Friday, November 20, sees the 250th anniversary of the Battle Of Quiberon.

It was the turning point in the Seven Years War and Admiral Sir Edward Hawke set a standard in naval tradition which carried on to Trafalgar.

Hearts of Oak was written to mark the French defeat on that day.

The tiny church of St Nicholas, North Stoneham, near Southampton, is the final resting place of Lord Hawke and also the venue for the anniversary events.

For details call Martin Kelly (02380) 790821 or go to www.bassettparish.hampshire.org.uk/quiberonbay250/ * If you are a member of the Armed Forces Pension Group but have not had a recent contact et me know as some records have gone missing. If you want to be brought up to date put yourself on my list as I am now are co-ordinator. We had an interesting meeting in the House of Commons on October 14. If you are not a member but would like to know more, get in touch.

DIARY DATES: Today (Tuesday): Bradford branch of the RNA meets in the Feversham Street headquarters of the Bradford Sea Cadets at 20.00 hours. Prince of Wales Own meets in the Bradford Moor Conservative Club at 19.30 hours.

Tomorrow: Coldstream Guards meet in the Northcliffe Golf Club at 19.30 hours. West Yorkshire branch of the Green Howards Association meets in the Headingley Club, Leeds, at 13.30 hours. Keighley branch of the Royal British Legion meets in Holingsroyde House, Lord Street, at 19.30 hours.

Monday: The Association of Wrens meets in the CVS Building, 19 Sunbridge Road at 13.30 hours. Thornton branch of the Royal British Legion meets in the Thornton Conservative Club at 19.45 hours.

Tuesday (October 27): HMS Ganges Association holds a social evening in the Sea Cadets headquarters after its 19.30 hours meeting. Bradford Central Royal British Legion meets at 13.00 hours in Unit 16, Listerhills Science Park.