Dunelm Mill wins planning permission

The former AMF Bowling site that is to become a Dunelm Mill store

The former AMF Bowling site that is to become a Dunelm Mill store

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , T&A Reporter

Keighley is set to get a jobs boost when a national homeware store opens a branch in a disused bowling alley – creating more than 60 jobs.

Dunelm Mills has been given the go-ahead by Bradford Council to transform the AMF Bowling building at Alston Retail Park into a store with a mezzanine floor and cafe.

The project will see a £1 million investment, and the company hopes the store will be open by next summer. It is expected to create about 20 full-time and 45 part-time jobs.

The bowling alley has been on the site since 1990, but closed in 2010 shortly after being sold to Garland Leisure Group.

The Lord Mayor of Bradford, Councillor Khadim Hussain (Lab), whose ward includes the retail park, said: “In the current climate, that many jobs being created really is welcome news “From a Council perspective I’m sure we’ll provide all the help we can.

“It is always good to see empty buildings being turned back into businesses and really reach their potential. It is a huge boost for Keighley, where we have a relatively high level of unemployment for young people. I hope they try and recruit locally.

“It is a credit to Keighley that they have chosen to open here and it sends out a positive message about the town to other businesses.

“Hopefully it will have a domino effect and encourage other groups to move here.”

A spokesman for Dunelm Mills said: “We are thrilled to be opening a Dunelm store in Keighley. We are also delighted to be able to provide new employment in the local area.

“The store is due to open next summer but this is dependent on the necessary building works that are being carried out by the owners of the retail park.”

A new store is due to open, on Keighley Retail park, this week. TK Maxx opens a branch on Thursday, creating about 50 jobs.

e-mail: chris.young@telegraphandargus.co.uk

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:16am Sun 15 Sep 13

bhuna156 says...

I like Dunelm Mills, It's a shame the bowling alley closed though - I met my wife there!
I like Dunelm Mills, It's a shame the bowling alley closed though - I met my wife there! bhuna156
  • Score: 6

8:54am Sun 15 Sep 13

albioff says...

Welcome as it is but the fact still remains that premises are vacant in the town centre and anything new coming along is always out of town. OK if you have a car but its the same all over the country, the trend for out of town.
Welcome as it is but the fact still remains that premises are vacant in the town centre and anything new coming along is always out of town. OK if you have a car but its the same all over the country, the trend for out of town. albioff
  • Score: -4

9:18am Sun 15 Sep 13

Joedavid says...

Another article says
"As previously reported, the percentage of empty shops in Bradford city centre has increased from 17.15 per cent to 18.17 per cent."
How is this figure obtained because a visit to the City centre visually it looks double or maybe three times that number.
Another article says "As previously reported, the percentage of empty shops in Bradford city centre has increased from 17.15 per cent to 18.17 per cent." How is this figure obtained because a visit to the City centre visually it looks double or maybe three times that number. Joedavid
  • Score: -3

10:28am Sun 15 Sep 13

Albion. says...

albioff wrote:
Welcome as it is but the fact still remains that premises are vacant in the town centre and anything new coming along is always out of town. OK if you have a car but its the same all over the country, the trend for out of town.
There are some good and very frequent buses passing there. There are some town centre developments in the pipeline.
[quote][p][bold]albioff[/bold] wrote: Welcome as it is but the fact still remains that premises are vacant in the town centre and anything new coming along is always out of town. OK if you have a car but its the same all over the country, the trend for out of town.[/p][/quote]There are some good and very frequent buses passing there. There are some town centre developments in the pipeline. Albion.
  • Score: 6

11:52am Sun 15 Sep 13

Raj2121 says...

Why put it in the t&a if its opening in keighley..
Not interested at all. Tell us whats happening in bradford..
Why put it in the t&a if its opening in keighley.. Not interested at all. Tell us whats happening in bradford.. Raj2121
  • Score: -19

11:53am Sun 15 Sep 13

Albion. says...

Raj2121 wrote:
Why put it in the t&a if its opening in keighley..
Not interested at all. Tell us whats happening in bradford..
Nothing.
[quote][p][bold]Raj2121[/bold] wrote: Why put it in the t&a if its opening in keighley.. Not interested at all. Tell us whats happening in bradford..[/p][/quote]Nothing. Albion.
  • Score: 13

12:25pm Sun 15 Sep 13

baccy2410 says...

A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here,
wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame baccy2410
  • Score: 3

1:16pm Sun 15 Sep 13

Ted Evans says...

baccy2410 wrote:
A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here,
wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
Dunelm Mills already have a store in Bradford, why would they want to open another one there?
[quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]Dunelm Mills already have a store in Bradford, why would they want to open another one there? Ted Evans
  • Score: 4

1:19pm Sun 15 Sep 13

Ted Evans says...

albioff wrote:
Welcome as it is but the fact still remains that premises are vacant in the town centre and anything new coming along is always out of town. OK if you have a car but its the same all over the country, the trend for out of town.
Could be worse, it could be one of those scruffy fleapit Bazaars.
[quote][p][bold]albioff[/bold] wrote: Welcome as it is but the fact still remains that premises are vacant in the town centre and anything new coming along is always out of town. OK if you have a car but its the same all over the country, the trend for out of town.[/p][/quote]Could be worse, it could be one of those scruffy fleapit Bazaars. Ted Evans
  • Score: 8

2:01pm Sun 15 Sep 13

rosesrwhite says...

Raj2121 wrote:
Why put it in the t&a if its opening in keighley..
Not interested at all. Tell us whats happening in bradford..
We all live in the Bradford district the paper isn't just written for your benefit you know!
[quote][p][bold]Raj2121[/bold] wrote: Why put it in the t&a if its opening in keighley.. Not interested at all. Tell us whats happening in bradford..[/p][/quote]We all live in the Bradford district the paper isn't just written for your benefit you know! rosesrwhite
  • Score: 13

7:41pm Sun 15 Sep 13

MisterBD says...

Raj2121 wrote:
Why put it in the t&a if its opening in keighley..
Not interested at all. Tell us whats happening in bradford..
I'll tell you, all closing down, money been wasted, no hope , no future, that about covers it , please let me know if I've missed anything
[quote][p][bold]Raj2121[/bold] wrote: Why put it in the t&a if its opening in keighley.. Not interested at all. Tell us whats happening in bradford..[/p][/quote]I'll tell you, all closing down, money been wasted, no hope , no future, that about covers it , please let me know if I've missed anything MisterBD
  • Score: 3

7:44pm Sun 15 Sep 13

MisterBD says...

baccy2410 wrote:
A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here,
wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops
[quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops MisterBD
  • Score: -1

7:45pm Sun 15 Sep 13

MisterBD says...

“From a Council perspective I’m sure we’ll provide all the help we can" magic brown envelope time ?
“From a Council perspective I’m sure we’ll provide all the help we can" magic brown envelope time ? MisterBD
  • Score: -2

9:53pm Sun 15 Sep 13

schroeder says...

baccy2410 wrote:
A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here,
wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
The fact you don't even know Bradford already had one of these stores shows how little you know about the city.
[quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]The fact you don't even know Bradford already had one of these stores shows how little you know about the city. schroeder
  • Score: 2

10:17pm Sun 15 Sep 13

schroeder says...

schroeder wrote:
baccy2410 wrote:
A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here,
wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
The fact you don't even know Bradford already had one of these stores shows how little you know about the city.
Why do the T&A always report when a store opens in Keighley or anywhere else in the district but not when something opens in Bradford?

I don't remember reading anything about Harveys. Flirt, Als Dime Bar or City Florists opening in the city centre... but they always get excited when ever anything closes.

Providing the readers with what they want to read I suppose...
[quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]The fact you don't even know Bradford already had one of these stores shows how little you know about the city.[/p][/quote]Why do the T&A always report when a store opens in Keighley or anywhere else in the district but not when something opens in Bradford? I don't remember reading anything about Harveys. Flirt, Als Dime Bar or City Florists opening in the city centre... but they always get excited when ever anything closes. Providing the readers with what they want to read I suppose... schroeder
  • Score: -2

10:18pm Sun 15 Sep 13

schroeder says...

Why do the T&A always report when a store opens in Keighley or anywhere else in the district but not when something opens in Bradford?

I don't remember reading anything about Harveys. Flirt, Als Dime Bar or City Florists opening in the city centre... but they always get excited when ever anything closes.

Providing the readers with what they want to read I suppose...
Why do the T&A always report when a store opens in Keighley or anywhere else in the district but not when something opens in Bradford? I don't remember reading anything about Harveys. Flirt, Als Dime Bar or City Florists opening in the city centre... but they always get excited when ever anything closes. Providing the readers with what they want to read I suppose... schroeder
  • Score: -1

7:22am Mon 16 Sep 13

Mr Bradford says...

MisterBD wrote:
baccy2410 wrote:
A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here,
wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops
More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.
[quote][p][bold]MisterBD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops[/p][/quote]More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong. Mr Bradford
  • Score: -4

8:07am Mon 16 Sep 13

SinnerSaint says...

Mr Bradford wrote:
MisterBD wrote:
baccy2410 wrote:
A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here,
wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops
More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.
Source? You've used that one before and been asked to back it up but haven't.

I go to Harrogate regularly and it's absolutely rammed at weekends. If you have any evidence to support your claim (which I doubt) I'm interested to see how the figures have been massaged to make this comparison.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MisterBD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops[/p][/quote]More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.[/p][/quote]Source? You've used that one before and been asked to back it up but haven't. I go to Harrogate regularly and it's absolutely rammed at weekends. If you have any evidence to support your claim (which I doubt) I'm interested to see how the figures have been massaged to make this comparison. SinnerSaint
  • Score: 4

8:42am Mon 16 Sep 13

Farsley Bantam says...

SinnerSaint wrote:
Mr Bradford wrote:
MisterBD wrote:
baccy2410 wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops
More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.
Source? You've used that one before and been asked to back it up but haven't. I go to Harrogate regularly and it's absolutely rammed at weekends. If you have any evidence to support your claim (which I doubt) I'm interested to see how the figures have been massaged to make this comparison.
I imagine the Foster Square Retail Parks are somewhat contentiously included in the 'city centre' figure but still I would be very surprised if more is spent in Bradford than Harrogate.
[quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MisterBD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops[/p][/quote]More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.[/p][/quote]Source? You've used that one before and been asked to back it up but haven't. I go to Harrogate regularly and it's absolutely rammed at weekends. If you have any evidence to support your claim (which I doubt) I'm interested to see how the figures have been massaged to make this comparison.[/p][/quote]I imagine the Foster Square Retail Parks are somewhat contentiously included in the 'city centre' figure but still I would be very surprised if more is spent in Bradford than Harrogate. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 5

10:05am Mon 16 Sep 13

SinnerSaint says...

When I googled it, one of his previous similar comments on here came top of the list. There was no evidence on that one either although I imagine a frantic and prolongued search will unearth a 15 year old document from somewhere...

All I can say is that Harrogate centre is absolutely full of good shops (very few empty) and a glut of restaurants to cater for the shoppers and well Bradford centre isn't. On that basis it's hard to see how Mr Bradford's comment can be correct.
When I googled it, one of his previous similar comments on here came top of the list. There was no evidence on that one either although I imagine a frantic and prolongued search will unearth a 15 year old document from somewhere... All I can say is that Harrogate centre is absolutely full of good shops (very few empty) and a glut of restaurants to cater for the shoppers and well Bradford centre isn't. On that basis it's hard to see how Mr Bradford's comment can be correct. SinnerSaint
  • Score: 5

11:12am Mon 16 Sep 13

Albion. says...

Mr Bradford wrote:
MisterBD wrote:
baccy2410 wrote:
A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here,
wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops
More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.
Oh yes! It's absolutely booming! Thank F*** for the Hyperlink!
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MisterBD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops[/p][/quote]More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.[/p][/quote]Oh yes! It's absolutely booming! Thank F*** for the Hyperlink! Albion.
  • Score: 5

11:48am Mon 16 Sep 13

SinnerSaint says...

I think there is a huge lack of strategy within the planning and regeneration departments. They seem to come up with single ideas which are usually expensive vanity projects rather than take a look at the current landscape of the city centre as a whole and come up with an overall plan which could then be phased in over a period of say ten years.

Targeting individual areas shows poor leadership and direction and demonstrates a lack of ideas, innovation and general understanding of the modern day requirements of a city like Bradford.
I think there is a huge lack of strategy within the planning and regeneration departments. They seem to come up with single ideas which are usually expensive vanity projects rather than take a look at the current landscape of the city centre as a whole and come up with an overall plan which could then be phased in over a period of say ten years. Targeting individual areas shows poor leadership and direction and demonstrates a lack of ideas, innovation and general understanding of the modern day requirements of a city like Bradford. SinnerSaint
  • Score: 1

12:04pm Mon 16 Sep 13

SinnerSaint says...

Thinking about it, I remember seeing something along those lines a few years back - a pictorial representation of Bradford centre in the future. I wonder what happened to it?
Thinking about it, I remember seeing something along those lines a few years back - a pictorial representation of Bradford centre in the future. I wonder what happened to it? SinnerSaint
  • Score: 0

11:20pm Wed 18 Sep 13

MisterBD says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
SinnerSaint wrote:
Mr Bradford wrote:
MisterBD wrote:
baccy2410 wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame
who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops
More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.
Source? You've used that one before and been asked to back it up but haven't. I go to Harrogate regularly and it's absolutely rammed at weekends. If you have any evidence to support your claim (which I doubt) I'm interested to see how the figures have been massaged to make this comparison.
I imagine the Foster Square Retail Parks are somewhat contentiously included in the 'city centre' figure but still I would be very surprised if more is spent in Bradford than Harrogate.
well there is certainly more Eastern European crime in Bradford !
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SinnerSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MisterBD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]baccy2410[/bold] wrote: A kick in the teeth for Bradford again, no one wanting to set up here, wonder why? Westfield saga, high rates or parking problems? or all of them. I think Bradford as a centre for shopping has declined too far and is not retrievable and we all know who to blame[/p][/quote]who on earth would want to invest money in Bradford? no business would when the "local people" do not spend money in local shops[/p][/quote]More money is spent in shops in Bradford city centre than in Harrogate, and a lot more businesses have been opening in Bradford than Keighley recently, so you're wrong.[/p][/quote]Source? You've used that one before and been asked to back it up but haven't. I go to Harrogate regularly and it's absolutely rammed at weekends. If you have any evidence to support your claim (which I doubt) I'm interested to see how the figures have been massaged to make this comparison.[/p][/quote]I imagine the Foster Square Retail Parks are somewhat contentiously included in the 'city centre' figure but still I would be very surprised if more is spent in Bradford than Harrogate.[/p][/quote]well there is certainly more Eastern European crime in Bradford ! MisterBD
  • Score: 0

11:18pm Sat 21 Sep 13

Storck says...

Joedavid wrote:
Another article says
"As previously reported, the percentage of empty shops in Bradford city centre has increased from 17.15 per cent to 18.17 per cent."
How is this figure obtained because a visit to the City centre visually it looks double or maybe three times that number.
It probably is a lot higher in parts of the city centre but then those areas are balanced out by places where all the shops are used, eg Arndale which has a large number of shops in a small space.
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: Another article says "As previously reported, the percentage of empty shops in Bradford city centre has increased from 17.15 per cent to 18.17 per cent." How is this figure obtained because a visit to the City centre visually it looks double or maybe three times that number.[/p][/quote]It probably is a lot higher in parts of the city centre but then those areas are balanced out by places where all the shops are used, eg Arndale which has a large number of shops in a small space. Storck
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree