Fly-tipping in Bradford 'has risen because of permits scheme’, councillor claims

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Councillor Mike Ellis looks at fly-tipping on Birksland Street, Bradford Councillor Mike Ellis looks at fly-tipping on Birksland Street, Bradford

A controversial permit scheme has driven up the levels of fly-tipping in the district “without a shadow of a doubt”, according to a senior councillor.

Bradford Council started demanding to see residents’ permits at tips in July last year in a bid to stop people from neighbouring districts using them. But Councillor Mike Ellis (Con, Bingley Rural), said it was clear turning people away from the sites had resulted in more people dumping their waste illegally.

He said: “It’s in their vehicle. What are they going to do about it, take it back?”

Coun Ellis, who has a background in waste management and sits on the Council’s environment and waste management overview and scrutiny committee, called for the scheme to be scrapped immediately.

Last week, the committee was presented with a Council report which said the permit scheme could not be blamed for an increase in fly-tipping. The report instead said the problem was cyclical, going up and down over time.

It revealed that while the number of complaints and the number of clean-ups were both up about 35 per cent on the previous year, the actual volume of rubbish being fly-tipped was down. But Coun Ellis poured scorn on this claim, saying: “Everybody in the district has eyes.” He also branded the Council’s figures “meaningless” as they did not include rubbish dumped on private land, which he suspected was on the up.

Coun Ellis gave the example of Birksland Street off Bowling Back Lane, where he estimated about 150 tonnes of waste had been dumped at various locations. He said sites like these would not be cleared up by Council staff and would therefore not be included in the official figures.

Councillor Andrew Thornton, executive member for the environment, said the Council’s figures showed the amount of fly-tipped waste being collected had fallen.

Coun Thornton said he was confident that these figures were an accurate barometer of the problem across the district. He said: “We have a great deal of the land across the district and all of the highways. To suggest that the Council would see a decrease when everyone else would see an increase isn’t a credible argument.”

Coun Thornton said early indications were that the permit scheme was having the desired effect by stopping people from other districts using the facilities, which would save the Bradford taxpayer money. He said: “It’s actually about saving money for the Council taxpayer.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:05am Tue 21 Jan 14

Albion. says...

The penalties for those caught fly-tipping are obviously inadequate. People should be able to use tips without permits, we pay for them.
The penalties for those caught fly-tipping are obviously inadequate. People should be able to use tips without permits, we pay for them. Albion.
  • Score: 18

7:28am Tue 21 Jan 14

hx3bantam says...

Can't say you weren't warned. I used to use Queeny but find
Can't say you weren't warned. I used to use Queeny but find hx3bantam
  • Score: -3

7:33am Tue 21 Jan 14

hx3bantam says...

hx3bantam wrote:
Can't say you weren't warned. I used to use Queeny but find
(oops) ...it just as easy to get to Lee Bank. Looks like BMDC's pettiness is going to cost the taxpayer more in clean up costs! Just like most people predicted when the suggestion was first mooted. Glad I'm under Calderdale!
[quote][p][bold]hx3bantam[/bold] wrote: Can't say you weren't warned. I used to use Queeny but find[/p][/quote](oops) ...it just as easy to get to Lee Bank. Looks like BMDC's pettiness is going to cost the taxpayer more in clean up costs! Just like most people predicted when the suggestion was first mooted. Glad I'm under Calderdale! hx3bantam
  • Score: 10

7:34am Tue 21 Jan 14

Ahrmen Aleg says...

What a joke Councillor Thornton.

You have NO IDEA as to volumes of rubbish collected
reports are UP of fly tipping 36 per cent.
And every visit never mind how much "volume "is collected costs the taxpayer a fortune.
Stupid policy if you think it will save money.
Bradford people use Guseley tip (In Leeds by the way Mr Thornton)
Leeds people may use Bradford tips.When they could get in.
Complete looney.

Only 3 months to go before this £30 grand year man from taxpayer coffers is before the ballot box.
He wants to build a swimming pool on contaminated land in the future too.
Dreamer.
Or should that be creamer to be pad £30 grand a year to come up with this
What a joke Councillor Thornton. You have NO IDEA as to volumes of rubbish collected reports are UP of fly tipping 36 per cent. And every visit never mind how much "volume "is collected costs the taxpayer a fortune. Stupid policy if you think it will save money. Bradford people use Guseley tip (In Leeds by the way Mr Thornton) Leeds people may use Bradford tips.When they could get in. Complete looney. Only 3 months to go before this £30 grand year man from taxpayer coffers is before the ballot box. He wants to build a swimming pool on contaminated land in the future too. Dreamer. Or should that be creamer to be pad £30 grand a year to come up with this Ahrmen Aleg
  • Score: 16

7:55am Tue 21 Jan 14

collos25 says...

What planet does Councillor Thorton come from
What planet does Councillor Thorton come from collos25
  • Score: 8

8:46am Tue 21 Jan 14

sam-tyler says...

The thing is that Birksland Street is only a few hundred yards from the Council tip on Bowling Back Lane.
Why would so much rubbish be tipped in the street, so close to a proper tip?
Could it be because people have been refused at the tip, so just dump it there on their way home?
The thing is that Birksland Street is only a few hundred yards from the Council tip on Bowling Back Lane. Why would so much rubbish be tipped in the street, so close to a proper tip? Could it be because people have been refused at the tip, so just dump it there on their way home? sam-tyler
  • Score: 20

8:51am Tue 21 Jan 14

mad matt says...

I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.
I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified. mad matt
  • Score: 1

9:04am Tue 21 Jan 14

bd7 helper says...

They even tell you how much you can recycle
They even tell you how much you can recycle bd7 helper
  • Score: 3

9:49am Tue 21 Jan 14

Banni2 says...

It's the same old problem, the itinerants that through rubbish are the ones that collect it from others, take out the bits they can sell at the scrapyards, then sling the rest. The Birksland street site is next door to the scrapyards and very close to the slum area of Leeds Road.. What more can you say?
It's the same old problem, the itinerants that through rubbish are the ones that collect it from others, take out the bits they can sell at the scrapyards, then sling the rest. The Birksland street site is next door to the scrapyards and very close to the slum area of Leeds Road.. What more can you say? Banni2
  • Score: 8

10:21am Tue 21 Jan 14

Joedavid says...

Have a permit but never been asked for it when using recycling centre.
Thought scheme had been given up on, now T&A I'm unsure from your article.

Ahrmen Aleg
Nice to hear we can change things in the near future, if only people would go vote.
Have a permit but never been asked for it when using recycling centre. Thought scheme had been given up on, now T&A I'm unsure from your article. Ahrmen Aleg Nice to hear we can change things in the near future, if only people would go vote. Joedavid
  • Score: 4

10:41am Tue 21 Jan 14

webshow says...

Typical of politicians Councillor Andrew Thornton, will never admit failure, never admit a detrimental policy is a disaster. This man should be voted out, he does not work in the interest of Bradfordians.
In the meantime the permit policy should be scrapped.
The council should do whatever it can to stop fly tipping as this lowers residents quality of life. If people make the effort to bring waste to a waste site then they should be able to use the facility without a stupid permit. If ID is required a simple DVLA license will suffice.
Typical of politicians Councillor Andrew Thornton, will never admit failure, never admit a detrimental policy is a disaster. This man should be voted out, he does not work in the interest of Bradfordians. In the meantime the permit policy should be scrapped. The council should do whatever it can to stop fly tipping as this lowers residents quality of life. If people make the effort to bring waste to a waste site then they should be able to use the facility without a stupid permit. If ID is required a simple DVLA license will suffice. webshow
  • Score: 9

10:44am Tue 21 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

mad matt wrote:
I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.
Yes, of course we need more cameras, as if we aren't the most spied on population in the world as it is.

The reason Birksland Street and areas are being used as unofficial tips is exactly as said above, people being turned away will not then return home and put the rubbish in their own garden, they will just dump it wherever.

Much of the waste at council sites is recyclable and saleable, it is ridiculous this scheme was ever adopted and Cllr Thornton wants to man up and admit he is talking out of his backside and reverse the policy.

Cretin.
[quote][p][bold]mad matt[/bold] wrote: I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.[/p][/quote]Yes, of course we need more cameras, as if we aren't the most spied on population in the world as it is. The reason Birksland Street and areas are being used as unofficial tips is exactly as said above, people being turned away will not then return home and put the rubbish in their own garden, they will just dump it wherever. Much of the waste at council sites is recyclable and saleable, it is ridiculous this scheme was ever adopted and Cllr Thornton wants to man up and admit he is talking out of his backside and reverse the policy. Cretin. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 10

10:45am Tue 21 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Notice the scheme isn't in place in forward thinking Leeds but has been adopted by remedial Bradford.
Notice the scheme isn't in place in forward thinking Leeds but has been adopted by remedial Bradford. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 9

11:21am Tue 21 Jan 14

Avro says...

collos25 wrote:
What planet does Councillor Thorton come from
The same planet that Bradford Council come from.. La-La Land
[quote][p][bold]collos25[/bold] wrote: What planet does Councillor Thorton come from[/p][/quote]The same planet that Bradford Council come from.. La-La Land Avro
  • Score: 8

1:35pm Tue 21 Jan 14

SinnerSaint says...

No comments allowed on the illegal parking clampdown.

Wonder why?
No comments allowed on the illegal parking clampdown. Wonder why? SinnerSaint
  • Score: -1

2:18pm Tue 21 Jan 14

4everSteve says...

It was SO obvious that would happen!
It was SO obvious that would happen! 4everSteve
  • Score: 1

3:10pm Tue 21 Jan 14

mad matt says...

Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
mad matt wrote:
I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.
Yes, of course we need more cameras, as if we aren't the most spied on population in the world as it is.

The reason Birksland Street and areas are being used as unofficial tips is exactly as said above, people being turned away will not then return home and put the rubbish in their own garden, they will just dump it wherever.

Much of the waste at council sites is recyclable and saleable, it is ridiculous this scheme was ever adopted and Cllr Thornton wants to man up and admit he is talking out of his backside and reverse the policy.

Cretin.
There is a privately owned back street behind where I live, owned by the householders in the next street. It is full of rubbish from one end to the other, mostly building rubbish after improvements and extensions to the houses in the next street. the last time it was cleared out, myself and some of my neighbours had to do it because the council wouldn't touch it as it is "unadopted" but the lazy people from the next street never even showed their faces.
Because of all the building rubbish in the street it is now attracting all sorts of general household waste and in the summer it stinks!
This has nothing whatsoever to do with the permits, it's just down to dirty, lazy homeowners, who can't be bothered to remove their own rubbish and they've all got cars.
[quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mad matt[/bold] wrote: I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.[/p][/quote]Yes, of course we need more cameras, as if we aren't the most spied on population in the world as it is. The reason Birksland Street and areas are being used as unofficial tips is exactly as said above, people being turned away will not then return home and put the rubbish in their own garden, they will just dump it wherever. Much of the waste at council sites is recyclable and saleable, it is ridiculous this scheme was ever adopted and Cllr Thornton wants to man up and admit he is talking out of his backside and reverse the policy. Cretin.[/p][/quote]There is a privately owned back street behind where I live, owned by the householders in the next street. It is full of rubbish from one end to the other, mostly building rubbish after improvements and extensions to the houses in the next street. the last time it was cleared out, myself and some of my neighbours had to do it because the council wouldn't touch it as it is "unadopted" but the lazy people from the next street never even showed their faces. Because of all the building rubbish in the street it is now attracting all sorts of general household waste and in the summer it stinks! This has nothing whatsoever to do with the permits, it's just down to dirty, lazy homeowners, who can't be bothered to remove their own rubbish and they've all got cars. mad matt
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Tue 21 Jan 14

northern pig says...

The permit system is used in most towns and cities in the uk and works fine. its not the system thas wrong!it is a reflection of the populos, that have gravitated to this city over a number of years. Take a look round some of the postcodes,the peole have no respect for themselves,or where they live.
Says it all.
The permit system is used in most towns and cities in the uk and works fine. its not the system thas wrong!it is a reflection of the populos, that have gravitated to this city over a number of years. Take a look round some of the postcodes,the peole have no respect for themselves,or where they live. Says it all. northern pig
  • Score: -8

4:49pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

mad matt wrote:
Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
mad matt wrote:
I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.
Yes, of course we need more cameras, as if we aren't the most spied on population in the world as it is.

The reason Birksland Street and areas are being used as unofficial tips is exactly as said above, people being turned away will not then return home and put the rubbish in their own garden, they will just dump it wherever.

Much of the waste at council sites is recyclable and saleable, it is ridiculous this scheme was ever adopted and Cllr Thornton wants to man up and admit he is talking out of his backside and reverse the policy.

Cretin.
There is a privately owned back street behind where I live, owned by the householders in the next street. It is full of rubbish from one end to the other, mostly building rubbish after improvements and extensions to the houses in the next street. the last time it was cleared out, myself and some of my neighbours had to do it because the council wouldn't touch it as it is "unadopted" but the lazy people from the next street never even showed their faces.
Because of all the building rubbish in the street it is now attracting all sorts of general household waste and in the summer it stinks!
This has nothing whatsoever to do with the permits, it's just down to dirty, lazy homeowners, who can't be bothered to remove their own rubbish and they've all got cars.
I agree, people are lazy, which is why the permit scheme should never have happened.

I doubt that rubble and waste material from building works are being put there by householders, most likely builders who won't want to pay the commercial tipping charge, once again, nothing to do with a permit.

I don't envy you now that other lazy so and so's are using the area as a personal tip but unless you catch them in the act and report them or take down a number plate you are a bit stuck.
[quote][p][bold]mad matt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mad matt[/bold] wrote: I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.[/p][/quote]Yes, of course we need more cameras, as if we aren't the most spied on population in the world as it is. The reason Birksland Street and areas are being used as unofficial tips is exactly as said above, people being turned away will not then return home and put the rubbish in their own garden, they will just dump it wherever. Much of the waste at council sites is recyclable and saleable, it is ridiculous this scheme was ever adopted and Cllr Thornton wants to man up and admit he is talking out of his backside and reverse the policy. Cretin.[/p][/quote]There is a privately owned back street behind where I live, owned by the householders in the next street. It is full of rubbish from one end to the other, mostly building rubbish after improvements and extensions to the houses in the next street. the last time it was cleared out, myself and some of my neighbours had to do it because the council wouldn't touch it as it is "unadopted" but the lazy people from the next street never even showed their faces. Because of all the building rubbish in the street it is now attracting all sorts of general household waste and in the summer it stinks! This has nothing whatsoever to do with the permits, it's just down to dirty, lazy homeowners, who can't be bothered to remove their own rubbish and they've all got cars.[/p][/quote]I agree, people are lazy, which is why the permit scheme should never have happened. I doubt that rubble and waste material from building works are being put there by householders, most likely builders who won't want to pay the commercial tipping charge, once again, nothing to do with a permit. I don't envy you now that other lazy so and so's are using the area as a personal tip but unless you catch them in the act and report them or take down a number plate you are a bit stuck. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 0

4:57pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

northern pig wrote:
The permit system is used in most towns and cities in the uk and works fine. its not the system thas wrong!it is a reflection of the populos, that have gravitated to this city over a number of years. Take a look round some of the postcodes,the peole have no respect for themselves,or where they live.
Says it all.
The permit scheme is in place by many local authority's for commercial vehicles, not householders using own cars.

***We operate a permit scheme for residents with commercial type vehicles, vans or trailers who use the recycling sites for household waste. You will also need a permit to use borrowed or hired vans.

Why are we introducing a permit scheme?​

Our recycling sites are for household waste and it's illegal for the council to accept trade waste. Permits will help us identify genuine residents and keep trade waste out. This helps us save money and makes the sites more pleasant to use******

More or less the same banner for every council, not Bradford the retards though
[quote][p][bold]northern pig[/bold] wrote: The permit system is used in most towns and cities in the uk and works fine. its not the system thas wrong!it is a reflection of the populos, that have gravitated to this city over a number of years. Take a look round some of the postcodes,the peole have no respect for themselves,or where they live. Says it all.[/p][/quote]The permit scheme is in place by many local authority's for commercial vehicles, not householders using own cars. ***We operate a permit scheme for residents with commercial type vehicles, vans or trailers who use the recycling sites for household waste. You will also need a permit to use borrowed or hired vans. Why are we introducing a permit scheme?​ Our recycling sites are for household waste and it's illegal for the council to accept trade waste. Permits will help us identify genuine residents and keep trade waste out. This helps us save money and makes the sites more pleasant to use****** More or less the same banner for every council, not Bradford the retards though Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 0

6:29pm Tue 21 Jan 14

dorny1971 says...

mad matt wrote:
I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.
Of course the permit system is the problem. If they didn't need a permit, it would be at the bona fide tip because they wouldn't be getting turned away.
[quote][p][bold]mad matt[/bold] wrote: I got a permit as soon as they came out. I certainly don't think the permit system is the problem, it's the dirty idiots that dump rubbish in their own back-streets or any local open spaces they can find. The more secluded it is, the more people seem to use it. What I think is needed is more cameras, because that is the only way these people will ever be identified.[/p][/quote]Of course the permit system is the problem. If they didn't need a permit, it would be at the bona fide tip because they wouldn't be getting turned away. dorny1971
  • Score: 0

7:03pm Tue 21 Jan 14

alive and awake says...

Of course the permit is a problem. If recycling costs tax payers money then stop it now. IF RECYCIING IS NOT PROFIT MAKING STOP IT.
We get a chance to punish the Councillors at the next election.
Of course the permit is a problem. If recycling costs tax payers money then stop it now. IF RECYCIING IS NOT PROFIT MAKING STOP IT. We get a chance to punish the Councillors at the next election. alive and awake
  • Score: 2

8:19pm Tue 21 Jan 14

sorrow&anger says...

Cllr Thornton is a one man disaster area. His increases to the charges for collecting rubbish and trade waste along with his badly handled permit system have turned Bradford into a fly-tippers dump. He completely undermined Bradford's attraction as UK curry capital by restricting inspections and putting us at the bottom of the public hygiene league table. This would be enough to put off any visitor, if his increases to parking fines hadn't done so already.

It's time for him to go, and before the next election.
Cllr Thornton is a one man disaster area. His increases to the charges for collecting rubbish and trade waste along with his badly handled permit system have turned Bradford into a fly-tippers dump. He completely undermined Bradford's attraction as UK curry capital by restricting inspections and putting us at the bottom of the public hygiene league table. This would be enough to put off any visitor, if his increases to parking fines hadn't done so already. It's time for him to go, and before the next election. sorrow&anger
  • Score: 4

8:46pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Grumpygirl says...

I'm sure Coun. Thornton will never accept responsibility for the fly tipping, he never accepts responsibility for anything.

What is Coun. Thornton, going to do about all the fly tipped rubbish? It's turning the city back into a dump just at the time when there are some flickers of regeneration. The rubbish needs cleaning up, it can't just be left to rot and if the City Hall isn't efficient enough to identify the culprits then City Hall must do the cleaning up.

In this crime riddled city of ours there are plenty of people on community service, surely they could be persuaded to help at no cost to the tax payer.
I'm sure Coun. Thornton will never accept responsibility for the fly tipping, he never accepts responsibility for anything. What is Coun. Thornton, going to do about all the fly tipped rubbish? It's turning the city back into a dump just at the time when there are some flickers of regeneration. The rubbish needs cleaning up, it can't just be left to rot and if the City Hall isn't efficient enough to identify the culprits then City Hall must do the cleaning up. In this crime riddled city of ours there are plenty of people on community service, surely they could be persuaded to help at no cost to the tax payer. Grumpygirl
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree