Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Friends and family wish dog attack victim Luca good luck on web
A Facebook page has been set up to show community support for a 13-year-old boy seriously injured in a frenzied dog attack.
The boy, named locally as Luca, was bitten on the neck as the animal savaged him on the kitchen floor last Sunday after dragging him downstairs in a home he was visiting in Frank Street, Great Horton.
A page has now been set up on social media website Facebook in support of Luca by the Joshua Project, a Bradford-based charity he is involved with.
Luca could be home today following successful surgery. His injuries are believed to include damage to his throat, shoulder and arm as the dog attacked him. It is not known if his injuries are life-changing, but they are understood to be very serious.
Yesterday relative Tanya Ratcliffe posted on the Facebook page: “Luca is out of ICU. His operation yesterday went well and he’s well and truly on the right path to recovery. Thank you for all your support and kind messages it means so much to his family and close friends.”
Another message from Yvette Barrow said: “I’ve just had the best news ever, Luca’s operation went better than planned and hopefully he’ll be home today his grandma thinks. We’re so pleased for you little man and can’t wait to see you it’s going to be a tough road love but we’ll all be there to help you.”
The Facebook page, Respect Luca, was set up by Rich Jones from the Joshua Project.
It says: “This group has been opened to let Luca know how many people love and care about him! Please leave a message of respect here.”
Another message reads: “Just hung out with Luca for a bit. He’s doing so well, fighting hard, as you’d expect.
“The doctors are doing a fantastic job fixing him up. He hasn’t seen these posts yet but he knows you’ve all been posting.”
Luca was rescued from his horrific ordeal by neighbour Dean Crowe who said the dog had lost control. Mr Crowe, 37, had told the teenager to play dead as he attempted to rescue him from the dog’s clutches. Mr Crowe battered the dog with a shovel before armed police officers shot it dead.
Police are still investigating the incident which happened on Sunday evening.
A spokesman said: “It has now been established that the dog involved in the Frank Street incident was not listed as a breed of dangerous dog as defined by the Dangerous Dog Act 1991, and that no offences were committed as the attack happened on private property.”
Earlier this week a mother thought the same dog had attacked her son days earlier.
Donna Gilpin said she begged police to destroy the dog after her nine-year-old son Callum was bitten on Sunday, August 11, when playing near his home on Nene Street, on the Canterbury Estate.