Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Smoke alarms warning after idle fire
5:10pm Tuesday 12th March 2013 in News
Firefighters are calling for all homeowners to get smoke alarms fitted after one woman’s lucky escape.
A duvet caught light in a linen cupboard at a home in Highfield Avenue, Idle, on Monday. Although the home didn’t have working smoke alarms, the woman managed to get out safely.
Firefighters from Idle and Rawdon stations were called out at 6.50am.
Idle Watch Commander Adrian Pilling said: “It was a very small fire in a linen cupboard off a bedroom.
“A duvet in a plastic bag was stood against a light fitting. Over time the light fitting has got warm enough to melt the plastic and ignite the duvet.
“It was on fire, just in a small way. We took it outside and extinguished it outside.
“They didn’t have working smoke alarms so we put them up.”
He urged all homeowners to protect themselves by getting smoke detectors fitted.