Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Three Police officers in hospital after Barkerend blaze drama
Three police were taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after rescuing a man from a flat in Barkerend early this morning.
Fire crews from Bradford were called to a fire at flats on Ayton Close at 2.55am. On arrival they found that an electrical meter on the outside of the flats had caught fire.
Police had been in the area for an unrelated domestic incident, and were first on the scene. Smoke had spread from the meter to two flats - a ground floor and first floor flat. The ground floor flat was unoccupied, but a man, thought to be in his 50s, was in the first floor one.
Police had helped the man escape, and all four were treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire is believed to have been caused by someone bypassing the meter, and police are investigating.
Watch commander Alan Holdsworth said: “There was quite a bit of smoke damage to the ground floor and first floor flat. This shows the dangers people put themselves and others in when they bypass electrical meters.”
Police have arrested a man and woman on suspicion of extracting electricity.