Bradford Council plans £1.5m scheme to cut congestion in Keighley town centre (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Bradford Council plans £1.5m scheme to cut congestion in Keighley town centre
9:00am Wednesday 6th March 2013 in News
A £1.5 million scheme is being planned to combat traffic congestion in central Keighley.
The Bradford Council project involves creating a one-way system along the triangle formed by East Parade, Hanover Street and Cavendish Street.
Keighley town councillor Graham Mitchell, chairman of the watch and transport committee, said the Traffic Advisory Panel, established by the town council, had been recommending this type of solution for two years. “The logic is that Keighley is not going to get a bypass, therefore we need to try and make the movement of vehicles inside the town flow more easily,” he said.
A report to the Council's executive, which meets on Tuesday, states that a contribution of just over £1.1m to the one-way scheme could be made from funds provided by the former Regional Transport Board. This funding would support contributions already made from the West Yorkshire Local Transport Plan and a proposed town centre development.
The report also outlined that a working group of officers from the Council, Metro, Network Rail and Northern Rail has been established to develop short, medium and long-term interventions that will ultimately transform Bradford Interchange and Forster Square to reflect their status as major gateways to a regional city.