6:52pm Monday 16th September 2013
A speedway promoter hoping to bring the motorsport back to Odsal has hit a setback.
Tony Mole, president of British Speedway, had been hoping to reintroduce the sport to the Provident Stadium in time for the 2014 season.
But he has now said this won’t be possible, because of a legal technicality.
Although Bradford Council granted planning permission for speedway at Odsal in May, Mr Mole said there was a clause in the stadium’s lease, currently held by the RFL, which did not permit the sport.
In a statement, he said: “This will require amendment by means of a negotiated legal document and there is insufficient time before the [Speedway] Premier League council meeting in October to achieve the necessary changes to the head lease and the sub lease. As a result, no league Speedway racing will be staged in the 2014 season.”
Mr Mole was not available to speak to the Telegraph & Argus yesterday, but an RFL spokesman confirmed they had received a letter from him saying he was not seeking to run speedway racing at Odsal during the 2014 season.
The spokesman also said Mr Mole had not yet had any face-to-face discussions with the RFL over his plan for the stadium.
While the final decision over whether to allow the motorsports to run from Odsal is understood to lie with the RFL as the leaseholder, Mr Mole has been discussing his plans with the stadium’s most famous residents, the Bradford Bulls.
Bulls co-chairman Gerry Sutcliffe said he thought the problem with the plan had been not a legal one, but a logistical one – that the new Coral stand was in the way of any potential track.
He said: “We were quite happy to do it, but the technical issues were too great.”
Talks are also under way to bring stock car racing back to Odsal after a 16-year absence.
Promoter Steve Rees is behind the bid and has joined forces with Mr Mole to progress their motorsport plans together.
The stock car racing bid was granted planning permission last month.
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group