Tributes are paid to tragic Cleckheaton barman who died in Gomersal

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Dom Goddard, right, with pals Dom Goddard, right, with pals

A barman who was killed when a caravan toppled on to him as he walked home from a party has been named as Dom Goddard.

Mr Goddard, who worked at The George in Cleckheaton, died at the scene of the accident in Church Lane, Gomersal, at about 1.30am last Friday.

The road was sealed off by emergency services as firefighters fought to rescue him.

The former pupil at Whitcliffe Mount School, Cleckheaton, who was in his 20s, leaves parents and a younger and older brother, according to his bar colleague Scott McGhee who knew him for two years.

Mr McGhee said: “We are all shocked, totally. No-one knows what happened, we were just told there had been a terrible accident. We think he’d been walking home, one of his girlfriend’s family had been having a party.”

Mr McGhee, who was due to celebrate his birthday with drinks with Mr Goddard and other friends this Friday, said: “Dom would have been with me, he wouldn’t miss something like that.

“He was the most caring guy you could ever meet. He was genuine, liked a drink and liked to have fun. His party trick was fitting his whole mouth round a pint glass and drinking from it!”

He said Mr Goddard worked at The George just for “party money” and had a full-time job with merchandising company LSI based in Cleckheaton.

A tribute on social network site Facebook by Mr Goddard’s girlfriend, Kirsty Eastwood, said: “Words can’t describe how much I miss my boy. I might have only known him six months, but we shared so much together and I know we’d have been together so much longer.

“We had so many things planned for next year and I can’t believe he’s gone. Waking up and looking at my phone knowing I’ll never have my morning text from you is the hardest feeling.”

Police believe the caravan was being towed at the time. Anyone with information about what happened has been urged to call the non-emergency number on 101.

Church Lane was closed from its junction with Muffit Lane for several hours after the accident not opening again until 5.15am. Yorkshire Ambulance Service sent a rapid response vehicle, ambulance, doctor and hazardous area response unit to the scene.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree