Postman tells of attack while delivering parcel in Cleckheaton

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Postman Andrew Leckenby who was bitten by a dog whilst delivering mail Postman Andrew Leckenby who was bitten by a dog whilst delivering mail

A postman has told of the terrifying moment he was confronted by a snarling dog in a garden in Birkenshaw, Bradford.

Andrew Leckenby was attacked by the Dalmatian on Wednesday.

He told the Telegraph & Argus that the dog bared its teeth before biting him on the back of his thigh.

The animal is well-known to the Royal Mail delivery office at Cleckheaton and is listed there as a dangerous dog.

The postal driver said: “The dog was aggressive. I was scared, especially knowing its history.”

Mr Leckenby, 43, owns four greyhounds and is a dog lover but added: “It is not nice having a dog coming at you with its teeth bared. If a dog wants to bite you, it will.”

Mr Leckenby, who has been bitten a “couple of times” by dogs in 12 years with Royal Mail, said the animal is usually kept in a cage round the back of the house. After rattling the gate to make sure it was not free, he went into the garden and was beckoned to a window by the homeowner.

As he handed a parcel over, the dog appeared around the corner of the house.

“I was shouting at the dog,” said Mr Leckenby. “The owner was shouting at the dog.

“It bit me on my leg, just near my bum. I shouted at it again and managed to get away.”

Fortunately, he did not suffer any serious injuries.

He backed the call for tougher legal sanctions, saying: “At the moment, the onus is on us to make the delivery, even if there is an animal there.”

Mr Leckenby said deliveries to the address had been suspended.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:39am Fri 23 Nov 12

idleone says...

A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.
A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner. idleone
  • Score: 0

8:42am Fri 23 Nov 12

BertSanders says...

idleone wrote:
A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.
Absolutely - and a licence to keep a dog should be reintroduced at a significant price that covers administration.
[quote][p][bold]idleone[/bold] wrote: A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.[/p][/quote]Absolutely - and a licence to keep a dog should be reintroduced at a significant price that covers administration. BertSanders
  • Score: 0

9:57am Fri 23 Nov 12

Emptycup says...

Should be supplied with pepper spray or some sonic device, and owners prosecuted if someone is bit.
Should be supplied with pepper spray or some sonic device, and owners prosecuted if someone is bit. Emptycup
  • Score: 0

10:12am Fri 23 Nov 12

Joedavid says...

What if a child had kick its ball say into that garden and gone to get it?
Can't understand people keeping dogs like that and in a cage too. Should be stopped.
What if a child had kick its ball say into that garden and gone to get it? Can't understand people keeping dogs like that and in a cage too. Should be stopped. Joedavid
  • Score: 0

10:35am Fri 23 Nov 12

ANY WHERE BUT HERE says...

Alright how much do you want.
Alright how much do you want. ANY WHERE BUT HERE
  • Score: 0

10:57am Fri 23 Nov 12

Outraged English Subject says...

BertSanders wrote:
idleone wrote:
A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.
Absolutely - and a licence to keep a dog should be reintroduced at a significant price that covers administration.
Entirely agree, the reintroduction of a licence is a duty not only by the state, moreover it’s a responsibility of all dog owners. (Even Jack Russell Dogs!!!)
[quote][p][bold]BertSanders[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]idleone[/bold] wrote: A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.[/p][/quote]Absolutely - and a licence to keep a dog should be reintroduced at a significant price that covers administration.[/p][/quote]Entirely agree, the reintroduction of a licence is a duty not only by the state, moreover it’s a responsibility of all dog owners. (Even Jack Russell Dogs!!!) Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 0

12:16pm Fri 23 Nov 12

Bone_idle18 says...

Outraged English Subject wrote:
BertSanders wrote:
idleone wrote:
A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.
Absolutely - and a licence to keep a dog should be reintroduced at a significant price that covers administration.
Entirely agree, the reintroduction of a licence is a duty not only by the state, moreover it’s a responsibility of all dog owners. (Even Jack Russell Dogs!!!)
Well, a Jack Russell killed a week old baby this week, so it shows that all dogs are potentially dangerous!

£1000 for a licence, which covers the storage of DNA, and matching that to dog crap on the streets. Fouling has become an epidemic in the area.

no licence and owner is immediately destroyed! Or do I mean the dog?
[quote][p][bold]Outraged English Subject[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BertSanders[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]idleone[/bold] wrote: A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.[/p][/quote]Absolutely - and a licence to keep a dog should be reintroduced at a significant price that covers administration.[/p][/quote]Entirely agree, the reintroduction of a licence is a duty not only by the state, moreover it’s a responsibility of all dog owners. (Even Jack Russell Dogs!!!)[/p][/quote]Well, a Jack Russell killed a week old baby this week, so it shows that all dogs are potentially dangerous! £1000 for a licence, which covers the storage of DNA, and matching that to dog crap on the streets. Fouling has become an epidemic in the area. no licence and owner is immediately destroyed! Or do I mean the dog? Bone_idle18
  • Score: 0

12:26pm Fri 23 Nov 12

Outraged English Subject says...

Found myself happily day dreaming at that thought of your former, "no licence and owner is immediately destroyed!" hope springs internal.
Found myself happily day dreaming at that thought of your former, "no licence and owner is immediately destroyed!" hope springs internal. Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 0

12:31pm Fri 23 Nov 12

Outraged English Subject says...

eternal
eternal Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Fri 23 Nov 12

The Hoffster says...

As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed.

They're completely irrelevant.

They lick their balls.
As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed. They're completely irrelevant. They lick their balls. The Hoffster
  • Score: 0

1:51pm Fri 23 Nov 12

Albion. says...

The Hoffster wrote:
As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed.

They're completely irrelevant.

They lick their balls.
Your jealousy is most unbecoming.
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed. They're completely irrelevant. They lick their balls.[/p][/quote]Your jealousy is most unbecoming. Albion.
  • Score: 0

2:20pm Fri 23 Nov 12

thruth9211 says...

The situation is simple

DONT POST TO PEOPLE TO HAVE DOGS IN THEIR GARDENS, FREE TO ROAM AROUND

ITS amazing, those on benefits who cant look after themselves have pets to look after, how ironic

GET THEM TO COLLECT THEIR OWN POST, AND GET OUT OF THEIR HOMES
The situation is simple DONT POST TO PEOPLE TO HAVE DOGS IN THEIR GARDENS, FREE TO ROAM AROUND ITS amazing, those on benefits who cant look after themselves have pets to look after, how ironic GET THEM TO COLLECT THEIR OWN POST, AND GET OUT OF THEIR HOMES thruth9211
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Fri 23 Nov 12

zippy25 says...

The Hoffster wrote:
As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed.

They're completely irrelevant.

They lick their balls.
GET A LIFE DICK HEAD |
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed. They're completely irrelevant. They lick their balls.[/p][/quote]GET A LIFE DICK HEAD | zippy25
  • Score: 0

2:47pm Fri 23 Nov 12

Albion. says...

zippy25 wrote:
The Hoffster wrote:
As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed.

They're completely irrelevant.

They lick their balls.
GET A LIFE DICK HEAD |
Oh great! Now we await the censors axe. Don't let the idiot wind you up.
[quote][p][bold]zippy25[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed. They're completely irrelevant. They lick their balls.[/p][/quote]GET A LIFE DICK HEAD |[/p][/quote]Oh great! Now we await the censors axe. Don't let the idiot wind you up. Albion.
  • Score: 0

3:37pm Fri 23 Nov 12

Farsley Bantam says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Outraged English Subject wrote:
BertSanders wrote:
idleone wrote: A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.
Absolutely - and a licence to keep a dog should be reintroduced at a significant price that covers administration.
Entirely agree, the reintroduction of a licence is a duty not only by the state, moreover it’s a responsibility of all dog owners. (Even Jack Russell Dogs!!!)
Well, a Jack Russell killed a week old baby this week, so it shows that all dogs are potentially dangerous! £1000 for a licence, which covers the storage of DNA, and matching that to dog crap on the streets. Fouling has become an epidemic in the area. no licence and owner is immediately destroyed! Or do I mean the dog?
Are you serious? DNA swabs on dog turds? Will this be done by the newly assembled 'Dog Sh1t Squad'?
In any case those who leave dog crap on the streets are unlikely to apply for a licence.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Outraged English Subject[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BertSanders[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]idleone[/bold] wrote: A real menace. Permanent ban on post delivery to any address with a dog should be In place and the individuals should have to collect their mail from the local sorting centre. This guy should prosecute the owner.[/p][/quote]Absolutely - and a licence to keep a dog should be reintroduced at a significant price that covers administration.[/p][/quote]Entirely agree, the reintroduction of a licence is a duty not only by the state, moreover it’s a responsibility of all dog owners. (Even Jack Russell Dogs!!!)[/p][/quote]Well, a Jack Russell killed a week old baby this week, so it shows that all dogs are potentially dangerous! £1000 for a licence, which covers the storage of DNA, and matching that to dog crap on the streets. Fouling has become an epidemic in the area. no licence and owner is immediately destroyed! Or do I mean the dog?[/p][/quote]Are you serious? DNA swabs on dog turds? Will this be done by the newly assembled 'Dog Sh1t Squad'? In any case those who leave dog crap on the streets are unlikely to apply for a licence. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 0

5:39pm Fri 23 Nov 12

The Hoffster says...

zippy25 wrote:
The Hoffster wrote:
As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed.

They're completely irrelevant.

They lick their balls.
GET A LIFE DICK HEAD |
Come on; lighten up.

:)
[quote][p][bold]zippy25[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: As mentioned in that other story, all dogs need to be destroyed. They're completely irrelevant. They lick their balls.[/p][/quote]GET A LIFE DICK HEAD |[/p][/quote]Come on; lighten up. :) The Hoffster
  • Score: 0

6:40pm Fri 23 Nov 12

del949 says...

might be worth finding out why the dog wasn't in its cage before labelling the owner as being irresponsible etc.
might be worth finding out why the dog wasn't in its cage before labelling the owner as being irresponsible etc. del949
  • Score: 0

10:01pm Fri 23 Nov 12

Ian H 1971 says...

The owner is irresponsible for having a dog like that in a suburban environment. Any dog can turn nasty if the conditions are right but usually it is the known bad breeds that always look to harm.
The owner is irresponsible for having a dog like that in a suburban environment. Any dog can turn nasty if the conditions are right but usually it is the known bad breeds that always look to harm. Ian H 1971
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree