Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Lucky escape for feline stuck up the chimney at new owners’ home
We’ve all heard of cats getting stuck up trees, but this ginger moggy used one of its nine lives when it vanished up a chimney.
A gas fire had to be pulled out after curious Tuco got himself in bother at his family’s home in Wilsden.
The pet fled through the fireplace and up the chimney. He would not be tempted down despite offers of treats and tuna from 14-year-old Lauren Gladstone who had seen his hind legs vanish as she walked into the lounge at about 3.30pm.
Lauren’s parents, Rachel and Alistair, enlisted the help of a Gas Safe-registered friend who removed the fire and saved Tuco, who was stuck for three hours.
The family has only had the pet for two weeks.
Mrs Gladstone said: “He was originally a rescue cat and a friend could no longer look after him, so we said we’d see how we got on with a pet.
“After three days he needed an ear operation – his ear swelled up and he needed a drain, which was a large vet’s bill. So that was the first little incident, then a few days later he’d gone up the chimney.”
Tuco was black bright when he was rescued and picked up an ear infection during his escapades so it was back to the vets for an injection and tablets.
Mrs Gladstone said: “We’ve not really got to know him yet as he’s spent all his time at the vets or in the chimney.”
The family is considering renaming the cat Sooty.
“We’re just waiting for the next lot of cat chaos now. Let’s see what week three brings,” Mrs Gladstone said.
The fire was refitted, along with a grate to stop further skyward adventures, by Ray Baxter.
Mr Baxter, of R and B Properties, said: “It’s most unusual. I’ve never come across anything like this before. It’s a first for me.”
Tuco may not have learnt his lesson, though – he tried to scamper up the chimney, when the fire was lit, as Mr Baxter was working yesterday morning.