"Bradford schools must fight boy-girl subject divide"

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: JOY: Students at Belle Vue Girls’ School with their A level results this summer JOY: Students at Belle Vue Girls’ School with their A level results this summer

Schools need to do more to help children realise that the subjects they choose should not depend on their sex, according to education leaders.

A report by the Institute of Physics shows that there is a gap between the numbers of girls and boys studying some A levels, and schools are not doing enough to close the divide.

Councillor Ralph Berry, the executive member for children’s services at Bradford Council, said the problem is something that needs to be debated at a local level.

The IOP analysed pupils’ transition from GCSE to A level, when students are invited to pick subjects to study from age 16 to 18. Their research, published under the title Closing Doors, found gender bias in six subjects.

Maths, economics and physics are traditionally male-dominated and biology, psychology and English are favoured by girls, the report claims. Researchers suggested half of all state schools are doing too little to counter the stereotypical reputation of subjects.

And Yorkshire and the Humber region is below average in closing this gender gap. Coun Berry said: “It is a top priority for us. As the father of a 14-year-old girl who loves science I think it is a really important issue.

“It is important for future employment and regeneration.

“We need to challenge the stereotypes of who studies what subject.”

Belle Vue Girls’ School is one Bradford School that has bucked the trend, and last summer saw record numbers of girls get top marks in the sciences after choosing them over more traditional “girls” subjects.

Vlad Waley, assistant head at the school in Thorn Lane, Heaton, said the school had made efforts to encourage its pupils to take on such subjects.

She said: “I think a lot of it is down to guidance. We explain the importance of subjects like maths and sciences while the pupils are still quite young in years nine and ten.

“We have also had a few students who have gone out to get engineering jobs – it makes things easier when they can come in and explain the benefits to the younger pupils.”

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:17am Tue 10 Dec 13

Albion. says...

I think they'd just be better trying to improve what they already do.
I think they'd just be better trying to improve what they already do. Albion.

8:02am Tue 10 Dec 13

thatsnotmyname says...

All well and good the schools trying to do this but at home the girls pictured will be told what is right and wrong.
All well and good the schools trying to do this but at home the girls pictured will be told what is right and wrong. thatsnotmyname

10:42am Tue 10 Dec 13

Albion. says...

thatsnotmyname wrote:
All well and good the schools trying to do this but at home the girls pictured will be told what is right and wrong.
Or rather "what is acceptable".
[quote][p][bold]thatsnotmyname[/bold] wrote: All well and good the schools trying to do this but at home the girls pictured will be told what is right and wrong.[/p][/quote]Or rather "what is acceptable". Albion.

10:43am Tue 10 Dec 13

RuggerTyke says...

thatsnotmyname wrote:
All well and good the schools trying to do this but at home the girls pictured will be told what is right and wrong.
Like getting a good education.
[quote][p][bold]thatsnotmyname[/bold] wrote: All well and good the schools trying to do this but at home the girls pictured will be told what is right and wrong.[/p][/quote]Like getting a good education. RuggerTyke

12:38pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Bone_idle18 says...

One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids.

They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe.

Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?
One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids. They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe. Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)? Bone_idle18

12:48pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Joedavid says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids.

They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe.

Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?
My Children and Grandchildren have all had no problems with being taught both.
That one is what the Bible and Christians believe the other being Darwin and his theory what many science and secular people believe.
*
I can't remember who and when I heard someone declare that they did not believe the Bible but the order of things being created was correct.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids. They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe. Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?[/p][/quote]My Children and Grandchildren have all had no problems with being taught both. That one is what the Bible and Christians believe the other being Darwin and his theory what many science and secular people believe. * I can't remember who and when I heard someone declare that they did not believe the Bible but the order of things being created was correct. Joedavid

1:09pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Not so simple says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids.

They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe.

Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?
Most religions are compatible with the "truth or science" as you put it.

Re the subject of eugenics inspired evolution; when I studied law I mooted the evolution "theory" that is seen and taught as "fact" by teachers. The evolution argument is a very poor theory as there are many missing links and many assumptions on the unkown or undiscovered facts that would give this evolution theory any backbone. Put it simply; I challenge an evolutionist to justify the theory as fact in any court of law....it cannot be done as the evidence has been misunderstood, tampered with and there are far too many missing links. No court on this planet would give credit to this evolution theory.

The fact it is taught in schools is beyond a joke itself. It should be taught as potential theory rather then fact. Shame is that the teachers, curriculum advisors are too thick to understand the difference between a theory and fact.

Also when presenting a scientific or religious point one must look at the credibility of those presenting it. The religious characters are of a very high standing and would be considered as honest and reliable characters. However the same cannot be said about the people such as Darwin and his cousins/pals who speak of evolution and eugenics....these people had and still have an agenda which is contrary to the common good or common law.

Also the evidence presented by these religious and scientific people has to stand the test of time and increased awareness in the light of increasing knowledge. Missing links and assumptions based on eugenics have not stood the test of time. Religions have successfully retained a belief system which only grows with factual based science....evolution and eugenics only decreases with time as the foundation of research that supports such trash is based upon assumptions and hidden agendas.

Most do not know (nowadays anyway) that work houses such as loosely portrayed in Oliver twist were based upon evolution/Eugenics which spoke of the survival of the fittest....those that survived were deemed to be better individuals and prospered and those that were poor and needy were seen as still evolving.....this started the slave trade, started the work houses, started the empire building. Do no accept everything in scientific journals and textbooks as fact as my experience shows that most is man made rubbish to brainwash and dumb the masses who are perceived to be still evolving and are considered less important by the elite "evolved" beings.

Do your brain justice...do your own research and studies with an open heart.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids. They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe. Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?[/p][/quote]Most religions are compatible with the "truth or science" as you put it. Re the subject of eugenics inspired evolution; when I studied law I mooted the evolution "theory" that is seen and taught as "fact" by teachers. The evolution argument is a very poor theory as there are many missing links and many assumptions on the unkown or undiscovered facts that would give this evolution theory any backbone. Put it simply; I challenge an evolutionist to justify the theory as fact in any court of law....it cannot be done as the evidence has been misunderstood, tampered with and there are far too many missing links. No court on this planet would give credit to this evolution theory. The fact it is taught in schools is beyond a joke itself. It should be taught as potential theory rather then fact. Shame is that the teachers, curriculum advisors are too thick to understand the difference between a theory and fact. Also when presenting a scientific or religious point one must look at the credibility of those presenting it. The religious characters are of a very high standing and would be considered as honest and reliable characters. However the same cannot be said about the people such as Darwin and his cousins/pals who speak of evolution and eugenics....these people had and still have an agenda which is contrary to the common good or common law. Also the evidence presented by these religious and scientific people has to stand the test of time and increased awareness in the light of increasing knowledge. Missing links and assumptions based on eugenics have not stood the test of time. Religions have successfully retained a belief system which only grows with factual based science....evolution and eugenics only decreases with time as the foundation of research that supports such trash is based upon assumptions and hidden agendas. Most do not know (nowadays anyway) that work houses such as loosely portrayed in Oliver twist were based upon evolution/Eugenics which spoke of the survival of the fittest....those that survived were deemed to be better individuals and prospered and those that were poor and needy were seen as still evolving.....this started the slave trade, started the work houses, started the empire building. Do no accept everything in scientific journals and textbooks as fact as my experience shows that most is man made rubbish to brainwash and dumb the masses who are perceived to be still evolving and are considered less important by the elite "evolved" beings. Do your brain justice...do your own research and studies with an open heart. Not so simple

1:17pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Bone_idle18 says...

Not so simple wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote:
One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids.

They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe.

Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?
Most religions are compatible with the "truth or science" as you put it.

Re the subject of eugenics inspired evolution; when I studied law I mooted the evolution "theory" that is seen and taught as "fact" by teachers. The evolution argument is a very poor theory as there are many missing links and many assumptions on the unkown or undiscovered facts that would give this evolution theory any backbone. Put it simply; I challenge an evolutionist to justify the theory as fact in any court of law....it cannot be done as the evidence has been misunderstood, tampered with and there are far too many missing links. No court on this planet would give credit to this evolution theory.

The fact it is taught in schools is beyond a joke itself. It should be taught as potential theory rather then fact. Shame is that the teachers, curriculum advisors are too thick to understand the difference between a theory and fact.

Also when presenting a scientific or religious point one must look at the credibility of those presenting it. The religious characters are of a very high standing and would be considered as honest and reliable characters. However the same cannot be said about the people such as Darwin and his cousins/pals who speak of evolution and eugenics....these people had and still have an agenda which is contrary to the common good or common law.

Also the evidence presented by these religious and scientific people has to stand the test of time and increased awareness in the light of increasing knowledge. Missing links and assumptions based on eugenics have not stood the test of time. Religions have successfully retained a belief system which only grows with factual based science....evolution and eugenics only decreases with time as the foundation of research that supports such trash is based upon assumptions and hidden agendas.

Most do not know (nowadays anyway) that work houses such as loosely portrayed in Oliver twist were based upon evolution/Eugenics which spoke of the survival of the fittest....those that survived were deemed to be better individuals and prospered and those that were poor and needy were seen as still evolving.....this started the slave trade, started the work houses, started the empire building. Do no accept everything in scientific journals and textbooks as fact as my experience shows that most is man made rubbish to brainwash and dumb the masses who are perceived to be still evolving and are considered less important by the elite "evolved" beings.

Do your brain justice...do your own research and studies with an open heart.
There might be some missing links are assumption in science, but there's still far more provable substance to it than religion.

Science is proving more and more every single day, but where is the proof of god?

You have obviously been reading some of the convoluted rubbish trying to scare science and religion on religious websites all over the web, it's designed to try and reinforce the faith in believers, but it's totally transparent to non-belieivers.
[quote][p][bold]Not so simple[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids. They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe. Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?[/p][/quote]Most religions are compatible with the "truth or science" as you put it. Re the subject of eugenics inspired evolution; when I studied law I mooted the evolution "theory" that is seen and taught as "fact" by teachers. The evolution argument is a very poor theory as there are many missing links and many assumptions on the unkown or undiscovered facts that would give this evolution theory any backbone. Put it simply; I challenge an evolutionist to justify the theory as fact in any court of law....it cannot be done as the evidence has been misunderstood, tampered with and there are far too many missing links. No court on this planet would give credit to this evolution theory. The fact it is taught in schools is beyond a joke itself. It should be taught as potential theory rather then fact. Shame is that the teachers, curriculum advisors are too thick to understand the difference between a theory and fact. Also when presenting a scientific or religious point one must look at the credibility of those presenting it. The religious characters are of a very high standing and would be considered as honest and reliable characters. However the same cannot be said about the people such as Darwin and his cousins/pals who speak of evolution and eugenics....these people had and still have an agenda which is contrary to the common good or common law. Also the evidence presented by these religious and scientific people has to stand the test of time and increased awareness in the light of increasing knowledge. Missing links and assumptions based on eugenics have not stood the test of time. Religions have successfully retained a belief system which only grows with factual based science....evolution and eugenics only decreases with time as the foundation of research that supports such trash is based upon assumptions and hidden agendas. Most do not know (nowadays anyway) that work houses such as loosely portrayed in Oliver twist were based upon evolution/Eugenics which spoke of the survival of the fittest....those that survived were deemed to be better individuals and prospered and those that were poor and needy were seen as still evolving.....this started the slave trade, started the work houses, started the empire building. Do no accept everything in scientific journals and textbooks as fact as my experience shows that most is man made rubbish to brainwash and dumb the masses who are perceived to be still evolving and are considered less important by the elite "evolved" beings. Do your brain justice...do your own research and studies with an open heart.[/p][/quote]There might be some missing links are assumption in science, but there's still far more provable substance to it than religion. Science is proving more and more every single day, but where is the proof of god? You have obviously been reading some of the convoluted rubbish trying to scare science and religion on religious websites all over the web, it's designed to try and reinforce the faith in believers, but it's totally transparent to non-belieivers. Bone_idle18

1:18pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Bone_idle18 says...

Care to explain the creating of the universe? Did god knock it up of of clay one afternoon?
Care to explain the creating of the universe? Did god knock it up of of clay one afternoon? Bone_idle18

1:36pm Tue 10 Dec 13

bd7 helper says...

Just showing off
Just showing off bd7 helper

1:44pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Bone_idle18 says...

BTW, you're calling the scientific masses "Brainwashed", what does that people who follow religion blindly, without even a shred of evidence to support the existence of god?

You try and make your argument appear balanced and fair, but in the end your (not so hidden) agenda clearly shows through.

Maybe we could put science to better use and try and work out why so many feeble minded people believe in something with absolutely no proof?
BTW, you're calling the scientific masses "Brainwashed", what does that people who follow religion blindly, without even a shred of evidence to support the existence of god? You try and make your argument appear balanced and fair, but in the end your (not so hidden) agenda clearly shows through. Maybe we could put science to better use and try and work out why so many feeble minded people believe in something with absolutely no proof? Bone_idle18

1:49pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Bone_idle18 says...

Oh, and not so Simple, you do realise that eugenics applies to humans only? Life on earth evolved long before us. Typical religious mistake though, as you lot think the world and Man were creates at almost the same time.
Oh, and not so Simple, you do realise that eugenics applies to humans only? Life on earth evolved long before us. Typical religious mistake though, as you lot think the world and Man were creates at almost the same time. Bone_idle18

1:51pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Bone_idle18 says...

Back to the original point. You will never have equality in schools (or elsewhere) as long as religion exists. Most religious discriminate against females to some extent or other. Being calling for an outright ban to female education to preventing women from becoming bishops!
Back to the original point. You will never have equality in schools (or elsewhere) as long as religion exists. Most religious discriminate against females to some extent or other. Being calling for an outright ban to female education to preventing women from becoming bishops! Bone_idle18

1:59pm Tue 10 Dec 13

allinittogether says...

Quote " The religious characters are of a very high standing and would be considered as honest and reliable characters."
Comedy gold!
Quote " The religious characters are of a very high standing and would be considered as honest and reliable characters." Comedy gold! allinittogether

4:54pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Not so simple wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote:
One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids.

They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe.

Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?
Most religions are compatible with the "truth or science" as you put it.

Re the subject of eugenics inspired evolution; when I studied law I mooted the evolution "theory" that is seen and taught as "fact" by teachers. The evolution argument is a very poor theory as there are many missing links and many assumptions on the unkown or undiscovered facts that would give this evolution theory any backbone. Put it simply; I challenge an evolutionist to justify the theory as fact in any court of law....it cannot be done as the evidence has been misunderstood, tampered with and there are far too many missing links. No court on this planet would give credit to this evolution theory.

The fact it is taught in schools is beyond a joke itself. It should be taught as potential theory rather then fact. Shame is that the teachers, curriculum advisors are too thick to understand the difference between a theory and fact.

Also when presenting a scientific or religious point one must look at the credibility of those presenting it. The religious characters are of a very high standing and would be considered as honest and reliable characters. However the same cannot be said about the people such as Darwin and his cousins/pals who speak of evolution and eugenics....these people had and still have an agenda which is contrary to the common good or common law.

Also the evidence presented by these religious and scientific people has to stand the test of time and increased awareness in the light of increasing knowledge. Missing links and assumptions based on eugenics have not stood the test of time. Religions have successfully retained a belief system which only grows with factual based science....evolution and eugenics only decreases with time as the foundation of research that supports such trash is based upon assumptions and hidden agendas.

Most do not know (nowadays anyway) that work houses such as loosely portrayed in Oliver twist were based upon evolution/Eugenics which spoke of the survival of the fittest....those that survived were deemed to be better individuals and prospered and those that were poor and needy were seen as still evolving.....this started the slave trade, started the work houses, started the empire building. Do no accept everything in scientific journals and textbooks as fact as my experience shows that most is man made rubbish to brainwash and dumb the masses who are perceived to be still evolving and are considered less important by the elite "evolved" beings.

Do your brain justice...do your own research and studies with an open heart.
Crank.

In the beginning there was nothing, then there was a big bang.


The end.
[quote][p][bold]Not so simple[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids. They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe. Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?[/p][/quote]Most religions are compatible with the "truth or science" as you put it. Re the subject of eugenics inspired evolution; when I studied law I mooted the evolution "theory" that is seen and taught as "fact" by teachers. The evolution argument is a very poor theory as there are many missing links and many assumptions on the unkown or undiscovered facts that would give this evolution theory any backbone. Put it simply; I challenge an evolutionist to justify the theory as fact in any court of law....it cannot be done as the evidence has been misunderstood, tampered with and there are far too many missing links. No court on this planet would give credit to this evolution theory. The fact it is taught in schools is beyond a joke itself. It should be taught as potential theory rather then fact. Shame is that the teachers, curriculum advisors are too thick to understand the difference between a theory and fact. Also when presenting a scientific or religious point one must look at the credibility of those presenting it. The religious characters are of a very high standing and would be considered as honest and reliable characters. However the same cannot be said about the people such as Darwin and his cousins/pals who speak of evolution and eugenics....these people had and still have an agenda which is contrary to the common good or common law. Also the evidence presented by these religious and scientific people has to stand the test of time and increased awareness in the light of increasing knowledge. Missing links and assumptions based on eugenics have not stood the test of time. Religions have successfully retained a belief system which only grows with factual based science....evolution and eugenics only decreases with time as the foundation of research that supports such trash is based upon assumptions and hidden agendas. Most do not know (nowadays anyway) that work houses such as loosely portrayed in Oliver twist were based upon evolution/Eugenics which spoke of the survival of the fittest....those that survived were deemed to be better individuals and prospered and those that were poor and needy were seen as still evolving.....this started the slave trade, started the work houses, started the empire building. Do no accept everything in scientific journals and textbooks as fact as my experience shows that most is man made rubbish to brainwash and dumb the masses who are perceived to be still evolving and are considered less important by the elite "evolved" beings. Do your brain justice...do your own research and studies with an open heart.[/p][/quote]Crank. In the beginning there was nothing, then there was a big bang. The end. Prisoner Cell Block A

4:54pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Care to explain the creating of the universe? Did god knock it up of of clay one afternoon?
No, he used the **** bone of a jaw
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: Care to explain the creating of the universe? Did god knock it up of of clay one afternoon?[/p][/quote]No, he used the **** bone of a jaw Prisoner Cell Block A

7:35pm Tue 10 Dec 13

hussana says...

I have read all the comments above and would like to say one of the girls is my daughter and it has not just been the school that has supported my daughter but we as a family have loved and nurtured our daughter so she may achieve her full potential. Sometimes it is better not to stereotype people but to try to remain open minded. I personally did want my daughter to go this school but got my last choice, and accepted it. Girls who are happy at home will strive in any school mixed or not. Please think next time before making a random judgement.
I have read all the comments above and would like to say one of the girls is my daughter and it has not just been the school that has supported my daughter but we as a family have loved and nurtured our daughter so she may achieve her full potential. Sometimes it is better not to stereotype people but to try to remain open minded. I personally did want my daughter to go this school but got my last choice, and accepted it. Girls who are happy at home will strive in any school mixed or not. Please think next time before making a random judgement. hussana

10:59pm Tue 10 Dec 13

RuggerTyke says...

What is the problem here ?.

Men are better with money (maths, economics) and DIY (physics), whilst women generally talk more (English), coerece their husbands in to spending money (psychology) and raisng children (Biology, English - raise them literate). *

That was tongue-in-cheek. Kind of.
What is the problem here ?. Men are better with money (maths, economics) and DIY (physics), whilst women generally talk more (English), coerece their husbands in to spending money (psychology) and raisng children (Biology, English - raise them literate). * That was tongue-in-cheek. Kind of. RuggerTyke

11:01pm Tue 10 Dec 13

RuggerTyke says...

And my typos there are criminal. Meh. *coerce; *raising
And my typos there are criminal. Meh. *coerce; *raising RuggerTyke

11:10pm Tue 10 Dec 13

mrs walker says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids.

They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe.

Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?
There's a difference between religious stories that existed as early explanations of phenomena that could not be understood - life, the universe and everything, as it were - and the sense of spirituality that people get from their religion.

Many people retain a sense of awe in the wonders of the world, and feel that there is a linking energy much vaster and greater than we are as individuals. Some people call it God, some people refer to it as the Universe; whatever your name for the concept of divine energy, viewed in this way science and religion are not exclusive. I know scientists who have active roles in their chosen church. Not all religious people are Creationists. Dr David Kelly, for example, was Baha'i.

Scientists know how little they know - it is the thirst to understand that makes them scientists - yet these days non-scientists view science with the blind faith that was previously reserved for priests, witch doctors and mystics. You see it all the time, in the choices we make, the mess that we make of our planet and our bodies, abusing what we have - and then, like true believers, put our faith in science to sort out our self-induced problems.

And then, when science can't fix it, we feel cheated, and blame the scientist for not knowing enough. With logic like that, we may as well blame the witch doctor.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: One reason why all schools need to be secular. How con, for example Creationists, be trusted to teach Science, when it so easily undermines the religious propaganda they are force feeding the kids. They can't say, on one hand that god created the world and everything in it, and at the same time teach evolution and the physics behind the creation of the universe. Are there any religions that are compatible with science (or the Truth as I also like to refer to it by)?[/p][/quote]There's a difference between religious stories that existed as early explanations of phenomena that could not be understood - life, the universe and everything, as it were - and the sense of spirituality that people get from their religion. Many people retain a sense of awe in the wonders of the world, and feel that there is a linking energy much vaster and greater than we are as individuals. Some people call it God, some people refer to it as the Universe; whatever your name for the concept of divine energy, viewed in this way science and religion are not exclusive. I know scientists who have active roles in their chosen church. Not all religious people are Creationists. Dr David Kelly, for example, was Baha'i. Scientists know how little they know - it is the thirst to understand that makes them scientists - yet these days non-scientists view science with the blind faith that was previously reserved for priests, witch doctors and mystics. You see it all the time, in the choices we make, the mess that we make of our planet and our bodies, abusing what we have - and then, like true believers, put our faith in science to sort out our self-induced problems. And then, when science can't fix it, we feel cheated, and blame the scientist for not knowing enough. With logic like that, we may as well blame the witch doctor. mrs walker

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree