Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
‘Daughter would not be able to attend classes'
Proposed changes to Eldwick Primary School’s catchment area have been labelled “ridiculous” and “strange” by angry parents and local councillors.
Consultation is under way on expansion plans and changes to priority areas which would guarantee places for some local children at the highly-rated school.
But other prospective parents such as Ambrose and Lynsey Griffiths fear they could be barred from access to the school, which is just a stone’s throw from their door.
“It’s literally round the corner and only three minutes’ walk,” said Mr Griffiths, 33, a business development manager for British Gas.
“That was the main reason we moved here in 2010 and suddenly we might be out of the catchment area,” said Mr Griffiths.
Gilstead Court is on the cut-off line of the proposed, smaller area for priority pupils.
“We would have to try and get into Trinity Primary, down a one-in-seven hill to Bingley and across the dual carriageway. It would mean at least a ten-minute drive each way,” said Mrs Griffiths, 31, a business analyst for Hallmark Cards in Bradford.
Mr Griffiths has written to Bradford Council’s School Organisation and Place Planning department to object to the boundary changes.
The closing date for objections is Friday, February 1.
Bingley councillor David Heseltine (Con) said he was strongly opposed to altering the catchment area.
Conservative education spokesman Roger L’Amie (Baildon, Con) said he would take up the matter with council officers.
Executive member for Children and Young People’s Services, Coun Ralph Berry, said hopes of expanding schools to cater for all needs had been hit by cuts in capital spending.
“We are consulting on Eldwick as we’ve got to balance things to produce a reasonable scheme. I shall be making sure the officers look into all of this,” he said.