Work on Broadway shopping centre leads to closure of Bradford Urban Garden

Signs announcing the closure of Bradford Urban Garden have gone up today

Signs announcing the closure of Bradford Urban Garden have gone up today

First published in News
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford Chief Reporter

Bradford Urban Garden will close on Monday so work can start on the city’s long-awaited £260 million shopping centre.

Signs were placed at entrances to the temporary landscaped space, on the site of the proposed Broadway retail development, today.

The 11,000 sq ft park, with grassed areas, wild flower meadows and pathways across the city, was created in August 2010 after initial work on the project stopped.

Last month, Australian developer Westfield announced that construction would restart early in January after all legal documents meaning the scheme would definitely go-ahead were signed.

Westfield hoardings will go up around the site to ensure it is safe and secure so that the building work can start.

The shopping centre, which will include leading high street names such as Debenhams, Marks & Spencer, River Island and WH Smith, is scheduled to open in December 2015.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:28pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Yorkshire Lass says...

About time as well. A waste of money in excess of £300,000 and mainly used for a short cut from Market Street to Leeds Road. But never mind, should soon have a new shopping centre.
About time as well. A waste of money in excess of £300,000 and mainly used for a short cut from Market Street to Leeds Road. But never mind, should soon have a new shopping centre. Yorkshire Lass
  • Score: 15

3:36pm Fri 3 Jan 14

theoutsider says...

Hands off Bratfuds urban s'Hole its part of our great City heritige!
Hands off Bratfuds urban s'Hole its part of our great City heritige! theoutsider
  • Score: 0

6:26pm Fri 3 Jan 14

informer says...

The big question is will Debenhams now pull out due to the recent news
The big question is will Debenhams now pull out due to the recent news informer
  • Score: 6

6:39pm Fri 3 Jan 14

collos25 says...

M&S are not doing all that well with the closing of half their distribution depot and turnover going through the floor.Unless there are major changes afoot I cannot see Debenhams lasting all that long. But lets look on the bright side with all the empty shops as they move into the new building they will be able demolish the old buildings and make a park.
M&S are not doing all that well with the closing of half their distribution depot and turnover going through the floor.Unless there are major changes afoot I cannot see Debenhams lasting all that long. But lets look on the bright side with all the empty shops as they move into the new building they will be able demolish the old buildings and make a park. collos25
  • Score: -6

7:08pm Fri 3 Jan 14

mad matt says...

collos25 wrote:
M&S are not doing all that well with the closing of half their distribution depot and turnover going through the floor.Unless there are major changes afoot I cannot see Debenhams lasting all that long. But lets look on the bright side with all the empty shops as they move into the new building they will be able demolish the old buildings and make a park.
I like your thinking there -
[quote][p][bold]collos25[/bold] wrote: M&S are not doing all that well with the closing of half their distribution depot and turnover going through the floor.Unless there are major changes afoot I cannot see Debenhams lasting all that long. But lets look on the bright side with all the empty shops as they move into the new building they will be able demolish the old buildings and make a park.[/p][/quote]I like your thinking there - mad matt
  • Score: -5

7:46pm Fri 3 Jan 14

homeless2 says...

Some great artwork on the external hoardings-hopefully it will get saved rather than trashed by the bulldozers.
Some great artwork on the external hoardings-hopefully it will get saved rather than trashed by the bulldozers. homeless2
  • Score: -1

8:32pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Alhaurinrhino says...

Why can't we comment on the chef who was caught... er....beating his meat?
Why can't we comment on the chef who was caught... er....beating his meat? Alhaurinrhino
  • Score: 3

10:24pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Rhinoman says...

Alhaurinrhino wrote:
Why can't we comment on the chef who was caught... er....beating his meat?
Good question , As it is the most read story you would think they would through it open to a mass debate. or maybe its because our brilliant local rag are worried they may get a few risque comments . Hey Ho
[quote][p][bold]Alhaurinrhino[/bold] wrote: Why can't we comment on the chef who was caught... er....beating his meat?[/p][/quote]Good question , As it is the most read story you would think they would through it open to a mass debate. or maybe its because our brilliant local rag are worried they may get a few risque comments . Hey Ho Rhinoman
  • Score: 5

10:44pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Not so simple says...

Rhinoman wrote:
Alhaurinrhino wrote:
Why can't we comment on the chef who was caught... er....beating his meat?
Good question , As it is the most read story you would think they would through it open to a mass debate. or maybe its because our brilliant local rag are worried they may get a few risque comments . Hey Ho
Instead of commenting on the meat beating chef we can comment on the council and Westfield beating up the hole in the ground; Or is that uphill gardening lol.
[quote][p][bold]Rhinoman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alhaurinrhino[/bold] wrote: Why can't we comment on the chef who was caught... er....beating his meat?[/p][/quote]Good question , As it is the most read story you would think they would through it open to a mass debate. or maybe its because our brilliant local rag are worried they may get a few risque comments . Hey Ho[/p][/quote]Instead of commenting on the meat beating chef we can comment on the council and Westfield beating up the hole in the ground; Or is that uphill gardening lol. Not so simple
  • Score: 4

9:28am Sat 4 Jan 14

Avro says...

collos25 wrote:
M&S are not doing all that well with the closing of half their distribution depot and turnover going through the floor.Unless there are major changes afoot I cannot see Debenhams lasting all that long. But lets look on the bright side with all the empty shops as they move into the new building they will be able demolish the old buildings and make a park.
Job losses at the Bradford depot yes, but as a result of building a new depot in South Yorks.

Debenhams and M&S will have to change their business model if they are to maintain the number and size of outlets.
I think that M&S will eventually down size to just food retail and that Debenhams may vanish from the map if it does not change its business plan.

Two years a long time for Westfield to be up and running, a lot can happen during this time with these anchorswhich might impact on the completion of Westfield.
[quote][p][bold]collos25[/bold] wrote: M&S are not doing all that well with the closing of half their distribution depot and turnover going through the floor.Unless there are major changes afoot I cannot see Debenhams lasting all that long. But lets look on the bright side with all the empty shops as they move into the new building they will be able demolish the old buildings and make a park.[/p][/quote]Job losses at the Bradford depot yes, but as a result of building a new depot in South Yorks. Debenhams and M&S will have to change their business model if they are to maintain the number and size of outlets. I think that M&S will eventually down size to just food retail and that Debenhams may vanish from the map if it does not change its business plan. Two years a long time for Westfield to be up and running, a lot can happen during this time with these anchorswhich might impact on the completion of Westfield. Avro
  • Score: 2

10:04am Sun 5 Jan 14

WayneRouke says...

Too little, too late.

As for the chef. (I think) the report said it wasnt obvious what he was doing until the camera operator zoomed in.. Does the council not have better things to do than zoom in on a bloke having a sly one in assumed total privacy. How about zooming in on Drug dealers, bad drivers, people traffickers, pick pockets and all other criminal activity.

My view of that incident is "SO WHAT", Nobody hurt and nobody offended. Makes you wonder what else they are wasting their time on.

How about giving the operators more to do by putting cameras on estates with high crime rates, and catching real criminals.

Not long to go now and I am totally out of Bradford forever, thank God, Worst place I have ever lived.
Too little, too late. As for the chef. (I think) the report said it wasnt obvious what he was doing until the camera operator zoomed in.. Does the council not have better things to do than zoom in on a bloke having a sly one in assumed total privacy. How about zooming in on Drug dealers, bad drivers, people traffickers, pick pockets and all other criminal activity. My view of that incident is "SO WHAT", Nobody hurt and nobody offended. Makes you wonder what else they are wasting their time on. How about giving the operators more to do by putting cameras on estates with high crime rates, and catching real criminals. Not long to go now and I am totally out of Bradford forever, thank God, Worst place I have ever lived. WayneRouke
  • Score: -1

10:40am Sun 5 Jan 14

I can see clearly now... says...

AT LAST! The sad thing is that Bradford was once one of the most prosperous places in the country to live. Even up until the 1950s, there were more Rolls Royces registered to addresses in Bradford than there were in London. Unfortunately, whilst our current crop of overpaid useless councillors are telling us what a wonderful, multi-cultural and vibrant place to live Bradford is, they stubbornly refuse to understand that a good proportion of the local populus are fed up of hearing such platitudes whilst the evidence all around us points to the fact that our politicians are merely overseeing the slide into the abyss...
AT LAST! The sad thing is that Bradford was once one of the most prosperous places in the country to live. Even up until the 1950s, there were more Rolls Royces registered to addresses in Bradford than there were in London. Unfortunately, whilst our current crop of overpaid useless councillors are telling us what a wonderful, multi-cultural and vibrant place to live Bradford is, they stubbornly refuse to understand that a good proportion of the local populus are fed up of hearing such platitudes whilst the evidence all around us points to the fact that our politicians are merely overseeing the slide into the abyss... I can see clearly now...
  • Score: 2

10:45am Sun 5 Jan 14

Alhaurinrhino says...

WayneRouke wrote:
Too little, too late.

As for the chef. (I think) the report said it wasnt obvious what he was doing until the camera operator zoomed in.. Does the council not have better things to do than zoom in on a bloke having a sly one in assumed total privacy. How about zooming in on Drug dealers, bad drivers, people traffickers, pick pockets and all other criminal activity.

My view of that incident is "SO WHAT", Nobody hurt and nobody offended. Makes you wonder what else they are wasting their time on.

How about giving the operators more to do by putting cameras on estates with high crime rates, and catching real criminals.

Not long to go now and I am totally out of Bradford forever, thank God, Worst place I have ever lived.
Read the article. He was prosecuted for having no insurance or licence, so the fact that he was flipping one over his thumb whilst watching people leave a night club has cost this little pervert dearly.
[quote][p][bold]WayneRouke[/bold] wrote: Too little, too late. As for the chef. (I think) the report said it wasnt obvious what he was doing until the camera operator zoomed in.. Does the council not have better things to do than zoom in on a bloke having a sly one in assumed total privacy. How about zooming in on Drug dealers, bad drivers, people traffickers, pick pockets and all other criminal activity. My view of that incident is "SO WHAT", Nobody hurt and nobody offended. Makes you wonder what else they are wasting their time on. How about giving the operators more to do by putting cameras on estates with high crime rates, and catching real criminals. Not long to go now and I am totally out of Bradford forever, thank God, Worst place I have ever lived.[/p][/quote]Read the article. He was prosecuted for having no insurance or licence, so the fact that he was flipping one over his thumb whilst watching people leave a night club has cost this little pervert dearly. Alhaurinrhino
  • Score: -1

2:41pm Sun 5 Jan 14

WayneRouke says...

Alhaurinrhino wrote:
WayneRouke wrote:
Too little, too late.

As for the chef. (I think) the report said it wasnt obvious what he was doing until the camera operator zoomed in.. Does the council not have better things to do than zoom in on a bloke having a sly one in assumed total privacy. How about zooming in on Drug dealers, bad drivers, people traffickers, pick pockets and all other criminal activity.

My view of that incident is "SO WHAT", Nobody hurt and nobody offended. Makes you wonder what else they are wasting their time on.

How about giving the operators more to do by putting cameras on estates with high crime rates, and catching real criminals.

Not long to go now and I am totally out of Bradford forever, thank God, Worst place I have ever lived.
Read the article. He was prosecuted for having no insurance or licence, so the fact that he was flipping one over his thumb whilst watching people leave a night club has cost this little pervert dearly.
Where is the bit where I said what he was prosecuted for???

I merely mentioned the fact that the camera operator had to zoom in to establish his actions, and wondered whether the cameras could be put to better use,ie catching drug dealers etc.

Camera or no camera, he would have been caught in due course for the lack of license/insurance.

I just think the camera could have been put to better use than someone zooming in to have a peep at a bloke having a tug.
[quote][p][bold]Alhaurinrhino[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WayneRouke[/bold] wrote: Too little, too late. As for the chef. (I think) the report said it wasnt obvious what he was doing until the camera operator zoomed in.. Does the council not have better things to do than zoom in on a bloke having a sly one in assumed total privacy. How about zooming in on Drug dealers, bad drivers, people traffickers, pick pockets and all other criminal activity. My view of that incident is "SO WHAT", Nobody hurt and nobody offended. Makes you wonder what else they are wasting their time on. How about giving the operators more to do by putting cameras on estates with high crime rates, and catching real criminals. Not long to go now and I am totally out of Bradford forever, thank God, Worst place I have ever lived.[/p][/quote]Read the article. He was prosecuted for having no insurance or licence, so the fact that he was flipping one over his thumb whilst watching people leave a night club has cost this little pervert dearly.[/p][/quote]Where is the bit where I said what he was prosecuted for??? I merely mentioned the fact that the camera operator had to zoom in to establish his actions, and wondered whether the cameras could be put to better use,ie catching drug dealers etc. Camera or no camera, he would have been caught in due course for the lack of license/insurance. I just think the camera could have been put to better use than someone zooming in to have a peep at a bloke having a tug. WayneRouke
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree