Lidget Green pensioner died after dressing gown caught fire

An inquest has been held into Mr Mistry's death

An inquest has been held into Mr Mistry's death

First published in News

An 83-year-old man died after his dressing gown caught ablaze as he stood in front of a gas fire at his home, an inquest heard.

Gopalji Mistry, who lived in Beckside Road, Lidget Green, Bradford, was alone in the room when the incident happened on December 10 last year.

But his wife came in and doused the flames and called the emergency services.

Mr Mistry was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where he was found to have suffered 80 per cent burns. He died the following day.

The inquest heard Mr Mistry had suffered a stroke which affected his mobility. He also suffered from asthma.

Assistant Bradford Coroner Dr Dominic Bell yesterday recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree