A woman and two children escaped from a house fire in Bradford last night.

The blaze involved a tumble dryer in an airing cupboard at a house in Denbrook Close, off Tong Street, at just after 7.30pm, with fire crews from Bradford and Odsal called out.

Fire crews also requested a fire emergency support service vehicle, run by the Red Cross, to give help to the woman and children aged under ten.

The fire started in an airing cupboard on the stairs of the semi-detatched house in Tong and the three residents were outside when firefighters arrived.

Crew commander Ian Turner said: “All of the people in the house were fine.

“There was a fair bit of smoke damage to the house. They were not able to stay there.

“The whole upstairs of the house was covered in smoke.

“The lady saw the smoke coming from the tumble dryer she was using at the time and acted quickly.”