Contracts for work on Broadway shopping centre awarded to 12 Yorkshire companies

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Workers on the Westfield site installing steelwork Workers on the Westfield site installing steelwork

CONTRACTS for work on the £275 million Broadway shopping centre have so far been awarded to 12 Yorkshire companies, it has been announced.

Developer Westfield says more than three quarters of the value of contracts at the site have to date gone to Bradford area firms.

The latest batch of contractors are carrying out a range of work on the 570,000 sq ft scheme, with Bradford companies involved in mechanical and electrical engineering, groundwork and concrete and security.

Bradford-based contractors include Pitts Wilson, Moortown Construction and Boss Security while Clearwell in Brighouse is providing pest control services. Other contracts have been award to suppliers in Thirsk, Doncaster, York, Ripon, Pontefract and Sheffield.

Moortown Construction, based on the Euroway trading estate, off the M606, was the first contractor to be appointed when construction work started six months ago. It has more than 90 employees working at Broadway and expects to be on the city centre site until Christmas .

Its involvement has created jobs for three apprentices through Bradford’s Apprenticeship Training Agency – set up by Bradford Council as part of the local authority’s Get Bradford Working programme. The firm is now seeking more apprentices along with more graduates after hiring a civil and structural engineering graduate from the University of Bradford.

Keith Whitmore, Westfield head of design and construction, said: “We remain committed to working with supply chain partners from across the region where practically possible and today’s announcement demonstrates the innovation and expertise that exists in many firms in Yorkshire.”

Mark Flude, managing director of Pitts Wilson, said: “With our history of over a century in business, we have partnered with another longstanding Bradford company Mitton Mechanical to provide the M&E services to this impressive project. Two local experienced companies employing local labour – a great tale to tell and boost to the Bradford economy."

Bradford Council Leader, Cllr David Green, said: "It's really good to see businesses from the Bradford district benefiting from the construction of the Broadway shopping centre and we welcome the boost in jobs this will bring to local people.

"We have invested in enhancing people's skills through setting up an Apprenticeship Training Agency as part of our Get Bradford Working programme to ensure local people could take up any opportunities that came their way. This major shopping development is a golden opportunity.

"In the long term, we hope the increased footfall the development will generate, will in turn boost existing businesses in the city centre and help the local economy go from strength to strength”

More than half of the space at the Broadway centre has been let, including to anchor tenant Debenhams , Marks & Spencer and Next, with further major UK retailers under negotiation.

The scheme will create around 1,500 construction jobs and 2,500 new retail jobs.

THE CONTRACTS

  • Pitts Wilson, of Bradford (engineering)
  • Moortown Construction, of Bradford (groundworks)
  • Boss Security, of Bradford (security)
  • Cementation Skanska, of Doncaster (piling)
  • Severfield-Rowen, of Thirsk (steelworks)
  • Foremans, of York (accommodation)
  • Benchmark, of Barnsley (scaffolding)
  • Northern Steel Decking, of Sheffield (decking)
  • T W Catering, of Pontefract (catering)
  • Clearwell, of Brighouse (pest control)
  • Ebor Concrete, of Ripon (staircases)
  • Dearnside Fabrications, of Sheffield (handrails)

 

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:17pm Wed 16 Jul 14

informer says...

The scheme will create around 1,500 construction jobs and 2,500 new retail jobs

They must think the public are stupid. The 1,500 jobs are only for the duration of the build and most of the other jobs will be filled by the staff from the shops that will be closing down to move into Westfield.
The scheme will create around 1,500 construction jobs and 2,500 new retail jobs They must think the public are stupid. The 1,500 jobs are only for the duration of the build and most of the other jobs will be filled by the staff from the shops that will be closing down to move into Westfield. informer
  • Score: -5

8:19pm Wed 16 Jul 14

informer says...

informer wrote:
The scheme will create around 1,500 construction jobs and 2,500 new retail jobs

They must think the public are stupid. The 1,500 jobs are only for the duration of the build and most of the other jobs will be filled by the staff from the shops that will be closing down to move into Westfield.
Saying that it is good news for local business.
[quote][p][bold]informer[/bold] wrote: The scheme will create around 1,500 construction jobs and 2,500 new retail jobs They must think the public are stupid. The 1,500 jobs are only for the duration of the build and most of the other jobs will be filled by the staff from the shops that will be closing down to move into Westfield.[/p][/quote]Saying that it is good news for local business. informer
  • Score: 15

8:49pm Wed 16 Jul 14

angry bradfordian says...

informer wrote:
The scheme will create around 1,500 construction jobs and 2,500 new retail jobs

They must think the public are stupid. The 1,500 jobs are only for the duration of the build and most of the other jobs will be filled by the staff from the shops that will be closing down to move into Westfield.
It gets my goat every time I read this spin.

I heard an apologist for HS2 on the radio and they are only claiming it will create 10,000 jobs! I assume they actually mean 1,500 people will pass through the gate at some point- hardly the same.

I'm also cynical about the 2,500 retail jobs. If there are 70 outlets that's an AVERAGE of 35 jobs per shop! That sounds a tall order when so many of the shops are moving from other properties.
[quote][p][bold]informer[/bold] wrote: The scheme will create around 1,500 construction jobs and 2,500 new retail jobs They must think the public are stupid. The 1,500 jobs are only for the duration of the build and most of the other jobs will be filled by the staff from the shops that will be closing down to move into Westfield.[/p][/quote]It gets my goat every time I read this spin. I heard an apologist for HS2 on the radio and they are only claiming it will create 10,000 jobs! I assume they actually mean 1,500 people will pass through the gate at some point- hardly the same. I'm also cynical about the 2,500 retail jobs. If there are 70 outlets that's an AVERAGE of 35 jobs per shop! That sounds a tall order when so many of the shops are moving from other properties. angry bradfordian
  • Score: 11

10:01pm Wed 16 Jul 14

blue marlin says...

Weather you agree with the job figures or any new job must be good news an TBH the city has had very little of that for many a year.
Weather you agree with the job figures or any new job must be good news an TBH the city has had very little of that for many a year. blue marlin
  • Score: 10

10:37am Thu 17 Jul 14

bcfc1903 says...

This is great news, so glad that Westfield are using local businesses to help build this fantastic shopping centre. They really are putting the heart back into Bradford. Some things are worth waiting for and this along with hopefully the redevelopment of the Odeon building into a world class music venue, the finishing off of City Park with the demolition of the old police station and the building of new offices, the tunnels scheme, the Kirkgate Square scheme, the new swimming pool scheme along with other projects yet to be made public.

How about re jigging the magistrates courts entrance, making the present entrance the rear of the building, demolishing the steps and adding something similar to the banana building opposite in City Park.
This is great news, so glad that Westfield are using local businesses to help build this fantastic shopping centre. They really are putting the heart back into Bradford. Some things are worth waiting for and this along with hopefully the redevelopment of the Odeon building into a world class music venue, the finishing off of City Park with the demolition of the old police station and the building of new offices, the tunnels scheme, the Kirkgate Square scheme, the new swimming pool scheme along with other projects yet to be made public. How about re jigging the magistrates courts entrance, making the present entrance the rear of the building, demolishing the steps and adding something similar to the banana building opposite in City Park. bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

12:24pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

50% let - great news.

1500 construction jobs - excellent. Even though these are not permanent jobs, it provides a good stop gap for people during tough times.

2500 NEW retail jobs! That is excellent news.

I've no doubt there'll be the usual doom mongers along in due course.
50% let - great news. 1500 construction jobs - excellent. Even though these are not permanent jobs, it provides a good stop gap for people during tough times. 2500 NEW retail jobs! That is excellent news. I've no doubt there'll be the usual doom mongers along in due course. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 3

12:30pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

I doubt all 2500 jobs will just be transfers from other city stores.

also, who cares if the 1500 construction jobs are temporary - the construction industry was hit severely by the recession, by the time those 1500 jobs are gone, the industry should be back on it's feet.
I doubt all 2500 jobs will just be transfers from other city stores. also, who cares if the 1500 construction jobs are temporary - the construction industry was hit severely by the recession, by the time those 1500 jobs are gone, the industry should be back on it's feet. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 1

1:06pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Today's news.

More than half of the space at the Broadway centre has been let, including to anchor tenant Debenhams , Marks & Spencer and Next, with further major UK retailers under negotiation.

October last year.

More than half the floorspace in the £320 million Westfield shopping centre on Broadway is now “spoken for” by retailers, with more expected to sign up soon.

Not much movement forward as far as I can see. Some people are easily fooled.
Today's news. More than half of the space at the Broadway centre has been let, including to anchor tenant Debenhams , Marks & Spencer and Next, with further major UK retailers under negotiation. October last year. More than half the floorspace in the £320 million Westfield shopping centre on Broadway is now “spoken for” by retailers, with more expected to sign up soon. Not much movement forward as far as I can see. Some people are easily fooled. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -3

1:12pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

To put this into simple terms.

Wakefield Trinity Walk is 55,000 sq m. This will be 53,000 sq m of retail.

Wakefield is about a third the size of Bradford.
To put this into simple terms. Wakefield Trinity Walk is 55,000 sq m. This will be 53,000 sq m of retail. Wakefield is about a third the size of Bradford. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 1

1:22pm Thu 17 Jul 14

linebacker2 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
To put this into simple terms.

Wakefield Trinity Walk is 55,000 sq m. This will be 53,000 sq m of retail.

Wakefield is about a third the size of Bradford.
From your previous two posts it's clear you've spent time researching things to try find a negative slant on the subject.

Ever thought where you might be in life if you used your time and talent to a worthwhile use?
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: To put this into simple terms. Wakefield Trinity Walk is 55,000 sq m. This will be 53,000 sq m of retail. Wakefield is about a third the size of Bradford.[/p][/quote]From your previous two posts it's clear you've spent time researching things to try find a negative slant on the subject. Ever thought where you might be in life if you used your time and talent to a worthwhile use? linebacker2
  • Score: 2

1:35pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Farsley Bantam says...

linebacker2 wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
To put this into simple terms.

Wakefield Trinity Walk is 55,000 sq m. This will be 53,000 sq m of retail.

Wakefield is about a third the size of Bradford.
From your previous two posts it's clear you've spent time researching things to try find a negative slant on the subject.

Ever thought where you might be in life if you used your time and talent to a worthwhile use?
All articles on this subject need to be taken with a whole mine of salt!

We have been told lie after lie after lie about this project and experience tells us that any 'good' news story needs to be questioned.
[quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: To put this into simple terms. Wakefield Trinity Walk is 55,000 sq m. This will be 53,000 sq m of retail. Wakefield is about a third the size of Bradford.[/p][/quote]From your previous two posts it's clear you've spent time researching things to try find a negative slant on the subject. Ever thought where you might be in life if you used your time and talent to a worthwhile use?[/p][/quote]All articles on this subject need to be taken with a whole mine of salt! We have been told lie after lie after lie about this project and experience tells us that any 'good' news story needs to be questioned. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 0

1:59pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Some people prefer to believe the fairytale, and they don't like facts because it points to a reality they wish didn't exist.

Bradford is finally 10 years late, having a shopping center built smaller than the size of the one that Wakefield already has. When you say it like that it's really hits home what an embarrassment this who thing is.

The same stores keep getting mentioned over and over, Debenhams, check, Next, check, M&S, check. Same rubbish different day to keep the fairtale alive.
Some people prefer to believe the fairytale, and they don't like facts because it points to a reality they wish didn't exist. Bradford is finally 10 years late, having a shopping center built smaller than the size of the one that Wakefield already has. When you say it like that it's really hits home what an embarrassment this who thing is. The same stores keep getting mentioned over and over, Debenhams, check, Next, check, M&S, check. Same rubbish different day to keep the fairtale alive. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -2

2:40pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

I think, what people really fail to appreciate here, is that a company is ploughing £100's of millions into the scheme, an investment company who's business it is to make money.

But seemingly, there are people on here who know far more than Meyer Bergman, I assume these people are living on their own private islands in the Caribbean, getting their servants to type their replies!

Or, if they are still resident in Bradford, with their amazing business acumen, surely they could make massive improvements to the (so called) dump of a city!
I think, what people really fail to appreciate here, is that a company is ploughing £100's of millions into the scheme, an investment company who's business it is to make money. But seemingly, there are people on here who know far more than Meyer Bergman, I assume these people are living on their own private islands in the Caribbean, getting their servants to type their replies! Or, if they are still resident in Bradford, with their amazing business acumen, surely they could make massive improvements to the (so called) dump of a city! Bone_idle18
  • Score: 12

3:13pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Someone got their servant to vote me down eh?
Someone got their servant to vote me down eh? Bone_idle18
  • Score: 0

3:16pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

However, can't think of a reply so just content with the thumbs down :)

Maybe my post coincided with the close of the stock marked somewhere, and they were busy counting their millions made that day so only had chance to click the thumbs down and no come up with an intelligent reply to the question of why anyone would invest nearly £300million in a "doomed" project?

Or maybe, the penny has dropped, and the doom sayers have eaten humble pie and realise they don't know much about business?
However, can't think of a reply so just content with the thumbs down :) Maybe my post coincided with the close of the stock marked somewhere, and they were busy counting their millions made that day so only had chance to click the thumbs down and no come up with an intelligent reply to the question of why anyone would invest nearly £300million in a "doomed" project? Or maybe, the penny has dropped, and the doom sayers have eaten humble pie and realise they don't know much about business? Bone_idle18
  • Score: 5

3:47pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Farsley Bantam says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
I think, what people really fail to appreciate here, is that a company is ploughing £100's of millions into the scheme, an investment company who's business it is to make money.

But seemingly, there are people on here who know far more than Meyer Bergman, I assume these people are living on their own private islands in the Caribbean, getting their servants to type their replies!

Or, if they are still resident in Bradford, with their amazing business acumen, surely they could make massive improvements to the (so called) dump of a city!
I don't think many people doubt that Westfield itself will be successful. I'm sure it will. Where people have reservations is the benefit it will bring to Bradford as a whole. It is talked about as if it will be the panacea to all of Bradford's problems but I can't see it happening myself.
The job creation figures are pretty questionable to be honest, given that many of the stores will be relocations from the city centre.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: I think, what people really fail to appreciate here, is that a company is ploughing £100's of millions into the scheme, an investment company who's business it is to make money. But seemingly, there are people on here who know far more than Meyer Bergman, I assume these people are living on their own private islands in the Caribbean, getting their servants to type their replies! Or, if they are still resident in Bradford, with their amazing business acumen, surely they could make massive improvements to the (so called) dump of a city![/p][/quote]I don't think many people doubt that Westfield itself will be successful. I'm sure it will. Where people have reservations is the benefit it will bring to Bradford as a whole. It is talked about as if it will be the panacea to all of Bradford's problems but I can't see it happening myself. The job creation figures are pretty questionable to be honest, given that many of the stores will be relocations from the city centre. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 2

5:29pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Bantamzen says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote:
I think, what people really fail to appreciate here, is that a company is ploughing £100's of millions into the scheme, an investment company who's business it is to make money.

But seemingly, there are people on here who know far more than Meyer Bergman, I assume these people are living on their own private islands in the Caribbean, getting their servants to type their replies!

Or, if they are still resident in Bradford, with their amazing business acumen, surely they could make massive improvements to the (so called) dump of a city!
I don't think many people doubt that Westfield itself will be successful. I'm sure it will. Where people have reservations is the benefit it will bring to Bradford as a whole. It is talked about as if it will be the panacea to all of Bradford's problems but I can't see it happening myself.
The job creation figures are pretty questionable to be honest, given that many of the stores will be relocations from the city centre.
Well when you consider that one of the key stores is new to Bradford, then there will certainly be new jobs. The assumption seems to be that the new centre will be filled with existing retailers, but this isn't necessarily going to be the case. There are an awful lot of high street retailers, as well as food outlets, that do not have a presence in the city. And for all the criticism aimed at them, Westfield do have plenty of experience attracting them to their various other centres around the country. So I expect that as the project continues, more new retailers will be announced. Remember it's not due to open for another year yet, so there's still quite some time to go before judgements can be made.
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: I think, what people really fail to appreciate here, is that a company is ploughing £100's of millions into the scheme, an investment company who's business it is to make money. But seemingly, there are people on here who know far more than Meyer Bergman, I assume these people are living on their own private islands in the Caribbean, getting their servants to type their replies! Or, if they are still resident in Bradford, with their amazing business acumen, surely they could make massive improvements to the (so called) dump of a city![/p][/quote]I don't think many people doubt that Westfield itself will be successful. I'm sure it will. Where people have reservations is the benefit it will bring to Bradford as a whole. It is talked about as if it will be the panacea to all of Bradford's problems but I can't see it happening myself. The job creation figures are pretty questionable to be honest, given that many of the stores will be relocations from the city centre.[/p][/quote]Well when you consider that one of the key stores is new to Bradford, then there will certainly be new jobs. The assumption seems to be that the new centre will be filled with existing retailers, but this isn't necessarily going to be the case. There are an awful lot of high street retailers, as well as food outlets, that do not have a presence in the city. And for all the criticism aimed at them, Westfield do have plenty of experience attracting them to their various other centres around the country. So I expect that as the project continues, more new retailers will be announced. Remember it's not due to open for another year yet, so there's still quite some time to go before judgements can be made. Bantamzen
  • Score: 5

11:30am Fri 18 Jul 14

idf fanclub says...

Old Brownie's having yet another Barfdord ****:

"This is great news, so glad that Westfield..." etc, etc.

And why not? Someone has to help the Council Propaganda Dept spread their duplicitous, devious babble about Paradise Barfdord.

Does anyone seriously believe that if anyone from outside this city has a choice of going to (say) Leeds, Wakefield or even Brighouse - they are going to come here?

Err...no.

The only people that the Broadway Shoppawoppa are going to attract are people who live here or have no other choice.

Not to mention all the empty properties when retailers relocate to the BS.

Keep polishing those rose tinted glasses folks.
Old Brownie's having yet another Barfdord ****: "This is great news, so glad that Westfield..." etc, etc. And why not? Someone has to help the Council Propaganda Dept spread their duplicitous, devious babble about Paradise Barfdord. Does anyone seriously believe that if anyone from outside this city has a choice of going to (say) Leeds, Wakefield or even Brighouse - they are going to come here? Err...no. The only people that the Broadway Shoppawoppa are going to attract are people who live here or have no other choice. Not to mention all the empty properties when retailers relocate to the BS. Keep polishing those rose tinted glasses folks. idf fanclub
  • Score: 1

7:01pm Wed 23 Jul 14

bcfc1903 says...

This is great news, so glad that Westfield are using local businesses to help build this fantastic shopping centre. They really are putting the heart back into Bradford. Some things are worth waiting for and this along with hopefully the redevelopment of the Odeon building into a world class music venue, the finishing off of City Park with the demolition of the old police station and the building of new offices, the tunnels scheme, the Kirkgate Square scheme, the new swimming pool scheme along with other projects yet to be made public.

How about re jigging the magistrates courts entrance, making the present entrance the rear of the building, demolishing the steps and adding something similar to the banana building opposite in City Park.
This is great news, so glad that Westfield are using local businesses to help build this fantastic shopping centre. They really are putting the heart back into Bradford. Some things are worth waiting for and this along with hopefully the redevelopment of the Odeon building into a world class music venue, the finishing off of City Park with the demolition of the old police station and the building of new offices, the tunnels scheme, the Kirkgate Square scheme, the new swimming pool scheme along with other projects yet to be made public. How about re jigging the magistrates courts entrance, making the present entrance the rear of the building, demolishing the steps and adding something similar to the banana building opposite in City Park. bcfc1903
  • Score: 0

7:01pm Wed 23 Jul 14

bcfc1903 says...

This is great news, so glad that Westfield are using local businesses to help build this fantastic shopping centre. They really are putting the heart back into Bradford. Some things are worth waiting for and this along with hopefully the redevelopment of the Odeon building into a world class music venue, the finishing off of City Park with the demolition of the old police station and the building of new offices, the tunnels scheme, the Kirkgate Square scheme, the new swimming pool scheme along with other projects yet to be made public.

How about re jigging the magistrates courts entrance, making the present entrance the rear of the building, demolishing the steps and adding something similar to the banana building opposite in City Park.
This is great news, so glad that Westfield are using local businesses to help build this fantastic shopping centre. They really are putting the heart back into Bradford. Some things are worth waiting for and this along with hopefully the redevelopment of the Odeon building into a world class music venue, the finishing off of City Park with the demolition of the old police station and the building of new offices, the tunnels scheme, the Kirkgate Square scheme, the new swimming pool scheme along with other projects yet to be made public. How about re jigging the magistrates courts entrance, making the present entrance the rear of the building, demolishing the steps and adding something similar to the banana building opposite in City Park. bcfc1903
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree