Homes in Keighley were left without power after a freak lightning bolt struck a wooden electricity pole.
Bingley firefighters were called to Otley Road, in Eldwick, last night after reports of sparks being seen in a field.
When they arrived they found that 8 ft of an electricity pole had fallen onto cable lines below it.
Firefighters said that the pole had been burned right through by what they believe must have been a lightning strike.
They said that Northern Grid were aware of the incident and were at the scene last night carrying out repairs.