Bradford Telegraph and ArgusBantams transfer business hinges on current players (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email

Bantams transfer business hinges on decisions of current players

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Phil Parkinson's transfer plans are determined by whether current City players accept new deals Phil Parkinson's transfer plans are determined by whether current City players accept new deals

Phil Parkinson today admitted City’s recruitment plans are “in limbo” until they know what is happening with the out-of-contract players.

Parkinson has been pressing on with transfer targets but the money available hinges on members of the current squad making up their mind.

Rory McArdle signed a new three-year deal earlier this week but City are waiting on others whose contracts are up. Stephen Darby, James Meredith and Jon McLaughlin are among those thought to be considering fresh offers.

With the wage budget down by £500,000 from last season, Parkinson wants to make sure the cash can stretch.

He said: “We’re working on several things and have more meetings lined up next week. But it’s early days and we’re just sounding people out at this stage.

“We’ve made offers for a few of our existing players. Until they decide what they are going to do, that leaves us in a little bit of limbo in terms of what we can offer others because the budget is lower.”

Midfielder Billy Knott, thought to be on Parkinson’s wanted list, insists he will not be rushed over his next move.

Knott, a free agent after being released by Sunderland, said on Twitter: “I haven’t signed for Bradford; it’s rumours.

“I won’t be making any decisions until I’ve had a nice holiday with friends and family.”

Port Vale are also chasing the 21-year-old’s signature after a successful loan spell there during the second half of last season.

 

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:23am Fri 23 May 14

silverbantam says...

Hasn't Nathan Doyle been offered a new contract ?
Hasn't Nathan Doyle been offered a new contract ? silverbantam
  • Score: -3

7:30am Fri 23 May 14

legend mccall says...

what about Nathan Doyle? IMO, he should've been one of the first players on the list to get a new contract
what about Nathan Doyle? IMO, he should've been one of the first players on the list to get a new contract legend mccall
  • Score: 6

7:59am Fri 23 May 14

bobbeatnik1 says...

So frustrating. How is it that we can't seem to get out of the blocks early when other teams can? Yet again we are probably going to end up with scraps of what's left over at the the end of June.
So frustrating. How is it that we can't seem to get out of the blocks early when other teams can? Yet again we are probably going to end up with scraps of what's left over at the the end of June. bobbeatnik1
  • Score: -1

8:23am Fri 23 May 14

BD16 says...

It's only a few weeks ago we had a story saying we were in a great position to do business early this year because we didn't have the distractions of the play offs to contend with.
It's only a few weeks ago we had a story saying we were in a great position to do business early this year because we didn't have the distractions of the play offs to contend with. BD16
  • Score: 24

8:34am Fri 23 May 14

bobbeatnik1 says...

BD16 wrote:
It's only a few weeks ago we had a story saying we were in a great position to do business early this year because we didn't have the distractions of the play offs to contend with.
Exactly. Told one thing by owners and another by Parky. Our current out of contract players are just as important but surely they should see the need for us to get a squad together as early as possible, whether they're staying or not.
[quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: It's only a few weeks ago we had a story saying we were in a great position to do business early this year because we didn't have the distractions of the play offs to contend with.[/p][/quote]Exactly. Told one thing by owners and another by Parky. Our current out of contract players are just as important but surely they should see the need for us to get a squad together as early as possible, whether they're staying or not. bobbeatnik1
  • Score: 22

8:40am Fri 23 May 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

They either want to play for City or they don't. They know the club and how it works. That is the offer, you have till Monday would be my proposition.

No player is bigger than the club, they are servants and l'd say well paid ones at the side of average employees.

How McLaughlin is considering is beyond me, he is the weak link from this gang. We could have a fine replacement for Meredith with Drury unless he's gone elsewhere. Strong rumours from the TBs are that Darby is talking to them. I think Simon Parker has forgotten about Doyle.

City have to progress and they can't be held to ransom by players pratting about.

I'm still surprised Jones wasn't given another year but yes his legs seemed to be slowing down.
They either want to play for City or they don't. They know the club and how it works. That is the offer, you have till Monday would be my proposition. No player is bigger than the club, they are servants and l'd say well paid ones at the side of average employees. How McLaughlin is considering is beyond me, he is the weak link from this gang. We could have a fine replacement for Meredith with Drury unless he's gone elsewhere. Strong rumours from the TBs are that Darby is talking to them. I think Simon Parker has forgotten about Doyle. City have to progress and they can't be held to ransom by players pratting about. I'm still surprised Jones wasn't given another year but yes his legs seemed to be slowing down. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 23

8:47am Fri 23 May 14

albioff says...

yes if we are waiting for that lot to make up their mind then it will go to the last few weeks of the season yet again. as always we sift through the leftovers right at the end. every season bcfc is a juggernaut slowly cranking up into gear.
yes if we are waiting for that lot to make up their mind then it will go to the last few weeks of the season yet again. as always we sift through the leftovers right at the end. every season bcfc is a juggernaut slowly cranking up into gear. albioff
  • Score: 8

9:05am Fri 23 May 14

PHILISAN says...

If everyone were to hold out for better offers,here or elsewhere..we would never be able to bring anyone in.There needs to be a 'D' day for accepting new contracts within the existing staff and a 'slush' fund set aside to allow parallel dealings to be completed in the cases of players joining us.Thought it would be the bread and butter of an Operations Manager.
If everyone were to hold out for better offers,here or elsewhere..we would never be able to bring anyone in.There needs to be a 'D' day for accepting new contracts within the existing staff and a 'slush' fund set aside to allow parallel dealings to be completed in the cases of players joining us.Thought it would be the bread and butter of an Operations Manager. PHILISAN
  • Score: 14

9:42am Fri 23 May 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

So glad you lot know how close season negotiations work.

We may as well let Phil and his team go on holiday and take the chairmen with them,

In message boards we trust.

Donkeys
So glad you lot know how close season negotiations work. We may as well let Phil and his team go on holiday and take the chairmen with them, In message boards we trust. Donkeys Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 21

11:03am Fri 23 May 14

tyker7745 says...

the players out of contract should have had new contracts offered on or before 31 January. If not they wee entitled to sign pre contract agreements with other club. I wonder if some have already done that and will sign for them after their last pay cheque at City on 30 June. WE will then know who is signing on and who is not!
the players out of contract should have had new contracts offered on or before 31 January. If not they wee entitled to sign pre contract agreements with other club. I wonder if some have already done that and will sign for them after their last pay cheque at City on 30 June. WE will then know who is signing on and who is not! tyker7745
  • Score: -6

11:18am Fri 23 May 14

wakefieldbantam says...

Here we go again!

Contracts for Darby, Meredith and Doyle should have been sorted weeks ago !
Here we go again! Contracts for Darby, Meredith and Doyle should have been sorted weeks ago ! wakefieldbantam
  • Score: 10

11:31am Fri 23 May 14

audal says...

If the above players have enjoyed the last two seasons so much why on earth are they deliberating over new contracts ? they will have been,I presume offered a improved pay structure and 2/3 year deals, yes, of course!!! these 3rd tier players have agents who need money and so are being manipulated like puppets(muppets?)
If the above players have enjoyed the last two seasons so much why on earth are they deliberating over new contracts ? they will have been,I presume offered a improved pay structure and 2/3 year deals, yes, of course!!! these 3rd tier players have agents who need money and so are being manipulated like puppets(muppets?) audal
  • Score: 10

11:36am Fri 23 May 14

spearmint wino says...

If high apply the logic we were given over the sale of Wells with his contract running down then why weren't Darby and Meredith offered new deals in January? This is totally a problem of our own making, yet again indecision by the board is costing us. We will never go forward until they start with some positive thinking and actions, take control of the situation!
If high apply the logic we were given over the sale of Wells with his contract running down then why weren't Darby and Meredith offered new deals in January? This is totally a problem of our own making, yet again indecision by the board is costing us. We will never go forward until they start with some positive thinking and actions, take control of the situation! spearmint wino
  • Score: -10

11:36am Fri 23 May 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
So glad you lot know how close season negotiations work.

We may as well let Phil and his team go on holiday and take the chairmen with them,

In message boards we trust.

Donkeys
Then you should be chastising Simon Parker too for writing the article.
Like the bloke below you says, players can just wait for June 30th and have scant regard for their previous employers.
[quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: So glad you lot know how close season negotiations work. We may as well let Phil and his team go on holiday and take the chairmen with them, In message boards we trust. Donkeys[/p][/quote]Then you should be chastising Simon Parker too for writing the article. Like the bloke below you says, players can just wait for June 30th and have scant regard for their previous employers. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 0

12:09pm Fri 23 May 14

OLD BANTAM says...

Good central midfielder from Newcastle .22 year old Conor Newton just singed for Rotherham on a free .
Good central midfielder from Newcastle .22 year old Conor Newton just singed for Rotherham on a free . OLD BANTAM
  • Score: -4

12:26pm Fri 23 May 14

TheCoach says...

OLD BANTAM wrote:
Good central midfielder from Newcastle .22 year old Conor Newton just singed for Rotherham on a free .
Chances are they're budget will be a tad higher than ours!!!
[quote][p][bold]OLD BANTAM[/bold] wrote: Good central midfielder from Newcastle .22 year old Conor Newton just singed for Rotherham on a free .[/p][/quote]Chances are they're budget will be a tad higher than ours!!! TheCoach
  • Score: 3

12:29pm Fri 23 May 14

Hearts Bantam says...

OLD BANTAM wrote:
Good central midfielder from Newcastle .22 year old Conor Newton just singed for Rotherham on a free .
Must have been the lure of the Championship that swung it ...come on you "O's"!
[quote][p][bold]OLD BANTAM[/bold] wrote: Good central midfielder from Newcastle .22 year old Conor Newton just singed for Rotherham on a free .[/p][/quote]Must have been the lure of the Championship that swung it ...come on you "O's"! Hearts Bantam
  • Score: 6

12:48pm Fri 23 May 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
Prisoner Cell Block A wrote:
So glad you lot know how close season negotiations work.

We may as well let Phil and his team go on holiday and take the chairmen with them,

In message boards we trust.

Donkeys
Then you should be chastising Simon Parker too for writing the article.
Like the bloke below you says, players can just wait for June 30th and have scant regard for their previous employers.
Simon, you naughty boy.

Happy?
[quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Prisoner Cell Block A[/bold] wrote: So glad you lot know how close season negotiations work. We may as well let Phil and his team go on holiday and take the chairmen with them, In message boards we trust. Donkeys[/p][/quote]Then you should be chastising Simon Parker too for writing the article. Like the bloke below you says, players can just wait for June 30th and have scant regard for their previous employers.[/p][/quote]Simon, you naughty boy. Happy? Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 7

1:06pm Fri 23 May 14

nowt fresh says...

Can't the club tell the relevant players they have until a certain date to say yes or no to the new contract offer.
Can't the club tell the relevant players they have until a certain date to say yes or no to the new contract offer. nowt fresh
  • Score: 2

1:37pm Fri 23 May 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

nowt fresh wrote:
Can't the club tell the relevant players they have until a certain date to say yes or no to the new contract offer.
Of course they can as an employer. Any employer can set an acceptance date on a contract offered.

As many players are now on holiday much of the negotiation will be stalled or done via agents, so the to-ing and fro-ing will continue until all parties can sit down or at least be in conference/agreement about the deals and the nuances of such.
[quote][p][bold]nowt fresh[/bold] wrote: Can't the club tell the relevant players they have until a certain date to say yes or no to the new contract offer.[/p][/quote]Of course they can as an employer. Any employer can set an acceptance date on a contract offered. As many players are now on holiday much of the negotiation will be stalled or done via agents, so the to-ing and fro-ing will continue until all parties can sit down or at least be in conference/agreement about the deals and the nuances of such. Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 3

3:00pm Fri 23 May 14

Bantambhoy says...

Darby looked a tad embarrassed when he was getting all his awards, don't you think?
Darby looked a tad embarrassed when he was getting all his awards, don't you think? Bantambhoy
  • Score: 1

3:04pm Fri 23 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

The usual batch of ill advised, ill informed, know-it-all attitudes.

Truth is that we do not know what is going on. If the guys are taking a couple of weeks away then good on them.

Ask yourselves a couple of questions: (1) Have Mark Lawn and Julian Rhodes ensured that you have a football club to watch? (2) Has Parky ever let you down?

Give it a rest.
The usual batch of ill advised, ill informed, know-it-all attitudes. Truth is that we do not know what is going on. If the guys are taking a couple of weeks away then good on them. Ask yourselves a couple of questions: (1) Have Mark Lawn and Julian Rhodes ensured that you have a football club to watch? (2) Has Parky ever let you down? Give it a rest. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 2

3:11pm Fri 23 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

Bantambhoy wrote:
Darby looked a tad embarrassed when he was getting all his awards, don't you think?
I have heard of God botherers but I didn't realise it extended to squad botherers.

Unless you know him, how can you possibly question his demeanor?

I know what you are suggesting but he might be a very modest and quiet human being.

Let him get his feet up and enjoy his ice cream. (Not in the Marlon King style).
[quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: Darby looked a tad embarrassed when he was getting all his awards, don't you think?[/p][/quote]I have heard of God botherers but I didn't realise it extended to squad botherers. Unless you know him, how can you possibly question his demeanor? I know what you are suggesting but he might be a very modest and quiet human being. Let him get his feet up and enjoy his ice cream. (Not in the Marlon King style). Michael Clayton
  • Score: -1

4:53pm Fri 23 May 14

Olivermac says...

Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
They either want to play for City or they don't. They know the club and how it works. That is the offer, you have till Monday would be my proposition.

No player is bigger than the club, they are servants and l'd say well paid ones at the side of average employees.

How McLaughlin is considering is beyond me, he is the weak link from this gang. We could have a fine replacement for Meredith with Drury unless he's gone elsewhere. Strong rumours from the TBs are that Darby is talking to them. I think Simon Parker has forgotten about Doyle.

City have to progress and they can't be held to ransom by players pratting about.

I'm still surprised Jones wasn't given another year but yes his legs seemed to be slowing down.
Tell McLaughlin accept or get.back to Harrogate he certainly will not be missed and I also agree regarding Meredith get Drury back in the fold he would be a super replacement I know he is a good bit older than Meredith but he is very fit and is not frightened to attack down the wings plus he would not cost anything Darby should have been tied up months ago that is really slack man management by City unless Darby made his mind up a long time ago to go to a possible championship club.
[quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: They either want to play for City or they don't. They know the club and how it works. That is the offer, you have till Monday would be my proposition. No player is bigger than the club, they are servants and l'd say well paid ones at the side of average employees. How McLaughlin is considering is beyond me, he is the weak link from this gang. We could have a fine replacement for Meredith with Drury unless he's gone elsewhere. Strong rumours from the TBs are that Darby is talking to them. I think Simon Parker has forgotten about Doyle. City have to progress and they can't be held to ransom by players pratting about. I'm still surprised Jones wasn't given another year but yes his legs seemed to be slowing down.[/p][/quote]Tell McLaughlin accept or get.back to Harrogate he certainly will not be missed and I also agree regarding Meredith get Drury back in the fold he would be a super replacement I know he is a good bit older than Meredith but he is very fit and is not frightened to attack down the wings plus he would not cost anything Darby should have been tied up months ago that is really slack man management by City unless Darby made his mind up a long time ago to go to a possible championship club. Olivermac
  • Score: -4

5:08pm Fri 23 May 14

Cyprus Bantam says...

My guess is that those players who have had fresh offers are waiting for interest from other clubs before committing themselves for another year at City. PP should set them a dead-line to decide one way or the other. He then will have time to recruit decent replacements.
My guess is that those players who have had fresh offers are waiting for interest from other clubs before committing themselves for another year at City. PP should set them a dead-line to decide one way or the other. He then will have time to recruit decent replacements. Cyprus Bantam
  • Score: 1

8:27pm Fri 23 May 14

garyh1 says...

Same old same old city , no real money , don't own the ground , budget down for next year , all the better free transfers snapped up by other clubs , last to release the poor players , last to sign up the good ones
WHAT THE HELL is going on ? Do your fans mean nothing to you ?
£50 on each of 10,000 season tickets and a promise to add it to the playing budget would have solved this problem !!!!!
Same old same old city , no real money , don't own the ground , budget down for next year , all the better free transfers snapped up by other clubs , last to release the poor players , last to sign up the good ones WHAT THE HELL is going on ? Do your fans mean nothing to you ? £50 on each of 10,000 season tickets and a promise to add it to the playing budget would have solved this problem !!!!! garyh1
  • Score: 7

8:33pm Fri 23 May 14

garyh1 says...

spearmint wino wrote:
If high apply the logic we were given over the sale of Wells with his contract running down then why weren't Darby and Meredith offered new deals in January? This is totally a problem of our own making, yet again indecision by the board is costing us. We will never go forward until they start with some positive thinking and actions, take control of the situation!
How you end up with so many thumbs down for common sense comment beats me , for what it's worth I agree with you not exactly actions of a club moving forward
[quote][p][bold]spearmint wino[/bold] wrote: If high apply the logic we were given over the sale of Wells with his contract running down then why weren't Darby and Meredith offered new deals in January? This is totally a problem of our own making, yet again indecision by the board is costing us. We will never go forward until they start with some positive thinking and actions, take control of the situation![/p][/quote]How you end up with so many thumbs down for common sense comment beats me , for what it's worth I agree with you not exactly actions of a club moving forward garyh1
  • Score: 2

8:41pm Fri 23 May 14

Waynus1971 says...

Yeah, it seems fair to me that our players of 1 or 2 seasons are kept dangling until the end of the season and now we expect them to make up their minds in 2/3 weeks!!!!

As soon as our future in L1 was secured, the players PP wanted to keep should have been offered new deals. Then, if they hadn't agreed fresh terms by the end of May, at least we would have given them time!!!

But we are, as fans, just as much to blame. Season tickets have been on sale for months and as of last night, we had sold just 4,227 with a further 1908 flexis...! How can the club offer good, competitive deals when our fans don't renew until the very last minute!!!!!
Yeah, it seems fair to me that our players of 1 or 2 seasons are kept dangling until the end of the season and now we expect them to make up their minds in 2/3 weeks!!!! As soon as our future in L1 was secured, the players PP wanted to keep should have been offered new deals. Then, if they hadn't agreed fresh terms by the end of May, at least we would have given them time!!! But we are, as fans, just as much to blame. Season tickets have been on sale for months and as of last night, we had sold just 4,227 with a further 1908 flexis...! How can the club offer good, competitive deals when our fans don't renew until the very last minute!!!!! Waynus1971
  • Score: 2

10:27am Sat 24 May 14

bcfc mad85 says...

Club's board once again saying the complete opposite to the pp as for waiting for the main players waiting or holding out for more money else where listen guys if you don't want to play football for the club just say and **** off we have a full team to buy stop hanging around and getting stuck with the scraps like usual
Club's board once again saying the complete opposite to the pp as for waiting for the main players waiting or holding out for more money else where listen guys if you don't want to play football for the club just say and **** off we have a full team to buy stop hanging around and getting stuck with the scraps like usual bcfc mad85
  • Score: 3

11:31am Sat 24 May 14

tyker7745 says...

Waynus1971 wrote:
Yeah, it seems fair to me that our players of 1 or 2 seasons are kept dangling until the end of the season and now we expect them to make up their minds in 2/3 weeks!!!!

As soon as our future in L1 was secured, the players PP wanted to keep should have been offered new deals. Then, if they hadn't agreed fresh terms by the end of May, at least we would have given them time!!!

But we are, as fans, just as much to blame. Season tickets have been on sale for months and as of last night, we had sold just 4,227 with a further 1908 flexis...! How can the club offer good, competitive deals when our fans don't renew until the very last minute!!!!!
Whilst acknowledging your points all players out of contract at the end of he season have to have offers in place on or before 31Jjauary of that season. That offer has to be better than that which a currently in place ( it can be £1.00 a week better).

If that offer does not materialise or is no accepted by the player he comes a free agent and can, if he wishes, sign a pre contract with someone else whilst letting his contract run down with his current club. City were well aware of this situation as evidenced by the need to move Wells on before 31 January. This if a player going out of contract is not offered a new contract or fails to sign a new contract he can leave for free unless the player is under certain age ( I think it is 23 or24) whereupon a settlement has to be negotiated with the purchasing club.

So why did City risk the loss of Darby and Meredith?
[quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: Yeah, it seems fair to me that our players of 1 or 2 seasons are kept dangling until the end of the season and now we expect them to make up their minds in 2/3 weeks!!!! As soon as our future in L1 was secured, the players PP wanted to keep should have been offered new deals. Then, if they hadn't agreed fresh terms by the end of May, at least we would have given them time!!! But we are, as fans, just as much to blame. Season tickets have been on sale for months and as of last night, we had sold just 4,227 with a further 1908 flexis...! How can the club offer good, competitive deals when our fans don't renew until the very last minute!!!!![/p][/quote]Whilst acknowledging your points all players out of contract at the end of he season have to have offers in place on or before 31Jjauary of that season. That offer has to be better than that which a currently in place ( it can be £1.00 a week better). If that offer does not materialise or is no accepted by the player he comes a free agent and can, if he wishes, sign a pre contract with someone else whilst letting his contract run down with his current club. City were well aware of this situation as evidenced by the need to move Wells on before 31 January. This if a player going out of contract is not offered a new contract or fails to sign a new contract he can leave for free unless the player is under certain age ( I think it is 23 or24) whereupon a settlement has to be negotiated with the purchasing club. So why did City risk the loss of Darby and Meredith? tyker7745
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Sat 24 May 14

LeedsBantam says...

I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.
I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this. LeedsBantam
  • Score: 1

6:42am Sun 25 May 14

tyker7745 says...

LeedsBantam wrote:
I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.
they knew the situation and must now risk the consequences. It is not a matter of the club moving them on : they are free agents and were on 1 February 2014
[quote][p][bold]LeedsBantam[/bold] wrote: I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.[/p][/quote]they knew the situation and must now risk the consequences. It is not a matter of the club moving them on : they are free agents and were on 1 February 2014 tyker7745
  • Score: 1

11:41am Sun 25 May 14

Michael Clayton says...

tyker7745 wrote:
LeedsBantam wrote:
I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.
they knew the situation and must now risk the consequences. It is not a matter of the club moving them on : they are free agents and were on 1 February 2014
Who, exactly, were the free agents as of 1 February 2014?
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LeedsBantam[/bold] wrote: I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.[/p][/quote]they knew the situation and must now risk the consequences. It is not a matter of the club moving them on : they are free agents and were on 1 February 2014[/p][/quote]Who, exactly, were the free agents as of 1 February 2014? Michael Clayton
  • Score: -2

4:55pm Sun 25 May 14

BD16 says...

tyker7745 wrote:
Waynus1971 wrote:
Yeah, it seems fair to me that our players of 1 or 2 seasons are kept dangling until the end of the season and now we expect them to make up their minds in 2/3 weeks!!!!

As soon as our future in L1 was secured, the players PP wanted to keep should have been offered new deals. Then, if they hadn't agreed fresh terms by the end of May, at least we would have given them time!!!

But we are, as fans, just as much to blame. Season tickets have been on sale for months and as of last night, we had sold just 4,227 with a further 1908 flexis...! How can the club offer good, competitive deals when our fans don't renew until the very last minute!!!!!
Whilst acknowledging your points all players out of contract at the end of he season have to have offers in place on or before 31Jjauary of that season. That offer has to be better than that which a currently in place ( it can be £1.00 a week better).

If that offer does not materialise or is no accepted by the player he comes a free agent and can, if he wishes, sign a pre contract with someone else whilst letting his contract run down with his current club. City were well aware of this situation as evidenced by the need to move Wells on before 31 January. This if a player going out of contract is not offered a new contract or fails to sign a new contract he can leave for free unless the player is under certain age ( I think it is 23 or24) whereupon a settlement has to be negotiated with the purchasing club.

So why did City risk the loss of Darby and Meredith?
That's all irrelevant as Darby, Meredith and Doyle, I presume that's who we are talking about here, are 25, 26 and 27.
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: Yeah, it seems fair to me that our players of 1 or 2 seasons are kept dangling until the end of the season and now we expect them to make up their minds in 2/3 weeks!!!! As soon as our future in L1 was secured, the players PP wanted to keep should have been offered new deals. Then, if they hadn't agreed fresh terms by the end of May, at least we would have given them time!!! But we are, as fans, just as much to blame. Season tickets have been on sale for months and as of last night, we had sold just 4,227 with a further 1908 flexis...! How can the club offer good, competitive deals when our fans don't renew until the very last minute!!!!![/p][/quote]Whilst acknowledging your points all players out of contract at the end of he season have to have offers in place on or before 31Jjauary of that season. That offer has to be better than that which a currently in place ( it can be £1.00 a week better). If that offer does not materialise or is no accepted by the player he comes a free agent and can, if he wishes, sign a pre contract with someone else whilst letting his contract run down with his current club. City were well aware of this situation as evidenced by the need to move Wells on before 31 January. This if a player going out of contract is not offered a new contract or fails to sign a new contract he can leave for free unless the player is under certain age ( I think it is 23 or24) whereupon a settlement has to be negotiated with the purchasing club. So why did City risk the loss of Darby and Meredith?[/p][/quote]That's all irrelevant as Darby, Meredith and Doyle, I presume that's who we are talking about here, are 25, 26 and 27. BD16
  • Score: 1

6:16am Mon 26 May 14

tyker7745 says...

BD16 wrote:
tyker7745 wrote:
Waynus1971 wrote:
Yeah, it seems fair to me that our players of 1 or 2 seasons are kept dangling until the end of the season and now we expect them to make up their minds in 2/3 weeks!!!!

As soon as our future in L1 was secured, the players PP wanted to keep should have been offered new deals. Then, if they hadn't agreed fresh terms by the end of May, at least we would have given them time!!!

But we are, as fans, just as much to blame. Season tickets have been on sale for months and as of last night, we had sold just 4,227 with a further 1908 flexis...! How can the club offer good, competitive deals when our fans don't renew until the very last minute!!!!!
Whilst acknowledging your points all players out of contract at the end of he season have to have offers in place on or before 31Jjauary of that season. That offer has to be better than that which a currently in place ( it can be £1.00 a week better).

If that offer does not materialise or is no accepted by the player he comes a free agent and can, if he wishes, sign a pre contract with someone else whilst letting his contract run down with his current club. City were well aware of this situation as evidenced by the need to move Wells on before 31 January. This if a player going out of contract is not offered a new contract or fails to sign a new contract he can leave for free unless the player is under certain age ( I think it is 23 or24) whereupon a settlement has to be negotiated with the purchasing club.

So why did City risk the loss of Darby and Meredith?
That's all irrelevant as Darby, Meredith and Doyle, I presume that's who we are talking about here, are 25, 26 and 27.
yes so we will not get any fee for any of those players as they are all free agents.
[quote][p][bold]BD16[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Waynus1971[/bold] wrote: Yeah, it seems fair to me that our players of 1 or 2 seasons are kept dangling until the end of the season and now we expect them to make up their minds in 2/3 weeks!!!! As soon as our future in L1 was secured, the players PP wanted to keep should have been offered new deals. Then, if they hadn't agreed fresh terms by the end of May, at least we would have given them time!!! But we are, as fans, just as much to blame. Season tickets have been on sale for months and as of last night, we had sold just 4,227 with a further 1908 flexis...! How can the club offer good, competitive deals when our fans don't renew until the very last minute!!!!![/p][/quote]Whilst acknowledging your points all players out of contract at the end of he season have to have offers in place on or before 31Jjauary of that season. That offer has to be better than that which a currently in place ( it can be £1.00 a week better). If that offer does not materialise or is no accepted by the player he comes a free agent and can, if he wishes, sign a pre contract with someone else whilst letting his contract run down with his current club. City were well aware of this situation as evidenced by the need to move Wells on before 31 January. This if a player going out of contract is not offered a new contract or fails to sign a new contract he can leave for free unless the player is under certain age ( I think it is 23 or24) whereupon a settlement has to be negotiated with the purchasing club. So why did City risk the loss of Darby and Meredith?[/p][/quote]That's all irrelevant as Darby, Meredith and Doyle, I presume that's who we are talking about here, are 25, 26 and 27.[/p][/quote]yes so we will not get any fee for any of those players as they are all free agents. tyker7745
  • Score: 0

6:24am Mon 26 May 14

tyker7745 says...

Michael Clayton wrote:
tyker7745 wrote:
LeedsBantam wrote:
I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.
they knew the situation and must now risk the consequences. It is not a matter of the club moving them on : they are free agents and were on 1 February 2014
Who, exactly, were the free agents as of 1 February 2014?
those players whose contacts ended as of the end of this season. Had no offer been made, or better offer than existed before the end of January 31 they became free agents ad could sign pre contacts with other clubs and fulfil their contract with us before signing a full contract with their new cub as soon as this contract ended. Thank Bosman for this situation!


Why o you think we were so keen to sell Wells before that deadline: Had we not sold him he would have gone for free at the end of the season
[quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LeedsBantam[/bold] wrote: I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.[/p][/quote]they knew the situation and must now risk the consequences. It is not a matter of the club moving them on : they are free agents and were on 1 February 2014[/p][/quote]Who, exactly, were the free agents as of 1 February 2014?[/p][/quote]those players whose contacts ended as of the end of this season. Had no offer been made, or better offer than existed before the end of January 31 they became free agents ad could sign pre contacts with other clubs and fulfil their contract with us before signing a full contract with their new cub as soon as this contract ended. Thank Bosman for this situation! Why o you think we were so keen to sell Wells before that deadline: Had we not sold him he would have gone for free at the end of the season tyker7745
  • Score: 0

1:15pm Tue 27 May 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

garyh1 wrote:
Same old same old city , no real money , don't own the ground , budget down for next year , all the better free transfers snapped up by other clubs , last to release the poor players , last to sign up the good ones
WHAT THE HELL is going on ? Do your fans mean nothing to you ?
£50 on each of 10,000 season tickets and a promise to add it to the playing budget would have solved this problem !!!!!
"Do your fans mean nothing to you?"

Charge the fans more.

Didn't think that one through too well did you?
[quote][p][bold]garyh1[/bold] wrote: Same old same old city , no real money , don't own the ground , budget down for next year , all the better free transfers snapped up by other clubs , last to release the poor players , last to sign up the good ones WHAT THE HELL is going on ? Do your fans mean nothing to you ? £50 on each of 10,000 season tickets and a promise to add it to the playing budget would have solved this problem !!!!![/p][/quote]"Do your fans mean nothing to you?" Charge the fans more. Didn't think that one through too well did you? Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Tue 27 May 14

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

tyker7745 wrote:
Michael Clayton wrote:
tyker7745 wrote:
LeedsBantam wrote:
I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.
they knew the situation and must now risk the consequences. It is not a matter of the club moving them on : they are free agents and were on 1 February 2014
Who, exactly, were the free agents as of 1 February 2014?
those players whose contacts ended as of the end of this season. Had no offer been made, or better offer than existed before the end of January 31 they became free agents ad could sign pre contacts with other clubs and fulfil their contract with us before signing a full contract with their new cub as soon as this contract ended. Thank Bosman for this situation!


Why o you think we were so keen to sell Wells before that deadline: Had we not sold him he would have gone for free at the end of the season
Ok, I refer to my earlier post, as a contract specialist, how do you know who has or hasn't had an offer? How much was it improved by? What details are being considered within this contract offer, if indeed one has or hasn't been made?
[quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael Clayton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tyker7745[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LeedsBantam[/bold] wrote: I would love to keep the players offered new deals, but if the situation is going to drag on, then move on as a club, but it seems the club may have dropped a clanger in not putting offers on the table slightly earlier, although I except that the delay in confirming our !! status added to this.[/p][/quote]they knew the situation and must now risk the consequences. It is not a matter of the club moving them on : they are free agents and were on 1 February 2014[/p][/quote]Who, exactly, were the free agents as of 1 February 2014?[/p][/quote]those players whose contacts ended as of the end of this season. Had no offer been made, or better offer than existed before the end of January 31 they became free agents ad could sign pre contacts with other clubs and fulfil their contract with us before signing a full contract with their new cub as soon as this contract ended. Thank Bosman for this situation! Why o you think we were so keen to sell Wells before that deadline: Had we not sold him he would have gone for free at the end of the season[/p][/quote]Ok, I refer to my earlier post, as a contract specialist, how do you know who has or hasn't had an offer? How much was it improved by? What details are being considered within this contract offer, if indeed one has or hasn't been made? Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree