Keighley MP Kris Hopkins defends government's welfare reforms

MP Kris Hopkins

MP Kris Hopkins

First published in News

Keighley and Ilkley’s Tory MP says government welfare reforms are designed to free those trapped in a “cycle of dependency”, while making the whole system more affordable.

Housing minister Kris Hopkins said the government had inherited rules which enabled many to claim more in benefits than they would have earned in the workplace.

He emphasised that those in need of support should continue receiving it.

“Anyone over 25 and seeking work is entitled to receive £71.70 per week in jobseekers’ allowance - £6.25 per week more than when we came to power,” he said.

“Those under 25 can claim £56.80 per week - £4.90 more than in 2010. And child tax credit for the poorest families has increased by £420.”

He argued that it was vital for the welfare system to help people get back into work.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:47pm Sun 2 Mar 14

RollandSmoke says...

“Anyone over 25 and seeking work is entitled to receive £71.70 per week in jobseekers’ allowance - £6.25 per week more than when we came to power,” he said.

“Those under 25 can claim £56.80 per week - £4.90 more than in 2010."

Out of which they now need to find 25% of their council tax and if they have been allocated more rooms than they need due to the lack of single bedroomed housing stock they will need to find another £12 odd to pay for that.
Taking that into account would Kris like to revise his figures as to how much better off job seekers really are?
If as you say Kris "“Anyone over 25 and seeking work is ENTITLED to receive £71.70 per week" How does that square with the sanctions that are being handed out denying them of their ENTITLEMENT? I would finish with a link to a story about someone starving to death whilst on sanctions but I'm not sure whether to go for the Shipley man Paul, 51 for whom this was the case or the more recent case of 44-year-old Mark Wood, from Bampton. Sod it I'll do both.
http://www.mirror.co
.uk/news/uk-news/glo
ating-tories-dont-ca
re-people-3022783

http://www.oxfordmai
l.co.uk/news/1104337
8.Man_starved_after_
benefits_were_cut/
What's that you say Kris? The Tories were only trying to force them into work despite their obvious psychological problems so they wouldn't be reliant on benefits? If only that were true as we know that the vast majority of benefit claimants are in work. This however will not stop them loosing their housing benefit unless they continue to jump through the hoops and find more work.
http://www.insidehou
sing.co.uk/dwp-housi
ng-benefit-will-be-s
anctioned/7002330.ar
ticle
Unlike the blood on the hands of the Woolwich killer which was added post production the blood on the hands of the Tories is very real.
“Anyone over 25 and seeking work is entitled to receive £71.70 per week in jobseekers’ allowance - £6.25 per week more than when we came to power,” he said. “Those under 25 can claim £56.80 per week - £4.90 more than in 2010." Out of which they now need to find 25% of their council tax and if they have been allocated more rooms than they need due to the lack of single bedroomed housing stock they will need to find another £12 odd to pay for that. Taking that into account would Kris like to revise his figures as to how much better off job seekers really are? If as you say Kris "“Anyone over 25 and seeking work is ENTITLED to receive £71.70 per week" How does that square with the sanctions that are being handed out denying them of their ENTITLEMENT? I would finish with a link to a story about someone starving to death whilst on sanctions but I'm not sure whether to go for the Shipley man Paul, 51 for whom this was the case or the more recent case of 44-year-old Mark Wood, from Bampton. Sod it I'll do both. http://www.mirror.co .uk/news/uk-news/glo ating-tories-dont-ca re-people-3022783 http://www.oxfordmai l.co.uk/news/1104337 8.Man_starved_after_ benefits_were_cut/ What's that you say Kris? The Tories were only trying to force them into work despite their obvious psychological problems so they wouldn't be reliant on benefits? If only that were true as we know that the vast majority of benefit claimants are in work. This however will not stop them loosing their housing benefit unless they continue to jump through the hoops and find more work. http://www.insidehou sing.co.uk/dwp-housi ng-benefit-will-be-s anctioned/7002330.ar ticle Unlike the blood on the hands of the Woolwich killer which was added post production the blood on the hands of the Tories is very real. RollandSmoke
  • Score: 8

6:10pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Tecnotronic says...

Super post by Roland.Says it all.I am retired but wholeheartedly agree with you Roland.
Super post by Roland.Says it all.I am retired but wholeheartedly agree with you Roland. Tecnotronic
  • Score: 2

7:09pm Sun 2 Mar 14

RollandSmoke says...

Tecnotronic wrote:
Super post by Roland.Says it all.I am retired but wholeheartedly agree with you Roland.
Thank you. It seems obvious that between the bedroom tax and the threatened sanctions on housing benefit we are likely to see more people becoming homeless, but at least there are charitable organisations ensuring they get fed. Well for now at least as the Tory run Westminster council now want's to make it an offense for anyone to give out food for free. Is this a pilot scheme Kris Hopkins? If successful will it be rolled out across the country?
http://www.mirror.co
.uk/news/uk-news/fee
ding-homeless-to-be-
banned-by-tory-run-w
estminster-113433#.U
xMVMtzHPOE.facebook
[quote][p][bold]Tecnotronic[/bold] wrote: Super post by Roland.Says it all.I am retired but wholeheartedly agree with you Roland.[/p][/quote]Thank you. It seems obvious that between the bedroom tax and the threatened sanctions on housing benefit we are likely to see more people becoming homeless, but at least there are charitable organisations ensuring they get fed. Well for now at least as the Tory run Westminster council now want's to make it an offense for anyone to give out food for free. Is this a pilot scheme Kris Hopkins? If successful will it be rolled out across the country? http://www.mirror.co .uk/news/uk-news/fee ding-homeless-to-be- banned-by-tory-run-w estminster-113433#.U xMVMtzHPOE.facebook RollandSmoke
  • Score: 3

9:54pm Sun 2 Mar 14

gracie field says...

Next we will have the Tory stooges on here telling us the disabled will still be supported. We all know that is another Tory lie don't we. Disabled are still charged bedroom tax. The disabled now are paying their council tax. The disabled are now too poor to get out to work because their disability money that helped get them to work is now used for bedroomtax , council tax and food which in their reign has gone up 30%.
The only disabled who are supported are the cleverest ones sharp enough and strong enough to know their rights. The rest go hungry or die just as the honest Roly says. He will get red arrowed we know by Tory trolls Andy and co but we all know who they support don't we?

Pigs in troughs and born liars every single bloody one on them. The fat obviously greedy creep Davis who is our Baildon MP and his new women tart face Mcevoy and crater face above (he can afford his photographer to edit his pictures we note) don't go hungry do they? They don't know what is going on under their noses because either they are thick as pig muck or they do know people are starving and are doing it intentionally.

You evil scum have all got not only their noses in the troughs but blood of starving and dying vulnerable and disabled people on their hands.

They know we are right but all they will come up with in answer is some rubbish and twisted lies blaming Labour. They can't write or say a sentance without repeating their boring mantra "it labours fault".

They forget Labour haven't been running the show for years so what have they done to help these disabled and vulnerable people who are going without because of these policies?

We know they will say these lazy people should get a job and stop scrounging even though we all know most benefits are being paid to people in full time work so they aren't scroungers or lazy at all. Most of the rest are disable who are NOT supported at all. Its lies. The tory scum tell lies. So many disabled are having their disability living allowance striped due to Atos are their disability denial factories!

I wonder if a certain Tory pleb is still enjoying the donations from the bookmakers? The very places the poorest go to try make their last pennies double so they can try to feed their families? Bleeding the poorest dry twice if you like.

Welfare reform is nothing but a underhand and sly money grab off of the poorest and most vulnerable done in such a way that the general public don't blame them. They spout the amount the pay them forgetting to mention what has to be paid out of it.
They are just the way Hitler was when he put out his propaganda programs programming everyone to hate the disabled and the ones who drain the system a little bit more. Anyone who can't see what they are doing to our disabled and vulnerable don't deserve the right to vote!

The lot of the Tory scum especially them names above and especially Iain Duncan Smith are an embarrassment to their mothers names. Their mothers should be hanging their heads in shame for spawning such greedy self-centred evil pieces of dirt.

I await Andy (my @rse is that his name) to come on and tell us all we should have ambition and if we don't then being poor is our own fault. It matters not to him that people are missing lags and arms or are brain damaged due to having strokes and seizures so are unable to get out there to earn a living.
Not that they will let that stop them because truth be know they really don't give two hoots about the people going hungry or dying penniless.
You Tories will be gone next year and lets hope who ever gets in starts to take care of the disabled or vulnerable other wise our people are going to be out on those streets and the water cannons won't do a blind thing to stop the riots. What these scum don't realise is when you have nothing left to lose it makes one a very dangerous volatile being.
Maybe if they remain in their seats an English revolution will happen. Every one of us know someone who is disabled or redundant and we won't stand by and watch you Tory scum murder them any longer.
Next we will have the Tory stooges on here telling us the disabled will still be supported. We all know that is another Tory lie don't we. Disabled are still charged bedroom tax. The disabled now are paying their council tax. The disabled are now too poor to get out to work because their disability money that helped get them to work is now used for bedroomtax , council tax and food which in their reign has gone up 30%. The only disabled who are supported are the cleverest ones sharp enough and strong enough to know their rights. The rest go hungry or die just as the honest Roly says. He will get red arrowed we know by Tory trolls Andy and co but we all know who they support don't we? Pigs in troughs and born liars every single bloody one on them. The fat obviously greedy creep Davis who is our Baildon MP and his new women tart face Mcevoy and crater face above (he can afford his photographer to edit his pictures we note) don't go hungry do they? They don't know what is going on under their noses because either they are thick as pig muck or they do know people are starving and are doing it intentionally. You evil scum have all got not only their noses in the troughs but blood of starving and dying vulnerable and disabled people on their hands. They know we are right but all they will come up with in answer is some rubbish and twisted lies blaming Labour. They can't write or say a sentance without repeating their boring mantra "it labours fault". They forget Labour haven't been running the show for years so what have they done to help these disabled and vulnerable people who are going without because of these policies? We know they will say these lazy people should get a job and stop scrounging even though we all know most benefits are being paid to people in full time work so they aren't scroungers or lazy at all. Most of the rest are disable who are NOT supported at all. Its lies. The tory scum tell lies. So many disabled are having their disability living allowance striped due to Atos are their disability denial factories! I wonder if a certain Tory pleb is still enjoying the donations from the bookmakers? The very places the poorest go to try make their last pennies double so they can try to feed their families? Bleeding the poorest dry twice if you like. Welfare reform is nothing but a underhand and sly money grab off of the poorest and most vulnerable done in such a way that the general public don't blame them. They spout the amount the pay them forgetting to mention what has to be paid out of it. They are just the way Hitler was when he put out his propaganda programs programming everyone to hate the disabled and the ones who drain the system a little bit more. Anyone who can't see what they are doing to our disabled and vulnerable don't deserve the right to vote! The lot of the Tory scum especially them names above and especially Iain Duncan Smith are an embarrassment to their mothers names. Their mothers should be hanging their heads in shame for spawning such greedy self-centred evil pieces of dirt. I await Andy (my @rse is that his name) to come on and tell us all we should have ambition and if we don't then being poor is our own fault. It matters not to him that people are missing lags and arms or are brain damaged due to having strokes and seizures so are unable to get out there to earn a living. Not that they will let that stop them because truth be know they really don't give two hoots about the people going hungry or dying penniless. You Tories will be gone next year and lets hope who ever gets in starts to take care of the disabled or vulnerable other wise our people are going to be out on those streets and the water cannons won't do a blind thing to stop the riots. What these scum don't realise is when you have nothing left to lose it makes one a very dangerous volatile being. Maybe if they remain in their seats an English revolution will happen. Every one of us know someone who is disabled or redundant and we won't stand by and watch you Tory scum murder them any longer. gracie field
  • Score: 3

9:59pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Mr Perks says...

The rich are rewarded with tax cuts whilst the sick and disabled are forced into debt through the introduction of the iniquitous 'bedroom tax' and the unemployed are forced to rely on food banks to eat! How is this 'breaking the cycle of dependency' Mr Hopkins? There's no wonder ID Smith has to be escorted by armed bodyguards. The sooner this wicked government is consigned to the dustbin of history, including Hopkins, the fairer this country will be. This whole strivers v shirkers narrative is a myth, supported by the right wing press in order to focus the attention away from the decimation of education, the NHS and every other public service this country has proudly built over generations. Theses fools want to sell the lot to their 'profit driven' friends and force the rest of us, without the privilege or the money needed to 'go private', back to some Victorian, dog eat dog, hell. I thought Thatcher was a nasty piece of work, Blair was an outright liar, but this lot are the personification of pure EVIL!
The rich are rewarded with tax cuts whilst the sick and disabled are forced into debt through the introduction of the iniquitous 'bedroom tax' and the unemployed are forced to rely on food banks to eat! How is this 'breaking the cycle of dependency' Mr Hopkins? There's no wonder ID Smith has to be escorted by armed bodyguards. The sooner this wicked government is consigned to the dustbin of history, including Hopkins, the fairer this country will be. This whole strivers v shirkers narrative is a myth, supported by the right wing press in order to focus the attention away from the decimation of education, the NHS and every other public service this country has proudly built over generations. Theses fools want to sell the lot to their 'profit driven' friends and force the rest of us, without the privilege or the money needed to 'go private', back to some Victorian, dog eat dog, hell. I thought Thatcher was a nasty piece of work, Blair was an outright liar, but this lot are the personification of pure EVIL! Mr Perks
  • Score: 1

10:16pm Sun 2 Mar 14

alive and awake says...

Mr Perks wrote:
The rich are rewarded with tax cuts whilst the sick and disabled are forced into debt through the introduction of the iniquitous 'bedroom tax' and the unemployed are forced to rely on food banks to eat! How is this 'breaking the cycle of dependency' Mr Hopkins? There's no wonder ID Smith has to be escorted by armed bodyguards. The sooner this wicked government is consigned to the dustbin of history, including Hopkins, the fairer this country will be. This whole strivers v shirkers narrative is a myth, supported by the right wing press in order to focus the attention away from the decimation of education, the NHS and every other public service this country has proudly built over generations. Theses fools want to sell the lot to their 'profit driven' friends and force the rest of us, without the privilege or the money needed to 'go private', back to some Victorian, dog eat dog, hell. I thought Thatcher was a nasty piece of work, Blair was an outright liar, but this lot are the personification of pure EVIL!
The rich are not rewarded with tax cuts, everyone is rewarded with tax cuts.
For the life in me, I cannot understand why some people who get something given are not grateful, and complain that they think they should have more given. I wonder what sort of upbringing these people have had.
Why is anybody entitled to something for nothing? the fact that we recognise that without hand outs some people just could not survive, and because we are civilised hand outs are provided for these people, but I do think they have a cheek complaining that it is not enough. How many other Countries provide the amount UK does? does Russia? did it ever?
[quote][p][bold]Mr Perks[/bold] wrote: The rich are rewarded with tax cuts whilst the sick and disabled are forced into debt through the introduction of the iniquitous 'bedroom tax' and the unemployed are forced to rely on food banks to eat! How is this 'breaking the cycle of dependency' Mr Hopkins? There's no wonder ID Smith has to be escorted by armed bodyguards. The sooner this wicked government is consigned to the dustbin of history, including Hopkins, the fairer this country will be. This whole strivers v shirkers narrative is a myth, supported by the right wing press in order to focus the attention away from the decimation of education, the NHS and every other public service this country has proudly built over generations. Theses fools want to sell the lot to their 'profit driven' friends and force the rest of us, without the privilege or the money needed to 'go private', back to some Victorian, dog eat dog, hell. I thought Thatcher was a nasty piece of work, Blair was an outright liar, but this lot are the personification of pure EVIL![/p][/quote]The rich are not rewarded with tax cuts, everyone is rewarded with tax cuts. For the life in me, I cannot understand why some people who get something given are not grateful, and complain that they think they should have more given. I wonder what sort of upbringing these people have had. Why is anybody entitled to something for nothing? the fact that we recognise that without hand outs some people just could not survive, and because we are civilised hand outs are provided for these people, but I do think they have a cheek complaining that it is not enough. How many other Countries provide the amount UK does? does Russia? did it ever? alive and awake
  • Score: -5

7:04am Mon 3 Mar 14

allannicho says...

My late Grandmother was Widowed in the Great War
and left with 4 children to bring up, no Benefits in those days.
People do not know they are born today being rewarded for
each offspring they produce, Madness!
My late Grandmother was Widowed in the Great War and left with 4 children to bring up, no Benefits in those days. People do not know they are born today being rewarded for each offspring they produce, Madness! allannicho
  • Score: 0

7:41pm Mon 3 Mar 14

Mr Perks says...

alive and awake wrote:
Mr Perks wrote:
The rich are rewarded with tax cuts whilst the sick and disabled are forced into debt through the introduction of the iniquitous 'bedroom tax' and the unemployed are forced to rely on food banks to eat! How is this 'breaking the cycle of dependency' Mr Hopkins? There's no wonder ID Smith has to be escorted by armed bodyguards. The sooner this wicked government is consigned to the dustbin of history, including Hopkins, the fairer this country will be. This whole strivers v shirkers narrative is a myth, supported by the right wing press in order to focus the attention away from the decimation of education, the NHS and every other public service this country has proudly built over generations. Theses fools want to sell the lot to their 'profit driven' friends and force the rest of us, without the privilege or the money needed to 'go private', back to some Victorian, dog eat dog, hell. I thought Thatcher was a nasty piece of work, Blair was an outright liar, but this lot are the personification of pure EVIL!
The rich are not rewarded with tax cuts, everyone is rewarded with tax cuts.
For the life in me, I cannot understand why some people who get something given are not grateful, and complain that they think they should have more given. I wonder what sort of upbringing these people have had.
Why is anybody entitled to something for nothing? the fact that we recognise that without hand outs some people just could not survive, and because we are civilised hand outs are provided for these people, but I do think they have a cheek complaining that it is not enough. How many other Countries provide the amount UK does? does Russia? did it ever?
They should be provided with enough to live with dignity. Not have to visit food banks because they can't afford to eat, or face debt because they need an extra bedroom if they are disabled. Millionaires HAVE received tax cuts that others have not received. Those who are making the rules in this govt come from a privileged elite that doesn't know what it's like to be hungry or wait for months in pain on an ever lengthening NHS waiting list. I'm proud that this country looks after people and I'd hate to see it turning into something like the USA. The gap between the haves and the have nots is far too wide already!
[quote][p][bold]alive and awake[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Perks[/bold] wrote: The rich are rewarded with tax cuts whilst the sick and disabled are forced into debt through the introduction of the iniquitous 'bedroom tax' and the unemployed are forced to rely on food banks to eat! How is this 'breaking the cycle of dependency' Mr Hopkins? There's no wonder ID Smith has to be escorted by armed bodyguards. The sooner this wicked government is consigned to the dustbin of history, including Hopkins, the fairer this country will be. This whole strivers v shirkers narrative is a myth, supported by the right wing press in order to focus the attention away from the decimation of education, the NHS and every other public service this country has proudly built over generations. Theses fools want to sell the lot to their 'profit driven' friends and force the rest of us, without the privilege or the money needed to 'go private', back to some Victorian, dog eat dog, hell. I thought Thatcher was a nasty piece of work, Blair was an outright liar, but this lot are the personification of pure EVIL![/p][/quote]The rich are not rewarded with tax cuts, everyone is rewarded with tax cuts. For the life in me, I cannot understand why some people who get something given are not grateful, and complain that they think they should have more given. I wonder what sort of upbringing these people have had. Why is anybody entitled to something for nothing? the fact that we recognise that without hand outs some people just could not survive, and because we are civilised hand outs are provided for these people, but I do think they have a cheek complaining that it is not enough. How many other Countries provide the amount UK does? does Russia? did it ever?[/p][/quote]They should be provided with enough to live with dignity. Not have to visit food banks because they can't afford to eat, or face debt because they need an extra bedroom if they are disabled. Millionaires HAVE received tax cuts that others have not received. Those who are making the rules in this govt come from a privileged elite that doesn't know what it's like to be hungry or wait for months in pain on an ever lengthening NHS waiting list. I'm proud that this country looks after people and I'd hate to see it turning into something like the USA. The gap between the haves and the have nots is far too wide already! Mr Perks
  • Score: 0

9:33pm Mon 3 Mar 14

G_Firth says...

He needs to spend a week working in a food bank, wonder how quick he'd change his mind then
He needs to spend a week working in a food bank, wonder how quick he'd change his mind then G_Firth
  • Score: 1

8:48am Tue 4 Mar 14

Katiery says...

alive and awake wrote:
Mr Perks wrote:
The rich are rewarded with tax cuts whilst the sick and disabled are forced into debt through the introduction of the iniquitous 'bedroom tax' and the unemployed are forced to rely on food banks to eat! How is this 'breaking the cycle of dependency' Mr Hopkins? There's no wonder ID Smith has to be escorted by armed bodyguards. The sooner this wicked government is consigned to the dustbin of history, including Hopkins, the fairer this country will be. This whole strivers v shirkers narrative is a myth, supported by the right wing press in order to focus the attention away from the decimation of education, the NHS and every other public service this country has proudly built over generations. Theses fools want to sell the lot to their 'profit driven' friends and force the rest of us, without the privilege or the money needed to 'go private', back to some Victorian, dog eat dog, hell. I thought Thatcher was a nasty piece of work, Blair was an outright liar, but this lot are the personification of pure EVIL!
The rich are not rewarded with tax cuts, everyone is rewarded with tax cuts.
For the life in me, I cannot understand why some people who get something given are not grateful, and complain that they think they should have more given. I wonder what sort of upbringing these people have had.
Why is anybody entitled to something for nothing? the fact that we recognise that without hand outs some people just could not survive, and because we are civilised hand outs are provided for these people, but I do think they have a cheek complaining that it is not enough. How many other Countries provide the amount UK does? does Russia? did it ever?
Get something given? Something for nothing? How many of those who 'get something given' have worked for years and paid taxes and NI? Tax cuts are not a reward. Benefits are not a 'hand out', they are a vital necessity for those who cannot find work or who are disabled. They are the roots of a decent society.

In Portugal, unemployment benefit is two thirds of the final wage earned before becoming unemployed, not less than the amount deemed necessary to live.

The Tory Government have ensured that all of the problems caused by banks and their dodgy dealings have been blamed on those who were hardest hit. Suddenly every benefits claimant is a 'scrounger'.

We are not Russian, we are British.
[quote][p][bold]alive and awake[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Perks[/bold] wrote: The rich are rewarded with tax cuts whilst the sick and disabled are forced into debt through the introduction of the iniquitous 'bedroom tax' and the unemployed are forced to rely on food banks to eat! How is this 'breaking the cycle of dependency' Mr Hopkins? There's no wonder ID Smith has to be escorted by armed bodyguards. The sooner this wicked government is consigned to the dustbin of history, including Hopkins, the fairer this country will be. This whole strivers v shirkers narrative is a myth, supported by the right wing press in order to focus the attention away from the decimation of education, the NHS and every other public service this country has proudly built over generations. Theses fools want to sell the lot to their 'profit driven' friends and force the rest of us, without the privilege or the money needed to 'go private', back to some Victorian, dog eat dog, hell. I thought Thatcher was a nasty piece of work, Blair was an outright liar, but this lot are the personification of pure EVIL![/p][/quote]The rich are not rewarded with tax cuts, everyone is rewarded with tax cuts. For the life in me, I cannot understand why some people who get something given are not grateful, and complain that they think they should have more given. I wonder what sort of upbringing these people have had. Why is anybody entitled to something for nothing? the fact that we recognise that without hand outs some people just could not survive, and because we are civilised hand outs are provided for these people, but I do think they have a cheek complaining that it is not enough. How many other Countries provide the amount UK does? does Russia? did it ever?[/p][/quote]Get something given? Something for nothing? How many of those who 'get something given' have worked for years and paid taxes and NI? Tax cuts are not a reward. Benefits are not a 'hand out', they are a vital necessity for those who cannot find work or who are disabled. They are the roots of a decent society. In Portugal, unemployment benefit is two thirds of the final wage earned before becoming unemployed, not less than the amount deemed necessary to live. The Tory Government have ensured that all of the problems caused by banks and their dodgy dealings have been blamed on those who were hardest hit. Suddenly every benefits claimant is a 'scrounger'. We are not Russian, we are British. Katiery
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree