Home-value slump is the biggest among English cities says building society

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Houses for sale in Canal Road, Bradford Houses for sale in Canal Road, Bradford

House prices in Bradford plummeted nine per cent during 2012 – the biggest fall among English cities, a national study has found.

And estate agents have warned that sellers need to be more realistic when pricing their homes, with properties in some areas of the district dropping in value by 40 per cent in four years.

Building society Nationwide, which produced the national report, said yesterday that prices were likely to remain flat or edge lower still during 2013.

Its study found evidence that the North-South divide in England is widening, with the price of a typical home in the South now standing at a new high of about £95,000 more than in the North, representing a two per cent increase compared with the end of 2011.

John Watts, a director at Robert Watts estate agents, with offices across Bradford, said that since 2007 house prices locally had dropped between 15 and 20 per cent, with some houses dropping by a staggering 40 per cent in four years.

“I was in Holme Wood this week and some properties have dropped by 40 per cent in last four years, and that is a phenomenal drop,” he said.

“There are still a lot of repossessions and buy-to-let houses which are bringing prices down overall.

Mr Watts, who is on the executive committee of Bradford and District Auctioneers’ and Estate Agents’ Association, added: “I can’t see it dropping further because a lot of places have taken the hit already, but I am surprised by the further nine per cent drop.

“It does depend where the figures come from and whether it is from remortgages or completions.”

David Wilford, chief executive of Holme Christian Community in Holme Wood, said that he knew of one seller in Holme Wood who had to sell their property for £37,000, which was nearly £23,000 below the original £59,950 asking price.

“People are having to sell it at that and you have private landlords trying to sell up because of pressure of them trying to get their rent,” he said.

Across the UK, house prices fell by 0.1 per cent month-on-month in December, and the monthly decline meant that at £162,262 on average, house prices dropped by one per cent over 2012 – reversing a one per cent increase recorded in 2011.

Yorkshire and Humberside was the weakest-performing English region for house-price growth, with prices edging down by 2.5 per cent over the year.

Patrick McCutcheon, head of residential at the Ilkley branch of estate agents Dacre, Son & Hartley, said: “You have a two-tier market of competitive and realistic sale prices, and those who are realistic are achieving success.

“Those who are over-optimistic are finding frustration that buyers are not responding. Buyers react to prices.”

James Watts, another director of Robert Watts estate agents, said that those motivated to sell, with a realistic asking price and using the right estate agent achieved success.

“If you tick all those boxes and get those three things right, there is a very good chance of selling in this market,” he said.

“The market in Bradford is okay and there are buyers out there.”

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:07am Fri 4 Jan 13

Cooperlane2 says...

Did the house in Holme Wood come with grazing rights?
Did the house in Holme Wood come with grazing rights? Cooperlane2

7:51am Fri 4 Jan 13

RollandSmoke says...

"...you have private landlords trying to sell up because of pressure of them trying to get their rent,”
That should help come April when the bedroom tax kicks in and people are forced to find smaller properties. Of course the government don't care if no smaller homes are available, they just want the taxes from those that they are pushing further into poverty.
"...you have private landlords trying to sell up because of pressure of them trying to get their rent,” That should help come April when the bedroom tax kicks in and people are forced to find smaller properties. Of course the government don't care if no smaller homes are available, they just want the taxes from those that they are pushing further into poverty. RollandSmoke

8:15am Fri 4 Jan 13

thingybob68 says...

what a misleading headline figure, ofcourse areas like holme wood would drop by 40%, not many people would voluntarily live there, its supply and demand.

If anything, in my experience properties in good areas remain doggedly over priced because sellers are reluctant to reduce and those thta cant achieve their desired price are putting them on rent and becoming accidental landlords.
what a misleading headline figure, ofcourse areas like holme wood would drop by 40%, not many people would voluntarily live there, its supply and demand. If anything, in my experience properties in good areas remain doggedly over priced because sellers are reluctant to reduce and those thta cant achieve their desired price are putting them on rent and becoming accidental landlords. thingybob68

9:07am Fri 4 Jan 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

House prices are still rising in the area where I live. It might be because I live in one of the few areas of Bradford that isn't a lawless ghetto, though they are becoming increasing harder to find in Bradford.
House prices are still rising in the area where I live. It might be because I live in one of the few areas of Bradford that isn't a lawless ghetto, though they are becoming increasing harder to find in Bradford. Thee Voice of Reason

9:16am Fri 4 Jan 13

tyker2 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
House prices are still rising in the area where I live. It might be because I live in one of the few areas of Bradford that isn't a lawless ghetto, though they are becoming increasing harder to find in Bradford.
agree:it is always about supply and demand. Their are more houses for sale in areas people do not want to live and it follows, therefrom, that prices fall in order to attract a buyer. If reduction in price does not work then further falls will occur.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: House prices are still rising in the area where I live. It might be because I live in one of the few areas of Bradford that isn't a lawless ghetto, though they are becoming increasing harder to find in Bradford.[/p][/quote]agree:it is always about supply and demand. Their are more houses for sale in areas people do not want to live and it follows, therefrom, that prices fall in order to attract a buyer. If reduction in price does not work then further falls will occur. tyker2

9:18am Fri 4 Jan 13

Z.Raja says...

There is no future for Bradford and as far as the Council is run by Labour, the picture will get worse. Here legal businesses are not protected and the illegal businesses in the name of Stall Type Bazaars are booming. Hard working families are struggling to find bread and butter while benefit cheats and illegal immigrants are enjoying. This city has already become a ghost town and the future of Bradford is bleak.
There is no future for Bradford and as far as the Council is run by Labour, the picture will get worse. Here legal businesses are not protected and the illegal businesses in the name of Stall Type Bazaars are booming. Hard working families are struggling to find bread and butter while benefit cheats and illegal immigrants are enjoying. This city has already become a ghost town and the future of Bradford is bleak. Z.Raja

9:32am Fri 4 Jan 13

MontyLeMar says...

Just googled US house prices the other day and the result I got was a 41% drop from peak to trough with whole communities bulldozed to try and keep prices up. Still a long way to go in Bradford. The employment situation in Bradford is becoming worse if anything - good quality jobs leaving, low paid/low skilled jobs arriving. That's going to force prices down and those that won't sell and become landlords will soon find out the pleasures of dealing with awkward tenants and the true costs of running two homes.
Just googled US house prices the other day and the result I got was a 41% drop from peak to trough with whole communities bulldozed to try and keep prices up. Still a long way to go in Bradford. The employment situation in Bradford is becoming worse if anything - good quality jobs leaving, low paid/low skilled jobs arriving. That's going to force prices down and those that won't sell and become landlords will soon find out the pleasures of dealing with awkward tenants and the true costs of running two homes. MontyLeMar

10:13am Fri 4 Jan 13

thatsnotmyname says...

House prices are still way over what they should be. 200k properties in saltaire for example have dropped by 30k in the last two years, still more.to go..
.
House prices are still way over what they should be. 200k properties in saltaire for example have dropped by 30k in the last two years, still more.to go.. . thatsnotmyname

11:00am Fri 4 Jan 13

lanzaman says...

If the property in Holme Wood sold for £37,000 then that's what it's worth in todays market. People say prices need to come down..why? What difference will that make. Lenders will not lend at reasonable levels for first time buyers, so even if every property was halved in price, there wouldn't be a great number of buyers available. Also the government think directing FTB's to new build properties will stimulate the housing market!!! No it won't, it will line the pockets of the house builders and their directors (mp's i wonder??!!) but it will not create a chain upwards for others to move. That is the problem and until the banks begin to lend, it will remain
If the property in Holme Wood sold for £37,000 then that's what it's worth in todays market. People say prices need to come down..why? What difference will that make. Lenders will not lend at reasonable levels for first time buyers, so even if every property was halved in price, there wouldn't be a great number of buyers available. Also the government think directing FTB's to new build properties will stimulate the housing market!!! No it won't, it will line the pockets of the house builders and their directors (mp's i wonder??!!) but it will not create a chain upwards for others to move. That is the problem and until the banks begin to lend, it will remain lanzaman

11:51am Fri 4 Jan 13

Avro says...

It was only a few months ago that the T&A was revealing Bradford as one of the most affordable places to buy a house, and now moaning about the alrming drop!

http://www.thetelegr
aphandargus.co.uk/ne
ws/local/localbrad/9
624513.City_houses_t
hird_cheapest_in_UK/


Is it any wonder about the alarming drop?
It was only a few months ago that the T&A was revealing Bradford as one of the most affordable places to buy a house, and now moaning about the alrming drop! http://www.thetelegr aphandargus.co.uk/ne ws/local/localbrad/9 624513.City_houses_t hird_cheapest_in_UK/ Is it any wonder about the alarming drop? Avro

11:51am Fri 4 Jan 13

The Hoffster says...

Good news for buyers at least :)
Good news for buyers at least :) The Hoffster

1:31pm Fri 4 Jan 13

localydocaly says...

Z.Raja wrote:
There is no future for Bradford and as far as the Council is run by Labour, the picture will get worse. Here legal businesses are not protected and the illegal businesses in the name of Stall Type Bazaars are booming. Hard working families are struggling to find bread and butter while benefit cheats and illegal immigrants are enjoying. This city has already become a ghost town and the future of Bradford is bleak.
you hit the nail on the head raja ,square on the head !!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Z.Raja[/bold] wrote: There is no future for Bradford and as far as the Council is run by Labour, the picture will get worse. Here legal businesses are not protected and the illegal businesses in the name of Stall Type Bazaars are booming. Hard working families are struggling to find bread and butter while benefit cheats and illegal immigrants are enjoying. This city has already become a ghost town and the future of Bradford is bleak.[/p][/quote]you hit the nail on the head raja ,square on the head !!!!! localydocaly

1:38pm Fri 4 Jan 13

jh137 says...

The Hoffster wrote:
Good news for buyers at least :)
Certainly good news for property companies. They snap up cheap properties, put in a 'single' parent=rent nicely paid - thank you. Who then rent the spare rooms out to 'friends'. The neighbours get fed up, sell up at a cheap price, same property company buys another bargain and its a continuous cycle. ive seen it happen and if i could afford to sell for less than i paid 15 yrs ago i would sell up too ... ;-(
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Good news for buyers at least :)[/p][/quote]Certainly good news for property companies. They snap up cheap properties, put in a 'single' parent=rent nicely paid - thank you. Who then rent the spare rooms out to 'friends'. The neighbours get fed up, sell up at a cheap price, same property company buys another bargain and its a continuous cycle. ive seen it happen and if i could afford to sell for less than i paid 15 yrs ago i would sell up too ... ;-( jh137

2:06pm Fri 4 Jan 13

birday says...

The government hasn't been able to prevent the collapse of the housing market in this part of the UK - Bradford homes and community relations have been trashed and destroyed by welfare benefits, single parents and their kids, kids leaving care, immigration and slum lords etc.
.
It's a tragedy for so many hardworking, law abiding people.
.
Thankfully, I can now see that the slum lords, who thought they could make a quick buck, are now suffering. The degree of damage to their properties must be really hurting their pockets - LOL!! I can't wait to see more of heir suffering in neighbouring propoerties -LOL. I estimate they must be making a loss where I live - because of their behaviour house prices have declined considerably and they are having to replace kitchens, bathrooms, internal doors, external doors and window, carpets, curtains, redecorate - LOL!! Their losses must be immense!
The government hasn't been able to prevent the collapse of the housing market in this part of the UK - Bradford homes and community relations have been trashed and destroyed by welfare benefits, single parents and their kids, kids leaving care, immigration and slum lords etc. . It's a tragedy for so many hardworking, law abiding people. . Thankfully, I can now see that the slum lords, who thought they could make a quick buck, are now suffering. The degree of damage to their properties must be really hurting their pockets - LOL!! I can't wait to see more of heir suffering in neighbouring propoerties -LOL. I estimate they must be making a loss where I live - because of their behaviour house prices have declined considerably and they are having to replace kitchens, bathrooms, internal doors, external doors and window, carpets, curtains, redecorate - LOL!! Their losses must be immense! birday

3:48pm Fri 4 Jan 13

MontyLeMar says...

jh137 wrote:
The Hoffster wrote:
Good news for buyers at least :)
Certainly good news for property companies. They snap up cheap properties, put in a 'single' parent=rent nicely paid - thank you. Who then rent the spare rooms out to 'friends'. The neighbours get fed up, sell up at a cheap price, same property company buys another bargain and its a continuous cycle. ive seen it happen and if i could afford to sell for less than i paid 15 yrs ago i would sell up too ... ;-(
You're right and it's destroying previously nice desirable neighbourhoods. Landlords don't really care who they put in their property so long as they get their rent and I've known a few people who thought they'd moved into a good neighbourhood only to wake up one morning and find they are living next door to the neighbours from hell. Luckily most of the time it has worked out badly for the landlord because the tenants have usually stripped the house of anything valuable and flitted during the night. I know of one lot who actually ripped out the electric wiring and plumbing! It would be funny if it wasn't also making life hell for respectable hard working people who just want a quiet life and to move on up in the world and bring up their family. Really sad.
[quote][p][bold]jh137[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Good news for buyers at least :)[/p][/quote]Certainly good news for property companies. They snap up cheap properties, put in a 'single' parent=rent nicely paid - thank you. Who then rent the spare rooms out to 'friends'. The neighbours get fed up, sell up at a cheap price, same property company buys another bargain and its a continuous cycle. ive seen it happen and if i could afford to sell for less than i paid 15 yrs ago i would sell up too ... ;-([/p][/quote]You're right and it's destroying previously nice desirable neighbourhoods. Landlords don't really care who they put in their property so long as they get their rent and I've known a few people who thought they'd moved into a good neighbourhood only to wake up one morning and find they are living next door to the neighbours from hell. Luckily most of the time it has worked out badly for the landlord because the tenants have usually stripped the house of anything valuable and flitted during the night. I know of one lot who actually ripped out the electric wiring and plumbing! It would be funny if it wasn't also making life hell for respectable hard working people who just want a quiet life and to move on up in the world and bring up their family. Really sad. MontyLeMar

5:24pm Fri 4 Jan 13

thingybob68 says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
Just googled US house prices the other day and the result I got was a 41% drop from peak to trough with whole communities bulldozed to try and keep prices up. Still a long way to go in Bradford. The employment situation in Bradford is becoming worse if anything - good quality jobs leaving, low paid/low skilled jobs arriving. That's going to force prices down and those that won't sell and become landlords will soon find out the pleasures of dealing with awkward tenants and the true costs of running two homes.
when we have card board cities springing up like in America then we will know where in trouble - but where not quite there yet.

and i agree their is no future in Bradford, and certainly not for our kids by the time they grow up.
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: Just googled US house prices the other day and the result I got was a 41% drop from peak to trough with whole communities bulldozed to try and keep prices up. Still a long way to go in Bradford. The employment situation in Bradford is becoming worse if anything - good quality jobs leaving, low paid/low skilled jobs arriving. That's going to force prices down and those that won't sell and become landlords will soon find out the pleasures of dealing with awkward tenants and the true costs of running two homes.[/p][/quote]when we have card board cities springing up like in America then we will know where in trouble - but where not quite there yet. and i agree their is no future in Bradford, and certainly not for our kids by the time they grow up. thingybob68

8:40pm Fri 4 Jan 13

The obvious says...

Loads of life in Bradford yet...negative people are free to leave. Bye
Loads of life in Bradford yet...negative people are free to leave. Bye The obvious

12:46am Sat 5 Jan 13

Mr Bradford says...

Why do theT&A always write headlines that paint a bleaker picture than it actually is.....

"Bradford house price drop ‘worst in country'" is the headline, when in fact it's just the biggest drop in English cities, slightly.
Why do theT&A always write headlines that paint a bleaker picture than it actually is..... "Bradford house price drop ‘worst in country'" is the headline, when in fact it's just the biggest drop in English cities, slightly. Mr Bradford

8:10am Sat 5 Jan 13

birday says...

The obvious wrote:
Loads of life in Bradford yet...negative people are free to leave. Bye
LOL!
.
The negative people are leaving, sadly by the time you regret it it will be too late for you!
[quote][p][bold]The obvious[/bold] wrote: Loads of life in Bradford yet...negative people are free to leave. Bye[/p][/quote]LOL! . The negative people are leaving, sadly by the time you regret it it will be too late for you! birday

8:23am Sat 5 Jan 13

Joedavid says...

The Hoffster wrote:
Good news for buyers at least :)
If they can get a loan to buy them.
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Good news for buyers at least :)[/p][/quote]If they can get a loan to buy them. Joedavid

8:41am Sat 5 Jan 13

birday says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
jh137 wrote:
The Hoffster wrote:
Good news for buyers at least :)
Certainly good news for property companies. They snap up cheap properties, put in a 'single' parent=rent nicely paid - thank you. Who then rent the spare rooms out to 'friends'. The neighbours get fed up, sell up at a cheap price, same property company buys another bargain and its a continuous cycle. ive seen it happen and if i could afford to sell for less than i paid 15 yrs ago i would sell up too ... ;-(
You're right and it's destroying previously nice desirable neighbourhoods. Landlords don't really care who they put in their property so long as they get their rent and I've known a few people who thought they'd moved into a good neighbourhood only to wake up one morning and find they are living next door to the neighbours from hell. Luckily most of the time it has worked out badly for the landlord because the tenants have usually stripped the house of anything valuable and flitted during the night. I know of one lot who actually ripped out the electric wiring and plumbing! It would be funny if it wasn't also making life hell for respectable hard working people who just want a quiet life and to move on up in the world and bring up their family. Really sad.
Renting makes no sense for anyone - never has done and never will because it leaves people powerless and keeps them in poverty by taking all their money and preventing them acquiring assets such as land and property.
.
Across the country, landlords are damaging community relations, peoples mental health, the economy (locally and therefore nationally - how can you do a proper days work when you've been kept up all night and you live in fear) and ultimately themselves - but many are too dense to realise that yet and the consequences for them.
.
It's great to hear other peoples experiences where tenants have stripped properties of anthing valuable. LOL! Long may it continue as long as hardworking law abiding home owners have to tolerate this kind of behaviour whilst the government and European Union etc sit back and take no responsibility and do nothing.
.
The landlords where I live are mostly taxi drivers and owners of local take aways and shop. Their slumlord behaviour has pushed many of their customers away and damaged their business. Taxi drivers are now needing to travel to Rochdale, Olham, Blackburn, Dewsbury, Leeds, Wakefield etc to find a fare. Takeaway owners are having to open up shop in places like York and Ilkley where people have money. Must be costing them lots in terms of time and money traving etc. Meanwhile, Bradford has been saturated with too many takeaways for too many years. People on benefits and with large families are struggling to afford taxi's and takeaways. Since many pubs have closed down in the city (or where torched in the riots) and across Yorkshire these businesses have lost the pub business. I would guess the future is very bleak if you are dependent on these kind of business to earn a living in Bradford! The future is very bleak indeed - may they get everything they deserve! You can not unleash suffering on others without any repercussions!
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jh137[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Good news for buyers at least :)[/p][/quote]Certainly good news for property companies. They snap up cheap properties, put in a 'single' parent=rent nicely paid - thank you. Who then rent the spare rooms out to 'friends'. The neighbours get fed up, sell up at a cheap price, same property company buys another bargain and its a continuous cycle. ive seen it happen and if i could afford to sell for less than i paid 15 yrs ago i would sell up too ... ;-([/p][/quote]You're right and it's destroying previously nice desirable neighbourhoods. Landlords don't really care who they put in their property so long as they get their rent and I've known a few people who thought they'd moved into a good neighbourhood only to wake up one morning and find they are living next door to the neighbours from hell. Luckily most of the time it has worked out badly for the landlord because the tenants have usually stripped the house of anything valuable and flitted during the night. I know of one lot who actually ripped out the electric wiring and plumbing! It would be funny if it wasn't also making life hell for respectable hard working people who just want a quiet life and to move on up in the world and bring up their family. Really sad.[/p][/quote]Renting makes no sense for anyone - never has done and never will because it leaves people powerless and keeps them in poverty by taking all their money and preventing them acquiring assets such as land and property. . Across the country, landlords are damaging community relations, peoples mental health, the economy (locally and therefore nationally - how can you do a proper days work when you've been kept up all night and you live in fear) and ultimately themselves - but many are too dense to realise that yet and the consequences for them. . It's great to hear other peoples experiences where tenants have stripped properties of anthing valuable. LOL! Long may it continue as long as hardworking law abiding home owners have to tolerate this kind of behaviour whilst the government and European Union etc sit back and take no responsibility and do nothing. . The landlords where I live are mostly taxi drivers and owners of local take aways and shop. Their slumlord behaviour has pushed many of their customers away and damaged their business. Taxi drivers are now needing to travel to Rochdale, Olham, Blackburn, Dewsbury, Leeds, Wakefield etc to find a fare. Takeaway owners are having to open up shop in places like York and Ilkley where people have money. Must be costing them lots in terms of time and money traving etc. Meanwhile, Bradford has been saturated with too many takeaways for too many years. People on benefits and with large families are struggling to afford taxi's and takeaways. Since many pubs have closed down in the city (or where torched in the riots) and across Yorkshire these businesses have lost the pub business. I would guess the future is very bleak if you are dependent on these kind of business to earn a living in Bradford! The future is very bleak indeed - may they get everything they deserve! You can not unleash suffering on others without any repercussions! birday

9:19am Sat 5 Jan 13

Avro says...

You seem to brand those who rent as being beneath you!

Many are being forced into renting because of not being able to afford the up to 25% mortgage deposit needed, and that many have had to hand in their keys because of financial circumstance.

There are plenty of homeowners who live lke chav's too!
You seem to brand those who rent as being beneath you! Many are being forced into renting because of not being able to afford the up to 25% mortgage deposit needed, and that many have had to hand in their keys because of financial circumstance. There are plenty of homeowners who live lke chav's too! Avro

10:49am Sat 5 Jan 13

Willard says...

You cant buy a house until you are sure of a steady income. People rent to they can be light on their feet and move to where the next job is coming from. We cant sit and wait for economic recovery, some youngsters want to get on with their lives and have kids and get married and you can't risk or get a mortgage when you work 6 month contracts. It is onlt poor s0ds like us who have skills and own a house which is dropping of a cliff that can't afford to upsticks and move to London to find longer term paid work. Renting is now not seen as a last choice, for the young it is the only choice that allows them to take their lives forwards and not just tread water.
You cant buy a house until you are sure of a steady income. People rent to they can be light on their feet and move to where the next job is coming from. We cant sit and wait for economic recovery, some youngsters want to get on with their lives and have kids and get married and you can't risk or get a mortgage when you work 6 month contracts. It is onlt poor s0ds like us who have skills and own a house which is dropping of a cliff that can't afford to upsticks and move to London to find longer term paid work. Renting is now not seen as a last choice, for the young it is the only choice that allows them to take their lives forwards and not just tread water. Willard

3:00pm Sat 5 Jan 13

Silsdenman says...

The obvious wrote:
Loads of life in Bradford yet...negative people are free to leave. Bye
Bye.
[quote][p][bold]The obvious[/bold] wrote: Loads of life in Bradford yet...negative people are free to leave. Bye[/p][/quote]Bye. Silsdenman

5:05pm Sat 5 Jan 13

birday says...

Avro wrote:
You seem to brand those who rent as being beneath you!

Many are being forced into renting because of not being able to afford the up to 25% mortgage deposit needed, and that many have had to hand in their keys because of financial circumstance.

There are plenty of homeowners who live lke chav's too!
No, not renters ... it's the slum lords who are dense - really they are - small time short term thinkers who bring in tenants that trash and devalue the very areas they live and have invested in at the same time!!
.
They may have ripped renters off in the short term but it simply can't last and and the fall out's great ... really enjoying watching them clear up, get tired and cross with each other, then struggle to attract new tenants because they don't have the brains and won't or can't spend the money to get the property back to a rentable state .... I've waited a while for this and estimate their losses to be around £30k!! Really, taking account of the damage and devaluation of the property from the original sale price!! and it's great knowing this!!! LOL!!!
[quote][p][bold]Avro[/bold] wrote: You seem to brand those who rent as being beneath you! Many are being forced into renting because of not being able to afford the up to 25% mortgage deposit needed, and that many have had to hand in their keys because of financial circumstance. There are plenty of homeowners who live lke chav's too![/p][/quote]No, not renters ... it's the slum lords who are dense - really they are - small time short term thinkers who bring in tenants that trash and devalue the very areas they live and have invested in at the same time!! . They may have ripped renters off in the short term but it simply can't last and and the fall out's great ... really enjoying watching them clear up, get tired and cross with each other, then struggle to attract new tenants because they don't have the brains and won't or can't spend the money to get the property back to a rentable state .... I've waited a while for this and estimate their losses to be around £30k!! Really, taking account of the damage and devaluation of the property from the original sale price!! and it's great knowing this!!! LOL!!! birday

5:14pm Sat 5 Jan 13

birday says...

Willard wrote:
You cant buy a house until you are sure of a steady income. People rent to they can be light on their feet and move to where the next job is coming from. We cant sit and wait for economic recovery, some youngsters want to get on with their lives and have kids and get married and you can't risk or get a mortgage when you work 6 month contracts. It is onlt poor s0ds like us who have skills and own a house which is dropping of a cliff that can't afford to upsticks and move to London to find longer term paid work. Renting is now not seen as a last choice, for the young it is the only choice that allows them to take their lives forwards and not just tread water.
The bank and landlords can only do what they're doing with the cooperation of people. It you don't cooperate they can't do it - simple! Prices would quickly adjust downwards.
.
Yes times are not easy but what's the rush? Take it easy!
.
Stay at home, save your money rather then paying rent, study/learn skills - great jobs will come to those who work hard, are reliable and can do a good job.
.
Mind out for the child catchers!
[quote][p][bold]Willard[/bold] wrote: You cant buy a house until you are sure of a steady income. People rent to they can be light on their feet and move to where the next job is coming from. We cant sit and wait for economic recovery, some youngsters want to get on with their lives and have kids and get married and you can't risk or get a mortgage when you work 6 month contracts. It is onlt poor s0ds like us who have skills and own a house which is dropping of a cliff that can't afford to upsticks and move to London to find longer term paid work. Renting is now not seen as a last choice, for the young it is the only choice that allows them to take their lives forwards and not just tread water.[/p][/quote]The bank and landlords can only do what they're doing with the cooperation of people. It you don't cooperate they can't do it - simple! Prices would quickly adjust downwards. . Yes times are not easy but what's the rush? Take it easy! . Stay at home, save your money rather then paying rent, study/learn skills - great jobs will come to those who work hard, are reliable and can do a good job. . Mind out for the child catchers! birday

2:13pm Sun 6 Jan 13

Willard says...

birday wrote:
Willard wrote:
You cant buy a house until you are sure of a steady income. People rent to they can be light on their feet and move to where the next job is coming from. We cant sit and wait for economic recovery, some youngsters want to get on with their lives and have kids and get married and you can't risk or get a mortgage when you work 6 month contracts. It is onlt poor s0ds like us who have skills and own a house which is dropping of a cliff that can't afford to upsticks and move to London to find longer term paid work. Renting is now not seen as a last choice, for the young it is the only choice that allows them to take their lives forwards and not just tread water.
The bank and landlords can only do what they're doing with the cooperation of people. It you don't cooperate they can't do it - simple! Prices would quickly adjust downwards.
.
Yes times are not easy but what's the rush? Take it easy!
.
Stay at home, save your money rather then paying rent, study/learn skills - great jobs will come to those who work hard, are reliable and can do a good job.
.
Mind out for the child catchers!
I agree with some of hat you say. House prices are affected by demand, Demand is controlled by the economy, the available of sustainable quality local employment and the willingness of lenders to offer mortgages on properties in the area. So Jobs and Mortages are very important. Staying at home to start a life and a family is not really an option and expecting good jobs to come to you if you work hard or study hard is a recipe to imobility and disaster. Good jobs don't come to you, they have to be hunted down and then fought for against the other 200 people who have hunted down the same job and who may have better skills or qualiications than you do. The rush is to save a generation that risk being permanent NEETs.
[quote][p][bold]birday[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Willard[/bold] wrote: You cant buy a house until you are sure of a steady income. People rent to they can be light on their feet and move to where the next job is coming from. We cant sit and wait for economic recovery, some youngsters want to get on with their lives and have kids and get married and you can't risk or get a mortgage when you work 6 month contracts. It is onlt poor s0ds like us who have skills and own a house which is dropping of a cliff that can't afford to upsticks and move to London to find longer term paid work. Renting is now not seen as a last choice, for the young it is the only choice that allows them to take their lives forwards and not just tread water.[/p][/quote]The bank and landlords can only do what they're doing with the cooperation of people. It you don't cooperate they can't do it - simple! Prices would quickly adjust downwards. . Yes times are not easy but what's the rush? Take it easy! . Stay at home, save your money rather then paying rent, study/learn skills - great jobs will come to those who work hard, are reliable and can do a good job. . Mind out for the child catchers![/p][/quote]I agree with some of hat you say. House prices are affected by demand, Demand is controlled by the economy, the available of sustainable quality local employment and the willingness of lenders to offer mortgages on properties in the area. So Jobs and Mortages are very important. Staying at home to start a life and a family is not really an option and expecting good jobs to come to you if you work hard or study hard is a recipe to imobility and disaster. Good jobs don't come to you, they have to be hunted down and then fought for against the other 200 people who have hunted down the same job and who may have better skills or qualiications than you do. The rush is to save a generation that risk being permanent NEETs. Willard

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree