Royal British Legion condemns travellers for disrespecting Bradford war memorial (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Royal British Legion condemns travellers for disrespecting Bradford war memorial
7:01am Saturday 12th July 2014 in News
A FURIOUS member of the Royal British Legion has condemned a group of travellers after a war memorial in Bradford was disrespected.
Jeffrey Long was reacting to news that a poppy wreath at the Cenotaph in Low Moor had been cast aside by members of a travelling group that has set up camp around the memorial.
The travellers arrived on the Cleckheaton Road site on Tuesday evening.
On Wednesday a man from the travellers' group, who refused to be named, told the Telegraph & Argus that they had no idea they were on a war memorial site. He apologised, said the group would be gone by Wednesday night, and insisted children would be kept away from the memorial.
However, they were still there yesterday and children could be seen clambering on the memorial. A poppy wreath had also been cast aside.
Mr Long, a member of the Bradford Central branch of the Royal British Legion, said: "One cannot describe the feeling, really. What words can you say?
He added: "I am very disappointed, after they apologised and said they would move.
"The word is gutted - I really am gutted. I was so relieved they apologised. I have no time for them now."
A primary school in Bradford has also been forced to postpone its summer fete which was due to be held today after a separate group of travellers set up camp earlier this week on the field it was going to be held on.
Clayton Primary School and Nursery announced the postponement on its website.
Head teacher Joanna Kurasinski said: "The school and the Parents, Teacher and Friends Association have taken the joint decision to postpone our summer fete until September 13.
"The decision has not been taken lightly, but we consider it to be in the best interests of our school community to ensure we have a successful event.
"We are continuing to work closely with the local authority to resolve the current situation as soon as possible."
John Major, Bradford Council's assistant director for environmental health and regulatory services, said: "We are aware of these sites and will be visiting them.
"If they are on Council-owned land we will be starting the court process as quickly as possible to obtain a possession order to remove those camped on it."
A Council spokesman warned the court process could take up to ten days.