Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Thornbury family flees home as fuse box catches fire
8:44pm Friday 8th March 2013 in News
A family-of-six fled a house fire that had broken out in their cellar.
Firefighters from Bradford fire station were called to Leeds Old Road, Thornbury, Bradford, at 12.30am yesterday.
Watch Commander Steve Haley said by the time they got there, the family were already outside.
He said: “The residents were all out. They knew it was a fuse box in the cellar that had ignited.
“They were alerted by the power going off. Everything went off and they went to investigate which fuse had gone and they saw the fuse box unit was on fire.
“The fire was just contained to the basement but it took some time to locate it because cellars are obviously full of rubbish. The ground floor was getting to the point of being smoke-logged.”
He said the family also had working smoke detectors, and urged all householders to check theirs were functioning.