Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Inquest hears how David Hockney's assistant drank drain cleaner
An assistant to Bradford artist David Hockney died as a result of misadventure when he drank acid after taking a range of drugs and alcohol, a coroner has ruled.
Dominic Elliott, 23, died after drinking a household drain cleaner made up of concentrated sulphuric acid at the painter’s home in Bridlington in March.
A two-day inquest has heard how Mr Elliott drank the liquid, which caused serious damage to his mouth and throat before perforating his stomach, after “partying” with his partner John Fitzherbert and taking drugs including cocaine and ecstasy as well as alcohol and cannabis.
Mr Fitzherbert, 48, was Hockney’s long-term partner for 20 years and still lives at the artist’s home and runs his domestic affairs.
Humberside Police confirmed an investigation is continuing into possible drugs offences following Mr Elliott’s death.
A spokesman said a 48-year-old man and a 23-year-old man who were arrested on suspicion of drugs offences remained on bail as inquiries continued.
He said no-one had been charged.