Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Family flee as blaze sweeps through Cleckheaton house
A family-of-four had to flee a fierce blaze at their home caused by a child playing with a lighter early today.
The fire, which started in a bedroom at a house in Whitechapel Road, Cleckheaton, caused serious damage to the property.
There were no working smoke alarms in the house, but the young girl who started the blaze alerted the adults in the house to the emergency.
The family of two adults and two children was able to escape unhurt as the flames took hold.
Firemen from Cleckheaton and Odsal arrived to find the property well alight at about 4.45am.
Watch manager Damian Cameron, of Cleckheaton fire station, said: "It could have been fatal. We were called to a bedroom fire caused by a child with a lighter.
"There were two adults, two children and a dog who all had to flee the property.
"There were no working smoke detectors but the child alerted everyone. They are very lucky to be alive."