Two historic Bradford pubs mentioned in new guide

William Wagstaff , owner of The New Beehive in Westgate, in the pub's impressive interior

The New Beehive Westgate Bradford is in the historic pubs guide

The New Beehive Westgate Bradford is in the historic pubs guide

The New Beehive Westgate Bradford is in the historic pubs guide

The New Beehive Westgate Bradford is in the historic pubs guide. Barmaid Melissa Deans lights up the lamps

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , T&A Reporter

TWO Bradford pubs have made it into CAMRA's new guide to hostelries with real historic significance in Yorkshire and the Humber .

The full-colour campaigning guide to the pubs which still have interiors or internal features of historical significance include The New Beehive in Westgate and the now-shut Cock & Bottle in Barkerend.

The Cock and Bottle, a Grade II listed building, has been described in the guide as a “late Victorian gem” while The New Beehive has been helped by a remodelling. The pub originates from 1901, but was refurbished in 1936 by William Whitaker & Co, one of Bradford’s leading brewers of the time.

William Wagstaff, who has owned The New Beehive for 25 years, said walking into his pub was like walking through a time-warp.

He said: "I've spent huge sums of money to bring it back to its former splendour, there have been no modern improvements. We still have the gas lighting and fitted seating. It was built in a grand style and my task is to be the guardian of it so hopefully it can be preserved for the future.

"But of course that will only happen if people keep using pubs like this."

The revised edition of the pub guide builds on the success of the sell-out first edition published in 2011 and is the only publication of its kind to cover the Yorkshire region.

Not only does it aim to celebrate the heritage pubs that are open and trading but it also highlights the sad reality of how few are left and the threats they face, said its Editor Dave Gamston.

The guide also highlights a planning ‘loophole’ that allows many pubs to be turned into supermarkets or converted for other retail or office use without the need of planning permission, added Mr Gamston.

"In telling the story of important pubs we have recently lost, Yorkshire’s Real Heritage Pubs reflects on other major failings in our planning and heritage protection systems. We believe it will have wide appeal as an enjoyable and informative guidebook for locals and visitors to Yorkshire. At the same time we hope it will provide a serious working reference – and wake up call! – for the people and official bodies who control the destinies of Yorkshire’s pubs”

The new guide will be officially launched by Greg Mulholland MP, Leeds North West and Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Save the Pub Group.

Yorkshire's Real Heritage Pubs costs £4.99 and features 119 pubs in all, giving informative text to highlight their significance. It can be bought either directly from CAMRA on 01727 867201, in all good bookshops and some of the featured pubs.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:50am Thu 28 Aug 14

Mike Strutter says...

The new beehive looks fantastic.

However has anyone seen inside the **** & bottle since it closed ? Weren't the owners caught trying to rip out various parts of the interior ?
The new beehive looks fantastic. However has anyone seen inside the **** & bottle since it closed ? Weren't the owners caught trying to rip out various parts of the interior ? Mike Strutter
  • Score: 15

7:24am Thu 28 Aug 14

bd7 helper says...

We need more pubs in bradford
We need more pubs in bradford bd7 helper
  • Score: 17

7:37am Thu 28 Aug 14

Victor Clayton says...

No fighting ****
No fighting **** Victor Clayton
  • Score: 10

9:42am Thu 28 Aug 14

bcfc1903 says...

Regarding the **** and Bottle, don't think any alterations were done and I believe it's been put back on the market. It's position is a major factor in it's demise, if it was on North Parade or any other part of the city centre I believe it would still be pulling in the punters.
Regarding the **** and Bottle, don't think any alterations were done and I believe it's been put back on the market. It's position is a major factor in it's demise, if it was on North Parade or any other part of the city centre I believe it would still be pulling in the punters. bcfc1903
  • Score: 17

10:43am Thu 28 Aug 14

Ian H 1971 says...

In the immortal words of Top Gear's James May, "Oh ****!" :D
In the immortal words of Top Gear's James May, "Oh ****!" :D Ian H 1971
  • Score: -2

3:13pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Bikerbeardy says...

Mike Strutter wrote:
The new beehive looks fantastic.

However has anyone seen inside the **** & bottle since it closed ? Weren't the owners caught trying to rip out various parts of the interior ?
The **** and bottles owner, Aftab Ali , got planning consent last year to make alterations, cant remember if he did anything, tho remember a T&A story about him ripping parts of it out because he put it on the market but had no interest from brewerys or any one in pub trade, so who knows what the inside looks like !!
[quote][p][bold]Mike Strutter[/bold] wrote: The new beehive looks fantastic. However has anyone seen inside the **** & bottle since it closed ? Weren't the owners caught trying to rip out various parts of the interior ?[/p][/quote]The **** and bottles owner, Aftab Ali , got planning consent last year to make alterations, cant remember if he did anything, tho remember a T&A story about him ripping parts of it out because he put it on the market but had no interest from brewerys or any one in pub trade, so who knows what the inside looks like !! Bikerbeardy
  • Score: 5

3:34pm Thu 28 Aug 14

llos25 says...

They might have had bit of wood in the bar but both pubs were and are absolute tips and should be pulled down and forgotten about..
They might have had bit of wood in the bar but both pubs were and are absolute tips and should be pulled down and forgotten about.. llos25
  • Score: -15

4:32pm Thu 28 Aug 14

basil fawlty says...

The C and Bottle was the best pub in Bradford not so long ago when Greenwoods Brewery was based there and running it. Unfortuately the owner died and nobody with the same enthusiasm and ability has subsequently taken it on, probably mainly because it is not sufficiently near to the city centre and not far from the hole. I recall that Greenwoods had a certain amount of trouble keeping out the low life element and when the pub passed onto new management it went downhill fast. It surely could still be a success once again with the right management and helped by increased town centre footfall becaause of the Broadway shopping centre and other developments.
I've driven past the pub many times and suspect that some alterations have already been made inside.
The C and Bottle was the best pub in Bradford not so long ago when Greenwoods Brewery was based there and running it. Unfortuately the owner died and nobody with the same enthusiasm and ability has subsequently taken it on, probably mainly because it is not sufficiently near to the city centre and not far from the hole. I recall that Greenwoods had a certain amount of trouble keeping out the low life element and when the pub passed onto new management it went downhill fast. It surely could still be a success once again with the right management and helped by increased town centre footfall becaause of the Broadway shopping centre and other developments. I've driven past the pub many times and suspect that some alterations have already been made inside. basil fawlty
  • Score: 3

7:10pm Thu 28 Aug 14

bcfc1903 says...

basil fawlty wrote:
The C and Bottle was the best pub in Bradford not so long ago when Greenwoods Brewery was based there and running it. Unfortuately the owner died and nobody with the same enthusiasm and ability has subsequently taken it on, probably mainly because it is not sufficiently near to the city centre and not far from the hole. I recall that Greenwoods had a certain amount of trouble keeping out the low life element and when the pub passed onto new management it went downhill fast. It surely could still be a success once again with the right management and helped by increased town centre footfall becaause of the Broadway shopping centre and other developments.
I've driven past the pub many times and suspect that some alterations have already been made inside.
If that is true that would be a great shame, have always loved the Olde Worlde type fittings and decor. Hopefully this isn't the case in regards to the inside and it's still intact. As you say with Broadway coming on line around Christmas 2015 that could be a window of opportunity in regards to footfall if it was open for business around that time.
[quote][p][bold]basil fawlty[/bold] wrote: The C and Bottle was the best pub in Bradford not so long ago when Greenwoods Brewery was based there and running it. Unfortuately the owner died and nobody with the same enthusiasm and ability has subsequently taken it on, probably mainly because it is not sufficiently near to the city centre and not far from the hole. I recall that Greenwoods had a certain amount of trouble keeping out the low life element and when the pub passed onto new management it went downhill fast. It surely could still be a success once again with the right management and helped by increased town centre footfall becaause of the Broadway shopping centre and other developments. I've driven past the pub many times and suspect that some alterations have already been made inside.[/p][/quote]If that is true that would be a great shame, have always loved the Olde Worlde type fittings and decor. Hopefully this isn't the case in regards to the inside and it's still intact. As you say with Broadway coming on line around Christmas 2015 that could be a window of opportunity in regards to footfall if it was open for business around that time. bcfc1903
  • Score: 6

9:04pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Dave Holdsworth says...

bd7 helper wrote:
We need more pubs in bradford
Not!!!
[quote][p][bold]bd7 helper[/bold] wrote: We need more pubs in bradford[/p][/quote]Not!!! Dave Holdsworth
  • Score: -3

5:26am Fri 29 Aug 14

philosospher says...

Dave Holdsworth wrote:
bd7 helper wrote:
We need more pubs in bradford
Not!!!
Bradford is no longer the place for neighbourhood pubs anymore (about 75% have gone) ... mainly because it doesn't have any neighbourhoods anymore. It's now the wild west (or to be precise, the wold east). The few bars left are either neglected originals (last time I visited the Corn Dolly I couldn't even get a coffee at lunch time) suffering from diminishing support, or soulless chain-outlets used by transients and dysfunctionals with no local connection.
[quote][p][bold]Dave Holdsworth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bd7 helper[/bold] wrote: We need more pubs in bradford[/p][/quote]Not!!![/p][/quote]Bradford is no longer the place for neighbourhood pubs anymore (about 75% have gone) ... mainly because it doesn't have any neighbourhoods anymore. It's now the wild west (or to be precise, the wold east). The few bars left are either neglected originals (last time I visited the Corn Dolly I couldn't even get a coffee at lunch time) suffering from diminishing support, or soulless chain-outlets used by transients and dysfunctionals with no local connection. philosospher
  • Score: 0

8:25am Fri 29 Aug 14

llos25 says...

basil fawlty wrote:
The C and Bottle was the best pub in Bradford not so long ago when Greenwoods Brewery was based there and running it. Unfortuately the owner died and nobody with the same enthusiasm and ability has subsequently taken it on, probably mainly because it is not sufficiently near to the city centre and not far from the hole. I recall that Greenwoods had a certain amount of trouble keeping out the low life element and when the pub passed onto new management it went downhill fast. It surely could still be a success once again with the right management and helped by increased town centre footfall becaause of the Broadway shopping centre and other developments.
I've driven past the pub many times and suspect that some alterations have already been made inside.
I must say you must be easily pleased as far as the majority of people were concerned it was a tip not top frequented by normal people, the closure proves my point.
[quote][p][bold]basil fawlty[/bold] wrote: The C and Bottle was the best pub in Bradford not so long ago when Greenwoods Brewery was based there and running it. Unfortuately the owner died and nobody with the same enthusiasm and ability has subsequently taken it on, probably mainly because it is not sufficiently near to the city centre and not far from the hole. I recall that Greenwoods had a certain amount of trouble keeping out the low life element and when the pub passed onto new management it went downhill fast. It surely could still be a success once again with the right management and helped by increased town centre footfall becaause of the Broadway shopping centre and other developments. I've driven past the pub many times and suspect that some alterations have already been made inside.[/p][/quote]I must say you must be easily pleased as far as the majority of people were concerned it was a tip not top frequented by normal people, the closure proves my point. llos25
  • Score: -3

10:41am Fri 29 Aug 14

bcfc1903 says...

bcfc1903 wrote:
basil fawlty wrote:
The C and Bottle was the best pub in Bradford not so long ago when Greenwoods Brewery was based there and running it. Unfortuately the owner died and nobody with the same enthusiasm and ability has subsequently taken it on, probably mainly because it is not sufficiently near to the city centre and not far from the hole. I recall that Greenwoods had a certain amount of trouble keeping out the low life element and when the pub passed onto new management it went downhill fast. It surely could still be a success once again with the right management and helped by increased town centre footfall becaause of the Broadway shopping centre and other developments.
I've driven past the pub many times and suspect that some alterations have already been made inside.
If that is true that would be a great shame, have always loved the Olde Worlde type fittings and decor. Hopefully this isn't the case in regards to the inside and it's still intact. As you say with Broadway coming on line around Christmas 2015 that could be a window of opportunity in regards to footfall if it was open for business around that time.
bump
[quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]basil fawlty[/bold] wrote: The C and Bottle was the best pub in Bradford not so long ago when Greenwoods Brewery was based there and running it. Unfortuately the owner died and nobody with the same enthusiasm and ability has subsequently taken it on, probably mainly because it is not sufficiently near to the city centre and not far from the hole. I recall that Greenwoods had a certain amount of trouble keeping out the low life element and when the pub passed onto new management it went downhill fast. It surely could still be a success once again with the right management and helped by increased town centre footfall becaause of the Broadway shopping centre and other developments. I've driven past the pub many times and suspect that some alterations have already been made inside.[/p][/quote]If that is true that would be a great shame, have always loved the Olde Worlde type fittings and decor. Hopefully this isn't the case in regards to the inside and it's still intact. As you say with Broadway coming on line around Christmas 2015 that could be a window of opportunity in regards to footfall if it was open for business around that time.[/p][/quote]bump bcfc1903
  • Score: 1

11:40am Fri 29 Aug 14

Brighton Bill says...

bcfc1903 wrote:
Regarding the **** and Bottle, don't think any alterations were done and I believe it's been put back on the market. It's position is a major factor in it's demise, if it was on North Parade or any other part of the city centre I believe it would still be pulling in the punters.
You are talking absolute rubbish, the inside has been totally wrecked, go and have a look for yourself. This pub is now prime site for a Tesco's.
[quote][p][bold]bcfc1903[/bold] wrote: Regarding the **** and Bottle, don't think any alterations were done and I believe it's been put back on the market. It's position is a major factor in it's demise, if it was on North Parade or any other part of the city centre I believe it would still be pulling in the punters.[/p][/quote]You are talking absolute rubbish, the inside has been totally wrecked, go and have a look for yourself. This pub is now prime site for a Tesco's. Brighton Bill
  • Score: 5

11:48am Fri 29 Aug 14

Brighton Bill says...

Just go and look throught the windows, the owner has ripped the inside out, this is a listed building and this has been done illegally, possible prosecution is pending, we will see if the Council has a backbone.
Just go and look throught the windows, the owner has ripped the inside out, this is a listed building and this has been done illegally, possible prosecution is pending, we will see if the Council has a backbone. Brighton Bill
  • Score: 5

10:48am Tue 2 Sep 14

Wanna Have says...

A pint is too expensive for the normal working man now.it's all about denial now if you go out,you used to be able to drink 5-10 pints have a good night, and not worry to much about the cost,now it hammers the bank balance.
A pint is too expensive for the normal working man now.it's all about denial now if you go out,you used to be able to drink 5-10 pints have a good night, and not worry to much about the cost,now it hammers the bank balance. Wanna Have
  • Score: -1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree