Bargain-hunters swooping on HMV in Bradford

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , T&A Reporter

Shoppers in Bradford flocked to stricken retail chain HMV in search of a bargain.

The shop, on Broadway, had a steady stream of customers yesterday, with many taking advantage of a 25 per cent-off sale following news the company had gone into administration after poor Christmas sales.

The mini-rush came as bosses at the troubled firm said they were “convinced” they could secure a future for the business.

Chief executive Trevor Moore insisted there was a place for HMV on the high street and said he was “confident that we will find a solution”.

While it did not reveal its “torrid” festive performance, HMV said sales declines remained around the 10.2 per cent level seen in the half year to October 26.

Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.”

Shoppers blamed HMV’s demise on the internet and the rise of online retailers such as Amazon selling cheaper DVDs and CDs.

One man, who did not want to be named, said: “It is a shame another store is closing down on the high street in Bradford.

“People are buying things online instead.

“But the problem with that is will these organisations, like Amazon, selling cheap things online, then push up their prices once there is no competition on the high street and they have control of the market?”

HMV is one of only five retail businesses left on Broadway – described as an eyesore and a ghost town by shoppers – alongside Bon Marche, Superdrug, Greggs and Timpson.

Jean Coyle, 64, relief manager at shoe repair and key-cutting firm Timpson, said she was unsure how long the company would remain on Broadway.

She added: “There is nowhere to go shopping in Bradford. We have got so much to offer, such as museums, City Park and ice skating, but people want shops. I think every shop in Bradford is struggling.

“We have been lucky and have been holding our heads above water. But the area is going down and down.”

All of HMV’s 239 outlets – which employ some 4,500 workers – will remain open while administrator Deloitte attempts to find a buyer for some or all of the business, although it is likely that there will be widespread store closures as a result of the collapse.

 

“It is incredibly sad. HMV is fantastic, but people want a different shopping experience. The city centre shopping experience is no longer what it was, and this particular area is falling to bits.”
Nick Farrar, 63, of Haworth, a dry stone waller.“I cannot say I’m surprised. I used to go in all the time. But now I do all my shopping of this kind online. I didn’t know it was in trouble, but I will try and get a few bargains now.” Georgina Darling, 20, Bradford.“I am not surprised with everything online. It is only a matter of time before other shops go. This area is a ghost town. I have lived here for four months and it has always been empty.”
Aaron Darling, 23, Bradford, a factory worker
“I am surprised. I don’t really go to HMV that often, but I think people will be pretty annoyed. There’s a couple of things I have been after for ages, so I’m going to take advantage.”Siobhan Naylor, 21, Bradford, a student
“It is a pretty bad thing. It is the last major retailer of DVDs and CDs in Bradford. I know you can download them but I would rather buy it off the shelf. If you don’t have the internet, you’re stuffed.”
James Donegan, 35, Clayton, Bradford
“It is a shame, but it is not like a record shop used to be. Long gone are the times when you go in and pick up a vinyl. Also, lots of people shop online and HMV was slow on the uptake.”
Dave Schofield, 48, Bradford, local government officer

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:29am Wed 16 Jan 13

Joedavid says...

"HMV is one of only five retail businesses left on Broadway – described as an eyesore and a ghost town by shoppers "
You say it all T&A.
"HMV is one of only five retail businesses left on Broadway – described as an eyesore and a ghost town by shoppers " You say it all T&A. Joedavid
  • Score: 0

9:18am Wed 16 Jan 13

MontyLeMar says...

Joedavid wrote:
"HMV is one of only five retail businesses left on Broadway – described as an eyesore and a ghost town by shoppers "
You say it all T&A.
Maybe they should just bulldoze this bit too and mix it in with Westfield, when it gets built - if ever?
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: "HMV is one of only five retail businesses left on Broadway – described as an eyesore and a ghost town by shoppers " You say it all T&A.[/p][/quote]Maybe they should just bulldoze this bit too and mix it in with Westfield, when it gets built - if ever? MontyLeMar
  • Score: 0

9:18am Wed 16 Jan 13

angry bradfordian says...

I stopped using the HMV when the stopped prioritising music about 10 years ago and stuck it in the corner of the shop.
First it was 80% DVDs and then they filled the shop with mobile phones. Why would I buy a phone there rather than a dedicated mobile shop?
The CD section has become so small that it doesn't offer much more of a selection than Tesco do and have very little niche music.

They are blaming the internet for their demise, but I only used the internet because I couldn't get what I want in their shop!
Now I'm not using Amazon because of their tax policies I'm having to go to other cities with independent record shops that seem to be booming.
I stopped using the HMV when the stopped prioritising music about 10 years ago and stuck it in the corner of the shop. First it was 80% DVDs and then they filled the shop with mobile phones. Why would I buy a phone there rather than a dedicated mobile shop? The CD section has become so small that it doesn't offer much more of a selection than Tesco do and have very little niche music. They are blaming the internet for their demise, but I only used the internet because I couldn't get what I want in their shop! Now I'm not using Amazon because of their tax policies I'm having to go to other cities with independent record shops that seem to be booming. angry bradfordian
  • Score: 0

10:21am Wed 16 Jan 13

Avro says...

How some are easily duped. The 25% sale was already on BEFORE the anouncement of Administration!

No stock clearance has been anounced but you can almost bet that HMV Bradford will be one of the first anounced for closure.

What with Jessops gone and HMV about to go, Broadway has become a pariah for the few that remain..

Waterstones next??
How some are easily duped. The 25% sale was already on BEFORE the anouncement of Administration! No stock clearance has been anounced but you can almost bet that HMV Bradford will be one of the first anounced for closure. What with Jessops gone and HMV about to go, Broadway has become a pariah for the few that remain.. Waterstones next?? Avro
  • Score: 0

10:23am Wed 16 Jan 13

Avro says...

How about an update from Westfield on progress???
How about an update from Westfield on progress??? Avro
  • Score: 0

10:26am Wed 16 Jan 13

MontyLeMar says...

Avro wrote:
How some are easily duped. The 25% sale was already on BEFORE the anouncement of Administration!

No stock clearance has been anounced but you can almost bet that HMV Bradford will be one of the first anounced for closure.

What with Jessops gone and HMV about to go, Broadway has become a pariah for the few that remain..

Waterstones next??
I know what you mean, but I don't think pariah is suitable in this context. Complete, desolate wasteground may be more accurate. Either way it's a shambles and the council ought to do more to attract businesses to the area or bulldoze the lot and turn it into Westfield Mark II !
[quote][p][bold]Avro[/bold] wrote: How some are easily duped. The 25% sale was already on BEFORE the anouncement of Administration! No stock clearance has been anounced but you can almost bet that HMV Bradford will be one of the first anounced for closure. What with Jessops gone and HMV about to go, Broadway has become a pariah for the few that remain.. Waterstones next??[/p][/quote]I know what you mean, but I don't think pariah is suitable in this context. Complete, desolate wasteground may be more accurate. Either way it's a shambles and the council ought to do more to attract businesses to the area or bulldoze the lot and turn it into Westfield Mark II ! MontyLeMar
  • Score: 0

11:28am Wed 16 Jan 13

Joedavid says...

Back in the good old days I would have said that the triangle Broadway / Leeds Road there of the Ritz/ABC/Cannon cinema was the busiest area in Bradford.
Back in the good old days I would have said that the triangle Broadway / Leeds Road there of the Ritz/ABC/Cannon cinema was the busiest area in Bradford. Joedavid
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Outraged English Subject says...

Bulldoze the lot! Change the BD post codes for LS, no need for the overpaid and inept councillors, property prices shall increase because of the LS post codes, sell up and move.
Bulldoze the lot! Change the BD post codes for LS, no need for the overpaid and inept councillors, property prices shall increase because of the LS post codes, sell up and move. Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 0

12:30pm Wed 16 Jan 13

The obvious says...

Coming soon

Another empty shop in the city.

Let's see who the usual bunch of negative people blame for this closure.

Secondly let's await the sinking of the news and evaluation from the perspective of the blind Bradford tint wearing crowd.

I wonder how much rates the council will charge for this empty shop to be put in use..
Coming soon Another empty shop in the city. Let's see who the usual bunch of negative people blame for this closure. Secondly let's await the sinking of the news and evaluation from the perspective of the blind Bradford tint wearing crowd. I wonder how much rates the council will charge for this empty shop to be put in use.. The obvious
  • Score: 0

1:23pm Wed 16 Jan 13

wobbley-bob says...

Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.”

I wish I had some HMV vouchers.
I would take goods that I wanted to the value of the vouchers & leave them with the staff there.
As they have been paid for in advance, vouchers are a form of payment that should be accepted whatever happens.

Everyone who has vouchers should do the same, not accepting them is fraud, surely.,

Doubt if the staff would care anyway, they're going to lose their job.

I
Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.” I wish I had some HMV vouchers. I would take goods that I wanted to the value of the vouchers & leave them with the staff there. As they have been paid for in advance, vouchers are a form of payment that should be accepted whatever happens. Everyone who has vouchers should do the same, not accepting them is fraud, surely., Doubt if the staff would care anyway, they're going to lose their job. I wobbley-bob
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Albion. says...

wobbley-bob wrote:
Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.”

I wish I had some HMV vouchers.
I would take goods that I wanted to the value of the vouchers & leave them with the staff there.
As they have been paid for in advance, vouchers are a form of payment that should be accepted whatever happens.

Everyone who has vouchers should do the same, not accepting them is fraud, surely.,

Doubt if the staff would care anyway, they're going to lose their job.

I
Your only legal recourse, is if you bought them with a credit card (see your bank) cash sales .....erm sorry!
[quote][p][bold]wobbley-bob[/bold] wrote: Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.” I wish I had some HMV vouchers. I would take goods that I wanted to the value of the vouchers & leave them with the staff there. As they have been paid for in advance, vouchers are a form of payment that should be accepted whatever happens. Everyone who has vouchers should do the same, not accepting them is fraud, surely., Doubt if the staff would care anyway, they're going to lose their job. I[/p][/quote]Your only legal recourse, is if you bought them with a credit card (see your bank) cash sales .....erm sorry! Albion.
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Wed 16 Jan 13

johnhem says...

angry bradfordian wrote:
I stopped using the HMV when the stopped prioritising music about 10 years ago and stuck it in the corner of the shop.
First it was 80% DVDs and then they filled the shop with mobile phones. Why would I buy a phone there rather than a dedicated mobile shop?
The CD section has become so small that it doesn't offer much more of a selection than Tesco do and have very little niche music.

They are blaming the internet for their demise, but I only used the internet because I couldn't get what I want in their shop!
Now I'm not using Amazon because of their tax policies I'm having to go to other cities with independent record shops that seem to be booming.
there was a music/record shop just past barry st on sunbridge rd. that looked to have a good choice/range of music. has it closed now? it also sold sheet music and old records you can't get hold of any more.
[quote][p][bold]angry bradfordian[/bold] wrote: I stopped using the HMV when the stopped prioritising music about 10 years ago and stuck it in the corner of the shop. First it was 80% DVDs and then they filled the shop with mobile phones. Why would I buy a phone there rather than a dedicated mobile shop? The CD section has become so small that it doesn't offer much more of a selection than Tesco do and have very little niche music. They are blaming the internet for their demise, but I only used the internet because I couldn't get what I want in their shop! Now I'm not using Amazon because of their tax policies I'm having to go to other cities with independent record shops that seem to be booming.[/p][/quote]there was a music/record shop just past barry st on sunbridge rd. that looked to have a good choice/range of music. has it closed now? it also sold sheet music and old records you can't get hold of any more. johnhem
  • Score: 0

1:57pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Rambo says...

Avro wrote:
How some are easily duped. The 25% sale was already on BEFORE the anouncement of Administration!

No stock clearance has been anounced but you can almost bet that HMV Bradford will be one of the first anounced for closure.

What with Jessops gone and HMV about to go, Broadway has become a pariah for the few that remain..

Waterstones next??
I used to work in Waterstones Starbucks a fair few years ago.

You might not be far off with the Waterstones comment. The Starbucks inside is likely to be closing, which seems odd as their rent contract was a long term one, where they pay a percentage of their profits (so its actually very low).

Unlike the Starbucks at Centenary Sq, which due to the rent prices there took 5 years to actually start making a profit.

So why would the Starbucks in Waterstones be possibly closing? One theory is Waterstones itself could be going. Which seems plausible if you compare the one in Bradford to the one in Leeds, for example.

Im not naming any sources or their positions. I'll just say they are people in the know whom I'm still in contact with in the Leeds area of the company.
[quote][p][bold]Avro[/bold] wrote: How some are easily duped. The 25% sale was already on BEFORE the anouncement of Administration! No stock clearance has been anounced but you can almost bet that HMV Bradford will be one of the first anounced for closure. What with Jessops gone and HMV about to go, Broadway has become a pariah for the few that remain.. Waterstones next??[/p][/quote]I used to work in Waterstones Starbucks a fair few years ago. You might not be far off with the Waterstones comment. The Starbucks inside is likely to be closing, which seems odd as their rent contract was a long term one, where they pay a percentage of their profits (so its actually very low). Unlike the Starbucks at Centenary Sq, which due to the rent prices there took 5 years to actually start making a profit. So why would the Starbucks in Waterstones be possibly closing? One theory is Waterstones itself could be going. Which seems plausible if you compare the one in Bradford to the one in Leeds, for example. Im not naming any sources or their positions. I'll just say they are people in the know whom I'm still in contact with in the Leeds area of the company. Rambo
  • Score: 0

2:08pm Wed 16 Jan 13

wobbley-bob says...

johnhem wrote:
angry bradfordian wrote:
I stopped using the HMV when the stopped prioritising music about 10 years ago and stuck it in the corner of the shop.
First it was 80% DVDs and then they filled the shop with mobile phones. Why would I buy a phone there rather than a dedicated mobile shop?
The CD section has become so small that it doesn't offer much more of a selection than Tesco do and have very little niche music.

They are blaming the internet for their demise, but I only used the internet because I couldn't get what I want in their shop!
Now I'm not using Amazon because of their tax policies I'm having to go to other cities with independent record shops that seem to be booming.
there was a music/record shop just past barry st on sunbridge rd. that looked to have a good choice/range of music. has it closed now? it also sold sheet music and old records you can't get hold of any more.
There was or is, if it's still there, a record shop called The wax Museum, up near John St Market. It was a place to buy/sell/swap music.
[quote][p][bold]johnhem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]angry bradfordian[/bold] wrote: I stopped using the HMV when the stopped prioritising music about 10 years ago and stuck it in the corner of the shop. First it was 80% DVDs and then they filled the shop with mobile phones. Why would I buy a phone there rather than a dedicated mobile shop? The CD section has become so small that it doesn't offer much more of a selection than Tesco do and have very little niche music. They are blaming the internet for their demise, but I only used the internet because I couldn't get what I want in their shop! Now I'm not using Amazon because of their tax policies I'm having to go to other cities with independent record shops that seem to be booming.[/p][/quote]there was a music/record shop just past barry st on sunbridge rd. that looked to have a good choice/range of music. has it closed now? it also sold sheet music and old records you can't get hold of any more.[/p][/quote]There was or is, if it's still there, a record shop called The wax Museum, up near John St Market. It was a place to buy/sell/swap music. wobbley-bob
  • Score: 0

2:10pm Wed 16 Jan 13

mad matt says...

There is precious little to attract any shoppers to Broadway these days. Who in their right mind would even contemplate taking on a shop in this 'dead-end' of town?
There is precious little to attract any shoppers to Broadway these days. Who in their right mind would even contemplate taking on a shop in this 'dead-end' of town? mad matt
  • Score: 0

2:20pm Wed 16 Jan 13

wobbley-bob says...

Albion. wrote:
wobbley-bob wrote:
Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.”

I wish I had some HMV vouchers.
I would take goods that I wanted to the value of the vouchers & leave them with the staff there.
As they have been paid for in advance, vouchers are a form of payment that should be accepted whatever happens.

Everyone who has vouchers should do the same, not accepting them is fraud, surely.,

Doubt if the staff would care anyway, they're going to lose their job.

I
Your only legal recourse, is if you bought them with a credit card (see your bank) cash sales .....erm sorry!
Oh, I know the position Re: credit cards etc. Albion, It's just the fact that when a company goes tits up, they always refuse to accept gift cards etc, which are handed over in exchange for items to the value of, because payment has already been made to purchase the said vouchers.

I'd like to try it if I had some though.
It can't be classed as theft or shoplifting as the goods I would take had been paid for in advance.

If I buy online, with let's say Screwfix..... I pay for the items with my card, I can then let an employee go collect the order at the branch on Wakey Rd as the items are pre paid for.... All he takes is the print out of the order (voucher)
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wobbley-bob[/bold] wrote: Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.” I wish I had some HMV vouchers. I would take goods that I wanted to the value of the vouchers & leave them with the staff there. As they have been paid for in advance, vouchers are a form of payment that should be accepted whatever happens. Everyone who has vouchers should do the same, not accepting them is fraud, surely., Doubt if the staff would care anyway, they're going to lose their job. I[/p][/quote]Your only legal recourse, is if you bought them with a credit card (see your bank) cash sales .....erm sorry![/p][/quote]Oh, I know the position Re: credit cards etc. Albion, It's just the fact that when a company goes tits up, they always refuse to accept gift cards etc, which are handed over in exchange for items to the value of, because payment has already been made to purchase the said vouchers. I'd like to try it if I had some though. It can't be classed as theft or shoplifting as the goods I would take had been paid for in advance. If I buy online, with let's say Screwfix..... I pay for the items with my card, I can then let an employee go collect the order at the branch on Wakey Rd as the items are pre paid for.... All he takes is the print out of the order (voucher) wobbley-bob
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Albion. says...

wobbley-bob wrote:
Albion. wrote:
wobbley-bob wrote:
Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.”

I wish I had some HMV vouchers.
I would take goods that I wanted to the value of the vouchers & leave them with the staff there.
As they have been paid for in advance, vouchers are a form of payment that should be accepted whatever happens.

Everyone who has vouchers should do the same, not accepting them is fraud, surely.,

Doubt if the staff would care anyway, they're going to lose their job.

I
Your only legal recourse, is if you bought them with a credit card (see your bank) cash sales .....erm sorry!
Oh, I know the position Re: credit cards etc. Albion, It's just the fact that when a company goes tits up, they always refuse to accept gift cards etc, which are handed over in exchange for items to the value of, because payment has already been made to purchase the said vouchers.

I'd like to try it if I had some though.
It can't be classed as theft or shoplifting as the goods I would take had been paid for in advance.

If I buy online, with let's say Screwfix..... I pay for the items with my card, I can then let an employee go collect the order at the branch on Wakey Rd as the items are pre paid for.... All he takes is the print out of the order (voucher)
"Screwfix" sounds like something up City Road :-)
[quote][p][bold]wobbley-bob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wobbley-bob[/bold] wrote: Staff at the Bradford store, where signs in the window warned that gift cards and vouchers could not be accepted, said: “The official comment is ‘no comment’.” I wish I had some HMV vouchers. I would take goods that I wanted to the value of the vouchers & leave them with the staff there. As they have been paid for in advance, vouchers are a form of payment that should be accepted whatever happens. Everyone who has vouchers should do the same, not accepting them is fraud, surely., Doubt if the staff would care anyway, they're going to lose their job. I[/p][/quote]Your only legal recourse, is if you bought them with a credit card (see your bank) cash sales .....erm sorry![/p][/quote]Oh, I know the position Re: credit cards etc. Albion, It's just the fact that when a company goes tits up, they always refuse to accept gift cards etc, which are handed over in exchange for items to the value of, because payment has already been made to purchase the said vouchers. I'd like to try it if I had some though. It can't be classed as theft or shoplifting as the goods I would take had been paid for in advance. If I buy online, with let's say Screwfix..... I pay for the items with my card, I can then let an employee go collect the order at the branch on Wakey Rd as the items are pre paid for.... All he takes is the print out of the order (voucher)[/p][/quote]"Screwfix" sounds like something up City Road :-) Albion.
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Joedavid says...

Are these Vouchers that HMV and the like sell handled by a third party?
If anyone got one what does it actually say on it, particularly on the back or small print to who has the money.
Are these Vouchers that HMV and the like sell handled by a third party? If anyone got one what does it actually say on it, particularly on the back or small print to who has the money. Joedavid
  • Score: 0

2:42pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Avro says...

The gift vouchers are HMV product and the money is long since in HMV's bank!

Its almost an act of theft and should be legislated against and you can bet that any HMV stores that are saved, won't take them either, as the HMV debt slate will have been wipeed clean which includes outstanding voucher money!
The gift vouchers are HMV product and the money is long since in HMV's bank! Its almost an act of theft and should be legislated against and you can bet that any HMV stores that are saved, won't take them either, as the HMV debt slate will have been wipeed clean which includes outstanding voucher money! Avro
  • Score: 0

6:03pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Ian H 1971 says...

I stopped shopping there in 1992 because I could not find the music I wanted to buy, and I was fed up with being told they could not even order it. Two years later in 1994 I stumbled across a tiny shop in Halifax called Groové Music, which had a long time assistant called Sid. He later set up his own business in Hebden Bridge on the main high street called Muse Music, which stocked some amazing music and video, plus he could order anything you wanted within a week. He still trades at the same place and has customers travelling from miles around; his prices are not cheap nor expensive and the service is second to none; he will happily play an album in its entirety if you ask, and will chat to you about it and sometimes offer you a cup of tea or coffee. Other regular customers meet up there and suggest music to each other, which they always buy while in the shop. He does not have a website and has no desire to create one, because his reputation and sales are all due to word of mouth. So the likes of HMV blaming the internet and despite their huge buying power and numerous suppliers, they seem unable to provide the music we want, at the prices we deserve and have no desire to give superb service with the personal touch. Goodbye HMV and hello the far superior independent stores!
I stopped shopping there in 1992 because I could not find the music I wanted to buy, and I was fed up with being told they could not even order it. Two years later in 1994 I stumbled across a tiny shop in Halifax called Groové Music, which had a long time assistant called Sid. He later set up his own business in Hebden Bridge on the main high street called Muse Music, which stocked some amazing music and video, plus he could order anything you wanted within a week. He still trades at the same place and has customers travelling from miles around; his prices are not cheap nor expensive and the service is second to none; he will happily play an album in its entirety if you ask, and will chat to you about it and sometimes offer you a cup of tea or coffee. Other regular customers meet up there and suggest music to each other, which they always buy while in the shop. He does not have a website and has no desire to create one, because his reputation and sales are all due to word of mouth. So the likes of HMV blaming the internet and despite their huge buying power and numerous suppliers, they seem unable to provide the music we want, at the prices we deserve and have no desire to give superb service with the personal touch. Goodbye HMV and hello the far superior independent stores! Ian H 1971
  • Score: 0

6:05pm Wed 16 Jan 13

dontbedaft says...

will the last person leaving bradford please leave the key under the mat.......goodbye bradford it was nice knowing you
will the last person leaving bradford please leave the key under the mat.......goodbye bradford it was nice knowing you dontbedaft
  • Score: 0

6:09pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Joedavid says...

dontbedaft wrote:
will the last person leaving bradford please leave the key under the mat.......goodbye bradford it was nice knowing you
Ooops, they took the mat!
[quote][p][bold]dontbedaft[/bold] wrote: will the last person leaving bradford please leave the key under the mat.......goodbye bradford it was nice knowing you[/p][/quote]Ooops, they took the mat! Joedavid
  • Score: 0

7:05pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Meerkat33 says...

Used to spend a fortune in HMV years ago but that all stopped when they stopped selling cd singles. Used to get a lot of import and trance/dance singles. HMV Bradford went down hill when they shut upstairs up and moved DVDs/games etc downstairs and got rid of the majority of CDs and records.

Jumbo records in Leeds is a good shop for obscure CDs and Reevo in Halifax has the odd bargain.
Used to spend a fortune in HMV years ago but that all stopped when they stopped selling cd singles. Used to get a lot of import and trance/dance singles. HMV Bradford went down hill when they shut upstairs up and moved DVDs/games etc downstairs and got rid of the majority of CDs and records. Jumbo records in Leeds is a good shop for obscure CDs and Reevo in Halifax has the odd bargain. Meerkat33
  • Score: 0

9:34pm Wed 16 Jan 13

alfucham says...

If Waterstones and Starbucks go the domino theory will be well and truly rolling.

No hope yet tonight Harry and Judith interviewed a man saying the Broadway funding was in place now.

Has the Ontario Pension Fund really committed to this City.

Madness or rumour.

How can this turn back?It cannot possibly now.

Death of a City and the man there from the start of the great regeneration plan in 1998 is now leader and on being made leader,stated how he wanted to see the job of regeneration through to its conclusion.

Only a few business left to close now David.

Then you will be King.

Perhaps then you can invite Jimmy Corrigan"s funfair down and WE can put you in charge of dodgems.

You look the part already with the earring.(s)
Just a bone through the nose and a twist to the left.

Oh what a circus
If Waterstones and Starbucks go the domino theory will be well and truly rolling. No hope yet tonight Harry and Judith interviewed a man saying the Broadway funding was in place now. Has the Ontario Pension Fund really committed to this City. Madness or rumour. How can this turn back?It cannot possibly now. Death of a City and the man there from the start of the great regeneration plan in 1998 is now leader and on being made leader,stated how he wanted to see the job of regeneration through to its conclusion. Only a few business left to close now David. Then you will be King. Perhaps then you can invite Jimmy Corrigan"s funfair down and WE can put you in charge of dodgems. You look the part already with the earring.(s) Just a bone through the nose and a twist to the left. Oh what a circus alfucham
  • Score: 0

9:56pm Wed 16 Jan 13

mark_s says...

Sadly, Internet shopping is a clear preference now for some goods.
I hope whoever buys the remnants of HMV from the Administrator embraces this and competes with the likes of Amazon. WITH a high street presence to compliment.
The high street (Bradford or anywhere) needs a tactile retailer of music.
BTW Westfield - it must happen.
Sadly, Internet shopping is a clear preference now for some goods. I hope whoever buys the remnants of HMV from the Administrator embraces this and competes with the likes of Amazon. WITH a high street presence to compliment. The high street (Bradford or anywhere) needs a tactile retailer of music. BTW Westfield - it must happen. mark_s
  • Score: 0

9:59pm Wed 16 Jan 13

mark_s says...

Sadly, Internet shopping is a clear preference now for some goods.
I hope whoever buys the remnants of HMV from the Administrator embraces this and competes with the likes of Amazon. WITH a high street presence to compliment.
The high street (Bradford or anywhere) needs a tactile retailer of music.
BTW Westfield - it must happen.
Sadly, Internet shopping is a clear preference now for some goods. I hope whoever buys the remnants of HMV from the Administrator embraces this and competes with the likes of Amazon. WITH a high street presence to compliment. The high street (Bradford or anywhere) needs a tactile retailer of music. BTW Westfield - it must happen. mark_s
  • Score: 0

11:22pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Not so simple says...

One third of the city centre resembles a ghost town which is a major loss to the economy of Bradford and is negative that city's trustees aka council should be ashamed of.

Re the gift vouchers. I reckon if you go into the store with your vouchers and round up goods to the appropriate value, approach the assistant behind the till and leave the vouchers with them and walk out. You are a creditor of the business. Any case HMV can bring would be under contract/civil law....good luck to em prosecuting a creditor who enforces his rights regardless what the buyer be aware small print says. I cannot see anyone trying to stop you.

Re waterstones, I was in there a few weeks ago and got chatting to an employee who advised the book shop is barely surviving and could close. It's a half decent book shop and the city will miss it.
One third of the city centre resembles a ghost town which is a major loss to the economy of Bradford and is negative that city's trustees aka council should be ashamed of. Re the gift vouchers. I reckon if you go into the store with your vouchers and round up goods to the appropriate value, approach the assistant behind the till and leave the vouchers with them and walk out. You are a creditor of the business. Any case HMV can bring would be under contract/civil law....good luck to em prosecuting a creditor who enforces his rights regardless what the buyer be aware small print says. I cannot see anyone trying to stop you. Re waterstones, I was in there a few weeks ago and got chatting to an employee who advised the book shop is barely surviving and could close. It's a half decent book shop and the city will miss it. Not so simple
  • Score: 0

11:39pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Not so simple says...

Did anyone notice an article in the Telegraph a few months ago which if I Remeber correctly was implying that Bradford council had wrote to all its departments,schools,
hospitals etc and advised them all to shift their money out of the Yorkshire Building society or the Yorkshire bank to one of the big four banks.

I reckon Bradford council knows something and is not sharing it with us all...typical.

Dire times ahead for the city centre.
Did anyone notice an article in the Telegraph a few months ago which if I Remeber correctly was implying that Bradford council had wrote to all its departments,schools, hospitals etc and advised them all to shift their money out of the Yorkshire Building society or the Yorkshire bank to one of the big four banks. I reckon Bradford council knows something and is not sharing it with us all...typical. Dire times ahead for the city centre. Not so simple
  • Score: 0

11:48pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Rambo says...

mark_s wrote:
Sadly, Internet shopping is a clear preference now for some goods.
I hope whoever buys the remnants of HMV from the Administrator embraces this and competes with the likes of Amazon. WITH a high street presence to compliment.
The high street (Bradford or anywhere) needs a tactile retailer of music.
BTW Westfield - it must happen.
Westfield will kill off the rest of the city centre. People will only park there and Forster Sq retail, and shop at those 2 places. The exact same happened in Wakefield with the expansion of the retail park and building of Trinity Walk.

What will happen to the area around what used to be Sunwin House and the Kirkgate centre? Its already on its arse, a new centre will likely see existing chains move over and independents go under.

People want the security of chains and names, all under one roof. I know from competing against them.
[quote][p][bold]mark_s[/bold] wrote: Sadly, Internet shopping is a clear preference now for some goods. I hope whoever buys the remnants of HMV from the Administrator embraces this and competes with the likes of Amazon. WITH a high street presence to compliment. The high street (Bradford or anywhere) needs a tactile retailer of music. BTW Westfield - it must happen.[/p][/quote]Westfield will kill off the rest of the city centre. People will only park there and Forster Sq retail, and shop at those 2 places. The exact same happened in Wakefield with the expansion of the retail park and building of Trinity Walk. What will happen to the area around what used to be Sunwin House and the Kirkgate centre? Its already on its arse, a new centre will likely see existing chains move over and independents go under. People want the security of chains and names, all under one roof. I know from competing against them. Rambo
  • Score: 0

10:16pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Not so simple says...

Rambo wrote:
mark_s wrote:
Sadly, Internet shopping is a clear preference now for some goods.
I hope whoever buys the remnants of HMV from the Administrator embraces this and competes with the likes of Amazon. WITH a high street presence to compliment.
The high street (Bradford or anywhere) needs a tactile retailer of music.
BTW Westfield - it must happen.
Westfield will kill off the rest of the city centre. People will only park there and Forster Sq retail, and shop at those 2 places. The exact same happened in Wakefield with the expansion of the retail park and building of Trinity Walk.

What will happen to the area around what used to be Sunwin House and the Kirkgate centre? Its already on its arse, a new centre will likely see existing chains move over and independents go under.

People want the security of chains and names, all under one roof. I know from competing against them.
I take it that the rest of the city centre may turn in to bazaars. I know tesco wanted a piece of land from Hamm strasse to the old Yorkshire bank building, including all of John st. Do not be surprised that half of town turns into a leisure complex similar to the cinema complex near interchange ans the rest of the town apart from Westfield? Turns into a massive multi store bazaar. You never know. And you can't put anything past the shortsighted leaders of this city
[quote][p][bold]Rambo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark_s[/bold] wrote: Sadly, Internet shopping is a clear preference now for some goods. I hope whoever buys the remnants of HMV from the Administrator embraces this and competes with the likes of Amazon. WITH a high street presence to compliment. The high street (Bradford or anywhere) needs a tactile retailer of music. BTW Westfield - it must happen.[/p][/quote]Westfield will kill off the rest of the city centre. People will only park there and Forster Sq retail, and shop at those 2 places. The exact same happened in Wakefield with the expansion of the retail park and building of Trinity Walk. What will happen to the area around what used to be Sunwin House and the Kirkgate centre? Its already on its arse, a new centre will likely see existing chains move over and independents go under. People want the security of chains and names, all under one roof. I know from competing against them.[/p][/quote]I take it that the rest of the city centre may turn in to bazaars. I know tesco wanted a piece of land from Hamm strasse to the old Yorkshire bank building, including all of John st. Do not be surprised that half of town turns into a leisure complex similar to the cinema complex near interchange ans the rest of the town apart from Westfield? Turns into a massive multi store bazaar. You never know. And you can't put anything past the shortsighted leaders of this city Not so simple
  • Score: 0

10:54pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Sashaboo2005 says...

This is only a drop in the ocean many more shops will close before this economic disaster ends . Shops in thriving cities are closing so what chance have Bradford shops . If the Westfield project ever comes off which I have my doubts who will want to rent the space anyway Poundland , William Hill, & Fast Food outlets I would imagine . Bradford needs a miracle to recover I wish it all the best .
This is only a drop in the ocean many more shops will close before this economic disaster ends . Shops in thriving cities are closing so what chance have Bradford shops . If the Westfield project ever comes off which I have my doubts who will want to rent the space anyway Poundland , William Hill, & Fast Food outlets I would imagine . Bradford needs a miracle to recover I wish it all the best . Sashaboo2005
  • Score: 0

1:04am Fri 18 Jan 13

Not so simple says...

Sashaboo2005 wrote:
This is only a drop in the ocean many more shops will close before this economic disaster ends . Shops in thriving cities are closing so what chance have Bradford shops . If the Westfield project ever comes off which I have my doubts who will want to rent the space anyway Poundland , William Hill, & Fast Food outlets I would imagine . Bradford needs a miracle to recover I wish it all the best .
Things don't look bright. Economic recovery will happen but not for a while. Small businesses are key to the recovery of this city but big business aka banks and local authorities don't provide the support.
[quote][p][bold]Sashaboo2005[/bold] wrote: This is only a drop in the ocean many more shops will close before this economic disaster ends . Shops in thriving cities are closing so what chance have Bradford shops . If the Westfield project ever comes off which I have my doubts who will want to rent the space anyway Poundland , William Hill, & Fast Food outlets I would imagine . Bradford needs a miracle to recover I wish it all the best .[/p][/quote]Things don't look bright. Economic recovery will happen but not for a while. Small businesses are key to the recovery of this city but big business aka banks and local authorities don't provide the support. Not so simple
  • Score: 0

8:50am Fri 18 Jan 13

BD16-And-Annoyed says...

I don't know if I'm the only person that picked up on this BUT....HMV is merely one chain store from Bradford, it was rarely busy and had a smaller selection than most. Instead of wasting time moaning and debating the closure of one shop, why not focus efforts into getting voices heard about the Westfield project? I'm fairly certain that the completion of this building would be a great help to the economy of Bradford. It may just convince some of the local shoppers to try Westfield as opposed to their usual journey to Leeds.
I don't know if I'm the only person that picked up on this BUT....HMV is merely one chain store from Bradford, it was rarely busy and had a smaller selection than most. Instead of wasting time moaning and debating the closure of one shop, why not focus efforts into getting voices heard about the Westfield project? I'm fairly certain that the completion of this building would be a great help to the economy of Bradford. It may just convince some of the local shoppers to try Westfield as opposed to their usual journey to Leeds. BD16-And-Annoyed
  • Score: 0

10:36am Fri 18 Jan 13

Joedavid says...

BD16-And-Annoyed wrote:
I don't know if I'm the only person that picked up on this BUT....HMV is merely one chain store from Bradford, it was rarely busy and had a smaller selection than most. Instead of wasting time moaning and debating the closure of one shop, why not focus efforts into getting voices heard about the Westfield project? I'm fairly certain that the completion of this building would be a great help to the economy of Bradford. It may just convince some of the local shoppers to try Westfield as opposed to their usual journey to Leeds.
..why not focus efforts into getting voices heard about the Westfield project?
There is hardly a Comment thread and Post in the T&A Forum that does not mention the state of Bradford city centre including Westfield and Odeon etc. The people of Bradford are all feed up with the Councils lack of action, and they must know it.
[quote][p][bold]BD16-And-Annoyed[/bold] wrote: I don't know if I'm the only person that picked up on this BUT....HMV is merely one chain store from Bradford, it was rarely busy and had a smaller selection than most. Instead of wasting time moaning and debating the closure of one shop, why not focus efforts into getting voices heard about the Westfield project? I'm fairly certain that the completion of this building would be a great help to the economy of Bradford. It may just convince some of the local shoppers to try Westfield as opposed to their usual journey to Leeds.[/p][/quote]..why not focus efforts into getting voices heard about the Westfield project? There is hardly a Comment thread and Post in the T&A Forum that does not mention the state of Bradford city centre including Westfield and Odeon etc. The people of Bradford are all feed up with the Councils lack of action, and they must know it. Joedavid
  • Score: 0

10:07pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Spongebobvader says...

Nice to see the good people of Bradford caring about a group of people who may lose their jobs, houses even families if hmv goes under.
As for leaving your voucher & walking out with stock to the same value,thats called theft & there's enough of that in this god foresaken town already. The vouchers now belong to the administrators NOT hmv so you are stealing from a different party. I have witnessed 3 people do the same thing this week & be stopped by the police so stop been so rash.
The administrators dealing with this situation are the same ones who dealt with the Comet closure & they did re-introduce the vouchers.
Get off hmv Bradfords back, they have enough going on.
As for shopping there, if people did not illegally download so much, there would still be a market for music & films but most people are so uneducated in this area they think music & films will just continued to be made. Fools! If there is no money to pay artists from the purchase of said films & music, nobody will make anything. It wont be long before cinemas start to close too.
So the next time your having that drink in the pub & the guy comes in selling the hooky copies of disney films ect, think about phoning the police, not contributing to crime.
Nice to see the good people of Bradford caring about a group of people who may lose their jobs, houses even families if hmv goes under. As for leaving your voucher & walking out with stock to the same value,thats called theft & there's enough of that in this god foresaken town already. The vouchers now belong to the administrators NOT hmv so you are stealing from a different party. I have witnessed 3 people do the same thing this week & be stopped by the police so stop been so rash. The administrators dealing with this situation are the same ones who dealt with the Comet closure & they did re-introduce the vouchers. Get off hmv Bradfords back, they have enough going on. As for shopping there, if people did not illegally download so much, there would still be a market for music & films but most people are so uneducated in this area they think music & films will just continued to be made. Fools! If there is no money to pay artists from the purchase of said films & music, nobody will make anything. It wont be long before cinemas start to close too. So the next time your having that drink in the pub & the guy comes in selling the hooky copies of disney films ect, think about phoning the police, not contributing to crime. Spongebobvader
  • Score: 0

3:08am Sat 19 Jan 13

Not so simple says...

Spongebobvader wrote:
Nice to see the good people of Bradford caring about a group of people who may lose their jobs, houses even families if hmv goes under.
As for leaving your voucher & walking out with stock to the same value,thats called theft & there's enough of that in this god foresaken town already. The vouchers now belong to the administrators NOT hmv so you are stealing from a different party. I have witnessed 3 people do the same thing this week & be stopped by the police so stop been so rash.
The administrators dealing with this situation are the same ones who dealt with the Comet closure & they did re-introduce the vouchers.
Get off hmv Bradfords back, they have enough going on.
As for shopping there, if people did not illegally download so much, there would still be a market for music & films but most people are so uneducated in this area they think music & films will just continued to be made. Fools! If there is no money to pay artists from the purchase of said films & music, nobody will make anything. It wont be long before cinemas start to close too.
So the next time your having that drink in the pub & the guy comes in selling the hooky copies of disney films ect, think about phoning the police, not contributing to crime.
I think you are the guard at HMV....or paid by them for propaganda...what a load of tosh.

HMV is a debtor to the voucher holder. Under common law...law of the land that cops enforce, the creditor can assume powers of enforcement to recover and make good his loss. HMV has cashed the money from voucher sales,paid tax on it and possibly secured investment derived from income of vouchers. Theft is when you have a intended to steal...not theft when you enforce a contact. Stop defending businesses that are slow to react to changing economic times. HMV is a business and now it's Bust in Bradford...shame but not our loss as that whole part of the city centre is lying empty.
[quote][p][bold]Spongebobvader[/bold] wrote: Nice to see the good people of Bradford caring about a group of people who may lose their jobs, houses even families if hmv goes under. As for leaving your voucher & walking out with stock to the same value,thats called theft & there's enough of that in this god foresaken town already. The vouchers now belong to the administrators NOT hmv so you are stealing from a different party. I have witnessed 3 people do the same thing this week & be stopped by the police so stop been so rash. The administrators dealing with this situation are the same ones who dealt with the Comet closure & they did re-introduce the vouchers. Get off hmv Bradfords back, they have enough going on. As for shopping there, if people did not illegally download so much, there would still be a market for music & films but most people are so uneducated in this area they think music & films will just continued to be made. Fools! If there is no money to pay artists from the purchase of said films & music, nobody will make anything. It wont be long before cinemas start to close too. So the next time your having that drink in the pub & the guy comes in selling the hooky copies of disney films ect, think about phoning the police, not contributing to crime.[/p][/quote]I think you are the guard at HMV....or paid by them for propaganda...what a load of tosh. HMV is a debtor to the voucher holder. Under common law...law of the land that cops enforce, the creditor can assume powers of enforcement to recover and make good his loss. HMV has cashed the money from voucher sales,paid tax on it and possibly secured investment derived from income of vouchers. Theft is when you have a intended to steal...not theft when you enforce a contact. Stop defending businesses that are slow to react to changing economic times. HMV is a business and now it's Bust in Bradford...shame but not our loss as that whole part of the city centre is lying empty. Not so simple
  • Score: 0

11:16pm Sat 19 Jan 13

Andy2010 says...

Not so simple wrote:
Spongebobvader wrote:
Nice to see the good people of Bradford caring about a group of people who may lose their jobs, houses even families if hmv goes under.
As for leaving your voucher & walking out with stock to the same value,thats called theft & there's enough of that in this god foresaken town already. The vouchers now belong to the administrators NOT hmv so you are stealing from a different party. I have witnessed 3 people do the same thing this week & be stopped by the police so stop been so rash.
The administrators dealing with this situation are the same ones who dealt with the Comet closure & they did re-introduce the vouchers.
Get off hmv Bradfords back, they have enough going on.
As for shopping there, if people did not illegally download so much, there would still be a market for music & films but most people are so uneducated in this area they think music & films will just continued to be made. Fools! If there is no money to pay artists from the purchase of said films & music, nobody will make anything. It wont be long before cinemas start to close too.
So the next time your having that drink in the pub & the guy comes in selling the hooky copies of disney films ect, think about phoning the police, not contributing to crime.
I think you are the guard at HMV....or paid by them for propaganda...what a load of tosh.

HMV is a debtor to the voucher holder. Under common law...law of the land that cops enforce, the creditor can assume powers of enforcement to recover and make good his loss. HMV has cashed the money from voucher sales,paid tax on it and possibly secured investment derived from income of vouchers. Theft is when you have a intended to steal...not theft when you enforce a contact. Stop defending businesses that are slow to react to changing economic times. HMV is a business and now it's Bust in Bradford...shame but not our loss as that whole part of the city centre is lying empty.
I agree with your sentiment but unfortunately there is nothing anyone holding vouchers can do that's the law.

Any case submitted against them in court would be dismissed due to the status of the company.

That's the risk with vouchers unfortunately
[quote][p][bold]Not so simple[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Spongebobvader[/bold] wrote: Nice to see the good people of Bradford caring about a group of people who may lose their jobs, houses even families if hmv goes under. As for leaving your voucher & walking out with stock to the same value,thats called theft & there's enough of that in this god foresaken town already. The vouchers now belong to the administrators NOT hmv so you are stealing from a different party. I have witnessed 3 people do the same thing this week & be stopped by the police so stop been so rash. The administrators dealing with this situation are the same ones who dealt with the Comet closure & they did re-introduce the vouchers. Get off hmv Bradfords back, they have enough going on. As for shopping there, if people did not illegally download so much, there would still be a market for music & films but most people are so uneducated in this area they think music & films will just continued to be made. Fools! If there is no money to pay artists from the purchase of said films & music, nobody will make anything. It wont be long before cinemas start to close too. So the next time your having that drink in the pub & the guy comes in selling the hooky copies of disney films ect, think about phoning the police, not contributing to crime.[/p][/quote]I think you are the guard at HMV....or paid by them for propaganda...what a load of tosh. HMV is a debtor to the voucher holder. Under common law...law of the land that cops enforce, the creditor can assume powers of enforcement to recover and make good his loss. HMV has cashed the money from voucher sales,paid tax on it and possibly secured investment derived from income of vouchers. Theft is when you have a intended to steal...not theft when you enforce a contact. Stop defending businesses that are slow to react to changing economic times. HMV is a business and now it's Bust in Bradford...shame but not our loss as that whole part of the city centre is lying empty.[/p][/quote]I agree with your sentiment but unfortunately there is nothing anyone holding vouchers can do that's the law. Any case submitted against them in court would be dismissed due to the status of the company. That's the risk with vouchers unfortunately Andy2010
  • Score: 0

11:42pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Not so simple says...

Apparently the administrators have instructed HMV to start accepting those dreaded vouchers again....time to empty the bins if you've thrown them away lol.
Apparently the administrators have instructed HMV to start accepting those dreaded vouchers again....time to empty the bins if you've thrown them away lol. Not so simple
  • Score: 0

9:06pm Thu 31 Jan 13

Spongebobvader says...

as predicted your £10 vouchers can be spent now. Support your only remaining music store, or you could of course continue illegally downloading & keep ruining the industry.
As for Not so simple, no i'm not a security guard, just a well informed member of the public who enjoys music & film, & has no time for trolls or haters oranybody that takes pleasure out of others misfortune.
as predicted your £10 vouchers can be spent now. Support your only remaining music store, or you could of course continue illegally downloading & keep ruining the industry. As for Not so simple, no i'm not a security guard, just a well informed member of the public who enjoys music & film, & has no time for trolls or haters oranybody that takes pleasure out of others misfortune. Spongebobvader
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree