were afraid of speaking out publicly.

Other criticisms included in the report were that:

* A proposed mixed residential trip to London was axed by governors

* Governors had pushed for the narrowing of the geography curriculum and for Religious Education to only study Islam

* Eastern European pupils claimed they had been subject to racist name calling

The report states: "The college does not protect students from the possible risks exposed by extremism well enough" and that they don't have opportunities to understand how to recognise extremist views

It adds, although the needs of Muslim students are met, decisions "do not take account of other faiths".

Councillor Ralph Berry, executive for children's services on the Council, said: "The quality of children's education is our main concern and we will act in cases where governing bodies are preventing schools from moving forward.

"It is a school that has some real strengths and I'm sure the school will get back to good or outstanding in the not too distant future.

"Not all governors are responsible for this, but we have no option other than remove the entire governing body.

"In my 30 years of education I have never known a school where every single teaching appointment is made by the governors."

Cllr Berry said he was not totally convinced with some of the comments by inspectors on the lack of teaching about other faiths and cultures, pointing out that the school had taken part in the Anne Frank Ambassadors programme and recently held a Gypsy/Roma history week.

Cllr Khan (Ind, Bradford Moor) was not available for comment yesterday, but after the report was leaked earlier this week he claimed the Ofsted inspectors had made their minds up before they had conducted their inspection, saying: “It wasn’t an inspection, it was an inquisition.”

He said inspectors had asked one hijab-wearing pupil whether anyone was making her wear the headscarf. When she said no, Cllr Khan claimed they proceeded to ask her the same question in different ways three more times.

A Department for Education spokesman said last night: “All schools are subject to a tough inspection regime and as we have repeatedly demonstrated, we will not hesitate to take firm and swift action where failings are found.

“We have approved an application from the local authority to remove the governing body at Carlton Bolling and put an Interim Executive Board in place. The immediate task for the board will be to take swift action to address the issues raised in Ofsted’s report.”

The Council is still waiting to hear if it will be granted an IEB for St Luke's Church of England school, which was also criticised by Ofsted for its governance - leading to its governing body standing down.

Comments (43)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:39am Sat 19 Jul 14

Albion. says...

Is it not so that councillor Khan has now been sacked as governor in two schools this year? It would seem that his intentions are clear.
Is it not so that councillor Khan has now been sacked as governor in two schools this year? It would seem that his intentions are clear. Albion.
  • Score: 51

7:23am Sat 19 Jul 14

BonnyB says...

I understand that these were the same Governors in position when the school was last judged to be good. There didn't appear to be any concerns raised then, even a notice to improve therefore it would appear that this was already planned in a bid to sack the governors. It is true (as reported by the T&A) that there had been a Roma Gypsy awareness week at the school therefore to suggest that other faiths and cultures are ignored is not completely truthful.
I understand that these were the same Governors in position when the school was last judged to be good. There didn't appear to be any concerns raised then, even a notice to improve therefore it would appear that this was already planned in a bid to sack the governors. It is true (as reported by the T&A) that there had been a Roma Gypsy awareness week at the school therefore to suggest that other faiths and cultures are ignored is not completely truthful. BonnyB
  • Score: -33

7:50am Sat 19 Jul 14

RED65 says...

This report and others around the country tell us the truth,my child is moving to a upper school who will meet her needs and respect her needs.these inner city schools are all the same and not for a minority especially if Christian as there needs will not be met.
This report and others around the country tell us the truth,my child is moving to a upper school who will meet her needs and respect her needs.these inner city schools are all the same and not for a minority especially if Christian as there needs will not be met. RED65
  • Score: 39

7:52am Sat 19 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Albion. wrote:
Is it not so that councillor Khan has now been sacked as governor in two schools this year? It would seem that his intentions are clear.
Former respect Cllr so he got elected on a wave of targetting a certain faith.
You reap what you sow.
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Is it not so that councillor Khan has now been sacked as governor in two schools this year? It would seem that his intentions are clear.[/p][/quote]Former respect Cllr so he got elected on a wave of targetting a certain faith. You reap what you sow. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 37

8:14am Sat 19 Jul 14

SinnerSaint says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Albion. wrote:
Is it not so that councillor Khan has now been sacked as governor in two schools this year? It would seem that his intentions are clear.
Former respect Cllr so he got elected on a wave of targetting a certain faith.
You reap what you sow.
Indeed:

http://www.telegraph
.co.uk/news/newsvide
o/10806140/Faisal-Kh
an-filmed-talking-ab
out-changing-headtea
chers-in-Bradford.ht
ml
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Is it not so that councillor Khan has now been sacked as governor in two schools this year? It would seem that his intentions are clear.[/p][/quote]Former respect Cllr so he got elected on a wave of targetting a certain faith. You reap what you sow.[/p][/quote]Indeed: http://www.telegraph .co.uk/news/newsvide o/10806140/Faisal-Kh an-filmed-talking-ab out-changing-headtea chers-in-Bradford.ht ml SinnerSaint
  • Score: 19

8:25am Sat 19 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Albion. wrote:
Is it not so that councillor Khan has now been sacked as governor in two schools this year? It would seem that his intentions are clear.
Is he a fit and proper person to be a councillor?
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: Is it not so that councillor Khan has now been sacked as governor in two schools this year? It would seem that his intentions are clear.[/p][/quote]Is he a fit and proper person to be a councillor? Bone_idle18
  • Score: 39

9:09am Sat 19 Jul 14

daisy25 says...

Sad that newspapers no longer INVESTIGATE but just report. If they did they would find that this Ofsted report is full of half truths and facts have been twisted. A very sad day for education and for all those VOLUNTARY governors who have been dismissed. One should remember that a governing body is made up of a variety of people including parents, teachers and the head teacher and from my experience of being a parent governor of a primary school no one person can make a decision without the others, least of all the head teacher.
Sad that newspapers no longer INVESTIGATE but just report. If they did they would find that this Ofsted report is full of half truths and facts have been twisted. A very sad day for education and for all those VOLUNTARY governors who have been dismissed. One should remember that a governing body is made up of a variety of people including parents, teachers and the head teacher and from my experience of being a parent governor of a primary school no one person can make a decision without the others, least of all the head teacher. daisy25
  • Score: -38

9:16am Sat 19 Jul 14

Johsay says...

No.

But the council have done nothing bar 'regularly seeking legal advice' but not acting. Scared to death.

Hopeless, time to hand education back to Serco or similar, yes its unpopular but Education Bradford are hopeless. Not fit for purpose and as many questions should be asked of them, never mind the governors.

Just astonishing that this stuff happens, stopping teaching Music? Each body has a council minute taker in any case so the audit trail is all there.

What were the council doing? Celebrating coming 3rd bottom of the national league table again?
No. But the council have done nothing bar 'regularly seeking legal advice' but not acting. Scared to death. Hopeless, time to hand education back to Serco or similar, yes its unpopular but Education Bradford are hopeless. Not fit for purpose and as many questions should be asked of them, never mind the governors. Just astonishing that this stuff happens, stopping teaching Music? Each body has a council minute taker in any case so the audit trail is all there. What were the council doing? Celebrating coming 3rd bottom of the national league table again? Johsay
  • Score: 34

9:21am Sat 19 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

daisy25 wrote:
Sad that newspapers no longer INVESTIGATE but just report. If they did they would find that this Ofsted report is full of half truths and facts have been twisted. A very sad day for education and for all those VOLUNTARY governors who have been dismissed. One should remember that a governing body is made up of a variety of people including parents, teachers and the head teacher and from my experience of being a parent governor of a primary school no one person can make a decision without the others, least of all the head teacher.
Give it a rest, you've been found out, move on.
[quote][p][bold]daisy25[/bold] wrote: Sad that newspapers no longer INVESTIGATE but just report. If they did they would find that this Ofsted report is full of half truths and facts have been twisted. A very sad day for education and for all those VOLUNTARY governors who have been dismissed. One should remember that a governing body is made up of a variety of people including parents, teachers and the head teacher and from my experience of being a parent governor of a primary school no one person can make a decision without the others, least of all the head teacher.[/p][/quote]Give it a rest, you've been found out, move on. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 40

9:25am Sat 19 Jul 14

sunnysidedown says...

A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam.

The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.
A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam. The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists. sunnysidedown
  • Score: 54

9:40am Sat 19 Jul 14

daisy25 says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
daisy25 wrote:
Sad that newspapers no longer INVESTIGATE but just report. If they did they would find that this Ofsted report is full of half truths and facts have been twisted. A very sad day for education and for all those VOLUNTARY governors who have been dismissed. One should remember that a governing body is made up of a variety of people including parents, teachers and the head teacher and from my experience of being a parent governor of a primary school no one person can make a decision without the others, least of all the head teacher.
Give it a rest, you've been found out, move on.
You should really stop stalking me bone!
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]daisy25[/bold] wrote: Sad that newspapers no longer INVESTIGATE but just report. If they did they would find that this Ofsted report is full of half truths and facts have been twisted. A very sad day for education and for all those VOLUNTARY governors who have been dismissed. One should remember that a governing body is made up of a variety of people including parents, teachers and the head teacher and from my experience of being a parent governor of a primary school no one person can make a decision without the others, least of all the head teacher.[/p][/quote]Give it a rest, you've been found out, move on.[/p][/quote]You should really stop stalking me bone! daisy25
  • Score: -24

9:46am Sat 19 Jul 14

Mr Capp says...

Anybody not of the islamic faith employed in the public sector and with powers of authority will not risk being accused of racism so do nothing.The extremists are profiting alarmingly because of this.
Anybody not of the islamic faith employed in the public sector and with powers of authority will not risk being accused of racism so do nothing.The extremists are profiting alarmingly because of this. Mr Capp
  • Score: 41

10:36am Sat 19 Jul 14

bd7 helper says...

It all adds up nicely
It all adds up nicely bd7 helper
  • Score: 9

10:42am Sat 19 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Thin edge of the wedge.
Thin edge of the wedge. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 13

10:46am Sat 19 Jul 14

Wanna Have says...

My lads go there to play football never had any problems or racism directed to us.think the government want a completely subservient worker ant minimum wage worshipping population and if you choose to worship the false good of religion and not the fat cat your a radical.
My lads go there to play football never had any problems or racism directed to us.think the government want a completely subservient worker ant minimum wage worshipping population and if you choose to worship the false good of religion and not the fat cat your a radical. Wanna Have
  • Score: -14

11:02am Sat 19 Jul 14

single says...

Mr Capp wrote:
Anybody not of the islamic faith employed in the public sector and with powers of authority will not risk being accused of racism so do nothing.The extremists are profiting alarmingly because of this.
So very very true , Not just locally , but nationally .
[quote][p][bold]Mr Capp[/bold] wrote: Anybody not of the islamic faith employed in the public sector and with powers of authority will not risk being accused of racism so do nothing.The extremists are profiting alarmingly because of this.[/p][/quote]So very very true , Not just locally , but nationally . single
  • Score: 21

12:02pm Sat 19 Jul 14

BonnyB says...

Having come from a non denominational all girls school which Catholicism was practiced, it was evident that there was no resistance from any organisation / media / ofsted that the teachings were only of one faith or that every day we undertook mass or weekly confession. There were others of different faiths, inc the Muslims who complied and joined in with mass. I have requested in the past through Ofsted and the Local Ombudsman that all schools are inspected without warning and that all staff are held to account to ensure that the future of Great Britain is maintained and safe
Having come from a non denominational all girls school which Catholicism was practiced, it was evident that there was no resistance from any organisation / media / ofsted that the teachings were only of one faith or that every day we undertook mass or weekly confession. There were others of different faiths, inc the Muslims who complied and joined in with mass. I have requested in the past through Ofsted and the Local Ombudsman that all schools are inspected without warning and that all staff are held to account to ensure that the future of Great Britain is maintained and safe BonnyB
  • Score: 9

12:26pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Robin of Loxley says...

Cllr Berry said he was not totally convinced with some of the comments by inspectors on the lack of teaching about other faiths and cultures, pointing out that the school had taken part in the Anne Frank Ambassadors programme and recently held a Gypsy/Roma history week.

Cllr Khan (Ind, Bradford Moor) was not available for comment yesterday, but after the report was leaked earlier this week he claimed the Ofsted inspectors had made their minds up before they had conducted their inspection, saying: “It wasn’t an inspection, it was an inquisition.”

He said inspectors had asked one hijab-wearing pupil whether anyone was making her wear the headscarf. When she said no, Cllr Khan claimed they proceeded to ask her the same question in different ways three more times.


Looks like Ofsted isn't as impartial as it makes out to be...
[quote] Cllr Berry said he was not totally convinced with some of the comments by inspectors on the lack of teaching about other faiths and cultures, pointing out that the school had taken part in the Anne Frank Ambassadors programme and recently held a Gypsy/Roma history week. Cllr Khan (Ind, Bradford Moor) was not available for comment yesterday, but after the report was leaked earlier this week he claimed the Ofsted inspectors had made their minds up before they had conducted their inspection, saying: “It wasn’t an inspection, it was an inquisition.” He said inspectors had asked one hijab-wearing pupil whether anyone was making her wear the headscarf. When she said no, Cllr Khan claimed they proceeded to ask her the same question in different ways three more times. [/quote] Looks like Ofsted isn't as impartial as it makes out to be... Robin of Loxley
  • Score: 33

12:42pm Sat 19 Jul 14

PTN says...

The facts are never reported correctly but twisted to meet the agenda of the puppet masters. I,ve seen the comments from the inspection and they are totally inaccurate. maybe those that are commenting on here would care to visit the school or check its website and they could then see for themselves what a total fabrication the report is. The real issue was that previous governers who were "puppets on a string" and afiliated to the main political parties were actually being challenged on important issues and made to think for themselves which did not bode well with the puppetmasters . As long as the governing body was full of YES men to tow the line from City Hall , all was well but the minute City Hall was challenged by governors that were able to think for themselves it became an issue.
All of the points in the report have been totally blown out of proportion to fit in with a political agenda. City Hall is not interested in the education of the kids , the welfare of the teachers , they are more interested in having THEIR PEOPLE on the governerships , keep things ticking over , keep certain people happy and you are guaranteed votes in the next election. CORRUPT to the core and when challenged they have the might politically to trod on the little man using whatever means possible including the media and this publication who are more than happy to overlook the truth in the interests of a good story.
The facts are never reported correctly but twisted to meet the agenda of the puppet masters. I,ve seen the comments from the inspection and they are totally inaccurate. maybe those that are commenting on here would care to visit the school or check its website and they could then see for themselves what a total fabrication the report is. The real issue was that previous governers who were "puppets on a string" and afiliated to the main political parties were actually being challenged on important issues and made to think for themselves which did not bode well with the puppetmasters . As long as the governing body was full of YES men to tow the line from City Hall , all was well but the minute City Hall was challenged by governors that were able to think for themselves it became an issue. All of the points in the report have been totally blown out of proportion to fit in with a political agenda. City Hall is not interested in the education of the kids , the welfare of the teachers , they are more interested in having THEIR PEOPLE on the governerships , keep things ticking over , keep certain people happy and you are guaranteed votes in the next election. CORRUPT to the core and when challenged they have the might politically to trod on the little man using whatever means possible including the media and this publication who are more than happy to overlook the truth in the interests of a good story. PTN
  • Score: -4

1:17pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Mixter says...

sunnysidedown wrote:
A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam.

The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.
They dont have to be 'prepared' nowadays. They can live, work, socialise and die totally within their own community nowadays. And lets face it, 'modern Britain' is in many places just that; countries within a country.

I am serious when i say i cannot think of a single county besides the UK that is so far away from what it is meant to be as regards culture and make-up.
[quote][p][bold]sunnysidedown[/bold] wrote: A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam. The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.[/p][/quote]They dont have to be 'prepared' nowadays. They can live, work, socialise and die totally within their own community nowadays. And lets face it, 'modern Britain' is in many places just that; countries within a country. I am serious when i say i cannot think of a single county besides the UK that is so far away from what it is meant to be as regards culture and make-up. Mixter
  • Score: 9

1:46pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Robin of Loxley says...

Mixter wrote:
sunnysidedown wrote:
A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam.

The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.
They dont have to be 'prepared' nowadays. They can live, work, socialise and die totally within their own community nowadays. And lets face it, 'modern Britain' is in many places just that; countries within a country.

I am serious when i say i cannot think of a single county besides the UK that is so far away from what it is meant to be as regards culture and make-up.
If it wasn't for racism against Blacks, Muslims, Asians etc.. there'd be no need for separate communities.

If you're looking for blame, look no further than the indigenous folk.
[quote][p][bold]Mixter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sunnysidedown[/bold] wrote: A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam. The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.[/p][/quote]They dont have to be 'prepared' nowadays. They can live, work, socialise and die totally within their own community nowadays. And lets face it, 'modern Britain' is in many places just that; countries within a country. I am serious when i say i cannot think of a single county besides the UK that is so far away from what it is meant to be as regards culture and make-up.[/p][/quote]If it wasn't for racism against Blacks, Muslims, Asians etc.. there'd be no need for separate communities. If you're looking for blame, look no further than the indigenous folk. Robin of Loxley
  • Score: -19

1:49pm Sat 19 Jul 14

ohgreat3 says...

It seems fairly obvious to me that in an" enlightened age" no single religion should dominate in a school in the UK ...except perhaps for traditional reasons Christianity, in assembly ,should continue as this is by majority a christian country. Other cultures religions should be taught in lessons for widening knowledge about the world. This appears to be Muslim goveners somewhat illiberally wanting only Muslim traditions to be taught and followed in an English school be its pupils largely Muslim themselves. It is a hypocracy to demand rights for a minority and then deny a different minority there rights too.
It seems fairly obvious to me that in an" enlightened age" no single religion should dominate in a school in the UK ...except perhaps for traditional reasons Christianity, in assembly ,should continue as this is by majority a christian country. Other cultures religions should be taught in lessons for widening knowledge about the world. This appears to be Muslim goveners somewhat illiberally wanting only Muslim traditions to be taught and followed in an English school be its pupils largely Muslim themselves. It is a hypocracy to demand rights for a minority and then deny a different minority there rights too. ohgreat3
  • Score: 12

1:53pm Sat 19 Jul 14

ohgreat3 says...

It seems fairly obvious to me that in an" enlightened age" no single religion should dominate in a school in the UK ...except perhaps for traditional reasons Christianity, in assembly ,should continue as this is by majority a christian country. Other cultures religions should be taught in lessons for widening knowledge about the world. This appears to be Muslim goveners somewhat illiberally wanting only Muslim traditions to be taught and followed in an English school be its pupils largely Muslim themselves. It is a hypocracy to demand rights for a minority and then deny a different minority their rights too.
It seems fairly obvious to me that in an" enlightened age" no single religion should dominate in a school in the UK ...except perhaps for traditional reasons Christianity, in assembly ,should continue as this is by majority a christian country. Other cultures religions should be taught in lessons for widening knowledge about the world. This appears to be Muslim goveners somewhat illiberally wanting only Muslim traditions to be taught and followed in an English school be its pupils largely Muslim themselves. It is a hypocracy to demand rights for a minority and then deny a different minority their rights too. ohgreat3
  • Score: 2

2:19pm Sat 19 Jul 14

JonneBravo says...

I think most people are missing the point here. The fact is religion and education should never be mixed, Britian's fought for years to have religion, royality and polictics separated, now it seems stupid that people dont understand school is for learning, learning about religion should be only about tolerence and insight, regardless of whether you are catholic, church of england or otherwise. Children should never be segragated and governers should not have unequal powers over schools. This whole idea of free schools was flawed from the outset, I have a degree and have plenty of opinions about my son's school but I wouldn't have a clue about how to run one.
I think most people are missing the point here. The fact is religion and education should never be mixed, Britian's fought for years to have religion, royality and polictics separated, now it seems stupid that people dont understand school is for learning, learning about religion should be only about tolerence and insight, regardless of whether you are catholic, church of england or otherwise. Children should never be segragated and governers should not have unequal powers over schools. This whole idea of free schools was flawed from the outset, I have a degree and have plenty of opinions about my son's school but I wouldn't have a clue about how to run one. JonneBravo
  • Score: 14

2:58pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Robin of Loxley wrote:
Mixter wrote:
sunnysidedown wrote:
A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam.

The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.
They dont have to be 'prepared' nowadays. They can live, work, socialise and die totally within their own community nowadays. And lets face it, 'modern Britain' is in many places just that; countries within a country.

I am serious when i say i cannot think of a single county besides the UK that is so far away from what it is meant to be as regards culture and make-up.
If it wasn't for racism against Blacks, Muslims, Asians etc.. there'd be no need for separate communities.

If you're looking for blame, look no further than the indigenous folk.
The community sticks together, but more because of what you say, is to shelter their kids from the evil western influences.
[quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mixter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sunnysidedown[/bold] wrote: A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam. The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.[/p][/quote]They dont have to be 'prepared' nowadays. They can live, work, socialise and die totally within their own community nowadays. And lets face it, 'modern Britain' is in many places just that; countries within a country. I am serious when i say i cannot think of a single county besides the UK that is so far away from what it is meant to be as regards culture and make-up.[/p][/quote]If it wasn't for racism against Blacks, Muslims, Asians etc.. there'd be no need for separate communities. If you're looking for blame, look no further than the indigenous folk.[/p][/quote]The community sticks together, but more because of what you say, is to shelter their kids from the evil western influences. Bone_idle18
  • Score: -3

3:08pm Sat 19 Jul 14

PTN says...

It looks like everyone is missing the point here. there is no islamification , there is no segregation , there is no Trojan agenda. The report is full of lies. Go to the school and see for yourselves what its really like. This is about politics and the big parties bullying the little people. Dont beleive everything you read , go out there and seek knowledge and only then will you see whats really going on. if it was that bad why has it been getting positive reports in the past? why only now has it suddenly become so bad. Because some members of the governors refused to be puppets and were actally speaking for themselves. The powers to be dont like that and ranks are very quickly closed especially when you are more interested in which side your bread is buttered. There are people out there in influential positions that know exactly what is happening and in private acknowledge that but in public they dare not utter a word , god forbid they may lose a portfolio , may not be selected to stand in a particular ward next year etc etc. You get the picture. The truth will come out eventually but may be a while yet and in the meantime the people that actaully care and have no interests in portfolios will be villified.
It looks like everyone is missing the point here. there is no islamification , there is no segregation , there is no Trojan agenda. The report is full of lies. Go to the school and see for yourselves what its really like. This is about politics and the big parties bullying the little people. Dont beleive everything you read , go out there and seek knowledge and only then will you see whats really going on. if it was that bad why has it been getting positive reports in the past? why only now has it suddenly become so bad. Because some members of the governors refused to be puppets and were actally speaking for themselves. The powers to be dont like that and ranks are very quickly closed especially when you are more interested in which side your bread is buttered. There are people out there in influential positions that know exactly what is happening and in private acknowledge that but in public they dare not utter a word , god forbid they may lose a portfolio , may not be selected to stand in a particular ward next year etc etc. You get the picture. The truth will come out eventually but may be a while yet and in the meantime the people that actaully care and have no interests in portfolios will be villified. PTN
  • Score: -20

3:55pm Sat 19 Jul 14

They only do damage! says...

No Pakistani muslim will ever accept there wrong. Equally all Pakistani muslims will always defend each other before a none muslim, just look at kings science academy? The parents wer'e protesting over the sacking of the head master who got caught stealing from there childrens school. Crazy backwood people!!!.
No Pakistani muslim will ever accept there wrong. Equally all Pakistani muslims will always defend each other before a none muslim, just look at kings science academy? The parents wer'e protesting over the sacking of the head master who got caught stealing from there childrens school. Crazy backwood people!!!. They only do damage!
  • Score: 26

4:03pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Out of site says...

sunnysidedown wrote:
A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam.

The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.
Why should we bus our pupils around?its our country the solution is to remove the Muslims.
[quote][p][bold]sunnysidedown[/bold] wrote: A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam. The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.[/p][/quote]Why should we bus our pupils around?its our country the solution is to remove the Muslims. Out of site
  • Score: 8

4:14pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Robin of Loxley says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
Mixter wrote:
sunnysidedown wrote:
A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam.

The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.
They dont have to be 'prepared' nowadays. They can live, work, socialise and die totally within their own community nowadays. And lets face it, 'modern Britain' is in many places just that; countries within a country.

I am serious when i say i cannot think of a single county besides the UK that is so far away from what it is meant to be as regards culture and make-up.
If it wasn't for racism against Blacks, Muslims, Asians etc.. there'd be no need for separate communities.

If you're looking for blame, look no further than the indigenous folk.
The community sticks together, but more because of what you say, is to shelter their kids from the evil western influences.
Absolute nonsense.

The reason they're shelter their kids is to protect them from vile racists who wish them harm (as any sane parent would do).
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mixter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sunnysidedown[/bold] wrote: A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam. The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.[/p][/quote]They dont have to be 'prepared' nowadays. They can live, work, socialise and die totally within their own community nowadays. And lets face it, 'modern Britain' is in many places just that; countries within a country. I am serious when i say i cannot think of a single county besides the UK that is so far away from what it is meant to be as regards culture and make-up.[/p][/quote]If it wasn't for racism against Blacks, Muslims, Asians etc.. there'd be no need for separate communities. If you're looking for blame, look no further than the indigenous folk.[/p][/quote]The community sticks together, but more because of what you say, is to shelter their kids from the evil western influences.[/p][/quote]Absolute nonsense. The reason they're shelter their kids is to protect them from vile racists who wish them harm (as any sane parent would do). Robin of Loxley
  • Score: -16

5:27pm Sat 19 Jul 14

PTN says...

Out of site wrote:
sunnysidedown wrote:
A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam.

The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.
Why should we bus our pupils around?its our country the solution is to remove the Muslims.
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!
Do you even understand the quote?
[quote][p][bold]Out of site[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sunnysidedown[/bold] wrote: A school, like Bolling, with a majority of Muslim pupils implies that the majority of the parents will also be Muslim. If enough of these follow the perceived dictates of their faith then it is inevitable that they will want to narrow the curriculum, leaving pupils totally unprepared for life in modern Britain and exposed to the segregationist attitudes and practices of hardline and politicised Islam. The only solution is to bus pupils around the city so no school has a Muslim majority. Inconvenient and expensive; but in the end much cheaper than breeding a generation of murderous jihadists.[/p][/quote]Why should we bus our pupils around?its our country the solution is to remove the Muslims.[/p][/quote]DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! Do you even understand the quote? PTN
  • Score: 3

6:04pm Sat 19 Jul 14

daisy25 says...

Think most on here do not understand the education system. It is part of the national curriculum that all children from year 7-9 take RE, where they learn about ALL world religions. From year 10 (GCSE) you choose to study RE as an option. CB is only following what the department of education tells them to teach.
Think most on here do not understand the education system. It is part of the national curriculum that all children from year 7-9 take RE, where they learn about ALL world religions. From year 10 (GCSE) you choose to study RE as an option. CB is only following what the department of education tells them to teach. daisy25
  • Score: -6

6:29pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Religion is a crock of *****. If you want to learn about religion freely attend a mosque, church, temple, etc.
Religion is a crock of *****. If you want to learn about religion freely attend a mosque, church, temple, etc. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 7

8:16pm Sat 19 Jul 14

LadWithCF says...

In general the secular sate schools should not have a Islamic ethos even when the majority of pupils follow that religion. because it does not comply with with the fact that this is the united kingdom and people are meant to learn the British standard of education. the education in Britain is meant to teach the 3 Rs Reading, Writing and Arithmatic. yet in Bradford is seems highly feesable that there is sever incompetence in many standard on verbal English amongst secondary school pupils, college pupils and University students. the range goes from poor verbal communication or not using the correct grammar. or speaking a different language around people who are not their skin colour.

The main issue itself is the fact the governers were pushing an islamic agenda within a public Secular schools. Also segrating pupils by gender. discouraging female pupils from doing extra ciriicular activities. gender specific trips that not right people should have an equal footing in education. Why does Islam feel the need to segrate by gender, dont say its just how it is because it is not. another point is the facts that Islam are not always comfortable in explaining aspects of their religion

a lot of people are scared of tackling issues about Islam because people fear that they will be accused of islamaphobia/racisim which is a common theme. when people ask questions or state an opinion on a religion more often enough there is no answer or your told your being islamaphobic. in many places people are often intimidated or accused because they dont agree with an opinion on a particular subject.

Carlton Boiling has a Islamic Agenda,since it has banned non halal food on school premises such as pork. i have been told by Academic Visiting the school that they have observed gender Segration and being told that there is no pork or non halal food to be brought on sight.
In general the secular sate schools should not have a Islamic ethos even when the majority of pupils follow that religion. because it does not comply with with the fact that this is the united kingdom and people are meant to learn the British standard of education. the education in Britain is meant to teach the 3 Rs Reading, Writing and Arithmatic. yet in Bradford is seems highly feesable that there is sever incompetence in many standard on verbal English amongst secondary school pupils, college pupils and University students. the range goes from poor verbal communication or not using the correct grammar. or speaking a different language around people who are not their skin colour. The main issue itself is the fact the governers were pushing an islamic agenda within a public Secular schools. Also segrating pupils by gender. discouraging female pupils from doing extra ciriicular activities. gender specific trips that not right people should have an equal footing in education. Why does Islam feel the need to segrate by gender, dont say its just how it is because it is not. another point is the facts that Islam are not always comfortable in explaining aspects of their religion a lot of people are scared of tackling issues about Islam because people fear that they will be accused of islamaphobia/racisim which is a common theme. when people ask questions or state an opinion on a religion more often enough there is no answer or your told your being islamaphobic. in many places people are often intimidated or accused because they dont agree with an opinion on a particular subject. Carlton Boiling has a Islamic Agenda,since it has banned non halal food on school premises such as pork. i have been told by Academic Visiting the school that they have observed gender Segration and being told that there is no pork or non halal food to be brought on sight. LadWithCF
  • Score: 14

10:07pm Sat 19 Jul 14

idf fanclub says...

Calm down kids. Remember, as we all know - any complaints about Muslims are based on lies and a global conspiracy going back centuries.

They are never guilty of anything. 9/11; ISIS, Boko Haram, firing rockets at Jews; killing Lee Rigby, etc. All lies and more lies. All done by Israel and the CIA. To doo down da faithful, steal our oil and our camels.

And now this latest nonsense in little ol' Barfdord. Spreading Islamist extremism in schools? The very idea! As if.

And we all know that Paradise Barfdord has the best education system in the UK. Just look at the school league tables showing how smart we all are.

Ofsted is obviously an Israeli Secret Service organisation. This has been known for many years.

Rise up brothers and sisters and march on City Hall (sisters at the back of course).
Calm down kids. Remember, as we all know - any complaints about Muslims are based on lies and a global conspiracy going back centuries. They are never guilty of anything. 9/11; ISIS, Boko Haram, firing rockets at Jews; killing Lee Rigby, etc. All lies and more lies. All done by Israel and the CIA. To doo down da faithful, steal our oil and our camels. And now this latest nonsense in little ol' Barfdord. Spreading Islamist extremism in schools? The very idea! As if. And we all know that Paradise Barfdord has the best education system in the UK. Just look at the school league tables showing how smart we all are. Ofsted is obviously an Israeli Secret Service organisation. This has been known for many years. Rise up brothers and sisters and march on City Hall (sisters at the back of course). idf fanclub
  • Score: 26

3:03am Sun 20 Jul 14

Smile! says...

Having a close friend who has been a staff member at Carlton Bolling I have heard many things about this place. Ok, say we accept this is true, there is a Trojan horse plot, where is the Head Teacher in all of this? No decisions can be made without the head so what was his or her agenda? Why is the head not speaking up now? Anyone who knows anyone that worked in that school will tell you that racism and sexism is very much alive in that school. Staff are treated like scum and management the head and education bradford simply do what they want. Not surprised to see Carlton Bolling publicised negatively at all. Governors sacked...sack the head and education bradford too.. Agree with earlier comment of bring back serco.
Having a close friend who has been a staff member at Carlton Bolling I have heard many things about this place. Ok, say we accept this is true, there is a Trojan horse plot, where is the Head Teacher in all of this? No decisions can be made without the head so what was his or her agenda? Why is the head not speaking up now? Anyone who knows anyone that worked in that school will tell you that racism and sexism is very much alive in that school. Staff are treated like scum and management the head and education bradford simply do what they want. Not surprised to see Carlton Bolling publicised negatively at all. Governors sacked...sack the head and education bradford too.. Agree with earlier comment of bring back serco. Smile!
  • Score: 7

9:22am Sun 20 Jul 14

justjustice says...

K, but who was sacked over the fiasco with Westfield for not adding deadline and fines for not not meeting those deadlines?
K, but who was sacked over the fiasco with Westfield for not adding deadline and fines for not not meeting those deadlines? justjustice
  • Score: -2

10:32am Sun 20 Jul 14

Albion. says...

justjustice wrote:
K, but who was sacked over the fiasco with Westfield for not adding deadline and fines for not not meeting those deadlines?
What relevance does that have?
[quote][p][bold]justjustice[/bold] wrote: K, but who was sacked over the fiasco with Westfield for not adding deadline and fines for not not meeting those deadlines?[/p][/quote]What relevance does that have? Albion.
  • Score: 7

12:23pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Smile! says...

The head mr Adrian Kershaw should be ashamed of himself. Whilst his school is being slandered all over the media, he has no comment to make. Whatever the governors did could not have happened without the approval of the head. Rather he is too busy bullying and harassing staff and trying to drive them out so he can bring his own acquaintances to work with him. What kind of fairness is that? When employees complain they are threatened with dismissal and/or given an ultimatum to silence their outrage. If this is the way staff are treat at the school, what chance do the young students have? If this 'extremism' has been brought to the surface then so should all of the other tactics used by the head and education bradford. Corrupt to the core
The head mr Adrian Kershaw should be ashamed of himself. Whilst his school is being slandered all over the media, he has no comment to make. Whatever the governors did could not have happened without the approval of the head. Rather he is too busy bullying and harassing staff and trying to drive them out so he can bring his own acquaintances to work with him. What kind of fairness is that? When employees complain they are threatened with dismissal and/or given an ultimatum to silence their outrage. If this is the way staff are treat at the school, what chance do the young students have? If this 'extremism' has been brought to the surface then so should all of the other tactics used by the head and education bradford. Corrupt to the core Smile!
  • Score: -5

11:53pm Sun 20 Jul 14

GlobalSingh says...

This is absolutely unacceptable to have the United Kingdom with this unholy mess of Third World corrupt cultures and misogynistic and sectarian ideology taking over our schools and communities in such a systemic and highly disturbing way!
This is absolutely unacceptable to have the United Kingdom with this unholy mess of Third World corrupt cultures and misogynistic and sectarian ideology taking over our schools and communities in such a systemic and highly disturbing way! GlobalSingh
  • Score: 11

7:21am Mon 21 Jul 14

SinnerSaint says...

Smile! wrote:
Having a close friend who has been a staff member at Carlton Bolling I have heard many things about this place. Ok, say we accept this is true, there is a Trojan horse plot, where is the Head Teacher in all of this? No decisions can be made without the head so what was his or her agenda? Why is the head not speaking up now? Anyone who knows anyone that worked in that school will tell you that racism and sexism is very much alive in that school. Staff are treated like scum and management the head and education bradford simply do what they want. Not surprised to see Carlton Bolling publicised negatively at all. Governors sacked...sack the head and education bradford too.. Agree with earlier comment of bring back serco.
I think the problem is that a lot of decisions ARE made without the head. Did you not read the article?

"In my 30 years of education I have never known a school where every single teaching appointment is made by the governors."
[quote][p][bold]Smile![/bold] wrote: Having a close friend who has been a staff member at Carlton Bolling I have heard many things about this place. Ok, say we accept this is true, there is a Trojan horse plot, where is the Head Teacher in all of this? No decisions can be made without the head so what was his or her agenda? Why is the head not speaking up now? Anyone who knows anyone that worked in that school will tell you that racism and sexism is very much alive in that school. Staff are treated like scum and management the head and education bradford simply do what they want. Not surprised to see Carlton Bolling publicised negatively at all. Governors sacked...sack the head and education bradford too.. Agree with earlier comment of bring back serco.[/p][/quote]I think the problem is that a lot of decisions ARE made without the head. Did you not read the article? "In my 30 years of education I have never known a school where every single teaching appointment is made by the governors." SinnerSaint
  • Score: 10

7:38am Mon 21 Jul 14

Smile! says...

That's impossible. Anyone with an education background will tell you that every decision is made by the head. Governors play an influential role, but it all boils down to the head to make or break
That's impossible. Anyone with an education background will tell you that every decision is made by the head. Governors play an influential role, but it all boils down to the head to make or break Smile!
  • Score: -6

9:19am Mon 21 Jul 14

SinnerSaint says...

Smile! wrote:
That's impossible. Anyone with an education background will tell you that every decision is made by the head. Governors play an influential role, but it all boils down to the head to make or break
In any "normal" educational establishment... By that I mean normal for the UK - not in a corrupt, third-world country.
[quote][p][bold]Smile![/bold] wrote: That's impossible. Anyone with an education background will tell you that every decision is made by the head. Governors play an influential role, but it all boils down to the head to make or break[/p][/quote]In any "normal" educational establishment... By that I mean normal for the UK - not in a corrupt, third-world country. SinnerSaint
  • Score: 9

2:40pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Realtruth says...

I have children in this school. To be honest, what the report says is not what I see with my children and their friends.

One of my children went on the trip to London. Boys and girls went.
In fact, none of my children have ever been on a trip at any time where both sexes weren't present.

They took them to France a year or so ago as a residential and boys and girls from all faiths went and stayed.

From my experience the only time the boys and girls are separate is when they use the changing rooms for P.E & the toilets!!

They have always studied all religions as part of RE. None of my children have been only taught what the Muslims believe. They have all learnt about all the diverse religions and atheism & agnostics. After Year 10 then they are taught 2 like any other school as required by government.

The name calling is also a non issue, kids call each other names. The European kids call the other children names just as much as the other ethnicities.

The new Head, Mr. Kneeshaw is brilliant and is driving standards etc. higher.

To be honest, Carlton is no different to any other secondary school. Okay, could do better.

Everything else I personally think this is more to do with 'the powers that be' having an agenda of scoring political points etc. not to mention jumping on a bandwagon of 'tackling so called extremism' (of which there has been none EVER at this school)

I think the Chair of Governors being removed is more because of people playing politics than anything else.

As for the staff complaining, unfortunately for them, the strict headteacher who demands results is remaining so pull your socks up folks!

As a ps. does anyone else feel how strange it is that Ofsted have been going round rating schools as good & outstanding & as soon as politics become involved the very same schools are now in special measures?

I think Ofsted needs to be overhauled. They should check the stadard of education children receive, that's all. Any other nonsense I think another task force such as Prevent (which tackles extremism etc. ) should be going into schools to deliver a set program for all kids. Paradoxically, Carlton had already signed up for this!

Here's hoping my children leave school with a decent education despite all the ridiculous nonsense going on around them.
I have children in this school. To be honest, what the report says is not what I see with my children and their friends. One of my children went on the trip to London. Boys and girls went. In fact, none of my children have ever been on a trip at any time where both sexes weren't present. They took them to France a year or so ago as a residential and boys and girls from all faiths went and stayed. From my experience the only time the boys and girls are separate is when they use the changing rooms for P.E & the toilets!! They have always studied all religions as part of RE. None of my children have been only taught what the Muslims believe. They have all learnt about all the diverse religions and atheism & agnostics. After Year 10 then they are taught 2 like any other school as required by government. The name calling is also a non issue, kids call each other names. The European kids call the other children names just as much as the other ethnicities. The new Head, Mr. Kneeshaw is brilliant and is driving standards etc. higher. To be honest, Carlton is no different to any other secondary school. Okay, could do better. Everything else I personally think this is more to do with 'the powers that be' having an agenda of scoring political points etc. not to mention jumping on a bandwagon of 'tackling so called extremism' (of which there has been none EVER at this school) I think the Chair of Governors being removed is more because of people playing politics than anything else. As for the staff complaining, unfortunately for them, the strict headteacher who demands results is remaining so pull your socks up folks! As a ps. does anyone else feel how strange it is that Ofsted have been going round rating schools as good & outstanding & as soon as politics become involved the very same schools are now in special measures? I think Ofsted needs to be overhauled. They should check the stadard of education children receive, that's all. Any other nonsense I think another task force such as Prevent (which tackles extremism etc. ) should be going into schools to deliver a set program for all kids. Paradoxically, Carlton had already signed up for this! Here's hoping my children leave school with a decent education despite all the ridiculous nonsense going on around them. Realtruth
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree