Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
West Yorkshire Police issue advice over online fraud
9:00am Monday 9th December 2013 in News
West Yorkshire Police has offered ten tips to avoid being a victim of online shopping fraud.
One in four pounds spent may be a fraudulent transaction or as a result of fraud activity.
To keep fraudsters at bay this Christmas: 1. Trust your instincts – if an offer looks too good to be true it usually is.
2. Check the URL in the web browser. Don’t be fooled by spoof websites.
3. Ensure the website address begins ‘https’ at the payment stage.
4. Don’t access links in unsolicited emails.
5. Only deal with reputable sellers.
6. Avoid paying by money transfers direct to people you don’t know.
7. Never enter your PIN number online.
8. If your bid for an online auction item is unsuccessful, don’t be tempted to trade off-site.
9. Keep security software and firewalls up-to-date.
10. Keep receipts.