The driver of a stolen BMW 4x4 rammed a police car during a 12-mile, high speed chase that ended when he crashed through bushes and into a wall.

Ommar Malik, 23, hit speeds of more than 100mph, travelled on the wrong side of the road, mounted kerbs and ignored red traffic lights as he hurtled between Bradford and Tingley early on April 30 this year, the city's Crown Court was told today.

The pursuit, which saw a police helicopter deployed, ended when Malik lost control at a junction - although he tried to run off through fields before officers caught him.

Malik, who pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking, driving whilst disqualified, and driving without insurance, at an earlier hearing at Bradford and Keighley Magistrates' Court, was jailed for 12 months and banned from driving for two years.

Prosecutor Martin Robertshaw said during the pursuit the vehicle's speed "sometimes went over 100mph", adding that it also hit 95mph and 90mph in "30 and 40mph areas".

Bradford Crown Court heard that the first pursuing officer believed Malik had "seen sense" when he pulled the car over part way into the chase.

But Mr Robertshaw said: "In fact, it was a trap. The police vehicle pulled up behind and this defendant reversed at speed, ramming the police vehicle on the front bonnet. The damage to the police car was such that the officer was unable to continue the chase.

"The engine was smoking and was no doubt a fire risk."

The chase had started at about 12.40am after the silver BMW was spotted "dangerously overtaking" vehicles in Sticker Lane, Bradford. Police quickly established the car had been stolen during a burglary in Ilkley 24 hours earlier.

The car was followed on to the Staygate roundabout at the M606 but, after police put on their flashing lights to pull it over, it sped off down the motorway and then travelled along the A58 and A650, before crashing on Heybeck Lane, Tingley.

Mr Robertshaw said: "The car was not under control and crashed through bushes and hit a boundary wall, causing severe damage to the vehicle. The car rolled over twice before coming to rest on its roof."

Ian Howard, mitigating, said Malik helped his mum care for his father and siblings, and added: "He does have a very good grasp of the significance of it and the danger he presented."

Mr Howard added that Malik was moving the BMW for a friend he had met in prison, and was due to make "£30 or £40" for doing so.

Judge Colin Burn described the ramming of the police car as a "particularly aggravating feature" of the chase, adding that it was done "without any regard to whether it would cause any injury to the officer". The court heard that the officer was not injured.

The court was told that Malik, of Normanton, West Yorkshire, had previous convictions for dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, possession of class A drugs, and theft of a vehicle.