Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Man 'lucky to be alive' after Manningham fire
3:25pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 in News
Firefighters say a bed-bound man is lucky to be alive after he was rescued from a bed blaze sparked by a cigarette today.
The man in his 50s, who has recently suffered a stroke, was dragged to safety by his partner after his bed caught fire when he fell asleep while smoking at his flat on Woolcomb Court, Manningham, at 1.10pm.
Fairweather Green watch manager Ronnie Goldwater said it was a ‘miracle’ the woman, also in her 50s, had been able to get him out of the ground-floor property after being alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm.
“This could have easily cost him his life,” said Mr Goldwater.
Crews from Fairweather Green and Idle were called to the property, which was left smoke-logged by the blaze.
The man and woman were both taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary suffering from smoke inhalation but were not seriously hurt.