Firefighters who tackled a house blaze in Keighley this afternoon issued a safety warning to smokers.

Crews from Keighley and Haworth put out the fire in the attic bedroom of a house in Mannville Road near Lund Park.

A spokesman for Keighley Fire Station said the cause appeared to be discarded smoking materials.

He said: “If you are a smoker, please be careful of smoking in the bedroom, and dispose of smoking materials correctly.

“A lady and a child had smelled something in the house, so they got out the property and phoned us, which was good.

“We managed to take care of the fire and there was minimal damage.”