Four men accused of Barry Selby's murder opt not to give evidence (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Four men accused of Barry Selby's murder opt not to give evidence
Updated 5:40pm Monday 16th June 2014 in News
FOUR men accused of murdering a 50-year-old man at his Bradford home have opted not to give evidence.
Lee Calvert, 23, of Stirling Crescent, Holme Wood, Bradford; Joseph Lowther, 21, of Copgrove Road, Holme Wood; Robert Woodhead, 28, of Fred's Place, Tyersal; and Andrew Feather, 23, of Heysham Drive, Holme Wood, have all pleaded not guilty to the murder of Barry Selby, of Rayleigh Street, East Bowling, Bradford on October 14 last year.
But Calvert, Lowther, Woodhead or Feather all opted not to give any evidence in their defence, the trial at Bradford Crown Court was told today.
However, written evidence from Woodhead is expected to be read out to the jury when the trial resumes on Wednesday.
Feather was today found not guilty of charges of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life and also possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence under the trial judge Mr Justice Globe's direction to the jury.
The other three men still face these two charges.
Mr Selby died in hospital three days after an incident at his home in the early hours of Monday, October 14 last year, in which he suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and extensive acid burns.
The firearms charges relate to an incident where shots were allegedly fired at a house in Farway, Holme Wood, four hours earlier.
A fifth defendant, Calvert's girlfriend Natasha Wall, 24, of Stirling Crescent, saw the original charge against her of perverting the course of justice, for which she had pleaded not guilty, replaced by a charge of conspiracy to obstruct a constable in the execution of his duty.
She pleaded guilty to the amended charge and, Mr Justice Globe directed the jury to convict her.
Wall will be sentenced at the end of the trial.
Addressing the jury, Mr Justice Globe said: "Natasha Wall is out of the case.
"There has never been any suggestion she was involved in the action of that night. The allegations against her was related to her behaviour after the night and during the investigation."
Mr Justice Globe is scheduled to sum up the case next Monday with the jury expected to go out to start considering its verdict the same day.
The trial will continue on Wednesday with two days scheduled to be given to the closing speeches for the prosecution and each of the four defendants' barristers.