Bradford Council free school transport cut to be probed

Councillor Roger L’Amie

Councillor Roger L’Amie

First published in News
Last updated

A controversial decision to make cuts to free school transport will be examined by a scrutiny committee next week.

The cost-cutting measures will see Bradford Council ending the discretionary travel help it gives to certain pupils, such as those attending faith schools, under fives with special educational needs and children attending pupil referral units.

The Council’s Labour executive approved the plan earlier this month, despite opposition from faith schools, the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats, and even activists from within its own party.

Now the Council’s Conservative group has ‘called in’ this decision for examination, hoping to force the authority to make a U-turn.

It will be considered by members of the children’s services overview and scrutiny committee, who could refer the decision back to the full Council if they are unhappy with it.

The education spokesman for the Conservatives, Councillor Roger L’Amie, called the Labour executive’s decision “perverse”.

He said his group had felt compelled to give Labour another chance to change their minds and make “what we consider to be the correct decision.”

He said: “It is to me perverse that a council, which has a statutory obligation to provide for free transport for children over five years old with special educational needs, is considering the removal of such transport to younger children, simply because there is no law to force them to.

“This smacks of looking after vulnerable people when forced to by Government, but otherwise leaving them to it.”

But Councillor Ralph Berry, executive member for children’s services, stood by the decision, saying the district had been spending far more on discretionary transport than other similar authorities.

He said: “We are trying to go about this in a way that protects the most vulnerable.”

Under the changes, the Council will continue to offer free school transport to those living more than the statutory walking distance from their nearest school, which is two miles for under-eights and three miles for those aged eight and over.

Any child currently getting free school transport will not be affected by the changes, which will take effect from September 2015.

The matter will be considered by the children’s services overview and scrutiny committee at its next meeting, on Tuesday at 5.30pm at City Hall.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:51pm Tue 29 Apr 14

OLDLAD says...

Any child going to a school, not of their choosing, requiring bus travel should get a pass. Those who travel to a school because that's the one they want pay for it. What is the problem. If you want a "good school" miles away then pay.
Any child going to a school, not of their choosing, requiring bus travel should get a pass. Those who travel to a school because that's the one they want pay for it. What is the problem. If you want a "good school" miles away then pay. OLDLAD
  • Score: 19

7:43pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Ratters Rat says...

I agree with the free bus pass been withdrawn.
It has made it fair for all parents.
Why you get a free bus pass if your child goes to a faith school is beyond me as this is parental choice.
As a parent of 3 children I know the full cost of this and at present pay £ 68.00 for 2 passes.
I feel strongly that every parent/ child are treated the same.
Can I point out that all secondary schools will celebrate religious occasions what ever religion and parents only have to request a service in the prayer room. Which is there to be used by all faiths.As will primary schools.
There should be no reason for any child to have free travel unless they are special needs and need to be escorted and this is now covered by the yellow bus / metro which now have an escort on all their buses.
I agree with the free bus pass been withdrawn. It has made it fair for all parents. Why you get a free bus pass if your child goes to a faith school is beyond me as this is parental choice. As a parent of 3 children I know the full cost of this and at present pay £ 68.00 for 2 passes. I feel strongly that every parent/ child are treated the same. Can I point out that all secondary schools will celebrate religious occasions what ever religion and parents only have to request a service in the prayer room. Which is there to be used by all faiths.As will primary schools. There should be no reason for any child to have free travel unless they are special needs and need to be escorted and this is now covered by the yellow bus / metro which now have an escort on all their buses. Ratters Rat
  • Score: 10

8:22pm Tue 29 Apr 14

alive and awake says...

Election time looming so we will see loads of these cost cutting and blaming issues. Use these Elections to demonstrate your annoyance of the mismanagement of our monies, and lack of any worthwhile vision.
Election time looming so we will see loads of these cost cutting and blaming issues. Use these Elections to demonstrate your annoyance of the mismanagement of our monies, and lack of any worthwhile vision. alive and awake
  • Score: 4

9:10pm Tue 29 Apr 14

micela22 says...

I chose to send my child to the school of my choice which wasn`t the nearest & I was happy to pay the bus fare cost, my choice - my responsibility, do whatever you want but don`t expect others to subsidise you
I chose to send my child to the school of my choice which wasn`t the nearest & I was happy to pay the bus fare cost, my choice - my responsibility, do whatever you want but don`t expect others to subsidise you micela22
  • Score: 12

9:16pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Storck says...

You had the kids, you pay for them. Get rid of all free travel. You decided to live miles away from a school, so pay the bus fare.
You had the kids, you pay for them. Get rid of all free travel. You decided to live miles away from a school, so pay the bus fare. Storck
  • Score: 4

9:44pm Tue 29 Apr 14

bingleybantam says...

Send kids to your local school & don't bus kids from other areas for the sake of some leftist views of "intergration". Problem solved.
Send kids to your local school & don't bus kids from other areas for the sake of some leftist views of "intergration". Problem solved. bingleybantam
  • Score: 3

10:05pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Ratters Rat says...

bingleybantam wrote:
Send kids to your local school & don't bus kids from other areas for the sake of some leftist views of "intergration". Problem solved.
Great idea but you have to put down 5 primary/secondary schools on the form from Children services/Education Bradford they decide which one its out of the parents hands once you have sent your forms in .They don't always take into account siblings at the school its become a lottery to which school you get.
[quote][p][bold]bingleybantam[/bold] wrote: Send kids to your local school & don't bus kids from other areas for the sake of some leftist views of "intergration". Problem solved.[/p][/quote]Great idea but you have to put down 5 primary/secondary schools on the form from Children services/Education Bradford they decide which one its out of the parents hands once you have sent your forms in .They don't always take into account siblings at the school its become a lottery to which school you get. Ratters Rat
  • Score: 3

11:43pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Storck says...

A lottery implies it is random when the school allocation system is the exact opposite, it has very well laid down rules and procedures that are followed to get to the end result. It might not be the end result a lot of parents want but it is certainly not a lottery.
A lottery implies it is random when the school allocation system is the exact opposite, it has very well laid down rules and procedures that are followed to get to the end result. It might not be the end result a lot of parents want but it is certainly not a lottery. Storck
  • Score: 4

12:07am Wed 30 Apr 14

#ilovebradford says...

If you have children you are responsible to get them to school. Everyone should pay for this apart from people with disabilities.
However, the council have a responsibility to provide local school place for local children. It would seem from the last 2 articles in the T and A on primary and secondary school places applications for this September. We do not have enough local school places for primary and secondary education. Is this why the spending is higher than other LA? More children having to travel further to school due to lack of local school places?
Bradford education needs a major strategy to address the population needs in all areas of Bradford. We have had the bad press reports. Under performing schools in Uk. Most deprived etc. Not enough schools or places to meet the existing and growing population.
We now want a realistic plan to be consulted with how we can turn Bradford Education arround. Until we face facts, it will never change.
If you have children you are responsible to get them to school. Everyone should pay for this apart from people with disabilities. However, the council have a responsibility to provide local school place for local children. It would seem from the last 2 articles in the T and A on primary and secondary school places applications for this September. We do not have enough local school places for primary and secondary education. Is this why the spending is higher than other LA? More children having to travel further to school due to lack of local school places? Bradford education needs a major strategy to address the population needs in all areas of Bradford. We have had the bad press reports. Under performing schools in Uk. Most deprived etc. Not enough schools or places to meet the existing and growing population. We now want a realistic plan to be consulted with how we can turn Bradford Education arround. Until we face facts, it will never change. #ilovebradford
  • Score: 4

12:15am Wed 30 Apr 14

#ilovebradford says...

I would firstly worry about the lack of primary and secondary school places for the current children of Bradford who have not got a local school place.

Furthermore, when all the proposed new homes are built. Where will they get a school place. It seems every area in Bradford is still recovering from poorly planned infrastructure problem from the last LDF in 2008.

New schools needed all across Bradford. Not just adding on to existing schools and doubling year intakes. Schools are getting to large. We need to try to improve teaching conditions not make them even harder. How on earth we can get the under performing schools back on track when the classes are over 30. The Diverse levels of spoken and written English is making teaching impossible due to the EU. There used to be a system in place with a prep school that taught basic levels of English were in place before the children attended main stream school. This happened due to the industrial revolution in Bradford to help everyone that came into Bradford to work adapt.
The high level of safe guarding issues and paper work to go with it, taking teachers time away from spending quality teaching time with children.
We need to get away from deprived, under performing Bradford. Face the facts, the environment, population increases, language barriers, deprived families and do something about it.
I would firstly worry about the lack of primary and secondary school places for the current children of Bradford who have not got a local school place. Furthermore, when all the proposed new homes are built. Where will they get a school place. It seems every area in Bradford is still recovering from poorly planned infrastructure problem from the last LDF in 2008. New schools needed all across Bradford. Not just adding on to existing schools and doubling year intakes. Schools are getting to large. We need to try to improve teaching conditions not make them even harder. How on earth we can get the under performing schools back on track when the classes are over 30. The Diverse levels of spoken and written English is making teaching impossible due to the EU. There used to be a system in place with a prep school that taught basic levels of English were in place before the children attended main stream school. This happened due to the industrial revolution in Bradford to help everyone that came into Bradford to work adapt. The high level of safe guarding issues and paper work to go with it, taking teachers time away from spending quality teaching time with children. We need to get away from deprived, under performing Bradford. Face the facts, the environment, population increases, language barriers, deprived families and do something about it. #ilovebradford
  • Score: 2

6:23am Wed 30 Apr 14

Ratters Rat says...

Storck wrote:
A lottery implies it is random when the school allocation system is the exact opposite, it has very well laid down rules and procedures that are followed to get to the end result. It might not be the end result a lot of parents want but it is certainly not a lottery.
That is exactly what it has become. Parents want the best education for their children and rightly so.
Parents are more aware of standards in the schools Ofsted ratings as schools have to be transparent.
If your child is put in a poor performing school you have NO right of appeal as the Education service will say your child has a school place.
We have parents having to drive/ bus children across the city.
A few years ago a parent in Clayton wanted to send their children to the local school. The school offered everything the parent needed breakfast club/ after school club as the parents worked .
They got allocated a school in Lidget Green as the school was over subscribed it provided non of the clubs required by the parents.
Go to a child minder good idea only the child minder had to take other children to the local school so wasn't able to take these children.
Its OK building all these new houses but the schools can't cope with the influx of children.
Many parents find out if they move that they can't move children's schools and are kriss krossing the city.
Secondary school's can be a bigger nightmare.
One secondary school has an intake from 80 Primary schools across the city.
Another example is children in Holmewood having to travel to Wyke. Local secondary school no it doesn't even have a direct bus route .
The reason why its in the south of Bradford and so is Holmewood.
They keep moving the goal posts and changing the system that's why you can say its a lottery.
[quote][p][bold]Storck[/bold] wrote: A lottery implies it is random when the school allocation system is the exact opposite, it has very well laid down rules and procedures that are followed to get to the end result. It might not be the end result a lot of parents want but it is certainly not a lottery.[/p][/quote]That is exactly what it has become. Parents want the best education for their children and rightly so. Parents are more aware of standards in the schools Ofsted ratings as schools have to be transparent. If your child is put in a poor performing school you have NO right of appeal as the Education service will say your child has a school place. We have parents having to drive/ bus children across the city. A few years ago a parent in Clayton wanted to send their children to the local school. The school offered everything the parent needed breakfast club/ after school club as the parents worked . They got allocated a school in Lidget Green as the school was over subscribed it provided non of the clubs required by the parents. Go to a child minder good idea only the child minder had to take other children to the local school so wasn't able to take these children. Its OK building all these new houses but the schools can't cope with the influx of children. Many parents find out if they move that they can't move children's schools and are kriss krossing the city. Secondary school's can be a bigger nightmare. One secondary school has an intake from 80 Primary schools across the city. Another example is children in Holmewood having to travel to Wyke. Local secondary school no it doesn't even have a direct bus route . The reason why its in the south of Bradford and so is Holmewood. They keep moving the goal posts and changing the system that's why you can say its a lottery. Ratters Rat
  • Score: 3

7:27am Wed 30 Apr 14

Joedavid says...

Ratters Rat wrote:
bingleybantam wrote:
Send kids to your local school & don't bus kids from other areas for the sake of some leftist views of "intergration". Problem solved.
Great idea but you have to put down 5 primary/secondary schools on the form from Children services/Education Bradford they decide which one its out of the parents hands once you have sent your forms in .They don't always take into account siblings at the school its become a lottery to which school you get.
Brothers and sisters should go to same school by right.
[quote][p][bold]Ratters Rat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bingleybantam[/bold] wrote: Send kids to your local school & don't bus kids from other areas for the sake of some leftist views of "intergration". Problem solved.[/p][/quote]Great idea but you have to put down 5 primary/secondary schools on the form from Children services/Education Bradford they decide which one its out of the parents hands once you have sent your forms in .They don't always take into account siblings at the school its become a lottery to which school you get.[/p][/quote]Brothers and sisters should go to same school by right. Joedavid
  • Score: 2

10:43am Wed 30 Apr 14

allinittogether says...

Ratters Rat wrote:
Storck wrote:
A lottery implies it is random when the school allocation system is the exact opposite, it has very well laid down rules and procedures that are followed to get to the end result. It might not be the end result a lot of parents want but it is certainly not a lottery.
That is exactly what it has become. Parents want the best education for their children and rightly so.
Parents are more aware of standards in the schools Ofsted ratings as schools have to be transparent.
If your child is put in a poor performing school you have NO right of appeal as the Education service will say your child has a school place.
We have parents having to drive/ bus children across the city.
A few years ago a parent in Clayton wanted to send their children to the local school. The school offered everything the parent needed breakfast club/ after school club as the parents worked .
They got allocated a school in Lidget Green as the school was over subscribed it provided non of the clubs required by the parents.
Go to a child minder good idea only the child minder had to take other children to the local school so wasn't able to take these children.
Its OK building all these new houses but the schools can't cope with the influx of children.
Many parents find out if they move that they can't move children's schools and are kriss krossing the city.
Secondary school's can be a bigger nightmare.
One secondary school has an intake from 80 Primary schools across the city.
Another example is children in Holmewood having to travel to Wyke. Local secondary school no it doesn't even have a direct bus route .
The reason why its in the south of Bradford and so is Holmewood.
They keep moving the goal posts and changing the system that's why you can say its a lottery.
As you say, all parents want the best education for their children but there are inevitably some better schools than others. So if all parents put the "best" school as their first choice how do you suggest the authority allocates the places?
This is a national problem not peculiar to Bradford.
As has been reported previously some parents still only put one choice school down despite being repeatedly told to include at least three.
The only real solution is to make it compulsory to send children to their nearest school and for parent power to drive up standards if they are not satisfied with the quality of education served up by that school.
[quote][p][bold]Ratters Rat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Storck[/bold] wrote: A lottery implies it is random when the school allocation system is the exact opposite, it has very well laid down rules and procedures that are followed to get to the end result. It might not be the end result a lot of parents want but it is certainly not a lottery.[/p][/quote]That is exactly what it has become. Parents want the best education for their children and rightly so. Parents are more aware of standards in the schools Ofsted ratings as schools have to be transparent. If your child is put in a poor performing school you have NO right of appeal as the Education service will say your child has a school place. We have parents having to drive/ bus children across the city. A few years ago a parent in Clayton wanted to send their children to the local school. The school offered everything the parent needed breakfast club/ after school club as the parents worked . They got allocated a school in Lidget Green as the school was over subscribed it provided non of the clubs required by the parents. Go to a child minder good idea only the child minder had to take other children to the local school so wasn't able to take these children. Its OK building all these new houses but the schools can't cope with the influx of children. Many parents find out if they move that they can't move children's schools and are kriss krossing the city. Secondary school's can be a bigger nightmare. One secondary school has an intake from 80 Primary schools across the city. Another example is children in Holmewood having to travel to Wyke. Local secondary school no it doesn't even have a direct bus route . The reason why its in the south of Bradford and so is Holmewood. They keep moving the goal posts and changing the system that's why you can say its a lottery.[/p][/quote]As you say, all parents want the best education for their children but there are inevitably some better schools than others. So if all parents put the "best" school as their first choice how do you suggest the authority allocates the places? This is a national problem not peculiar to Bradford. As has been reported previously some parents still only put one choice school down despite being repeatedly told to include at least three. The only real solution is to make it compulsory to send children to their nearest school and for parent power to drive up standards if they are not satisfied with the quality of education served up by that school. allinittogether
  • Score: 5

6:00pm Wed 30 Apr 14

RollandSmoke says...

Why not save some more money and not bother educating the kids at all? After all there is **** all for them after they leave school that requires them to need one. The pedophile politicians have abused your kids. I have a very intelligent 18 year old Daughter who is currently extremely depressed because of the lack of opportunity available to her. If you are a politician stay the **** out of my way as I just may rip your corrupt little heads off for the way you've screwed this country and are ****ing up the life chances of our kids. Some are turning to drink and drugs at age 12 due to the miserable lives that politicians have thrust upon them. **** having a general election next year. They are all corrupt barstuards who **** in the same pot. We need a revolution and we owe it to our kids that we get one.
Why not save some more money and not bother educating the kids at all? After all there is **** all for them after they leave school that requires them to need one. The pedophile politicians have abused your kids. I have a very intelligent 18 year old Daughter who is currently extremely depressed because of the lack of opportunity available to her. If you are a politician stay the **** out of my way as I just may rip your corrupt little heads off for the way you've screwed this country and are ****ing up the life chances of our kids. Some are turning to drink and drugs at age 12 due to the miserable lives that politicians have thrust upon them. **** having a general election next year. They are all corrupt barstuards who **** in the same pot. We need a revolution and we owe it to our kids that we get one. RollandSmoke
  • Score: -2

7:25pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ratters Rat says...

I think you need to get out more . I also have a highly intelligent 18 year old daughter. She is studying for A levels . She may not have a job but puts a lot of effect into her hobbies. And will represent Bradford in a competition in July along with her friends. She dedicates spare time to helping young people in their hobbies and inspire them to achieve.
Her hard work and dedication is inspirational. Like many of her friends she is aware opportunities are not going to knock on the door you have to go out into the world and grab them.
My younger daughter inspired by her sister and others is out training 5 days week they don't sit and moan life
They are not interested in drugs drink they are aware to achieve that you work hard.
The reason they are like this is because we as parents have invested in their future back and support them.
Perhaps if you encouraged and invested in your daughter she wouldn't be depressed not everything cost a fortune.Since you have a computer maybe encourage a hobby knitting / crotcher lessons are free wool needles come in under 5 pounds cheaper than a packet of cigarette's.
One proud mum of 2 wonderful daughters.
I think you need to get out more . I also have a highly intelligent 18 year old daughter. She is studying for A levels . She may not have a job but puts a lot of effect into her hobbies. And will represent Bradford in a competition in July along with her friends. She dedicates spare time to helping young people in their hobbies and inspire them to achieve. Her hard work and dedication is inspirational. Like many of her friends she is aware opportunities are not going to knock on the door you have to go out into the world and grab them. My younger daughter inspired by her sister and others is out training 5 days week they don't sit and moan life They are not interested in drugs drink they are aware to achieve that you work hard. The reason they are like this is because we as parents have invested in their future back and support them. Perhaps if you encouraged and invested in your daughter she wouldn't be depressed not everything cost a fortune.Since you have a computer maybe encourage a hobby knitting / crotcher lessons are free wool needles come in under 5 pounds cheaper than a packet of cigarette's. One proud mum of 2 wonderful daughters. Ratters Rat
  • Score: -1

8:03pm Wed 30 Apr 14

RollandSmoke says...

Ratters Rat wrote:
I think you need to get out more . I also have a highly intelligent 18 year old daughter. She is studying for A levels . She may not have a job but puts a lot of effect into her hobbies. And will represent Bradford in a competition in July along with her friends. She dedicates spare time to helping young people in their hobbies and inspire them to achieve.
Her hard work and dedication is inspirational. Like many of her friends she is aware opportunities are not going to knock on the door you have to go out into the world and grab them.
My younger daughter inspired by her sister and others is out training 5 days week they don't sit and moan life
They are not interested in drugs drink they are aware to achieve that you work hard.
The reason they are like this is because we as parents have invested in their future back and support them.
Perhaps if you encouraged and invested in your daughter she wouldn't be depressed not everything cost a fortune.Since you have a computer maybe encourage a hobby knitting / crotcher lessons are free wool needles come in under 5 pounds cheaper than a packet of cigarette's.
One proud mum of 2 wonderful daughters.
**** off you patronising ****.
[quote][p][bold]Ratters Rat[/bold] wrote: I think you need to get out more . I also have a highly intelligent 18 year old daughter. She is studying for A levels . She may not have a job but puts a lot of effect into her hobbies. And will represent Bradford in a competition in July along with her friends. She dedicates spare time to helping young people in their hobbies and inspire them to achieve. Her hard work and dedication is inspirational. Like many of her friends she is aware opportunities are not going to knock on the door you have to go out into the world and grab them. My younger daughter inspired by her sister and others is out training 5 days week they don't sit and moan life They are not interested in drugs drink they are aware to achieve that you work hard. The reason they are like this is because we as parents have invested in their future back and support them. Perhaps if you encouraged and invested in your daughter she wouldn't be depressed not everything cost a fortune.Since you have a computer maybe encourage a hobby knitting / crotcher lessons are free wool needles come in under 5 pounds cheaper than a packet of cigarette's. One proud mum of 2 wonderful daughters.[/p][/quote]**** off you patronising ****. RollandSmoke
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree