Brewing to return to Bradford city centre after 60 years in Growth Zone scheme

From left, David Robertson-Brown,Matthew Halliday and David Craig pictured in front of the Shaw's building.

From left, David Robertson-Brown, Matthew Halliday and David Craig

An artist’s impression of the Bradford Brewery

A new pub called The Brewfactory is also part of the plans

First published in News
Last updated

BREWING is set to return to Bradford city centre for the first time in almost 60 years under plans which should also secure the future of a historic industrial building and boost the night-time economy.

The £400,000 move would see an initial production of 16,000 pints a week from the Bradford Brewery, which would operate along a new pub called The Brewfactory.

It would be based in the former headquarters of Shaw's Moisture Meters, which has been empty since 2006 when the company moved.

Since then the owners of the building, off Westgate, have been looking for someone to find a use for the building which would allow its industrial heritage to be preserved.

It is expected the business would create 11 full time jobs, but would also provide a boost for the city's economy during the design and construction phase.

Funding for the scheme would come partly through a Bradford Council Growth Zone grant and Dragon's Den star Doug Richards, who is supporting Bradford business man Matthew Halliday's plans.

The scheme's future rests on a planning application which has now been submitted to Bradford Council.

If that is successful, it will mean beer being brewed in the city centre for the first time since the closure of Hammonds Bradford Brewery in 1955.

Mr Halliday is a former pub licensee who now works for a London-based health charity - he intends to split his time between Bradford and the capital.

The aim is to capitalise on the resurgence in interest in real ale and the development comes as independent brewers are enjoying a period of boom growth.

Mr Halliday said: “The idea to launch Bradford Brewery came from my love of London's craft beer drinking scene. Yorkshire is slowly catching up but we're a long way behind.

"I wanted to do something positive for Bradford and hope that Bradford Brewery will not only produce some great beers, but also help to change perceptions of our great city.

"There's a huge amount of incredible innovation going on in Bradford right now and we're excited to be playing a part in that. We’ve got long-term plans for the business and have aspirations of seeing Bradford beers on every bar across the district."

Under Mr Halliday's plans, the brewery and pub would be accommodated on staggered levels within the four storey building, with an internal glass wall to allow drinkers to watch the brewing process from the bar.

David Robertson-Brown, Director of Gumption Centres Ltd, works under contract for the Council within the Bradford City Centre Growth Zone. He said: "We’re delighted to be able to support Bradford Brewery - this is exactly the kind of business we want to see in the Bradford City Centre Growth Zone.

"Not only will the company be manufacturing their own product on site and supplying the trade, but they'll also be adding to the city's retail offer and helping to build Bradford's night time economy. It will help generate footfall for other businesses on Westgate and should attract other property investments into the area.

“This is a quality scheme that will bring an empty building back into business use on a highly visible site and will create at least 11 new jobs for Bradford people.

"As a manufacturer, Bradford Brewery also meets the Council's ambition for developing a Producer City where things are made and goods are sold further afield. We look forward to the brewery flourishing and flying the flag for Bradford for many years to come”.

The Growth Zone is the Council’s £35m initiative to attract businesses into the city centre.

Comments (42)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:04pm Mon 23 Jun 14

TonyWeston says...

Nice to see the return of traditional brewing and manufacturing to our city centres, acting as a catalyst for jobs and regeneration.
The pub looks like a great new place to eat and drink that will be a real destination for visitors, like the brewpubs of London and Bath are.
Looking forward to a pie and a pint when you open!
Nice to see the return of traditional brewing and manufacturing to our city centres, acting as a catalyst for jobs and regeneration. The pub looks like a great new place to eat and drink that will be a real destination for visitors, like the brewpubs of London and Bath are. Looking forward to a pie and a pint when you open! TonyWeston
  • Score: 10

3:18pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Bikerbeardy says...

Brilliant idea, i visit Liverpool frequently and quite a few of the pubs brew their own, always a good pint as well, well done to a good idea :)
Brilliant idea, i visit Liverpool frequently and quite a few of the pubs brew their own, always a good pint as well, well done to a good idea :) Bikerbeardy
  • Score: 13

3:45pm Mon 23 Jun 14

JAtkinson says...

Can't wait to taste it! Real ale is moving away from the Viz caricature as many more people decide they want something that, well, tastes.

Very good luck.
Can't wait to taste it! Real ale is moving away from the Viz caricature as many more people decide they want something that, well, tastes. Very good luck. JAtkinson
  • Score: 7

3:56pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Class_War says...

All well and good, but who can afford to drink beer these days?
All well and good, but who can afford to drink beer these days? Class_War
  • Score: -56

4:07pm Mon 23 Jun 14

BaildonGuy says...

Good news, especially with so many local craft breweries making a name for themselves. However where does this put the Council's assertion that industry won't locate on brownfields?
Good news, especially with so many local craft breweries making a name for themselves. However where does this put the Council's assertion that industry won't locate on brownfields? BaildonGuy
  • Score: 47

4:08pm Mon 23 Jun 14

northern pig says...

Class_War wrote:
All well and good, but who can afford to drink beer these days?
Sam Smiths cask ale in the shoulder of mutton approx£1:85 apint!!
[quote][p][bold]Class_War[/bold] wrote: All well and good, but who can afford to drink beer these days?[/p][/quote]Sam Smiths cask ale in the shoulder of mutton approx£1:85 apint!! northern pig
  • Score: 31

4:15pm Mon 23 Jun 14

MattLondon says...

Incredible idea!
Though not sure completely agree with London vs Bradford drinking scene. Bradford has some of my favourite pubs. Though they are spread across the city.
Incredible idea! Though not sure completely agree with London vs Bradford drinking scene. Bradford has some of my favourite pubs. Though they are spread across the city. MattLondon
  • Score: -7

4:23pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Bone_idle18 says...

BaildonGuy wrote:
Good news, especially with so many local craft breweries making a name for themselves. However where does this put the Council's assertion that industry won't locate on brownfields?
A brew-pub is a bit different, it NEEDS to be in a central location for it's custom.

However, I see your point, especially with a £35milllion incentive to develop the "Growth Zone", someone doesn't seem to be doing their job very well I think.
[quote][p][bold]BaildonGuy[/bold] wrote: Good news, especially with so many local craft breweries making a name for themselves. However where does this put the Council's assertion that industry won't locate on brownfields?[/p][/quote]A brew-pub is a bit different, it NEEDS to be in a central location for it's custom. However, I see your point, especially with a £35milllion incentive to develop the "Growth Zone", someone doesn't seem to be doing their job very well I think. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 30

4:31pm Mon 23 Jun 14

izzystillbreathing says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
BaildonGuy wrote:
Good news, especially with so many local craft breweries making a name for themselves. However where does this put the Council's assertion that industry won't locate on brownfields?
A brew-pub is a bit different, it NEEDS to be in a central location for it's custom.

However, I see your point, especially with a £35milllion incentive to develop the "Growth Zone", someone doesn't seem to be doing their job very well I think.
More good news. There was a time when I thought beer drinkers were an endangered species and what few pubs were left would only sell lager. I just hope the idiots in the Council's planning department don't muck this up.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BaildonGuy[/bold] wrote: Good news, especially with so many local craft breweries making a name for themselves. However where does this put the Council's assertion that industry won't locate on brownfields?[/p][/quote]A brew-pub is a bit different, it NEEDS to be in a central location for it's custom. However, I see your point, especially with a £35milllion incentive to develop the "Growth Zone", someone doesn't seem to be doing their job very well I think.[/p][/quote]More good news. There was a time when I thought beer drinkers were an endangered species and what few pubs were left would only sell lager. I just hope the idiots in the Council's planning department don't muck this up. izzystillbreathing
  • Score: 42

4:35pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

I read somewhere that there was the highest concentration of micro breweries in West Yorkshire in this country.
They'll be another brewdog pub soon in the city centre, quite near the Odeon.
The £35 million was given by central government to sort out the shambolic mess that the council has helped make what it is. When the Broadway is up and running they don't want embarrassing with the state of empty buildings. This came from someone involved in the regeneration scheme.
I read somewhere that there was the highest concentration of micro breweries in West Yorkshire in this country. They'll be another brewdog pub soon in the city centre, quite near the Odeon. The £35 million was given by central government to sort out the shambolic mess that the council has helped make what it is. When the Broadway is up and running they don't want embarrassing with the state of empty buildings. This came from someone involved in the regeneration scheme. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 32

4:37pm Mon 23 Jun 14

pcmanners says...

izzystillbreathing wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote:
BaildonGuy wrote:
Good news, especially with so many local craft breweries making a name for themselves. However where does this put the Council's assertion that industry won't locate on brownfields?
A brew-pub is a bit different, it NEEDS to be in a central location for it's custom.

However, I see your point, especially with a £35milllion incentive to develop the "Growth Zone", someone doesn't seem to be doing their job very well I think.
More good news. There was a time when I thought beer drinkers were an endangered species and what few pubs were left would only sell lager. I just hope the idiots in the Council's planning department don't muck this up.
Councils, especially socialist councils, should not interfere in the free market. If there is a demand then an entrepreneur will appear to fill the niche.

I notice the Council's toadies are out in force on this thread.
[quote][p][bold]izzystillbreathing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BaildonGuy[/bold] wrote: Good news, especially with so many local craft breweries making a name for themselves. However where does this put the Council's assertion that industry won't locate on brownfields?[/p][/quote]A brew-pub is a bit different, it NEEDS to be in a central location for it's custom. However, I see your point, especially with a £35milllion incentive to develop the "Growth Zone", someone doesn't seem to be doing their job very well I think.[/p][/quote]More good news. There was a time when I thought beer drinkers were an endangered species and what few pubs were left would only sell lager. I just hope the idiots in the Council's planning department don't muck this up.[/p][/quote]Councils, especially socialist councils, should not interfere in the free market. If there is a demand then an entrepreneur will appear to fill the niche. I notice the Council's toadies are out in force on this thread. pcmanners
  • Score: 33

4:45pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Robin of Loxley says...

Brewing in Bradistan ?

Yep; great move.
Brewing in Bradistan ? Yep; great move. Robin of Loxley
  • Score: -36

4:46pm Mon 23 Jun 14

baildongreen says...

So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along. baildongreen
  • Score: 27

4:47pm Mon 23 Jun 14

baildongreen says...

Robin of Loxley wrote:
Brewing in Bradistan ?

Yep; great move.
I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?
[quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: Brewing in Bradistan ? Yep; great move.[/p][/quote]I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway? baildongreen
  • Score: 13

4:59pm Mon 23 Jun 14

mr-dog says...

Whatever the question, beer is the answer.
Whatever the question, beer is the answer. mr-dog
  • Score: 22

5:09pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Robin of Loxley says...

baildongreen wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
Brewing in Bradistan ?

Yep; great move.
I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?
Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)
[quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: Brewing in Bradistan ? Yep; great move.[/p][/quote]I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?[/p][/quote]Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :) Robin of Loxley
  • Score: 16

5:44pm Mon 23 Jun 14

BierleyBoy says...

A good idea, however a terrible location that will make it extremely hard for the business to work on retail side. It's somewhere I would go and check out were it not where it is planned to be.

I wonder how much the council is putting up as a grant for this? Working for a health charity and selling one of the biggest causes of ill health and social deprivation is quite a contradiction.
A good idea, however a terrible location that will make it extremely hard for the business to work on retail side. It's somewhere I would go and check out were it not where it is planned to be. I wonder how much the council is putting up as a grant for this? Working for a health charity and selling one of the biggest causes of ill health and social deprivation is quite a contradiction. BierleyBoy
  • Score: 28

5:45pm Mon 23 Jun 14

bluebluerobin says...

16000 pints a week and rising. To shift that amount of beer their business plan must call for a very high local market share which they will have to take from the likes of Saltaire, Wharfedale, Ilkley, Naylors and the rest. Is the Labour Group being fair offering assistance to a startup that is going to threaten the existence of local firms, many of whom have built up their business with no help from the Council and, on occasions, a lot of hindrance from the jobsworths.

It looks as if the Labour Group have once again been dazzled by the sight of metropolitan capital and driven by the urgent need to fill up the empty buildings as quickly as possible now that they have realised that Westfield/Broadway is going to absorb all the existing businesses, leaving only the tumbleweed drifting down Kirkgate and John Street.

Simply put the Labour group will do what suits them without a thought for their rate payers. As mentioned above the hypocrisy and blatant lying on display at Buck Lane is breathtaking proof of this. I’m surprised Cllr. Hinchcliffe is prepared to show her face in public.
16000 pints a week and rising. To shift that amount of beer their business plan must call for a very high local market share which they will have to take from the likes of Saltaire, Wharfedale, Ilkley, Naylors and the rest. Is the Labour Group being fair offering assistance to a startup that is going to threaten the existence of local firms, many of whom have built up their business with no help from the Council and, on occasions, a lot of hindrance from the jobsworths. It looks as if the Labour Group have once again been dazzled by the sight of metropolitan capital and driven by the urgent need to fill up the empty buildings as quickly as possible now that they have realised that Westfield/Broadway is going to absorb all the existing businesses, leaving only the tumbleweed drifting down Kirkgate and John Street. Simply put the Labour group will do what suits them without a thought for their rate payers. As mentioned above the hypocrisy and blatant lying on display at Buck Lane is breathtaking proof of this. I’m surprised Cllr. Hinchcliffe is prepared to show her face in public. bluebluerobin
  • Score: 28

5:50pm Mon 23 Jun 14

SurprisedByJoyce says...

Robin of Loxley wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
Brewing in Bradistan ?

Yep; great move.
I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?
Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)
Hi Hoffster, I thought you Muslims couldn't touch alcohol. Only today i was reading about somebody in Sudan being whipped for such an offence.
[quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: Brewing in Bradistan ? Yep; great move.[/p][/quote]I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?[/p][/quote]Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)[/p][/quote]Hi Hoffster, I thought you Muslims couldn't touch alcohol. Only today i was reading about somebody in Sudan being whipped for such an offence. SurprisedByJoyce
  • Score: 17

6:04pm Mon 23 Jun 14

schroeder says...

Brilliant! What a fantastic addition to the city centre this will be.

Bradford is establishing itself as a hub for real ale pubs/bars and long may that continue!
Brilliant! What a fantastic addition to the city centre this will be. Bradford is establishing itself as a hub for real ale pubs/bars and long may that continue! schroeder
  • Score: 6

6:09pm Mon 23 Jun 14

linebacker2 says...

baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
[quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS linebacker2
  • Score: -8

7:07pm Mon 23 Jun 14

pcmanners says...

bluebluerobin wrote:
16000 pints a week and rising. To shift that amount of beer their business plan must call for a very high local market share which they will have to take from the likes of Saltaire, Wharfedale, Ilkley, Naylors and the rest. Is the Labour Group being fair offering assistance to a startup that is going to threaten the existence of local firms, many of whom have built up their business with no help from the Council and, on occasions, a lot of hindrance from the jobsworths.

It looks as if the Labour Group have once again been dazzled by the sight of metropolitan capital and driven by the urgent need to fill up the empty buildings as quickly as possible now that they have realised that Westfield/Broadway is going to absorb all the existing businesses, leaving only the tumbleweed drifting down Kirkgate and John Street.

Simply put the Labour group will do what suits them without a thought for their rate payers. As mentioned above the hypocrisy and blatant lying on display at Buck Lane is breathtaking proof of this. I’m surprised Cllr. Hinchcliffe is prepared to show her face in public.
This is an interesting and probably correct analysis.

If the Bradford Brewery does take significant market share because its economies of production allow it undercut our indigenous breweries then one or more of them may have to close. This will result in a loss of jobs far greater than the 11 gained. It will also reduce competition and therefore the market will be less perfect.

The Council, in all its socialist arrogance, has distorted the market. They should not have interfered. Another reason for never voting Labour.
[quote][p][bold]bluebluerobin[/bold] wrote: 16000 pints a week and rising. To shift that amount of beer their business plan must call for a very high local market share which they will have to take from the likes of Saltaire, Wharfedale, Ilkley, Naylors and the rest. Is the Labour Group being fair offering assistance to a startup that is going to threaten the existence of local firms, many of whom have built up their business with no help from the Council and, on occasions, a lot of hindrance from the jobsworths. It looks as if the Labour Group have once again been dazzled by the sight of metropolitan capital and driven by the urgent need to fill up the empty buildings as quickly as possible now that they have realised that Westfield/Broadway is going to absorb all the existing businesses, leaving only the tumbleweed drifting down Kirkgate and John Street. Simply put the Labour group will do what suits them without a thought for their rate payers. As mentioned above the hypocrisy and blatant lying on display at Buck Lane is breathtaking proof of this. I’m surprised Cllr. Hinchcliffe is prepared to show her face in public.[/p][/quote]This is an interesting and probably correct analysis. If the Bradford Brewery does take significant market share because its economies of production allow it undercut our indigenous breweries then one or more of them may have to close. This will result in a loss of jobs far greater than the 11 gained. It will also reduce competition and therefore the market will be less perfect. The Council, in all its socialist arrogance, has distorted the market. They should not have interfered. Another reason for never voting Labour. pcmanners
  • Score: 12

7:30pm Mon 23 Jun 14

baildongreen says...

linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council.

Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed.

All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries.

On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac.

Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted.

However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.
[quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS[/p][/quote]If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council. Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed. All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries. On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac. Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted. However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't. baildongreen
  • Score: 26

7:44pm Mon 23 Jun 14

bachtothefuture says...

pcmanners wrote:
bluebluerobin wrote:
16000 pints a week and rising. To shift that amount of beer their business plan must call for a very high local market share which they will have to take from the likes of Saltaire, Wharfedale, Ilkley, Naylors and the rest. Is the Labour Group being fair offering assistance to a startup that is going to threaten the existence of local firms, many of whom have built up their business with no help from the Council and, on occasions, a lot of hindrance from the jobsworths.

It looks as if the Labour Group have once again been dazzled by the sight of metropolitan capital and driven by the urgent need to fill up the empty buildings as quickly as possible now that they have realised that Westfield/Broadway is going to absorb all the existing businesses, leaving only the tumbleweed drifting down Kirkgate and John Street.

Simply put the Labour group will do what suits them without a thought for their rate payers. As mentioned above the hypocrisy and blatant lying on display at Buck Lane is breathtaking proof of this. I’m surprised Cllr. Hinchcliffe is prepared to show her face in public.
This is an interesting and probably correct analysis.

If the Bradford Brewery does take significant market share because its economies of production allow it undercut our indigenous breweries then one or more of them may have to close. This will result in a loss of jobs far greater than the 11 gained. It will also reduce competition and therefore the market will be less perfect.

The Council, in all its socialist arrogance, has distorted the market. They should not have interfered. Another reason for never voting Labour.
Tend to agree with this. If the council has distorted the market by offering grants or soft loans then it will all end in tears for somebody, most probably the existing breweries. Shame really.
[quote][p][bold]pcmanners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bluebluerobin[/bold] wrote: 16000 pints a week and rising. To shift that amount of beer their business plan must call for a very high local market share which they will have to take from the likes of Saltaire, Wharfedale, Ilkley, Naylors and the rest. Is the Labour Group being fair offering assistance to a startup that is going to threaten the existence of local firms, many of whom have built up their business with no help from the Council and, on occasions, a lot of hindrance from the jobsworths. It looks as if the Labour Group have once again been dazzled by the sight of metropolitan capital and driven by the urgent need to fill up the empty buildings as quickly as possible now that they have realised that Westfield/Broadway is going to absorb all the existing businesses, leaving only the tumbleweed drifting down Kirkgate and John Street. Simply put the Labour group will do what suits them without a thought for their rate payers. As mentioned above the hypocrisy and blatant lying on display at Buck Lane is breathtaking proof of this. I’m surprised Cllr. Hinchcliffe is prepared to show her face in public.[/p][/quote]This is an interesting and probably correct analysis. If the Bradford Brewery does take significant market share because its economies of production allow it undercut our indigenous breweries then one or more of them may have to close. This will result in a loss of jobs far greater than the 11 gained. It will also reduce competition and therefore the market will be less perfect. The Council, in all its socialist arrogance, has distorted the market. They should not have interfered. Another reason for never voting Labour.[/p][/quote]Tend to agree with this. If the council has distorted the market by offering grants or soft loans then it will all end in tears for somebody, most probably the existing breweries. Shame really. bachtothefuture
  • Score: 14

7:56pm Mon 23 Jun 14

bcfc1903 says...

Great Idea. You look at local brewers such as Saltaire Brewery and Ilkley Brewery and the success those have had over the last few years, this just adds to the list of local firms seeing a gap in the brewing market and filling it. Great Idea and there is no doubt that once this scheme is up and running there will be plenty of Bradfordians dropping into the Brewfactory for a pint of Bradford made ale.
It says above.....'The Growth Zone is the Council’s £35m initiative to attract businesses into the city centre'. This is without doubt a great idea from Bradford Council. Well done to all involved in hopefully getting this idea up and running once planning is granted.
Great Idea. You look at local brewers such as Saltaire Brewery and Ilkley Brewery and the success those have had over the last few years, this just adds to the list of local firms seeing a gap in the brewing market and filling it. Great Idea and there is no doubt that once this scheme is up and running there will be plenty of Bradfordians dropping into the Brewfactory for a pint of Bradford made ale. It says above.....'The Growth Zone is the Council’s £35m initiative to attract businesses into the city centre'. This is without doubt a great idea from Bradford Council. Well done to all involved in hopefully getting this idea up and running once planning is granted. bcfc1903
  • Score: -3

7:58pm Mon 23 Jun 14

linebacker2 says...

baildongreen wrote:
linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council.

Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed.

All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries.

On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac.

Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted.

However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.
The initial complaint of the nimbys was that 700 new jobs would cause excess traffic.

Now it's less than 200, you'd expect the locals to be happy - especially as they're not new jobs which means less traffic elsewhere.
[quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS[/p][/quote]If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council. Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed. All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries. On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac. Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted. However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.[/p][/quote]The initial complaint of the nimbys was that 700 new jobs would cause excess traffic. Now it's less than 200, you'd expect the locals to be happy - especially as they're not new jobs which means less traffic elsewhere. linebacker2
  • Score: -13

8:00pm Mon 23 Jun 14

BaildonGuy says...

linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
Hi linebacker, nothing to do with being a nimby, more to do with being an honest citizen staring slack jawed at the lies the Council have told.

Put simply losing 15 acres of green field in exchange for 700 jobs is one thing and it's livable with; losing 15 acres to existing Leeds based companies and practically no jobs is something else altogether. Especially when there is nothing stopping these companies relocating onto one of the local brownfields.
[quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS[/p][/quote]Hi linebacker, nothing to do with being a nimby, more to do with being an honest citizen staring slack jawed at the lies the Council have told. Put simply losing 15 acres of green field in exchange for 700 jobs is one thing and it's livable with; losing 15 acres to existing Leeds based companies and practically no jobs is something else altogether. Especially when there is nothing stopping these companies relocating onto one of the local brownfields. BaildonGuy
  • Score: 17

8:09pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Robin of Loxley says...

SurprisedByJoyce wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
Brewing in Bradistan ?

Yep; great move.
I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?
Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)
Hi Hoffster, I thought you Muslims couldn't touch alcohol. Only today i was reading about somebody in Sudan being whipped for such an offence.
Hi there, Joycey

One must be careful not to take into account what happens in a 3rd world country (and then pass it off as the norm). The folks over there tend to mix *culture* with religion which is a pretty bad, er...mix.
[quote][p][bold]SurprisedByJoyce[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: Brewing in Bradistan ? Yep; great move.[/p][/quote]I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?[/p][/quote]Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)[/p][/quote]Hi Hoffster, I thought you Muslims couldn't touch alcohol. Only today i was reading about somebody in Sudan being whipped for such an offence.[/p][/quote]Hi there, Joycey One must be careful not to take into account what happens in a 3rd world country (and then pass it off as the norm). The folks over there tend to mix *culture* with religion which is a pretty bad, er...mix. Robin of Loxley
  • Score: 12

8:09pm Mon 23 Jun 14

schroeder says...

BierleyBoy wrote:
A good idea, however a terrible location that will make it extremely hard for the business to work on retail side. It's somewhere I would go and check out were it not where it is planned to be.

I wonder how much the council is putting up as a grant for this? Working for a health charity and selling one of the biggest causes of ill health and social deprivation is quite a contradiction.
I think it's a great location. Just nip down Rawson Road and you're at Northgate Square/ North Parade which is thriving at the moment with bars such as The Sparrow and Al's Dime Bar.
[quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: A good idea, however a terrible location that will make it extremely hard for the business to work on retail side. It's somewhere I would go and check out were it not where it is planned to be. I wonder how much the council is putting up as a grant for this? Working for a health charity and selling one of the biggest causes of ill health and social deprivation is quite a contradiction.[/p][/quote]I think it's a great location. Just nip down Rawson Road and you're at Northgate Square/ North Parade which is thriving at the moment with bars such as The Sparrow and Al's Dime Bar. schroeder
  • Score: 1

8:10pm Mon 23 Jun 14

baildongreen says...

linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council.

Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed.

All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries.

On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac.

Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted.

However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.
The initial complaint of the nimbys was that 700 new jobs would cause excess traffic.

Now it's less than 200, you'd expect the locals to be happy - especially as they're not new jobs which means less traffic elsewhere.
That's it. People like Cllrs Green and Hinchcliffe promised 700 plus new jobs and are delivering less than 200 existing ones and practically no new jobs. The number of new jobs was, quite rightly, their big selling point since the Bradford unemployment rate is about twice the national average. If there aren't any new jobs then what is the point of the exercise?
[quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS[/p][/quote]If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council. Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed. All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries. On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac. Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted. However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.[/p][/quote]The initial complaint of the nimbys was that 700 new jobs would cause excess traffic. Now it's less than 200, you'd expect the locals to be happy - especially as they're not new jobs which means less traffic elsewhere.[/p][/quote]That's it. People like Cllrs Green and Hinchcliffe promised 700 plus new jobs and are delivering less than 200 existing ones and practically no new jobs. The number of new jobs was, quite rightly, their big selling point since the Bradford unemployment rate is about twice the national average. If there aren't any new jobs then what is the point of the exercise? baildongreen
  • Score: 15

8:15pm Mon 23 Jun 14

RAD1981 says...

So excited about this. Something positive coming out of Bradford. BD1 is having a resurgence :)
So excited about this. Something positive coming out of Bradford. BD1 is having a resurgence :) RAD1981
  • Score: -2

8:16pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Bradford56 says...

Can't wait to try this place! Our very own Bradford brewery! I will be fully supporting along with many of my friends. Just hope people accept the location though. Would have been better at the old Nawab restaurant on Manor Row maybe but hopefully it will be a massive success!! :)
Can't wait to try this place! Our very own Bradford brewery! I will be fully supporting along with many of my friends. Just hope people accept the location though. Would have been better at the old Nawab restaurant on Manor Row maybe but hopefully it will be a massive success!! :) Bradford56
  • Score: 0

8:16pm Mon 23 Jun 14

SurprisedByJoyce says...

Robin of Loxley wrote:
SurprisedByJoyce wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
Brewing in Bradistan ?

Yep; great move.
I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?
Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)
Hi Hoffster, I thought you Muslims couldn't touch alcohol. Only today i was reading about somebody in Sudan being whipped for such an offence.
Hi there, Joycey

One must be careful not to take into account what happens in a 3rd world country (and then pass it off as the norm). The folks over there tend to mix *culture* with religion which is a pretty bad, er...mix.
Thank you. Don't these third world types realise the damage they are doing to the acceptability of Islam in the west? The recent sentences in Egypt don't help either.
[quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SurprisedByJoyce[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: Brewing in Bradistan ? Yep; great move.[/p][/quote]I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?[/p][/quote]Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)[/p][/quote]Hi Hoffster, I thought you Muslims couldn't touch alcohol. Only today i was reading about somebody in Sudan being whipped for such an offence.[/p][/quote]Hi there, Joycey One must be careful not to take into account what happens in a 3rd world country (and then pass it off as the norm). The folks over there tend to mix *culture* with religion which is a pretty bad, er...mix.[/p][/quote]Thank you. Don't these third world types realise the damage they are doing to the acceptability of Islam in the west? The recent sentences in Egypt don't help either. SurprisedByJoyce
  • Score: 10

8:20pm Mon 23 Jun 14

BD16 says...

SurprisedByJoyce wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
Brewing in Bradistan ?

Yep; great move.
I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?
Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)
Hi Hoffster, I thought you Muslims couldn't touch alcohol. Only today i was reading about somebody in Sudan being whipped for such an offence.
Don't you remember him from the 80's? Hofmeister- follow the bear. That was him, really!
[quote][p][bold]SurprisedByJoyce[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: Brewing in Bradistan ? Yep; great move.[/p][/quote]I thought you weren't allowed to touch the stuff. Isn't it ramadan soon anyway?[/p][/quote]Not sure who told you we can't touch the stuff. And yes, it'll be Ramadan soon (in about a week's time) :)[/p][/quote]Hi Hoffster, I thought you Muslims couldn't touch alcohol. Only today i was reading about somebody in Sudan being whipped for such an offence.[/p][/quote]Don't you remember him from the 80's? Hofmeister- follow the bear. That was him, really! BD16
  • Score: 14

8:33pm Mon 23 Jun 14

sorrow&anger says...

Bradford56 wrote:
Can't wait to try this place! Our very own Bradford brewery! I will be fully supporting along with many of my friends. Just hope people accept the location though. Would have been better at the old Nawab restaurant on Manor Row maybe but hopefully it will be a massive success!! :)
Why wait. There's plenty of good local craft breweries (I favour Naylors at Cross Hills). Find a pub that serves them, or have a word with your landlord. This might be a better bet than waiting for the Council to deliver on a promise.
[quote][p][bold]Bradford56[/bold] wrote: Can't wait to try this place! Our very own Bradford brewery! I will be fully supporting along with many of my friends. Just hope people accept the location though. Would have been better at the old Nawab restaurant on Manor Row maybe but hopefully it will be a massive success!! :)[/p][/quote]Why wait. There's plenty of good local craft breweries (I favour Naylors at Cross Hills). Find a pub that serves them, or have a word with your landlord. This might be a better bet than waiting for the Council to deliver on a promise. sorrow&anger
  • Score: 6

9:08pm Mon 23 Jun 14

gouldengirl says...

linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council.

Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed.

All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries.

On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac.

Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted.

However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.
The initial complaint of the nimbys was that 700 new jobs would cause excess traffic.

Now it's less than 200, you'd expect the locals to be happy - especially as they're not new jobs which means less traffic elsewhere.
Hello linebacker. I think the situation is fairly simple. I don't live in Baildon but a bit further along the road and even I can remember all the announcements from the Council about 700 and whatever new jobs. All we have to do is wait and count the number of new jobs that have been created when the estate is finished.

If there are close to 700 then the will have been Council right, if not, then they weren't, and the complaints will have been justified. Hopefully in that case somebody's head will roll. I think Cllr Hinchcliffe is in charge these days.
[quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS[/p][/quote]If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council. Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed. All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries. On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac. Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted. However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.[/p][/quote]The initial complaint of the nimbys was that 700 new jobs would cause excess traffic. Now it's less than 200, you'd expect the locals to be happy - especially as they're not new jobs which means less traffic elsewhere.[/p][/quote]Hello linebacker. I think the situation is fairly simple. I don't live in Baildon but a bit further along the road and even I can remember all the announcements from the Council about 700 and whatever new jobs. All we have to do is wait and count the number of new jobs that have been created when the estate is finished. If there are close to 700 then the will have been Council right, if not, then they weren't, and the complaints will have been justified. Hopefully in that case somebody's head will roll. I think Cllr Hinchcliffe is in charge these days. gouldengirl
  • Score: 6

9:27pm Mon 23 Jun 14

gouldengirl says...

gouldengirl wrote:
linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council.

Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed.

All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries.

On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac.

Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted.

However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.
The initial complaint of the nimbys was that 700 new jobs would cause excess traffic.

Now it's less than 200, you'd expect the locals to be happy - especially as they're not new jobs which means less traffic elsewhere.
Hello linebacker. I think the situation is fairly simple. I don't live in Baildon but a bit further along the road and even I can remember all the announcements from the Council about 700 and whatever new jobs. All we have to do is wait and count the number of new jobs that have been created when the estate is finished.

If there are close to 700 then the will have been Council right, if not, then they weren't, and the complaints will have been justified. Hopefully in that case somebody's head will roll. I think Cllr Hinchcliffe is in charge these days.
Sorry linebacker, the kids got me one of these blessed tablets and I'm struggling. What I meant to say, of course, was;

If there are close to 700 then the Council will have been right, if not, then they weren't, and the complaints will have been justified. Hopefully in that case somebody's head will roll. I think Cllr Hinchcliffe is in charge these days.

I notice bcfc and his clones have been thumbed down quite vigorously.
[quote][p][bold]gouldengirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS[/p][/quote]If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council. Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed. All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries. On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac. Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted. However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.[/p][/quote]The initial complaint of the nimbys was that 700 new jobs would cause excess traffic. Now it's less than 200, you'd expect the locals to be happy - especially as they're not new jobs which means less traffic elsewhere.[/p][/quote]Hello linebacker. I think the situation is fairly simple. I don't live in Baildon but a bit further along the road and even I can remember all the announcements from the Council about 700 and whatever new jobs. All we have to do is wait and count the number of new jobs that have been created when the estate is finished. If there are close to 700 then the will have been Council right, if not, then they weren't, and the complaints will have been justified. Hopefully in that case somebody's head will roll. I think Cllr Hinchcliffe is in charge these days.[/p][/quote]Sorry linebacker, the kids got me one of these blessed tablets and I'm struggling. What I meant to say, of course, was; If there are close to 700 then the Council will have been right, if not, then they weren't, and the complaints will have been justified. Hopefully in that case somebody's head will roll. I think Cllr Hinchcliffe is in charge these days. I notice bcfc and his clones have been thumbed down quite vigorously. gouldengirl
  • Score: 6

10:38pm Mon 23 Jun 14

bachtothefuture says...

baildongreen wrote:
linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council.

Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed.

All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries.

On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac.

Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted.

However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.
This seems serious. The Council have let everybody down here and not stuck to their word. They're also failing to provide jobs which must be their number concern.

Is Buck Lane really that clear cut?
[quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS[/p][/quote]If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council. Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed. All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries. On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac. Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted. However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.[/p][/quote]This seems serious. The Council have let everybody down here and not stuck to their word. They're also failing to provide jobs which must be their number concern. Is Buck Lane really that clear cut? bachtothefuture
  • Score: 4

10:52pm Mon 23 Jun 14

BaildonGuy says...

bachtothefuture wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
linebacker2 wrote:
baildongreen wrote:
So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.
That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS
If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council.

Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed.

All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries.

On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac.

Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted.

However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.
This seems serious. The Council have let everybody down here and not stuck to their word. They're also failing to provide jobs which must be their number concern.

Is Buck Lane really that clear cut?
I’m afraid it is. But please don’’t take my word for it, because I know its hard to believe that the Council would tell so many lies. Spin yes, that’s expected, but not out and out falsehoods.

Just search the T&A archives for Buck lane there’s loads of stuff. The first time the Council committed itself to 700 new jobs is here:

http://www.thetelegr
aphandargus.co.uk/ar
chive/2010/10/13/844
8594.Blot_on_the_lan
dscape_____or_the_ke
y_to_a_brighter_futu
re_/

And to find out how far they’ve strayed, look at this planning application here:

http://www planning4bradford com/online-applicati
ons/applicationDetai
ls do?activeTab=documen
ts&keyVal=N2OBNJDHLT
000
[quote][p][bold]bachtothefuture[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baildongreen[/bold] wrote: So the Council's ambition is to develop “a Producer City where things are made”. So why is it filling Buck Lane with distributors and people who manufacture abroad? Council policy is just made up as it goes along.[/p][/quote]That Buck Lane site the nimby's are moaning about is a small industrial estate, not a nuclear power plant or petrochemical complex FFS[/p][/quote]If I’m understanding correctly this complaint has nothing to do with Nimbyism and everything to do with the honesty and integrity of the Council. Since you have been following the Buck Lane saga you will know that the Council promised over 700 new jobs. In fact less than 200 already existing jobs will move onto the site. The number of new jobs will be tiny and its not even certain that they will go to the Bradford unemployed. All of the companies are based in Leeds, they are not helping Bradford firms as was promised. The Council promised a technology cluster of R&D based firms; the companies, so far, are metal stockholders and distributors working in different industries. On top of that the Council promised an estate of ultra-modern buildings and sympathetic landscaping, the reality is tin sheds sitting in a sea of tarmac. Every major promise has been deliberately broken. Even the people who were, on balance, in favour of the scheme are now totally disgusted. However the Council will collect the business rates and so I suppose they’ll be sniggering all the way to the bank. City Hall will benefit, its citizens won't.[/p][/quote]This seems serious. The Council have let everybody down here and not stuck to their word. They're also failing to provide jobs which must be their number concern. Is Buck Lane really that clear cut?[/p][/quote]I’m afraid it is. But please don’’t take my word for it, because I know its hard to believe that the Council would tell so many lies. Spin yes, that’s expected, but not out and out falsehoods. Just search the T&A archives for Buck lane there’s loads of stuff. The first time the Council committed itself to 700 new jobs is here: http://www.thetelegr aphandargus.co.uk/ar chive/2010/10/13/844 8594.Blot_on_the_lan dscape_____or_the_ke y_to_a_brighter_futu re_/ And to find out how far they’ve strayed, look at this planning application here: http://www planning4bradford com/online-applicati ons/applicationDetai ls do?activeTab=documen ts&keyVal=N2OBNJDHLT 000 BaildonGuy
  • Score: 0

10:15am Tue 24 Jun 14

bcfc1903 says...

schroeder wrote:
BierleyBoy wrote:
A good idea, however a terrible location that will make it extremely hard for the business to work on retail side. It's somewhere I would go and check out were it not where it is planned to be.

I wonder how much the council is putting up as a grant for this? Working for a health charity and selling one of the biggest causes of ill health and social deprivation is quite a contradiction.
I think it's a great location. Just nip down Rawson Road and you're at Northgate Square/ North Parade which is thriving at the moment with bars such as The Sparrow and Al's Dime Bar.
Totally agree schroeder, this brewery scheme will certainly add to the area around Westgate and North Parade. As you say, North Parade is thriving at the minute with the two bars you mentioned great additions to the Bradford pub scene. Looking forward to dropping into the Brewfactory for a pint of Bradford brewed beer :-).
[quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: A good idea, however a terrible location that will make it extremely hard for the business to work on retail side. It's somewhere I would go and check out were it not where it is planned to be. I wonder how much the council is putting up as a grant for this? Working for a health charity and selling one of the biggest causes of ill health and social deprivation is quite a contradiction.[/p][/quote]I think it's a great location. Just nip down Rawson Road and you're at Northgate Square/ North Parade which is thriving at the moment with bars such as The Sparrow and Al's Dime Bar.[/p][/quote]Totally agree schroeder, this brewery scheme will certainly add to the area around Westgate and North Parade. As you say, North Parade is thriving at the minute with the two bars you mentioned great additions to the Bradford pub scene. Looking forward to dropping into the Brewfactory for a pint of Bradford brewed beer :-). bcfc1903
  • Score: 6

8:54am Fri 27 Jun 14

khalidmalikbadass says...

But people prefer vodka and brandy these days beer is no good
But people prefer vodka and brandy these days beer is no good khalidmalikbadass
  • Score: -4

2:27pm Tue 1 Jul 14

number1inyorkshire says...

NOT SO GOOD NEWS THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE HALLIDAY WAS THE ONE IN A PREVIOUS T&A STORY FROM THE FISHERMAN AT BINGLEY WHO TOOK EVERYONES CHRISTMAS BOOKING MONEY ...AND OWES THOUSANDS OF POUNDS TO CREDITORS HAVING GONE BUST X2
NOT SO GOOD NEWS THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE HALLIDAY WAS THE ONE IN A PREVIOUS T&A STORY FROM THE FISHERMAN AT BINGLEY WHO TOOK EVERYONES CHRISTMAS BOOKING MONEY ...AND OWES THOUSANDS OF POUNDS TO CREDITORS HAVING GONE BUST X2 number1inyorkshire
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree