Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Murder inquiry launched
A murder probe is under way following the death of a man who was shot and had acid sprayed over him in an attack at his Bradford home.
Police confirmed on Saturday that Barry Selby had died in hospital overnight.
His death means a 22-year-old man, who has been charged with trying to kill him, will now face a murder charge.
Three other men who have been arrested in connection with the attack remain on bail pending further inquiries.
The 50-year-old was attacked in a bedroom of his house in Rayleigh Street, East Bowling, in the early hours of Monday, October 14.
He lived there with his wife and 19-year-old daughter.
On Saturday, a single police officer stood outside the terrace house, which was still cordoned off with crime scene tape and had its front door boarded-up.
The family is thought to have been moved from the house, which was sealed off with metal sheeting on Saturday afternoon.
Mr Selby was being treated in a specialist burns unit and had undergone surgery for a gunshot wound to his leg.
A police spokesman said Mr Selby’s death meant Lee Calvert, who had been charged with his attempted murder, will now face a murder charge when he appears at Bradford Crown Court on November 1. Calvert, of Stirling Crescent, Holme Wood, Bradford, appeared before Bradford and Keighley Magistrates’ Court last Friday.
Prosecutor Linda Fowler had then told the court that Mr Barry suffered 50 per cent burns in the attack from a corrosive substance and was unlikely to survive.
Calvert was remanded in custody by magistrates until his hearing at the city’s crown court next month. Following the attack police increased patrols in the Rayleigh Street area.
Neighbours said the family had not been living in the area for long and described Mr Selby as a friendly man who always said hello.
One said the victim was “the nicest guy ever”.