Trainee had skin grafts after shock

A firm has been fined £6,500 for safety failings that led to a trainee technician from Bradford needing skin grafts after receiving an electric shock.

Wilson Power Solutions Ltd, of Westland Works, Westland Square, Leeds, was also ordered to pay a £650 victim surcharge and £647 in costs after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

The 22-year-old man, who does not wish to be named, spent five days in hospital with injuries to his arms and chest after the incident on February 18 last year.

Leeds Magistrates heard yesterday that the trainee electrical test technician had to have skin grafts to both hands and had been unable to return to work.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Wilson Power Solutions after finding a series of safety failures in the equipment being used or provided, and in the working practices at the company.

The court was told the trainee was testing a transformer when he touched a connector and received an electric shock.

HSE found equipment at a safer low voltage could have been used but the equipment was broken.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree