Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Shipley Pleasure Ground site could be used for housing
A “part of Bradford’s history” could be replaced by nine homes if plans to build on the site of an Edwardian fairground get to green light next week.
The fate of the site where Shipley Glen Pleasure Ground operated until 2005 will be decided at a Bradford Council planning meeting on Wednesday. Council officers say the application should be approved.
Yorparks Limited wants to develop the Prod Lane site at Shipley Glen in Baildon, but people in the area have voiced concerns about over development of it, the loss of parking for visitors to the popular area and the adverse impact on the Saltaire World Heritage Site.
After the fun fair closed in 2005, Saltaire resident Eddie Lawler sought assurances from the Council that it would not be used to build on.
He was told no planning application had been received, but if any was lodged, it would be decided on its merits, as with any other.
Mr Lawler is now objecting to the plans and wants to see another fairground set up instead.
“Anyone from the Bradford and Shipley area with memories of the pleasure this site gave to them and their ancestors will, I hope, protest at this plan and ask their councillors to shout out loud and long against it,” he said.
The fairground shut because Alan Breeze who had run it for 20 years said the rent was too high.
Mr Lawler said: “If the owner now proposed a reasonable rent, someone would again run a funfair, which complements the Tramway which by hook or by crook and by real local commitment, has survived to this day. It’s part of Bradford’s history. It’s everybody’s childhood.
“Everybody who comes from round here remembers it with great affection.”
Richard Freeman, of Shipley Glen Tramway, which has a station next to the land, said: “I’m really sad about it, but you can’t stop progress. the land’s not been used for many years.
“People still come and ask us if the little fairground is still open. Everybody remembers it. It knocked about ten per cent off our passenger figures when it closed.”
He said he would be delighted if a fairground was to be reinstated.
Councillor Debbie Davies (Con, Baildon) has objected to the plans.
She has fond memories of the fairground where her son celebrated his second birthday.
“I don’t want to see it happen, but I think at some point it looks like it will be built on and it is a mess at the moment,” she said.
Yorpark Ltd lodged the planning application for the nine homes and integral garages, which 21 people objected to, but Council officers recommend the plan go ahead, subject to conditions.
A report by the company’s agent Seven Architecture said: “Yorparks pride themselves on their commitment to public consultation and continually strive to ensure the community is involved in shaping their schemes.”
It refers to consultation held in May which more than 30 people attended and outlines changes to the plans following feedback.
The plans will be discussed by Keighley and Shipley Area Planning Panel at 10am on Wednesday at Keighley Town Hall.