People risking early death as survey shows district among least active in country

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: District is among the least active in the country District is among the least active in the country

Bradford has been branded as being one of the worst places in the country for couch potatoes – and that could be triggering premature deaths.

A new report lists the district as fourth worst in terms of inactivity with nearly 38 per cent of people not taking enough exercise.

There is a ‘pandemic’ of inactivity in poor parts of England, according to the study by health group Ukactive which is backed by former world and Olympic champion athlete Lord Sebastian Coe.

These places have an average 342 early deaths per 100,000 people compared to 242 premature deaths in areas where people exercise more.

The district is listed as having an inactivity rate of 37.68 per cent – with only Salford, Sandwell and Manchester faring worst.

And last night a senior Bradford councillor admitted: “Bradford has issues with life expectancy levels.”

Councillor Andrew Thornton, Bradford Council's executive member for environment and sport, said: “There is evidence of differing mortality rates with very strong links to poverty and deprivation, along with issues around life expectancy.

“Public health and inactivity is something we are constantly aware of. We want to ensure people keep active and to address disparities with other parts of the UK.”

Last year, councils took over responsibility for promoting exercise from the NHS and have since spent two per cent of public health budgets on boosting activity. The report says five per cent of local authorities have not allocated any cash to such programmes for 2013/14.

Coun Thornton said in the past year Bradford had spent more than three per cent of its health budget on promoting exercise, with some two million visits to Council-run sports centres and swimming pools.

“We are aware that adult inactivity is a big issue across Bradford,” he said.

“Also, we know there is a strong link between poverty and inactivity and Bradford has some of the most deprived parts of the country.

“Through public health and leisure centres and working with community groups we consistently put out a message encouraging people to be more active. And I think the message is getting through.

“Our Club Active is the biggest health and fitness provider in the district with more than 5,000 gym members. We have healthy weight programmes with sessions for those who have conditions which make activity more difficult.

“In addition, we encourage people to join in with everything from organised walks to maintaining an allotment and support mass participation events such as Skyride which promotes leisure cycling and has gone from strength-to-strength.

“There are positives in Bradford and plenty of options out there for people.”

Researchers found that the most inactive local authorities have, on average, a third fewer leisure facilities than more active areas.

Ciaran Devane, chief executive of Macmillan Cancer Support, said: “This report exposes the stark reality of physical inactivity in England and the detrimental effect it is having on our health.

Lord Coe, chairman of the British Olympic Association, said: “Physical inactivity accounts for nearly one fifth of premature deaths in the UK. With predictions that inactivity levels will soar by 15 per cent by 2030, there is no doubt this needs urgent attention.”

  • The five councils with the most inactive people:

Manchester 40.24%
Sandwell 39.13%
Salford 39.07%
Bradford 37.68%
Dudley 37.67%

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:20am Sat 1 Feb 14

Albion. says...

It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.
It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford. Albion.
  • Score: 15

6:38am Sat 1 Feb 14

RollandSmoke says...

Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?
Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly? RollandSmoke
  • Score: -6

8:00am Sat 1 Feb 14

linebacker2 says...

Albion. wrote:
It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.
Do you go out much?
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.[/p][/quote]Do you go out much? linebacker2
  • Score: -5

8:08am Sat 1 Feb 14

alive and awake says...

I agree Bradford is not a nice or safe place to go out in.
On the other hand, anyone that fat has paid a lot of VAT on junk food and if they die early, they will not be claiming benifits for long.
I agree Bradford is not a nice or safe place to go out in. On the other hand, anyone that fat has paid a lot of VAT on junk food and if they die early, they will not be claiming benifits for long. alive and awake
  • Score: 10

8:31am Sat 1 Feb 14

SinnerSaint says...

RollandSmoke wrote:
Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?
Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.
[quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?[/p][/quote]Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite. SinnerSaint
  • Score: 9

8:46am Sat 1 Feb 14

RollandSmoke says...

SinnerSaint wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?
Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.
There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.
[quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?[/p][/quote]Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.[/p][/quote]There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority. RollandSmoke
  • Score: -3

8:59am Sat 1 Feb 14

thatsnotmyname says...

Albion. wrote:
It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.
What a load of tosh. Bradford has some of the best parks and local countryside in the UK. If you got of your own arse and went out you'd see lots of people enjoying themselves. This is all down to attitude.
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.[/p][/quote]What a load of tosh. Bradford has some of the best parks and local countryside in the UK. If you got of your own arse and went out you'd see lots of people enjoying themselves. This is all down to attitude. thatsnotmyname
  • Score: 4

9:17am Sat 1 Feb 14

SinnerSaint says...

RollandSmoke wrote:
SinnerSaint wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?
Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.
There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.
Mmmm because going for a walk or jog costs a fortune.

I was just amazed at the speed at which you judged the people in the photograph when apparently everybody is supposed to know you are poorly from the socialist anti-government rubbish you post and then pussyfoot around you accordingly in case they upset your fragile feelings.
[quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?[/p][/quote]Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.[/p][/quote]There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.[/p][/quote]Mmmm because going for a walk or jog costs a fortune. I was just amazed at the speed at which you judged the people in the photograph when apparently everybody is supposed to know you are poorly from the socialist anti-government rubbish you post and then pussyfoot around you accordingly in case they upset your fragile feelings. SinnerSaint
  • Score: 2

9:32am Sat 1 Feb 14

Banni2 says...

Once again the Telegraph has decided to lift us all out of the doldrums,giving us positive refreshing news about our city.
Give it a rest and start printing good news for once!

We know we are fat idle and lazy, we are also a poor city with a lack lustre council who insist on closing facilities and wasting money on pie in the sky ideas.

Being a third world city means people are under nourished and financially destitute, and I'm sure if we were rich like Leeds we could afford all the luxuries of gym membership.
Anyway I've got that out of my system so I'll go back to my miserable exsistence in surviving in this once great city.
Once again the Telegraph has decided to lift us all out of the doldrums,giving us positive refreshing news about our city. Give it a rest and start printing good news for once! We know we are fat idle and lazy, we are also a poor city with a lack lustre council who insist on closing facilities and wasting money on pie in the sky ideas. Being a third world city means people are under nourished and financially destitute, and I'm sure if we were rich like Leeds we could afford all the luxuries of gym membership. Anyway I've got that out of my system so I'll go back to my miserable exsistence in surviving in this once great city. Banni2
  • Score: 11

9:52am Sat 1 Feb 14

RollandSmoke says...

SinnerSaint wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
SinnerSaint wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?
Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.
There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.
Mmmm because going for a walk or jog costs a fortune.

I was just amazed at the speed at which you judged the people in the photograph when apparently everybody is supposed to know you are poorly from the socialist anti-government rubbish you post and then pussyfoot around you accordingly in case they upset your fragile feelings.
I wasn't judging anyone. I was asking If they consented for their picture to be used. I used the word lardy as that is what the picture is supposed to represent and if it wasn't it wouldn't be there. If you want to post your bile to deliberately cause offense please yourself. It's against the T&A's posting policy but it seems they are long past caring.
[quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?[/p][/quote]Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.[/p][/quote]There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.[/p][/quote]Mmmm because going for a walk or jog costs a fortune. I was just amazed at the speed at which you judged the people in the photograph when apparently everybody is supposed to know you are poorly from the socialist anti-government rubbish you post and then pussyfoot around you accordingly in case they upset your fragile feelings.[/p][/quote]I wasn't judging anyone. I was asking If they consented for their picture to be used. I used the word lardy as that is what the picture is supposed to represent and if it wasn't it wouldn't be there. If you want to post your bile to deliberately cause offense please yourself. It's against the T&A's posting policy but it seems they are long past caring. RollandSmoke
  • Score: -2

10:23am Sat 1 Feb 14

Ian H 1971 says...

The sheer deluge of take-away outlets in Bradford means there is demand for them, plus the prices are more than twice what a healthy nourishing meal would be to make yourself in minutes. So along with the amount of alcohol and cigarettes, and in some cases I would assume drug use.....many obese or fat people doing this are hardly in poverty, particularly when they have children to finance this lifestyle, e.g. "ooops we just had another child again". I've seen first hand what 'food' people buy in the supermarkets, and it is no wonder they are like they are; even openly boasting to me how little they care about their diet and lifestyle habits.
The sheer deluge of take-away outlets in Bradford means there is demand for them, plus the prices are more than twice what a healthy nourishing meal would be to make yourself in minutes. So along with the amount of alcohol and cigarettes, and in some cases I would assume drug use.....many obese or fat people doing this are hardly in poverty, particularly when they have children to finance this lifestyle, e.g. "ooops we just had another child again". I've seen first hand what 'food' people buy in the supermarkets, and it is no wonder they are like they are; even openly boasting to me how little they care about their diet and lifestyle habits. Ian H 1971
  • Score: 6

11:20am Sat 1 Feb 14

Albion. says...

linebacker2 wrote:
Albion. wrote:
It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.
Do you go out much?
I don't live in Bradford.
[quote][p][bold]linebacker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.[/p][/quote]Do you go out much?[/p][/quote]I don't live in Bradford. Albion.
  • Score: 2

11:34am Sat 1 Feb 14

Albion. says...

thatsnotmyname wrote:
Albion. wrote:
It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.
What a load of tosh. Bradford has some of the best parks and local countryside in the UK. If you got of your own arse and went out you'd see lots of people enjoying themselves. This is all down to attitude.
For a bloke of my age, I'm pretty fit. workout and walk in excess of thirty miles a week, I'm well aware of what facilities there are.
[quote][p][bold]thatsnotmyname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: It's quite understandable that people prefer not to go out in Bradford.[/p][/quote]What a load of tosh. Bradford has some of the best parks and local countryside in the UK. If you got of your own arse and went out you'd see lots of people enjoying themselves. This is all down to attitude.[/p][/quote]For a bloke of my age, I'm pretty fit. workout and walk in excess of thirty miles a week, I'm well aware of what facilities there are. Albion.
  • Score: 5

12:39pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Patrick Bateman says...

Yet ANOTHER poll in which Bradford comes out almost bottom. It would be interesting if statisticians and researchers did a metastudy of all these polls to see where Bradford rates in relation to the rest of the country. Now I'm no statistician but I wouldn't be too surprised if Bradford - taking into account all the available studies - ranked the absolute bottom in terms of quality of life (taking into account all the usual social indicators:health, wealth, eduction, employment,crime, social cohesion and so on).

Although as tourist/business development slogans go 'Bradford: Officially the worst place to live in the UK' might leave something to be desired...
Yet ANOTHER poll in which Bradford comes out almost bottom. It would be interesting if statisticians and researchers did a metastudy of all these polls to see where Bradford rates in relation to the rest of the country. Now I'm no statistician but I wouldn't be too surprised if Bradford - taking into account all the available studies - ranked the absolute bottom in terms of quality of life (taking into account all the usual social indicators:health, wealth, eduction, employment,crime, social cohesion and so on). Although as tourist/business development slogans go 'Bradford: Officially the worst place to live in the UK' might leave something to be desired... Patrick Bateman
  • Score: 7

1:17pm Sat 1 Feb 14

BierleyBoy says...

When you have the local authority trumpeting the city as the curry capital of Britain at every opportunity, is it any wonder health and obesity are such an issue?

The answer isn't to build leisure centres, it's to educate people into not eating rubbish in the first place.

A healthy diet combined with the most moderate of exercise, like a walk, is all that is needed to stay fit and well.

Leisure centres, like Richard Dunn, are a black hole financially. The council has no need to provide such services.

It's quite telling that all those areas ranked lowest are where Labour councils are in control.
When you have the local authority trumpeting the city as the curry capital of Britain at every opportunity, is it any wonder health and obesity are such an issue? The answer isn't to build leisure centres, it's to educate people into not eating rubbish in the first place. A healthy diet combined with the most moderate of exercise, like a walk, is all that is needed to stay fit and well. Leisure centres, like Richard Dunn, are a black hole financially. The council has no need to provide such services. It's quite telling that all those areas ranked lowest are where Labour councils are in control. BierleyBoy
  • Score: 5

3:04pm Sat 1 Feb 14

alive and awake says...

RollandSmoke wrote:
SinnerSaint wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
SinnerSaint wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?
Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.
There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.
Mmmm because going for a walk or jog costs a fortune.

I was just amazed at the speed at which you judged the people in the photograph when apparently everybody is supposed to know you are poorly from the socialist anti-government rubbish you post and then pussyfoot around you accordingly in case they upset your fragile feelings.
I wasn't judging anyone. I was asking If they consented for their picture to be used. I used the word lardy as that is what the picture is supposed to represent and if it wasn't it wouldn't be there. If you want to post your bile to deliberately cause offense please yourself. It's against the T&A's posting policy but it seems they are long past caring.
Don't take Rolland Smoke too seriously, from some of the deluded drivel he spouts I sometimes think he is on something. Maybe the clues in his name.
[quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?[/p][/quote]Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.[/p][/quote]There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.[/p][/quote]Mmmm because going for a walk or jog costs a fortune. I was just amazed at the speed at which you judged the people in the photograph when apparently everybody is supposed to know you are poorly from the socialist anti-government rubbish you post and then pussyfoot around you accordingly in case they upset your fragile feelings.[/p][/quote]I wasn't judging anyone. I was asking If they consented for their picture to be used. I used the word lardy as that is what the picture is supposed to represent and if it wasn't it wouldn't be there. If you want to post your bile to deliberately cause offense please yourself. It's against the T&A's posting policy but it seems they are long past caring.[/p][/quote]Don't take Rolland Smoke too seriously, from some of the deluded drivel he spouts I sometimes think he is on something. Maybe the clues in his name. alive and awake
  • Score: -1

4:53pm Sat 1 Feb 14

philosospher says...

Would love to see a breakdown of these figures by age, sex, district and ethnic background ... basically it's down to attitude, education, and opportunity, and there can be so many different factors influencing the individuals concerned ... and it isn't necessarily a class issue .. I've met successfull, high-income types who are real porkers, and those on the breadline who are as thin as long-distance athletes.
Would love to see a breakdown of these figures by age, sex, district and ethnic background ... basically it's down to attitude, education, and opportunity, and there can be so many different factors influencing the individuals concerned ... and it isn't necessarily a class issue .. I've met successfull, high-income types who are real porkers, and those on the breadline who are as thin as long-distance athletes. philosospher
  • Score: 0

5:27pm Sat 1 Feb 14

RollandSmoke says...

alive and awake wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
SinnerSaint wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
SinnerSaint wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?
Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.
There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.
Mmmm because going for a walk or jog costs a fortune.

I was just amazed at the speed at which you judged the people in the photograph when apparently everybody is supposed to know you are poorly from the socialist anti-government rubbish you post and then pussyfoot around you accordingly in case they upset your fragile feelings.
I wasn't judging anyone. I was asking If they consented for their picture to be used. I used the word lardy as that is what the picture is supposed to represent and if it wasn't it wouldn't be there. If you want to post your bile to deliberately cause offense please yourself. It's against the T&A's posting policy but it seems they are long past caring.
Don't take Rolland Smoke too seriously, from some of the deluded drivel he spouts I sometimes think he is on something. Maybe the clues in his name.
I think judging by your posts you should be on something. Have a word with your doctor, I'm sure he'll agree, and he could refer you to a psychiatrist to get you the help you so desperately need. I would say don't suffer in silence but in your case I think it's best you try rather than embarrassing yourself further.
[quote][p][bold]alive and awake[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: Mmm could it be that this conveniently timed story is designed to illustrate the need for a "New £30m swimming pool and sports centre plan for Bradford's Odeon"? If people can't afford to go places and participate in activities then they tend not to. Out of interest did the lardies in the photograph give consent for that image being used or was it taken covertly?[/p][/quote]Maybe they are ill and unable to exercise or work. Tut tut Roly, such a hypocrite.[/p][/quote]There are not many illnesses that don't benefit from excersize. Food is also helpful as is living in a warm home. When juggling your finances the excersize will not be seen as a priority.[/p][/quote]Mmmm because going for a walk or jog costs a fortune. I was just amazed at the speed at which you judged the people in the photograph when apparently everybody is supposed to know you are poorly from the socialist anti-government rubbish you post and then pussyfoot around you accordingly in case they upset your fragile feelings.[/p][/quote]I wasn't judging anyone. I was asking If they consented for their picture to be used. I used the word lardy as that is what the picture is supposed to represent and if it wasn't it wouldn't be there. If you want to post your bile to deliberately cause offense please yourself. It's against the T&A's posting policy but it seems they are long past caring.[/p][/quote]Don't take Rolland Smoke too seriously, from some of the deluded drivel he spouts I sometimes think he is on something. Maybe the clues in his name.[/p][/quote]I think judging by your posts you should be on something. Have a word with your doctor, I'm sure he'll agree, and he could refer you to a psychiatrist to get you the help you so desperately need. I would say don't suffer in silence but in your case I think it's best you try rather than embarrassing yourself further. RollandSmoke
  • Score: 0

6:51pm Sat 1 Feb 14

wibseygirl says...

Come to Richard Dunn any morning and you will see a lot of pensioners keeping fit. A wonderful facility and the council are considering closing it. Yes, agreed, we do have good parks and countryside but I for one am nervous about walking on my own. And in weather like we are currently experiencing who wants to be out in it.
Come to Richard Dunn any morning and you will see a lot of pensioners keeping fit. A wonderful facility and the council are considering closing it. Yes, agreed, we do have good parks and countryside but I for one am nervous about walking on my own. And in weather like we are currently experiencing who wants to be out in it. wibseygirl
  • Score: 0

9:33pm Sat 1 Feb 14

watcher22 says...

wibseygirl wrote:
Come to Richard Dunn any morning and you will see a lot of pensioners keeping fit. A wonderful facility and the council are considering closing it. Yes, agreed, we do have good parks and countryside but I for one am nervous about walking on my own. And in weather like we are currently experiencing who wants to be out in it.
Wibseygirl, Surely you have a friend? Ask them to go out for a brisk walk with you two or three timesa a week perhaps, walk the long way round to a shop or such. Don't worry about the weather, it just looks bad as you gaze out of thw indow. Once you've walked a brisk 100 yards you'll soon feel warm and your face will tingle with warmth.
also i agree with other comments on here. Get the right food, not the fatty processed stuff. You don't get obese from fresh veg, spuds, fruit and a bit of meat twice a week and fish.
[quote][p][bold]wibseygirl[/bold] wrote: Come to Richard Dunn any morning and you will see a lot of pensioners keeping fit. A wonderful facility and the council are considering closing it. Yes, agreed, we do have good parks and countryside but I for one am nervous about walking on my own. And in weather like we are currently experiencing who wants to be out in it.[/p][/quote]Wibseygirl, Surely you have a friend? Ask them to go out for a brisk walk with you two or three timesa a week perhaps, walk the long way round to a shop or such. Don't worry about the weather, it just looks bad as you gaze out of thw indow. Once you've walked a brisk 100 yards you'll soon feel warm and your face will tingle with warmth. also i agree with other comments on here. Get the right food, not the fatty processed stuff. You don't get obese from fresh veg, spuds, fruit and a bit of meat twice a week and fish. watcher22
  • Score: 2

9:35pm Sat 1 Feb 14

watcher22 says...

Find a friend Wibseygirl, go for a few walks brisk and bright whatever the weather. It only looks bad as you gaze out of the window.
Find a friend Wibseygirl, go for a few walks brisk and bright whatever the weather. It only looks bad as you gaze out of the window. watcher22
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree