New plan to be launched to stimulate Bradford district

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , T&A Reporter

A plan to “stimulate economic development, investment and regeneration” in Bradford city centre over the next decade looks set to be drawn up by Council chiefs.

The vision is expected to define and position Bradford’s future direction to help create “a vibrant and successful city that everyone can be proud of”.

Bradford Council’s strategic director for regeneration and culture, Barra Mac Ruairi, will take a lead on the development of the city plan, if executive agree at its meeting on Tuesday.

Mr Mac Ruairi states in a report into the proposed new plan: “The impact of the economic downturn and the need to plan for a changing city centre now presents an opportunity for the local authority and partners to take a new approach to regeneration that helps to both define and position Bradford’s future direction and supports a more localised approach to the making of place, its economic development, investment, employment and the life of the city centre.”

But he warns: “The economic downturn and the reality of a slow recovery makes the prospect for attracting significant investment for large schemes difficult, suggesting a renewed approach to stimulating regeneration in the city centre is needed.”

The idea behind the plan is to develop a shared long-term view with partners on the type of city centre that is desirable and what they should be working towards.

It is intended to be a local approach to city centre regeneration while building on existing policy documents and strategies.

“The city needs to reposition itself for its future and will require a decade of continued prioritisation to facilitate its success,” said Mr Mac Ruairi.

It is expected that any such plan would need to bring: l enhanced and increased delivery and investment in the city centre l development of specific actions to achieve outcomes identified in the plan l greater alignment of delivery and service provision in the city centre; alignment of existing priorities and strategies to maximise impact on the city centre l a strategic approach to investment for the city centre l a city centre partnership approach to aligning activity and supporting community participation and engagement l and short, medium and long term delivery targets to measure progress and impact.

Council leader David Green, said: “It is intended to build on the success that we have had in the last couple of years in building City Park, with Provident Financial in its new building and Westfield progressing.

”We need to have a plan that gives comfort to people and explains the direction of travel. It will work in partnership with the people of Bradford and the businesses of Bradford for the next ten years.

“It’s not just about bricks and mortar though – it’s about the people, the culture and the heritage. What we want to create is a city that the people of Bradford are proud of and that investors and proud to invest in.”

The executive is expected to endorse the creation of a plan.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:24am Thu 29 Nov 12

angry bradfordian says...

“The city needs to reposition itself for its future and will require a decade of continued prioritisation to facilitate its success,” said Mr Mac Ruairi."

Does this man ever speak in anything other than business waffle?
“The city needs to reposition itself for its future and will require a decade of continued prioritisation to facilitate its success,” said Mr Mac Ruairi." Does this man ever speak in anything other than business waffle? angry bradfordian
  • Score: 0

8:15am Thu 29 Nov 12

thingybob68 says...

I had the same thought, empty, meaningless business waffle with no substance and no clear vision or strategy on how they are going to salvage our crippled City.

Lets have more details and less corporate speak.
I had the same thought, empty, meaningless business waffle with no substance and no clear vision or strategy on how they are going to salvage our crippled City. Lets have more details and less corporate speak. thingybob68
  • Score: 0

8:33am Thu 29 Nov 12

Clowny says...

It's sad when the only private sector economic "success" that can be cited is Provident moving from one office in BD1 to a newer office in BD1.

I also note the economy is being blamed yet the city centre still declined through the growth years.
It's sad when the only private sector economic "success" that can be cited is Provident moving from one office in BD1 to a newer office in BD1. I also note the economy is being blamed yet the city centre still declined through the growth years. Clowny
  • Score: 0

8:40am Thu 29 Nov 12

JAtkinson says...

I think it's excellent that the city is planning for the future and planning to regenerate the district and planning for growth and planning to get Bradford working...

... but this is on the back of a plan for this and a plan for that, none of which seems to come to full fruition and few of which seem to have any positive impact at all.

Time to stop planning and start doing or get out of the way and let someone who can do it.
I think it's excellent that the city is planning for the future and planning to regenerate the district and planning for growth and planning to get Bradford working... ... but this is on the back of a plan for this and a plan for that, none of which seems to come to full fruition and few of which seem to have any positive impact at all. Time to stop planning and start doing or get out of the way and let someone who can do it. JAtkinson
  • Score: 0

9:13am Thu 29 Nov 12

Cooperlane2 says...

What the hell has Mac Ruairi been doing all these years?
What the hell has Mac Ruairi been doing all these years? Cooperlane2
  • Score: 0

10:28am Thu 29 Nov 12

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Council leader David Green, said: “It is intended to build on the success that we have had in the last couple of years in building City Park, with Provident Financial in its new building and Westfield progressing.

Sorry but City Park might look nice but what success has it achieved as yet?
Provident Financial have moved from one office in the city center to another, is that deemed as success now.
And I may have missed something but Westfield progressing? What progressing? Ice ages have been known to come and go faster. Absolutely nothing has happened on the Westfield front since 2008 when the same 3 anchor tenants were announced, the only growth or progression at Westfield is the grass in the garden down there.
What a complete load of rubbish, why do the T&A just print this rubbish and not ask any questions.
Council leader David Green, said: “It is intended to build on the success that we have had in the last couple of years in building City Park, with Provident Financial in its new building and Westfield progressing. Sorry but City Park might look nice but what success has it achieved as yet? Provident Financial have moved from one office in the city center to another, is that deemed as success now. And I may have missed something but Westfield progressing? What progressing? Ice ages have been known to come and go faster. Absolutely nothing has happened on the Westfield front since 2008 when the same 3 anchor tenants were announced, the only growth or progression at Westfield is the grass in the garden down there. What a complete load of rubbish, why do the T&A just print this rubbish and not ask any questions. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 0

11:20am Thu 29 Nov 12

Idler60 says...

Yet more words, next will come the artists impressions. and the reality will be yet more decline.
Yet more words, next will come the artists impressions. and the reality will be yet more decline. Idler60
  • Score: 0

11:25am Thu 29 Nov 12

angry bradfordian says...

Cooperlane2 wrote:
What the hell has Mac Ruairi been doing all these years?
He has been busy producing plans of how he's going to produce the next plan.

Oh, and allegedly driving back and forth to his home in Sheffield which he presumably finds a far more attractive place to live!
[quote][p][bold]Cooperlane2[/bold] wrote: What the hell has Mac Ruairi been doing all these years?[/p][/quote]He has been busy producing plans of how he's going to produce the next plan. Oh, and allegedly driving back and forth to his home in Sheffield which he presumably finds a far more attractive place to live! angry bradfordian
  • Score: 0

11:30am Thu 29 Nov 12

RollandSmoke says...

As more and more people lost their jobs and the media demonised them the general public, who are not on this position, have demanded that they get enough to live on nothing more. With no money to spend they are unlikley to enter the town. They are unable to simulate the local economy, the shops become empty and less attractive to other customers, businesses close and more people find themselves out of work. This vicious cycle has been going on for quite some time now and it's effects are clear to see. The ideology of the rabid right wing has destroyed this town as well as countless numbers of it's residents and their answer is to crack down harder on those who are struggling most in the current economic climate. Workers don't generate custom for shops during the day as they are busy working. The "Make work pay" soundbite has nothing to do with ensuring a living wage, it's about making life as uncomfortable as possible for those who, for whatever reason, haven't got any.
As more and more people lost their jobs and the media demonised them the general public, who are not on this position, have demanded that they get enough to live on nothing more. With no money to spend they are unlikley to enter the town. They are unable to simulate the local economy, the shops become empty and less attractive to other customers, businesses close and more people find themselves out of work. This vicious cycle has been going on for quite some time now and it's effects are clear to see. The ideology of the rabid right wing has destroyed this town as well as countless numbers of it's residents and their answer is to crack down harder on those who are struggling most in the current economic climate. Workers don't generate custom for shops during the day as they are busy working. The "Make work pay" soundbite has nothing to do with ensuring a living wage, it's about making life as uncomfortable as possible for those who, for whatever reason, haven't got any. RollandSmoke
  • Score: 0

11:39am Thu 29 Nov 12

angry bradfordian says...

RollandSmoke wrote:
As more and more people lost their jobs and the media demonised them the general public, who are not on this position, have demanded that they get enough to live on nothing more. With no money to spend they are unlikley to enter the town. They are unable to simulate the local economy, the shops become empty and less attractive to other customers, businesses close and more people find themselves out of work. This vicious cycle has been going on for quite some time now and it's effects are clear to see. The ideology of the rabid right wing has destroyed this town as well as countless numbers of it's residents and their answer is to crack down harder on those who are struggling most in the current economic climate. Workers don't generate custom for shops during the day as they are busy working. The "Make work pay" soundbite has nothing to do with ensuring a living wage, it's about making life as uncomfortable as possible for those who, for whatever reason, haven't got any.
Is there any story you can't manage to blame the 'right wing' for?

The state of Bradford town centre has been getting worse & worse since around 2000. That's not something that can be pinned on the current Tory government.

At a local level it seems that the likes of MacRuari and Maud Marshall are the ones leading the way and our councillors (regardless of party) just read out their press releases. Nothing has changed in city centre policy since Labour took back power.

There are plenty of town centres in Britain, both left and right wing that have flourished in the last 20 years (for example Harrogate and Wakefield nearby) and it's a crying shame Bradford has been left behind.
[quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: As more and more people lost their jobs and the media demonised them the general public, who are not on this position, have demanded that they get enough to live on nothing more. With no money to spend they are unlikley to enter the town. They are unable to simulate the local economy, the shops become empty and less attractive to other customers, businesses close and more people find themselves out of work. This vicious cycle has been going on for quite some time now and it's effects are clear to see. The ideology of the rabid right wing has destroyed this town as well as countless numbers of it's residents and their answer is to crack down harder on those who are struggling most in the current economic climate. Workers don't generate custom for shops during the day as they are busy working. The "Make work pay" soundbite has nothing to do with ensuring a living wage, it's about making life as uncomfortable as possible for those who, for whatever reason, haven't got any.[/p][/quote]Is there any story you can't manage to blame the 'right wing' for? The state of Bradford town centre has been getting worse & worse since around 2000. That's not something that can be pinned on the current Tory government. At a local level it seems that the likes of MacRuari and Maud Marshall are the ones leading the way and our councillors (regardless of party) just read out their press releases. Nothing has changed in city centre policy since Labour took back power. There are plenty of town centres in Britain, both left and right wing that have flourished in the last 20 years (for example Harrogate and Wakefield nearby) and it's a crying shame Bradford has been left behind. angry bradfordian
  • Score: 0

11:54am Thu 29 Nov 12

MontyLeMar says...

So, another plan and things are about to change - again. I wont hold my breath.
So, another plan and things are about to change - again. I wont hold my breath. MontyLeMar
  • Score: 0

11:59am Thu 29 Nov 12

RollandSmoke says...

angry bradfordian wrote:
RollandSmoke wrote:
As more and more people lost their jobs and the media demonised them the general public, who are not on this position, have demanded that they get enough to live on nothing more. With no money to spend they are unlikley to enter the town. They are unable to simulate the local economy, the shops become empty and less attractive to other customers, businesses close and more people find themselves out of work. This vicious cycle has been going on for quite some time now and it's effects are clear to see. The ideology of the rabid right wing has destroyed this town as well as countless numbers of it's residents and their answer is to crack down harder on those who are struggling most in the current economic climate. Workers don't generate custom for shops during the day as they are busy working. The "Make work pay" soundbite has nothing to do with ensuring a living wage, it's about making life as uncomfortable as possible for those who, for whatever reason, haven't got any.
Is there any story you can't manage to blame the 'right wing' for?

The state of Bradford town centre has been getting worse & worse since around 2000. That's not something that can be pinned on the current Tory government.

At a local level it seems that the likes of MacRuari and Maud Marshall are the ones leading the way and our councillors (regardless of party) just read out their press releases. Nothing has changed in city centre policy since Labour took back power.

There are plenty of town centres in Britain, both left and right wing that have flourished in the last 20 years (for example Harrogate and Wakefield nearby) and it's a crying shame Bradford has been left behind.
You have miss read what I said which was, "The ideology of the rabid right wing". This has been pandered to regardless of who was in power at the time. Tony Blair only got into power by re-inventing Labour as a slightly more palletable version of the Tories. You would be hard pushed to find many people who would describe him as a left winger.
[quote][p][bold]angry bradfordian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RollandSmoke[/bold] wrote: As more and more people lost their jobs and the media demonised them the general public, who are not on this position, have demanded that they get enough to live on nothing more. With no money to spend they are unlikley to enter the town. They are unable to simulate the local economy, the shops become empty and less attractive to other customers, businesses close and more people find themselves out of work. This vicious cycle has been going on for quite some time now and it's effects are clear to see. The ideology of the rabid right wing has destroyed this town as well as countless numbers of it's residents and their answer is to crack down harder on those who are struggling most in the current economic climate. Workers don't generate custom for shops during the day as they are busy working. The "Make work pay" soundbite has nothing to do with ensuring a living wage, it's about making life as uncomfortable as possible for those who, for whatever reason, haven't got any.[/p][/quote]Is there any story you can't manage to blame the 'right wing' for? The state of Bradford town centre has been getting worse & worse since around 2000. That's not something that can be pinned on the current Tory government. At a local level it seems that the likes of MacRuari and Maud Marshall are the ones leading the way and our councillors (regardless of party) just read out their press releases. Nothing has changed in city centre policy since Labour took back power. There are plenty of town centres in Britain, both left and right wing that have flourished in the last 20 years (for example Harrogate and Wakefield nearby) and it's a crying shame Bradford has been left behind.[/p][/quote]You have miss read what I said which was, "The ideology of the rabid right wing". This has been pandered to regardless of who was in power at the time. Tony Blair only got into power by re-inventing Labour as a slightly more palletable version of the Tories. You would be hard pushed to find many people who would describe him as a left winger. RollandSmoke
  • Score: 0

12:09pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Thee Voice of Reason says...

The only thing that is progressing is Barra's bank balance.
The only thing that is progressing is Barra's bank balance. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Fri 30 Nov 12

sorrow&anger says...

Cooperlane2 wrote:
What the hell has Mac Ruairi been doing all these years?
I agree. Has Barra Boy only just woken up to the fact that Bradford is in decline?

The good news is that City Hall have finally realised that cities are judged by their centres. The dereliction needs to be sorted by forcing developers to use up all the brownfield land first before they are allowed to profiteer from the destruction of our few remaining green fields.

If Barra is serious then he needs to do something about our schools. Why would a highly paid profesional want to come and live and work in Bradford and have his kids educated at some of the worst schools in the country? Maybe that is why Barra lives in Sheffield.
[quote][p][bold]Cooperlane2[/bold] wrote: What the hell has Mac Ruairi been doing all these years?[/p][/quote]I agree. Has Barra Boy only just woken up to the fact that Bradford is in decline? The good news is that City Hall have finally realised that cities are judged by their centres. The dereliction needs to be sorted by forcing developers to use up all the brownfield land first before they are allowed to profiteer from the destruction of our few remaining green fields. If Barra is serious then he needs to do something about our schools. Why would a highly paid profesional want to come and live and work in Bradford and have his kids educated at some of the worst schools in the country? Maybe that is why Barra lives in Sheffield. sorrow&anger
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree