Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Fire rescue from attic bedroom in Bradford
6:45pm Friday 25th October 2013 in News
A man was rescued from an attic bedroom at a Bradford house after he became trapped by smoke from a fire caused by a discarded cigarette. The family of nine were woken by smoke alarms at the three-storey terraced house in Athol Road, Manningham, at 5.30am yesterday. Crews from Fairweather Green, Idle and Shipley attended and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus led the man in his 30s to safety. Steve Ockerby, watch commander at Fairweather Green station, said the man’s brother, also in his 30s, had tried to reach him and had put out the fire with buckets of water but had been beaten back by the choking smoke. Both men were taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary.