Barry Selby acid attack death: a fourth man to face murder charge (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Barry Selby acid attack death: a fourth man to face murder charge
A fourth man was today due to be charged with murder in relation to the acid-attack death of a man in Bradford.
The information emerged yesterday at the opening of the inquest into the death of Barry Selby, who was shot and sprayed with sulphuric acid at his home in East Bowling in the early hours of October 14.
In a statement to the court, DCI Wallen told how a group of men forced entry to Mr Selby’s house on Rayleigh Street, East Bowling, at about 2.10am on Monday, October 14.
Mr Selby lived at the property with his wife Donna and 19-year-old daughter Jade, said DCI Wallen.
“The group of men, all of whom were wearing facial coverings, went to an upstairs bedroom where they attacked Mr Selby,” added DCI Wallen. “At the time of the attack Mr Selby, who had been asleep in bed, was wearing only a pair of shorts.
“Mr Selby received a gun-shot injury to his left ankle and was sprayed with sulphuric acid.”
The court heard that Mr Selby was taken to Leeds General Infirmary for treatment before being moved to a burns unit at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield. He died on October 18.
DCI Wallen told the inquest: “Mr Selby was found to have died from multiple organ failure as a result of chemical burns.”
Three other men have already been charged with murder as part of the investigation into Mr Selby’s death. They are Lee Calvert, of Sterling Crescent, Holme Wood, Joseph Lowther, of Copgrove Road in Holme Wood, and Andrew Feather, of no fixed address. They, and Robert Woodhead, have also all been charged with firearms offences.
Bradford assistant coroner Dominic Bell ruled that Mr Selby’s body could be released to the family for his funeral this Friday at Rawdon Crematorium. He opened and adjourned the inquest.