FIREFIGHTERS rushed to a Keighley street after residents reported sparks and flames coming from the pavement outside their house.

The dramatic sight in Balfour Street just before lunchtime today was accompanied by a power cut at several nearby houses.

The flames had stopped by the time the Keighley fire crew arrived, and firefighters isolated the danger site until electricity engineers arrived.

A spokesman for Keighley Fire Station said the cause of the incident was unknown, but in the past similar incidents had been caused by water leaking onto cables or nearby roadworks.

He said: “The family was inside the house with the door open because it was so humid, so they could see the sparks outside.”