Garfield the cat survives 20 minute spin around in a tumble dryer (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Garfield the cat survives 20 minute spin around in a tumble dryer
Garfield the cat put his owners in a spin when they realised he had been trapped in the tumble dryer for 20 minutes.
The five-year-old ginger Tom, who lives with his family in Southfield Road, Little Horton, snuck in with the wet warm washing when his unsuspecting owner Nicki Bearton's back was turned.
It was incredible he survived, according to vet Terry Kinvey, whose colleages helped save him.
Miss Bearton said: “I’d washed my boots and put them in the drier with a few towels but not switched it on. I'd only turned by back for a minute to check on the kids then started it going. We kept hearing a banging sound and just laughed about it being my noisy boots - until there was a strange smell.”
It was Miss Bearton’s 14-year-old daughter Emily who tracked the smell to the drier, opened its door and to her horror Garfield's tail flopped out.
“She just screamed and shouted. We thought he was dead he was in such a horrid mess but when I gently lifted him out I could see he was panting quietly,” added Miss Bearton.
After a frantic Internet search for a vets that was open on a Sunday, the family found Yorkshire Vets in Thornbury and made a mercy dash to get help.
Mr Kinvey said: “Garfield was traumatised. I've been qualified for 38 years and never seen anything like this – it was an almost unsurvivable experience for him.
“He’ll certainly have used up one more of his lives.
“When he came to us he was concussed, couldn't stand up or walk, was very dazed and bleeding but he's made it and is doing well and we'redelighted. He's a lovely cat!”
Garfield was back at home with his owners a day later and is lapping up the attention of his family who are happy to have him back.
Miss Bearton said: “He’s getting spoiled rotten. He’s our little baby. I saved him from a skip when he was about five weeks old and hand-reared him.
“You hear about these freak things happening to pets but don't think it will ever happen to you. It’s a lesson to everyone with animals at home to always check driers and washers first!"