Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Flat is saved by smoke alarm
A pensioner went out and left a pan on the hob, causing a fire at her flat.
Fire crews had to force entry to the first-floor property on Spring Head Road, Thornton, at about 2.30pm yesterday.
Ronnie Goldwater, watch commander at Fairweather Green fire station, said: “The lady went out with her daughter. She had got distracted somehow and left the pan on the stove.
“Fortunately the smoke alarm picked it up or it could have been a lot worse.”
Mr Goldwater said the flat was smoke-logged.