Bradford print firm Global Media Production collapses at cost of almost 200 jobs

VIDEO: Bradford print firm collapses at cost of almost 200 jobs

Global Media Productions which has ceased trading

Global Media Productions premises

Staff leave Global Media Production after it was announced the firm has ceased trading

BOMBSHELL: Staff leave premises at Global Media Productions after learning the company has collapsed

First published in News
Last updated

CLOSE to 200 jobs have been lost at a Bradford printing company as it ceased trading yesterday after calling in the administrators.

A last-ditch re-financing deal had been set up to try to save Global Media Production, based in Battye Street, Laisterdyke, but the move collapsed late on Monday.

Staff said they were then told not to come into work, and informed that wages, which were due last Thursday and then promised for yesterday, would not be paid.

A number of staff did turn up at the company yesterday where they stood outside its reception area in protest at their wages remaining unpaid.

They said they had been told the company was due to enter administration, and that any outstanding wages, notice period and holiday pay would have to be claimed back through then Government.

A spokesman for the firm later confirmed the business was going into an administration process that would affect "all staff," with the administrators, chartered accountants Baker Tilly, due on site yesterday.

Global MP was formed in November last year via the re-naming of St Ives Direct Bradford Ltd, which investment group Cogent B2B, headed up by Kevin Dunstall, bought in an £8 million deal last September.

Mr Dunstall failed to respond to requests for a comment from the Telegraph & Argus yesterday, but a Global MP spokesman said: "The owner has done everything he possibly could to re-finance this business, but ultimately at the 11th hour it proved unsuccessful.

"He had no choice but to put the business into administration.

"Finance did appear to be in place right up until Monday lunchtime, but something happened and the deal fell through.

"The whole point of the re-financing was to pay staff's wages, and the primary motivation was to make sure they got paid.

"The management team are very upset it has come to this."

One staff member, who did not want to be named, said: "We were told last week that there would have to be cuts, but now there is no hope.

"People are angry, because essentially they've been working for free. It's been a maddening experience."

Another worker said: "No-one really knows what is going on, but we think everyone will be made redundant.

"We haven't been paid, so it was kind of half-expected. We all knew there was something going on, as we were told not to come into work last night and today.

"It's not good, there's not many print jobs out there, so it's going to be tough."

Some staff said the re-financing deal had fallen through due to printing presses used, but not owned, by the firm being sold to a different company.

Close Brothers Asset Finance owns the equipment in question, but the group declined to comment on the situation.

Chris Ratten, one of the joint administrators at Baker Tilly, confirmed Global MP had now ceased to trade, but suggested a lower number of staff, 150, had been made redundant.

"The cash flow issues at the company were such that administration was the only option to protect the remaining assets for the benefit of creditors," Mr Ratten said.

"Regrettably we have had to make a number of people redundant, and our specialist employee team will be assisting them to make the relevant claims with the Redundancy Payments Service."

Comments (48)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:57am Wed 2 Jul 14

bd7 helper says...

Too many managers after a bonus
Too many managers after a bonus bd7 helper
  • Score: -25

8:35am Wed 2 Jul 14

OLDLAD says...

Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?
Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE? OLDLAD
  • Score: 27

8:40am Wed 2 Jul 14

Banni2 says...

bd7 helper wrote:
Too many managers after a bonus
You should engage your brain before you open your mouth, all members of the workforce including hard working managers have lost there jobs.
If you can't say anything constructive then shut up.
[quote][p][bold]bd7 helper[/bold] wrote: Too many managers after a bonus[/p][/quote]You should engage your brain before you open your mouth, all members of the workforce including hard working managers have lost there jobs. If you can't say anything constructive then shut up. Banni2
  • Score: 37

8:41am Wed 2 Jul 14

sorrow&anger says...

In the space of three weeks we’ve had redundancy announcements from Virgin, Morissons’, Provident, McBrides Global Media and now Global Media.

How is Cllr Green going to get his Producer City fantasy off the ground if he can’t keep the companies he has?
In the space of three weeks we’ve had redundancy announcements from Virgin, Morissons’, Provident, McBrides Global Media and now Global Media. How is Cllr Green going to get his Producer City fantasy off the ground if he can’t keep the companies he has? sorrow&anger
  • Score: 52

8:42am Wed 2 Jul 14

Banni2 says...

OLDLAD wrote:
Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?
I would suggest you stop reading the T/A and get a life.
[quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?[/p][/quote]I would suggest you stop reading the T/A and get a life. Banni2
  • Score: -15

8:45am Wed 2 Jul 14

collos25 says...

Banni2 wrote:
bd7 helper wrote:
Too many managers after a bonus
You should engage your brain before you open your mouth, all members of the workforce including hard working managers have lost there jobs.
If you can't say anything constructive then shut up.
If you read the full script I think bd7helper is partially correct .
[quote][p][bold]Banni2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bd7 helper[/bold] wrote: Too many managers after a bonus[/p][/quote]You should engage your brain before you open your mouth, all members of the workforce including hard working managers have lost there jobs. If you can't say anything constructive then shut up.[/p][/quote]If you read the full script I think bd7helper is partially correct . collos25
  • Score: -13

9:06am Wed 2 Jul 14

OLDLAD says...

Banni2 wrote:
OLDLAD wrote:
Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?
I would suggest you stop reading the T/A and get a life.
I have a life thank you and a very nice pension. The point I am making is how are the unemployed suppossed to get a job when firms are closing, no new firms opening and no jobs to be had.
[quote][p][bold]Banni2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?[/p][/quote]I would suggest you stop reading the T/A and get a life.[/p][/quote]I have a life thank you and a very nice pension. The point I am making is how are the unemployed suppossed to get a job when firms are closing, no new firms opening and no jobs to be had. OLDLAD
  • Score: 10

9:09am Wed 2 Jul 14

Grumpygirl says...

Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.
Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid. Grumpygirl
  • Score: 27

9:12am Wed 2 Jul 14

gouldengirl says...

bd7 helper wrote:
Too many managers after a bonus
Silly man. I can’t find anything about fat cat bonuses in the article.

Spare a thought for all those people with no money coming in to feed the baby of pay the mortgage. Closures are first and foremost a human tragedy.
[quote][p][bold]bd7 helper[/bold] wrote: Too many managers after a bonus[/p][/quote]Silly man. I can’t find anything about fat cat bonuses in the article. Spare a thought for all those people with no money coming in to feed the baby of pay the mortgage. Closures are first and foremost a human tragedy. gouldengirl
  • Score: 34

9:21am Wed 2 Jul 14

pcmanners says...

Grumpygirl wrote:
Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.
This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker.

Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.
[quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.[/p][/quote]This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker. Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade. pcmanners
  • Score: 18

9:38am Wed 2 Jul 14

collos25 says...

pcmanners wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.
This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker.

Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.
I have never read such a load of rubbish for a long time.
[quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.[/p][/quote]This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker. Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.[/p][/quote]I have never read such a load of rubbish for a long time. collos25
  • Score: 0

9:50am Wed 2 Jul 14

pcmanners says...

collos25 wrote:
pcmanners wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.
This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker.

Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.
I have never read such a load of rubbish for a long time.
Mr. Heseltine is a successful business man who made his remarks after visiting every one of the country's Local Enterprise Partnerships. His remarks on the general uselessness of the British worker are therefore well founded. He also has the full support of No 10.
[quote][p][bold]collos25[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.[/p][/quote]This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker. Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.[/p][/quote]I have never read such a load of rubbish for a long time.[/p][/quote]Mr. Heseltine is a successful business man who made his remarks after visiting every one of the country's Local Enterprise Partnerships. His remarks on the general uselessness of the British worker are therefore well founded. He also has the full support of No 10. pcmanners
  • Score: 22

10:01am Wed 2 Jul 14

piltdownman says...

sorrow&anger wrote:
In the space of three weeks we’ve had redundancy announcements from Virgin, Morissons’, Provident, McBrides Global Media and now Global Media.

How is Cllr Green going to get his Producer City fantasy off the ground if he can’t keep the companies he has?
Reading stories like this you do begin to wonder what’s going on. Is it the Government’s jobless figures or is Bradford just sliding into a deeper and deeper hole? Nothing important ever seems to go right for us. Education, health, regeneration are all disaster areas.
[quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: In the space of three weeks we’ve had redundancy announcements from Virgin, Morissons’, Provident, McBrides Global Media and now Global Media. How is Cllr Green going to get his Producer City fantasy off the ground if he can’t keep the companies he has?[/p][/quote]Reading stories like this you do begin to wonder what’s going on. Is it the Government’s jobless figures or is Bradford just sliding into a deeper and deeper hole? Nothing important ever seems to go right for us. Education, health, regeneration are all disaster areas. piltdownman
  • Score: 27

10:06am Wed 2 Jul 14

FinlandStation says...

piltdownman wrote:
sorrow&anger wrote:
In the space of three weeks we’ve had redundancy announcements from Virgin, Morissons’, Provident, McBrides Global Media and now Global Media.

How is Cllr Green going to get his Producer City fantasy off the ground if he can’t keep the companies he has?
Reading stories like this you do begin to wonder what’s going on. Is it the Government’s jobless figures or is Bradford just sliding into a deeper and deeper hole? Nothing important ever seems to go right for us. Education, health, regeneration are all disaster areas.
Where’s the pollyanna persuasion today? Can’t bcfc and Atkinson find something to coo over in this all too typical story of Bradford’s inexorable decline.
[quote][p][bold]piltdownman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: In the space of three weeks we’ve had redundancy announcements from Virgin, Morissons’, Provident, McBrides Global Media and now Global Media. How is Cllr Green going to get his Producer City fantasy off the ground if he can’t keep the companies he has?[/p][/quote]Reading stories like this you do begin to wonder what’s going on. Is it the Government’s jobless figures or is Bradford just sliding into a deeper and deeper hole? Nothing important ever seems to go right for us. Education, health, regeneration are all disaster areas.[/p][/quote]Where’s the pollyanna persuasion today? Can’t bcfc and Atkinson find something to coo over in this all too typical story of Bradford’s inexorable decline. FinlandStation
  • Score: 19

10:10am Wed 2 Jul 14

izzystillbreathing says...

FinlandStation wrote:
piltdownman wrote:
sorrow&anger wrote:
In the space of three weeks we’ve had redundancy announcements from Virgin, Morissons’, Provident, McBrides Global Media and now Global Media.

How is Cllr Green going to get his Producer City fantasy off the ground if he can’t keep the companies he has?
Reading stories like this you do begin to wonder what’s going on. Is it the Government’s jobless figures or is Bradford just sliding into a deeper and deeper hole? Nothing important ever seems to go right for us. Education, health, regeneration are all disaster areas.
Where’s the pollyanna persuasion today? Can’t bcfc and Atkinson find something to coo over in this all too typical story of Bradford’s inexorable decline.
No as council groupies they only get turned on by tacky models of Eiffel towers. The important stuff just gets ignored, exactly like City Hall.
[quote][p][bold]FinlandStation[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]piltdownman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: In the space of three weeks we’ve had redundancy announcements from Virgin, Morissons’, Provident, McBrides Global Media and now Global Media. How is Cllr Green going to get his Producer City fantasy off the ground if he can’t keep the companies he has?[/p][/quote]Reading stories like this you do begin to wonder what’s going on. Is it the Government’s jobless figures or is Bradford just sliding into a deeper and deeper hole? Nothing important ever seems to go right for us. Education, health, regeneration are all disaster areas.[/p][/quote]Where’s the pollyanna persuasion today? Can’t bcfc and Atkinson find something to coo over in this all too typical story of Bradford’s inexorable decline.[/p][/quote]No as council groupies they only get turned on by tacky models of Eiffel towers. The important stuff just gets ignored, exactly like City Hall. izzystillbreathing
  • Score: 18

10:41am Wed 2 Jul 14

bachtothefuture says...

OLDLAD wrote:
Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?
I agree another nail in the coffin.

City Hall has to realise that something radical is required. Industry in Bradford is dying on its feet and any future that we might have with it. The Buck Lane débâcle shows that the Council cannot be trusted to manage Bradford’s revival. We need some serious outside help, and quickly.
[quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?[/p][/quote]I agree another nail in the coffin. City Hall has to realise that something radical is required. Industry in Bradford is dying on its feet and any future that we might have with it. The Buck Lane débâcle shows that the Council cannot be trusted to manage Bradford’s revival. We need some serious outside help, and quickly. bachtothefuture
  • Score: 21

10:53am Wed 2 Jul 14

pellethead says...

pcmanners wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.
This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker.

Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.
Mr Manners. You are clearly a horrible little ar$e and contradict yourself. You say that the company has failed because it is unfit to survive in the market, then blame trade unions and socialism.What an absolute bell end.
[quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.[/p][/quote]This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker. Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.[/p][/quote]Mr Manners. You are clearly a horrible little ar$e and contradict yourself. You say that the company has failed because it is unfit to survive in the market, then blame trade unions and socialism.What an absolute bell end. pellethead
  • Score: 3

11:36am Wed 2 Jul 14

vax2002 says...

Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages.
This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees.

This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company.
Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.
Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages. This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees. This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company. Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence. vax2002
  • Score: 4

12:05pm Wed 2 Jul 14

thirkill2006 says...

What about Global Media Mailing they are not in administration or redundant but have not been paid and have nowhere to go to work !!
What about Global Media Mailing they are not in administration or redundant but have not been paid and have nowhere to go to work !! thirkill2006
  • Score: 1

12:58pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Moe Bfd says...

Bradford definetly needs ouside help, too many companies are going under and a lot of people are being affected financially and emotionally.
City hall and its incompetent councillors need an overall. They are NOT catering for Bradford and its people. I am sure we can save thousands of pounds if we had 2 councillors per ward instead of 3!
This is an area which Cllr Green will not comment on.......
Bradford definetly needs ouside help, too many companies are going under and a lot of people are being affected financially and emotionally. City hall and its incompetent councillors need an overall. They are NOT catering for Bradford and its people. I am sure we can save thousands of pounds if we had 2 councillors per ward instead of 3! This is an area which Cllr Green will not comment on....... Moe Bfd
  • Score: 16

1:03pm Wed 2 Jul 14

BILLTILL says...

vax2002 wrote:
Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages.
This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees.

This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company.
Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.
They don't own the equipment you idiot !
[quote][p][bold]vax2002[/bold] wrote: Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages. This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees. This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company. Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.[/p][/quote]They don't own the equipment you idiot ! BILLTILL
  • Score: 4

1:30pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

BILLTILL wrote:
vax2002 wrote:
Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages.
This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees.

This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company.
Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.
They don't own the equipment you idiot !
Exactly...probably read about that rubbish from some Union site

Top and bottom of it this company failed. Its not the employees fault but the board of directors who are running the company and couldn't take it any further.

As for Bradford well its well and truly screwed. Whilst people can blame the council and rightly so it isn't just that. Businesses want and need to attract hardworking talented individuals to employ and sadly in Bradford because of immigration from the outside looking in any multinationals would immediately cross Bradford off the list. In order to get these type of individuals the council need to make Bradford a place that enterprising individuals want to live but you only have to take a short walk around the centre to see the prospective "talent" on show.

I don't have the answers and the council seem to think a pond, a second rate shopping centre will attract people to the city but it wont at all.

Basically Bradford is beyond help now with everything from immigration, housing, employment, crime and education. As much as it hurts for me to say it we have become a dumping ground for everything wrong with this whole country. We have cultures that don't get along and live in segregation to each other and a huge layabout benefit scrounger population.

Whilst the above is off topic its all relevant to the decline of this city.
[quote][p][bold]BILLTILL[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]vax2002[/bold] wrote: Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages. This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees. This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company. Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.[/p][/quote]They don't own the equipment you idiot ![/p][/quote]Exactly...probably read about that rubbish from some Union site Top and bottom of it this company failed. Its not the employees fault but the board of directors who are running the company and couldn't take it any further. As for Bradford well its well and truly screwed. Whilst people can blame the council and rightly so it isn't just that. Businesses want and need to attract hardworking talented individuals to employ and sadly in Bradford because of immigration from the outside looking in any multinationals would immediately cross Bradford off the list. In order to get these type of individuals the council need to make Bradford a place that enterprising individuals want to live but you only have to take a short walk around the centre to see the prospective "talent" on show. I don't have the answers and the council seem to think a pond, a second rate shopping centre will attract people to the city but it wont at all. Basically Bradford is beyond help now with everything from immigration, housing, employment, crime and education. As much as it hurts for me to say it we have become a dumping ground for everything wrong with this whole country. We have cultures that don't get along and live in segregation to each other and a huge layabout benefit scrounger population. Whilst the above is off topic its all relevant to the decline of this city. Andy2010
  • Score: 35

2:20pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Rambo says...

I used to work for a publishers in Bradford about 5 years ago. (They have since moved to Leeds).

All our printing was done overseas as it was cheaper. Printing is a struggling industry - although there will always be a need for it, with the advance of technology it is rendering many of the traditional methods of print communication obsolete.

The printers my employers use are local ones to them, in Leeds. They speak to us and say how difficult it has been for in the industry with many print houses struggling or going under in recent years.

Very sad for the people involved, but a sign of the times, regardless of who people want to blame for it.

How many people here for example read a paper for free online (like this one…) instead of paying for it? Or download a book straight to their kindle?
I used to work for a publishers in Bradford about 5 years ago. (They have since moved to Leeds). All our printing was done overseas as it was cheaper. Printing is a struggling industry - although there will always be a need for it, with the advance of technology it is rendering many of the traditional methods of print communication obsolete. The printers my employers use are local ones to them, in Leeds. They speak to us and say how difficult it has been for in the industry with many print houses struggling or going under in recent years. Very sad for the people involved, but a sign of the times, regardless of who people want to blame for it. How many people here for example read a paper for free online (like this one…) instead of paying for it? Or download a book straight to their kindle? Rambo
  • Score: 24

2:25pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Rambo wrote:
I used to work for a publishers in Bradford about 5 years ago. (They have since moved to Leeds).

All our printing was done overseas as it was cheaper. Printing is a struggling industry - although there will always be a need for it, with the advance of technology it is rendering many of the traditional methods of print communication obsolete.

The printers my employers use are local ones to them, in Leeds. They speak to us and say how difficult it has been for in the industry with many print houses struggling or going under in recent years.

Very sad for the people involved, but a sign of the times, regardless of who people want to blame for it.

How many people here for example read a paper for free online (like this one…) instead of paying for it? Or download a book straight to their kindle?
True

Think its now part of peoples make up that when they want to "consume" anything e.g. news not many people would wait for the evening news or rush out and buy a paper. People nowadays don't have to wait for anything and will grasp the quickest, easiest and cheapest fix of what they want.
[quote][p][bold]Rambo[/bold] wrote: I used to work for a publishers in Bradford about 5 years ago. (They have since moved to Leeds). All our printing was done overseas as it was cheaper. Printing is a struggling industry - although there will always be a need for it, with the advance of technology it is rendering many of the traditional methods of print communication obsolete. The printers my employers use are local ones to them, in Leeds. They speak to us and say how difficult it has been for in the industry with many print houses struggling or going under in recent years. Very sad for the people involved, but a sign of the times, regardless of who people want to blame for it. How many people here for example read a paper for free online (like this one…) instead of paying for it? Or download a book straight to their kindle?[/p][/quote]True Think its now part of peoples make up that when they want to "consume" anything e.g. news not many people would wait for the evening news or rush out and buy a paper. People nowadays don't have to wait for anything and will grasp the quickest, easiest and cheapest fix of what they want. Andy2010
  • Score: 18

3:07pm Wed 2 Jul 14

pcmanners says...

pellethead wrote:
pcmanners wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.
This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker.

Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.
Mr Manners. You are clearly a horrible little ar$e and contradict yourself. You say that the company has failed because it is unfit to survive in the market, then blame trade unions and socialism.What an absolute bell end.
No Mr. Head it is truly you who are the bell end. The workers are to blame, as they always are.

The company went to the wall because it's productivity was too low to compete in the global market. British workers are 20% less productive than the G7 average. This is because, as Mr Heseltine and the Government keep pointing out, British workers don't want to get out of bed in the morning, are lazy, lack ambition, skills, and education.

They are like this because decades of corrupting socialism has lead them to believe that the world owes them a living. Well, as Global Media has just taught them, it doesn't. They have only themselves and their grasping Trade Union to blame. A spell on the dole might sharpen their attitudes, as Mr Duncan Smith intends it should.
[quote][p][bold]pellethead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.[/p][/quote]This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker. Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.[/p][/quote]Mr Manners. You are clearly a horrible little ar$e and contradict yourself. You say that the company has failed because it is unfit to survive in the market, then blame trade unions and socialism.What an absolute bell end.[/p][/quote]No Mr. Head it is truly you who are the bell end. The workers are to blame, as they always are. The company went to the wall because it's productivity was too low to compete in the global market. British workers are 20% less productive than the G7 average. This is because, as Mr Heseltine and the Government keep pointing out, British workers don't want to get out of bed in the morning, are lazy, lack ambition, skills, and education. They are like this because decades of corrupting socialism has lead them to believe that the world owes them a living. Well, as Global Media has just taught them, it doesn't. They have only themselves and their grasping Trade Union to blame. A spell on the dole might sharpen their attitudes, as Mr Duncan Smith intends it should. pcmanners
  • Score: 27

3:16pm Wed 2 Jul 14

pellethead says...

pcmanners wrote:
pellethead wrote:
pcmanners wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.
This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker.

Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.
Mr Manners. You are clearly a horrible little ar$e and contradict yourself. You say that the company has failed because it is unfit to survive in the market, then blame trade unions and socialism.What an absolute bell end.
No Mr. Head it is truly you who are the bell end. The workers are to blame, as they always are.

The company went to the wall because it's productivity was too low to compete in the global market. British workers are 20% less productive than the G7 average. This is because, as Mr Heseltine and the Government keep pointing out, British workers don't want to get out of bed in the morning, are lazy, lack ambition, skills, and education.

They are like this because decades of corrupting socialism has lead them to believe that the world owes them a living. Well, as Global Media has just taught them, it doesn't. They have only themselves and their grasping Trade Union to blame. A spell on the dole might sharpen their attitudes, as Mr Duncan Smith intends it should.
May I suggest you go put that to the 200 workers who are about to lose their jobs. Preferably in person as I would hope that they would kick your ar$e the length of Leeds Road.
[quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pellethead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.[/p][/quote]This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker. Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.[/p][/quote]Mr Manners. You are clearly a horrible little ar$e and contradict yourself. You say that the company has failed because it is unfit to survive in the market, then blame trade unions and socialism.What an absolute bell end.[/p][/quote]No Mr. Head it is truly you who are the bell end. The workers are to blame, as they always are. The company went to the wall because it's productivity was too low to compete in the global market. British workers are 20% less productive than the G7 average. This is because, as Mr Heseltine and the Government keep pointing out, British workers don't want to get out of bed in the morning, are lazy, lack ambition, skills, and education. They are like this because decades of corrupting socialism has lead them to believe that the world owes them a living. Well, as Global Media has just taught them, it doesn't. They have only themselves and their grasping Trade Union to blame. A spell on the dole might sharpen their attitudes, as Mr Duncan Smith intends it should.[/p][/quote]May I suggest you go put that to the 200 workers who are about to lose their jobs. Preferably in person as I would hope that they would kick your ar$e the length of Leeds Road. pellethead
  • Score: -12

3:52pm Wed 2 Jul 14

bluebluerobin says...

Andy2010 wrote:
BILLTILL wrote:
vax2002 wrote:
Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages.
This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees.

This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company.
Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.
They don't own the equipment you idiot !
Exactly...probably read about that rubbish from some Union site

Top and bottom of it this company failed. Its not the employees fault but the board of directors who are running the company and couldn't take it any further.

As for Bradford well its well and truly screwed. Whilst people can blame the council and rightly so it isn't just that. Businesses want and need to attract hardworking talented individuals to employ and sadly in Bradford because of immigration from the outside looking in any multinationals would immediately cross Bradford off the list. In order to get these type of individuals the council need to make Bradford a place that enterprising individuals want to live but you only have to take a short walk around the centre to see the prospective "talent" on show.

I don't have the answers and the council seem to think a pond, a second rate shopping centre will attract people to the city but it wont at all.

Basically Bradford is beyond help now with everything from immigration, housing, employment, crime and education. As much as it hurts for me to say it we have become a dumping ground for everything wrong with this whole country. We have cultures that don't get along and live in segregation to each other and a huge layabout benefit scrounger population.

Whilst the above is off topic its all relevant to the decline of this city.
A very perceptive analysis. Global Media failed ultimately because it was in the wrong business. Printing, like so many other traditional industries, has moved to either low labour cost or high capital investment countries. The UK falls between the stools.

Unless Bradford can expand its industrial base into growing modern industries then it is indeed screwed. Even the Labour Group understand this, I think, which is why the failed attempt to create a science park at Buck Lane full of the entrepreneurs who would create a new industrial base is so very disappointing. Once again the Council has demonstrated that it cannot deliver on the objectives it sets itself. All we get is hot air and glossy brochures, and five year plans replaced on a rolling basis with no actions taken.

I also agree that Bradford needs outside help. Our problems are beyond City Hall’s capabilities.
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BILLTILL[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]vax2002[/bold] wrote: Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages. This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees. This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company. Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.[/p][/quote]They don't own the equipment you idiot ![/p][/quote]Exactly...probably read about that rubbish from some Union site Top and bottom of it this company failed. Its not the employees fault but the board of directors who are running the company and couldn't take it any further. As for Bradford well its well and truly screwed. Whilst people can blame the council and rightly so it isn't just that. Businesses want and need to attract hardworking talented individuals to employ and sadly in Bradford because of immigration from the outside looking in any multinationals would immediately cross Bradford off the list. In order to get these type of individuals the council need to make Bradford a place that enterprising individuals want to live but you only have to take a short walk around the centre to see the prospective "talent" on show. I don't have the answers and the council seem to think a pond, a second rate shopping centre will attract people to the city but it wont at all. Basically Bradford is beyond help now with everything from immigration, housing, employment, crime and education. As much as it hurts for me to say it we have become a dumping ground for everything wrong with this whole country. We have cultures that don't get along and live in segregation to each other and a huge layabout benefit scrounger population. Whilst the above is off topic its all relevant to the decline of this city.[/p][/quote]A very perceptive analysis. Global Media failed ultimately because it was in the wrong business. Printing, like so many other traditional industries, has moved to either low labour cost or high capital investment countries. The UK falls between the stools. Unless Bradford can expand its industrial base into growing modern industries then it is indeed screwed. Even the Labour Group understand this, I think, which is why the failed attempt to create a science park at Buck Lane full of the entrepreneurs who would create a new industrial base is so very disappointing. Once again the Council has demonstrated that it cannot deliver on the objectives it sets itself. All we get is hot air and glossy brochures, and five year plans replaced on a rolling basis with no actions taken. I also agree that Bradford needs outside help. Our problems are beyond City Hall’s capabilities. bluebluerobin
  • Score: 15

4:04pm Wed 2 Jul 14

pcmanners says...

pellethead wrote:
pcmanners wrote:
pellethead wrote:
pcmanners wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.
This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker.

Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.
Mr Manners. You are clearly a horrible little ar$e and contradict yourself. You say that the company has failed because it is unfit to survive in the market, then blame trade unions and socialism.What an absolute bell end.
No Mr. Head it is truly you who are the bell end. The workers are to blame, as they always are.

The company went to the wall because it's productivity was too low to compete in the global market. British workers are 20% less productive than the G7 average. This is because, as Mr Heseltine and the Government keep pointing out, British workers don't want to get out of bed in the morning, are lazy, lack ambition, skills, and education.

They are like this because decades of corrupting socialism has lead them to believe that the world owes them a living. Well, as Global Media has just taught them, it doesn't. They have only themselves and their grasping Trade Union to blame. A spell on the dole might sharpen their attitudes, as Mr Duncan Smith intends it should.
May I suggest you go put that to the 200 workers who are about to lose their jobs. Preferably in person as I would hope that they would kick your ar$e the length of Leeds Road.
The truth often hurts, but it is a fact that British workers are 20% less productive than workers in the other G7 countries. That is why so many companies are failing. Only our bankers have internationally acceptable productivity levels.

The Government has correctly identified the reason for workers' low productivity as indolence, poor education and a lack of ambition. Bradford is in no position to correct these traits. In particular our education is appalling. Another school has just gone into special measures.
[quote][p][bold]pellethead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pellethead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Another bank pulling the plug on another small company and the workers are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.[/p][/quote]This firm has gone to the wall because it is unfit to survive in the market. This is not the bank’s fault but, as Mr. Heseltine pointed out yesterday, the indolence of the British worker. Socialism and its attendant evil of Trade Unionism have made this country unfit to trade.[/p][/quote]Mr Manners. You are clearly a horrible little ar$e and contradict yourself. You say that the company has failed because it is unfit to survive in the market, then blame trade unions and socialism.What an absolute bell end.[/p][/quote]No Mr. Head it is truly you who are the bell end. The workers are to blame, as they always are. The company went to the wall because it's productivity was too low to compete in the global market. British workers are 20% less productive than the G7 average. This is because, as Mr Heseltine and the Government keep pointing out, British workers don't want to get out of bed in the morning, are lazy, lack ambition, skills, and education. They are like this because decades of corrupting socialism has lead them to believe that the world owes them a living. Well, as Global Media has just taught them, it doesn't. They have only themselves and their grasping Trade Union to blame. A spell on the dole might sharpen their attitudes, as Mr Duncan Smith intends it should.[/p][/quote]May I suggest you go put that to the 200 workers who are about to lose their jobs. Preferably in person as I would hope that they would kick your ar$e the length of Leeds Road.[/p][/quote]The truth often hurts, but it is a fact that British workers are 20% less productive than workers in the other G7 countries. That is why so many companies are failing. Only our bankers have internationally acceptable productivity levels. The Government has correctly identified the reason for workers' low productivity as indolence, poor education and a lack of ambition. Bradford is in no position to correct these traits. In particular our education is appalling. Another school has just gone into special measures. pcmanners
  • Score: 10

4:47pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

bluebluerobin wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
BILLTILL wrote:
vax2002 wrote:
Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages.
This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees.

This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company.
Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.
They don't own the equipment you idiot !
Exactly...probably read about that rubbish from some Union site

Top and bottom of it this company failed. Its not the employees fault but the board of directors who are running the company and couldn't take it any further.

As for Bradford well its well and truly screwed. Whilst people can blame the council and rightly so it isn't just that. Businesses want and need to attract hardworking talented individuals to employ and sadly in Bradford because of immigration from the outside looking in any multinationals would immediately cross Bradford off the list. In order to get these type of individuals the council need to make Bradford a place that enterprising individuals want to live but you only have to take a short walk around the centre to see the prospective "talent" on show.

I don't have the answers and the council seem to think a pond, a second rate shopping centre will attract people to the city but it wont at all.

Basically Bradford is beyond help now with everything from immigration, housing, employment, crime and education. As much as it hurts for me to say it we have become a dumping ground for everything wrong with this whole country. We have cultures that don't get along and live in segregation to each other and a huge layabout benefit scrounger population.

Whilst the above is off topic its all relevant to the decline of this city.
A very perceptive analysis. Global Media failed ultimately because it was in the wrong business. Printing, like so many other traditional industries, has moved to either low labour cost or high capital investment countries. The UK falls between the stools.

Unless Bradford can expand its industrial base into growing modern industries then it is indeed screwed. Even the Labour Group understand this, I think, which is why the failed attempt to create a science park at Buck Lane full of the entrepreneurs who would create a new industrial base is so very disappointing. Once again the Council has demonstrated that it cannot deliver on the objectives it sets itself. All we get is hot air and glossy brochures, and five year plans replaced on a rolling basis with no actions taken.

I also agree that Bradford needs outside help. Our problems are beyond City Hall’s capabilities.
Agreed.

Bradford needs to try and move to a distribution and production hub. One thing we do have with the M606 is a decent network to get into the motorways which a lot of cities don't have. We also have a cheap labour force which could be utilsed. Bradford Council need to get away from this technology / blue chip company ideas as these companies simply will not locate here due to the workforce.

We need to go back to basics and promote large scale distribution and factories. The council simply need to make a concession for these businesses and bring these here rather than thinking that they can turn Bradford into Leeds...which they cant.
[quote][p][bold]bluebluerobin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BILLTILL[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]vax2002[/bold] wrote: Place a lawful Lein on equipment in Lieu of wages. This is why Administrators attempt to lock out employees. This little know Law can be used to secure any wage debt against assets of the company. Write the Lein, attach it to the object and take photographic evidence.[/p][/quote]They don't own the equipment you idiot ![/p][/quote]Exactly...probably read about that rubbish from some Union site Top and bottom of it this company failed. Its not the employees fault but the board of directors who are running the company and couldn't take it any further. As for Bradford well its well and truly screwed. Whilst people can blame the council and rightly so it isn't just that. Businesses want and need to attract hardworking talented individuals to employ and sadly in Bradford because of immigration from the outside looking in any multinationals would immediately cross Bradford off the list. In order to get these type of individuals the council need to make Bradford a place that enterprising individuals want to live but you only have to take a short walk around the centre to see the prospective "talent" on show. I don't have the answers and the council seem to think a pond, a second rate shopping centre will attract people to the city but it wont at all. Basically Bradford is beyond help now with everything from immigration, housing, employment, crime and education. As much as it hurts for me to say it we have become a dumping ground for everything wrong with this whole country. We have cultures that don't get along and live in segregation to each other and a huge layabout benefit scrounger population. Whilst the above is off topic its all relevant to the decline of this city.[/p][/quote]A very perceptive analysis. Global Media failed ultimately because it was in the wrong business. Printing, like so many other traditional industries, has moved to either low labour cost or high capital investment countries. The UK falls between the stools. Unless Bradford can expand its industrial base into growing modern industries then it is indeed screwed. Even the Labour Group understand this, I think, which is why the failed attempt to create a science park at Buck Lane full of the entrepreneurs who would create a new industrial base is so very disappointing. Once again the Council has demonstrated that it cannot deliver on the objectives it sets itself. All we get is hot air and glossy brochures, and five year plans replaced on a rolling basis with no actions taken. I also agree that Bradford needs outside help. Our problems are beyond City Hall’s capabilities.[/p][/quote]Agreed. Bradford needs to try and move to a distribution and production hub. One thing we do have with the M606 is a decent network to get into the motorways which a lot of cities don't have. We also have a cheap labour force which could be utilsed. Bradford Council need to get away from this technology / blue chip company ideas as these companies simply will not locate here due to the workforce. We need to go back to basics and promote large scale distribution and factories. The council simply need to make a concession for these businesses and bring these here rather than thinking that they can turn Bradford into Leeds...which they cant. Andy2010
  • Score: 13

4:51pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Here today says...

So who exactly is going to go shopping at the "all-saving" westfield site? the only booming business in bradford is the dole queue
So who exactly is going to go shopping at the "all-saving" westfield site? the only booming business in bradford is the dole queue Here today
  • Score: 6

5:03pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Here today wrote:
So who exactly is going to go shopping at the "all-saving" westfield site? the only booming business in bradford is the dole queue
As long as its got Primark, Greggs, William Hill and Argos the residents will flock there
[quote][p][bold]Here today[/bold] wrote: So who exactly is going to go shopping at the "all-saving" westfield site? the only booming business in bradford is the dole queue[/p][/quote]As long as its got Primark, Greggs, William Hill and Argos the residents will flock there Andy2010
  • Score: 6

5:10pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Silsdenman says...

It's all very well blaming the workers, the market, council or whatever but why would this Cogent company spend £8m less than a year ago and then go bust? Surely anyone buying a business for that amount can predict what will happen within the next year. Maybe they did!
It's all very well blaming the workers, the market, council or whatever but why would this Cogent company spend £8m less than a year ago and then go bust? Surely anyone buying a business for that amount can predict what will happen within the next year. Maybe they did! Silsdenman
  • Score: 4

5:15pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Here today says...

"One thing we do have with the M606 is a decent network to get into the motorways "

and then spend the rest of the day parked on said motorways because some fool (usual suspects) is playing "cash-for-crash" and the whole network as far as watford gap is closed for "safety" reasons
"One thing we do have with the M606 is a decent network to get into the motorways " and then spend the rest of the day parked on said motorways because some fool (usual suspects) is playing "cash-for-crash" and the whole network as far as watford gap is closed for "safety" reasons Here today
  • Score: 3

5:41pm Wed 2 Jul 14

citygent7 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Rambo wrote:
I used to work for a publishers in Bradford about 5 years ago. (They have since moved to Leeds).

All our printing was done overseas as it was cheaper. Printing is a struggling industry - although there will always be a need for it, with the advance of technology it is rendering many of the traditional methods of print communication obsolete.

The printers my employers use are local ones to them, in Leeds. They speak to us and say how difficult it has been for in the industry with many print houses struggling or going under in recent years.

Very sad for the people involved, but a sign of the times, regardless of who people want to blame for it.

How many people here for example read a paper for free online (like this one…) instead of paying for it? Or download a book straight to their kindle?
True

Think its now part of peoples make up that when they want to "consume" anything e.g. news not many people would wait for the evening news or rush out and buy a paper. People nowadays don't have to wait for anything and will grasp the quickest, easiest and cheapest fix of what they want.
I don' t buy it anymore because it was an evening paper but all you get now is yesterday's news.
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rambo[/bold] wrote: I used to work for a publishers in Bradford about 5 years ago. (They have since moved to Leeds). All our printing was done overseas as it was cheaper. Printing is a struggling industry - although there will always be a need for it, with the advance of technology it is rendering many of the traditional methods of print communication obsolete. The printers my employers use are local ones to them, in Leeds. They speak to us and say how difficult it has been for in the industry with many print houses struggling or going under in recent years. Very sad for the people involved, but a sign of the times, regardless of who people want to blame for it. How many people here for example read a paper for free online (like this one…) instead of paying for it? Or download a book straight to their kindle?[/p][/quote]True Think its now part of peoples make up that when they want to "consume" anything e.g. news not many people would wait for the evening news or rush out and buy a paper. People nowadays don't have to wait for anything and will grasp the quickest, easiest and cheapest fix of what they want.[/p][/quote]I don' t buy it anymore because it was an evening paper but all you get now is yesterday's news. citygent7
  • Score: 1

5:42pm Wed 2 Jul 14

citygent7 says...

bachtothefuture wrote:
OLDLAD wrote:
Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?
I agree another nail in the coffin.

City Hall has to realise that something radical is required. Industry in Bradford is dying on its feet and any future that we might have with it. The Buck Lane débâcle shows that the Council cannot be trusted to manage Bradford’s revival. We need some serious outside help, and quickly.
It's nailed down.
[quote][p][bold]bachtothefuture[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?[/p][/quote]I agree another nail in the coffin. City Hall has to realise that something radical is required. Industry in Bradford is dying on its feet and any future that we might have with it. The Buck Lane débâcle shows that the Council cannot be trusted to manage Bradford’s revival. We need some serious outside help, and quickly.[/p][/quote]It's nailed down. citygent7
  • Score: 4

6:55pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Grumpygirl says...

citygent7 wrote:
bachtothefuture wrote:
OLDLAD wrote:
Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?
I agree another nail in the coffin.

City Hall has to realise that something radical is required. Industry in Bradford is dying on its feet and any future that we might have with it. The Buck Lane débâcle shows that the Council cannot be trusted to manage Bradford’s revival. We need some serious outside help, and quickly.
It's nailed down.
Too true. What a waste of a once great city. People used to be proud of living in Bradford.
[quote][p][bold]citygent7[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bachtothefuture[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?[/p][/quote]I agree another nail in the coffin. City Hall has to realise that something radical is required. Industry in Bradford is dying on its feet and any future that we might have with it. The Buck Lane débâcle shows that the Council cannot be trusted to manage Bradford’s revival. We need some serious outside help, and quickly.[/p][/quote]It's nailed down.[/p][/quote]Too true. What a waste of a once great city. People used to be proud of living in Bradford. Grumpygirl
  • Score: 8

7:14pm Wed 2 Jul 14

baildongreen says...

OLDLAD wrote:
Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?
Where indeed? Bradford’s unemployment is around twice the national average. The latest analysis shows that an extra 2000 jobs a year are needed for the next ten years over and above the natural growth rate of existing companies if we are to reach the national level of joblessness. The Council would like these new jobs to be hi tech and highly paid.

The job of delivering this scenario has fallen to Cllr. Green and his ‘Producer City’ committee. Their first project was Buck Lane which was slated to provide 700+ hi tech jobs. The reality is less than 200 existing midtech jobs. The Council have fallen badly at the first hurdle, so we might as well say goodbye to the 2000 jobs a year. Heaven knows where the Global Media unfortunates are going to find work.
[quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?[/p][/quote]Where indeed? Bradford’s unemployment is around twice the national average. The latest analysis shows that an extra 2000 jobs a year are needed for the next ten years over and above the natural growth rate of existing companies if we are to reach the national level of joblessness. The Council would like these new jobs to be hi tech and highly paid. The job of delivering this scenario has fallen to Cllr. Green and his ‘Producer City’ committee. Their first project was Buck Lane which was slated to provide 700+ hi tech jobs. The reality is less than 200 existing midtech jobs. The Council have fallen badly at the first hurdle, so we might as well say goodbye to the 2000 jobs a year. Heaven knows where the Global Media unfortunates are going to find work. baildongreen
  • Score: 6

7:27pm Wed 2 Jul 14

sunnysidedown says...

baildongreen wrote:
OLDLAD wrote:
Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?
Where indeed? Bradford’s unemployment is around twice the national average. The latest analysis shows that an extra 2000 jobs a year are needed for the next ten years over and above the natural growth rate of existing companies if we are to reach the national level of joblessness. The Council would like these new jobs to be hi tech and highly paid.

The job of delivering this scenario has fallen to Cllr. Green and his ‘Producer City’ committee. Their first project was Buck Lane which was slated to provide 700+ hi tech jobs. The reality is less than 200 existing midtech jobs. The Council have fallen badly at the first hurdle, so we might as well say goodbye to the 2000 jobs a year. Heaven knows where the Global Media unfortunates are going to find work.
Simples. The Jobcentre will simply sanction them ragged until they all become self-employed dog walkers, cake makers, gutter cleaners and people on zero hours McJobs. Problem solved. There is no jobless crisis.
[quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Another nail in Bradfords coffin. Where are all these jobs that are supposedly being created? All I read about is job losses in Bradford yet job centres still say that pleny of jobs are available. WHERE?[/p][/quote]Where indeed? Bradford’s unemployment is around twice the national average. The latest analysis shows that an extra 2000 jobs a year are needed for the next ten years over and above the natural growth rate of existing companies if we are to reach the national level of joblessness. The Council would like these new jobs to be hi tech and highly paid. The job of delivering this scenario has fallen to Cllr. Green and his ‘Producer City’ committee. Their first project was Buck Lane which was slated to provide 700+ hi tech jobs. The reality is less than 200 existing midtech jobs. The Council have fallen badly at the first hurdle, so we might as well say goodbye to the 2000 jobs a year. Heaven knows where the Global Media unfortunates are going to find work.[/p][/quote]Simples. The Jobcentre will simply sanction them ragged until they all become self-employed dog walkers, cake makers, gutter cleaners and people on zero hours McJobs. Problem solved. There is no jobless crisis. sunnysidedown
  • Score: -1

9:38pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Class_War says...

So much for the so-called 'Jobs Boom'. All we ever see in the news is closure and redundancy, matched only by the ever more draconian Benefit rules and the rise in mandatory unpaid forced labour. make sure you all sign the epetition to abolish Benefit sanctions, 'cos it might be you one day (soon).
So much for the so-called 'Jobs Boom'. All we ever see in the news is closure and redundancy, matched only by the ever more draconian Benefit rules and the rise in mandatory unpaid forced labour. make sure you all sign the epetition to abolish Benefit sanctions, 'cos it might be you one day (soon). Class_War
  • Score: -9

8:42am Thu 3 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Class_War wrote:
So much for the so-called 'Jobs Boom'. All we ever see in the news is closure and redundancy, matched only by the ever more draconian Benefit rules and the rise in mandatory unpaid forced labour. make sure you all sign the epetition to abolish Benefit sanctions, 'cos it might be you one day (soon).
Or workers could go to Leeds for employment who have enjoyed a 18% increase in the last 3 years in employment?

If jobs arent in your local area you have to be prepared to commute. The amount of people out of work I speak to who live in Bradford but will simply not commute to Leeds is staggering.
[quote][p][bold]Class_War[/bold] wrote: So much for the so-called 'Jobs Boom'. All we ever see in the news is closure and redundancy, matched only by the ever more draconian Benefit rules and the rise in mandatory unpaid forced labour. make sure you all sign the epetition to abolish Benefit sanctions, 'cos it might be you one day (soon).[/p][/quote]Or workers could go to Leeds for employment who have enjoyed a 18% increase in the last 3 years in employment? If jobs arent in your local area you have to be prepared to commute. The amount of people out of work I speak to who live in Bradford but will simply not commute to Leeds is staggering. Andy2010
  • Score: 11

9:41am Thu 3 Jul 14

Here today says...

Commuting only feeds the transport companies, catching 2 buses and a train drains whatever you may gain, thats if the trains/buses actually turn up.
Option, buy a car to commute? back to the jammed up motorways.
Commuting only feeds the transport companies, catching 2 buses and a train drains whatever you may gain, thats if the trains/buses actually turn up. Option, buy a car to commute? back to the jammed up motorways. Here today
  • Score: -8

10:27am Thu 3 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Here today wrote:
Commuting only feeds the transport companies, catching 2 buses and a train drains whatever you may gain, thats if the trains/buses actually turn up.
Option, buy a car to commute? back to the jammed up motorways.
A jobs a job though isnt it. A monthly train and bus pass isnt that expensive when compared to just paying a single return journey on a bus everyday
[quote][p][bold]Here today[/bold] wrote: Commuting only feeds the transport companies, catching 2 buses and a train drains whatever you may gain, thats if the trains/buses actually turn up. Option, buy a car to commute? back to the jammed up motorways.[/p][/quote]A jobs a job though isnt it. A monthly train and bus pass isnt that expensive when compared to just paying a single return journey on a bus everyday Andy2010
  • Score: 12

3:02pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Rambo says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Here today wrote:
Commuting only feeds the transport companies, catching 2 buses and a train drains whatever you may gain, thats if the trains/buses actually turn up.
Option, buy a car to commute? back to the jammed up motorways.
A jobs a job though isnt it. A monthly train and bus pass isnt that expensive when compared to just paying a single return journey on a bus everyday
Someone one should welcome him to the grown-up world...
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Here today[/bold] wrote: Commuting only feeds the transport companies, catching 2 buses and a train drains whatever you may gain, thats if the trains/buses actually turn up. Option, buy a car to commute? back to the jammed up motorways.[/p][/quote]A jobs a job though isnt it. A monthly train and bus pass isnt that expensive when compared to just paying a single return journey on a bus everyday[/p][/quote]Someone one should welcome him to the grown-up world... Rambo
  • Score: 1

10:09am Sat 5 Jul 14

LeftLongAgo says...

I moed to German for a job. When that job finshed I moved to Keighly and started to search for a job in what I consideed the local area. I was gobsmacked when the guy at The JobCetre askd if I really thougt it practicle to commute to Leeds for a job! God, its only 30 minutes away. And this was from the JobCentre. Local peopes attitudes have to change, as a teen (I am much older now), I ued to get the train from Reading to Ealng Broadway every day for work and thought nothing of it. 1.5 hours each way, Bradford and Keighley people still think they will leave home and walk to mill, and leave when hooter sounds. Long gone days. Adjust or fail
I moed to German for a job. When that job finshed I moved to Keighly and started to search for a job in what I consideed the local area. I was gobsmacked when the guy at The JobCetre askd if I really thougt it practicle to commute to Leeds for a job! God, its only 30 minutes away. And this was from the JobCentre. Local peopes attitudes have to change, as a teen (I am much older now), I ued to get the train from Reading to Ealng Broadway every day for work and thought nothing of it. 1.5 hours each way, Bradford and Keighley people still think they will leave home and walk to mill, and leave when hooter sounds. Long gone days. Adjust or fail LeftLongAgo
  • Score: 3

10:11am Sat 5 Jul 14

LeftLongAgo says...

Sorry for typos. - dodgy laptop keyboard.
Sorry for typos. - dodgy laptop keyboard. LeftLongAgo
  • Score: 2

7:36pm Sat 5 Jul 14

Colin Allcars says...

I understand you saying you should be prepared to move for work, but as this city has been in decline for many years we continue have immigrants moving here, even though there is no work! That suggests that our welfare society is too attractive, our NATIONAL Health Service in Bradford is spending too much of it's budget on non-nationals, who contribute nothing and our school have to cope with too many children who's first language is not English even though they have been born here.
I understand you saying you should be prepared to move for work, but as this city has been in decline for many years we continue have immigrants moving here, even though there is no work! That suggests that our welfare society is too attractive, our NATIONAL Health Service in Bradford is spending too much of it's budget on non-nationals, who contribute nothing and our school have to cope with too many children who's first language is not English even though they have been born here. Colin Allcars
  • Score: 2

8:40pm Sat 5 Jul 14

LeftLongAgo says...

Colin. I agree totally with your immigration and welfare, education comments, Bradford does not need any more incomers. And as for the cost to the NHS - well a large portion of the population of Bradford costs the NHS a fortune as they are in complete denial about inbreeding. Have a think what lurks behind the curtains in some parts of Bradford, peope who will never be able to work as their parents would not accept medical advice. But I do think people can and should be prepared to travel to work, Leeds is not that far! Other Ciites too, you can get to Manchester in 45minutes, not much of a price to pay for a job to feed your family, and most of all - a little bit of dignity. Nothing better than a wage packet, whatever is in it, you earned it.
Colin. I agree totally with your immigration and welfare, education comments, Bradford does not need any more incomers. And as for the cost to the NHS - well a large portion of the population of Bradford costs the NHS a fortune as they are in complete denial about inbreeding. Have a think what lurks behind the curtains in some parts of Bradford, peope who will never be able to work as their parents would not accept medical advice. But I do think people can and should be prepared to travel to work, Leeds is not that far! Other Ciites too, you can get to Manchester in 45minutes, not much of a price to pay for a job to feed your family, and most of all - a little bit of dignity. Nothing better than a wage packet, whatever is in it, you earned it. LeftLongAgo
  • Score: 3

12:59pm Sun 6 Jul 14

saleemy says...

Our loss is a company in east europe/eu gain.
Our loss is a company in east europe/eu gain. saleemy
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree