Open meeting to debate proposals for Sty Lane homes near Bingley (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Open meeting to debate proposals for Sty Lane homes near Bingley
Campaigners opposed to a large housing development near Bingley are planning an open public meeting to discuss a revised plan from developers presented at a consultation evening on Monday.
The protesters, including Shipley MP Philip Davies, have denounced the latest scheme for Sty Lane, Micklethwaite, from Bellway and Redrow Homes - launched while their original proposal is still being considered by the High Court.
“It’s an outrage and an abuse to keep coming back time and time again after their plans for this site have been defeated at every single turn,” Mr Davies said.
“The companies concerned should be absolutely ashamed and should take long hard looks at themselves.
“I will continue to support local residents in this and to do everything in my power to make sure this development does not go ahead.”
Mr Davies said he was aware that people had been thrown into “perpetual turmoil” by the battle over Sty Lane.
“I shall be looking to seek some change so we could limit the number of times developers can re-appeal,” he said. “And I shall be writing to the managing directors of these companies to express my disgust at what is going on.”
Terry Brown chairs the Greenhill Action Group which has fought the Sty Lane proposal throughout and said they were now planning a local consultation meeting of their own.
On Monday, Bellway and Redrow revealed a tweaked version of their original scheme for 440 homes with improved access for emergency vehicles via a retractable road bollard on Oakwood Drive.
A major reason communities and local government Secretary Eric Pickles gave for turning down the developers’ application was that an unpredictable swing bridge across the Leeds and Liverpool Canal was the only means of emergency access.
Bellway and Redrow will also replace the existing single bridge with a double carriageway version.
GAG’s Mr Brown said they would hold closed meetings in the next couple of weeks to see how the group would fight on.
He said: “One thing is costs as they can spend what they like – if they spend £100,000, then they just put £2,000 on the price of each house. And for groups like ours, it just come out of our pockets.
“We should get our costs refunded to us if we win. It really isn’t fair.
“What we hope to do is hold our own public consultation in the near future so the whole community can see it.”
A spokesman for the developers said they might comment on issues raised at a later stage of the planning process.
Comments are closed on this article.