Dozens of Bradford schools likely to be shut by teachers' strike

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: ACTION: Teachers demonstrate during a previous strike ACTION: Teachers demonstrate during a previous strike

Dozens of Bradford schools are expected to be shut on Thursday as part of strike action by several different unions, including the National Union of Teachers.

So far 21 schools across the district have announced they will shut due to the strike, with a further 12 partial closures but that number is expected to increase in the run-up to the mass public sector worker strike.

Joining the NUT will be the GMB union and UNISON, which both represent council and non-teaching school staff, and the Public and Commercial Services Union.

The Fire Brigades Union will stage 15 two hours strikes over eight consecutive days starting on Monday, July 14.

In Bradford the national strike on July 10 will be marked by a cross union rally in City Park.

The strike will be over below inflation pay rises, conditions and pensions in public sector jobs.

Half of the district's teachers are believed to be represented by the NUT, and a strike by the union in March affected at least 115 Bradford schools.

Nationally, council staff, school support workers, teachers and civil servants are expected to take part in the strike, and with estimates claiming it will involve between one and two million workers it could be the biggest since 2010.

Ian Murch, Bradford spokesman for the NUT, said the strike had been timed to avoid any school exams. He added: "We were originally going to be striking earlier, but when other unions that represent school staff were planning on striking on the 10th we decided that rather than have two different days of disruption on schools we'd have it on the same day.

"We didn't want to strike when exams were on."

He said that as well as pay rises that did not match inflation, the NUT was striking over increasing pressures on teachers - which have seen some primary teachers working 60 hours a week.

Mr Murch added: "If there is any proper movements towards a solution by the Government we will call this strike off."

The rally in City Park will start at 11am on Thursday.

A Council spokesman said it would be up to individual schools and their governors whether they opened on the day of the strike.

Schools will inform parents if they are shutting because of the strike, and details will also be included on the Bradford Council website.

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:10am Mon 7 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Public sympathy for this is nil. Teacher due to the number of time they strike which is on average every few month are driving a wedge between those who they want support from.
They seem to live in a bubble where they think they are low paid when they are well above minimum wage and that their terms are unfair.
Maybe if teaching is so badly paid, they should move into the shoes of others on zero hour contracts on minimum wage with no pension scheme.
Public sympathy for this is nil. Teacher due to the number of time they strike which is on average every few month are driving a wedge between those who they want support from. They seem to live in a bubble where they think they are low paid when they are well above minimum wage and that their terms are unfair. Maybe if teaching is so badly paid, they should move into the shoes of others on zero hour contracts on minimum wage with no pension scheme. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35

8:19am Mon 7 Jul 14

bd7 helper says...

Make it simple give everyone a pay rise.
Make it simple give everyone a pay rise. bd7 helper
  • Score: -34

8:24am Mon 7 Jul 14

Craig says...

This is not just a teachers strike, in fact two of the Unions striking have nothing to do with representing teachers. There are as many, if not more, ancillary workers striking on this occasion - don't let that stand in the way of a rant though eh?
This is not just a teachers strike, in fact two of the Unions striking have nothing to do with representing teachers. There are as many, if not more, ancillary workers striking on this occasion - don't let that stand in the way of a rant though eh? Craig
  • Score: -18

8:27am Mon 7 Jul 14

OLDLAD says...

60 hours for a primary school. Shouldn't have signed opt out of working hours then. Working time directive is there to help. If you are that busy employ more teachers.
60 hours for a primary school. Shouldn't have signed opt out of working hours then. Working time directive is there to help. If you are that busy employ more teachers. OLDLAD
  • Score: -26

9:04am Mon 7 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Craig wrote:
This is not just a teachers strike, in fact two of the Unions striking have nothing to do with representing teachers. There are as many, if not more, ancillary workers striking on this occasion - don't let that stand in the way of a rant though eh?
Their strikes are not as often. They use striking as it should be, a last resort.
It was in the paper not long back that these teachers were complaining of not being paid for strikes. I don't think some see it anything other than a day off. http://www.thetelegr
aphandargus.co.uk/ne
ws/11213194.Bradford
_University_under_fi
re_for_docking_strik
ers__pay/?ref=rss
[quote][p][bold]Craig[/bold] wrote: This is not just a teachers strike, in fact two of the Unions striking have nothing to do with representing teachers. There are as many, if not more, ancillary workers striking on this occasion - don't let that stand in the way of a rant though eh?[/p][/quote]Their strikes are not as often. They use striking as it should be, a last resort. It was in the paper not long back that these teachers were complaining of not being paid for strikes. I don't think some see it anything other than a day off. http://www.thetelegr aphandargus.co.uk/ne ws/11213194.Bradford _University_under_fi re_for_docking_strik ers__pay/?ref=rss Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -31

9:23am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Public sympathy for this is nil. Teacher due to the number of time they strike which is on average every few month are driving a wedge between those who they want support from.
They seem to live in a bubble where they think they are low paid when they are well above minimum wage and that their terms are unfair.
Maybe if teaching is so badly paid, they should move into the shoes of others on zero hour contracts on minimum wage with no pension scheme.
You make the mistake of thinking this strike by public service workers is about teachers versus lower paid workers. Surely the point is to bring more workers together to make a stand against a government that is hammering ALL working people by keeping wages low.

This government is happy to keep wages low whilst making sure their friends in the city get richer and richer.

People who caused the 2008 crash have done even better whilst those that didn't are made to pay for it.

That's why people will strike on Thursday-against unfairness. Those same people who will strike this week want an end to zero hours, temporary contracts that go on forever, people on poverty wages, and decreasing rights in the workplace.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Public sympathy for this is nil. Teacher due to the number of time they strike which is on average every few month are driving a wedge between those who they want support from. They seem to live in a bubble where they think they are low paid when they are well above minimum wage and that their terms are unfair. Maybe if teaching is so badly paid, they should move into the shoes of others on zero hour contracts on minimum wage with no pension scheme.[/p][/quote]You make the mistake of thinking this strike by public service workers is about teachers versus lower paid workers. Surely the point is to bring more workers together to make a stand against a government that is hammering ALL working people by keeping wages low. This government is happy to keep wages low whilst making sure their friends in the city get richer and richer. People who caused the 2008 crash have done even better whilst those that didn't are made to pay for it. That's why people will strike on Thursday-against unfairness. Those same people who will strike this week want an end to zero hours, temporary contracts that go on forever, people on poverty wages, and decreasing rights in the workplace. Cityman23
  • Score: -20

9:23am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Public sympathy for this is nil. Teacher due to the number of time they strike which is on average every few month are driving a wedge between those who they want support from.
They seem to live in a bubble where they think they are low paid when they are well above minimum wage and that their terms are unfair.
Maybe if teaching is so badly paid, they should move into the shoes of others on zero hour contracts on minimum wage with no pension scheme.
You make the mistake of thinking this strike by public service workers is about teachers versus lower paid workers. Surely the point is to bring more workers together to make a stand against a government that is hammering ALL working people by keeping wages low.

This government is happy to keep wages low whilst making sure their friends in the city get richer and richer.

People who caused the 2008 crash have done even better whilst those that didn't are made to pay for it.

That's why people will strike on Thursday-against unfairness. Those same people who will strike this week want an end to zero hours, temporary contracts that go on forever, people on poverty wages, and decreasing rights in the workplace.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Public sympathy for this is nil. Teacher due to the number of time they strike which is on average every few month are driving a wedge between those who they want support from. They seem to live in a bubble where they think they are low paid when they are well above minimum wage and that their terms are unfair. Maybe if teaching is so badly paid, they should move into the shoes of others on zero hour contracts on minimum wage with no pension scheme.[/p][/quote]You make the mistake of thinking this strike by public service workers is about teachers versus lower paid workers. Surely the point is to bring more workers together to make a stand against a government that is hammering ALL working people by keeping wages low. This government is happy to keep wages low whilst making sure their friends in the city get richer and richer. People who caused the 2008 crash have done even better whilst those that didn't are made to pay for it. That's why people will strike on Thursday-against unfairness. Those same people who will strike this week want an end to zero hours, temporary contracts that go on forever, people on poverty wages, and decreasing rights in the workplace. Cityman23
  • Score: -24

9:26am Mon 7 Jul 14

BierleyBoy says...

If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'. BierleyBoy
  • Score: 28

9:32am Mon 7 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan. Andy2010
  • Score: 34

9:35am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

BierleyBoy wrote:
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain!
[quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.[/p][/quote]Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain! Cityman23
  • Score: -22

9:38am Mon 7 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
BierleyBoy wrote:
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain!
Good

Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.[/p][/quote]Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain![/p][/quote]Good Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices Andy2010
  • Score: 33

9:44am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
BierleyBoy wrote:
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain!
Good

Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices
No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights.

Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.[/p][/quote]Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain![/p][/quote]Good Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices[/p][/quote]No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights. Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf. Cityman23
  • Score: -15

9:48am Mon 7 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
BierleyBoy wrote:
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain!
Good

Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices
No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights.

Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.
Thats right

Tories = Bad

Labour / Unions = Good

Wish I had the simplistic view you did

Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.[/p][/quote]Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain![/p][/quote]Good Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices[/p][/quote]No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights. Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.[/p][/quote]Thats right Tories = Bad Labour / Unions = Good Wish I had the simplistic view you did Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs. Andy2010
  • Score: 20

9:58am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
BierleyBoy wrote:
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain!
Good

Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices
No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights.

Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.
Thats right

Tories = Bad

Labour / Unions = Good

Wish I had the simplistic view you did

Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.
So you're now arguing unions shouldn't be toothless? I agree with that! Tories these days basically want working working people screwed down and that's where they are at present. But times change, people learn and eventually things will change. The rich and comfortably off have had it pretty good for a while but many people are sick of the status quo-sick of seeing the
least well off struggling whilst the top 20% continue to live the high life. "All in it together" as Mr Osborne said with a smirk on his face, you must be joking!
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.[/p][/quote]Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain![/p][/quote]Good Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices[/p][/quote]No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights. Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.[/p][/quote]Thats right Tories = Bad Labour / Unions = Good Wish I had the simplistic view you did Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.[/p][/quote]So you're now arguing unions shouldn't be toothless? I agree with that! Tories these days basically want working working people screwed down and that's where they are at present. But times change, people learn and eventually things will change. The rich and comfortably off have had it pretty good for a while but many people are sick of the status quo-sick of seeing the least well off struggling whilst the top 20% continue to live the high life. "All in it together" as Mr Osborne said with a smirk on his face, you must be joking! Cityman23
  • Score: -12

10:03am Mon 7 Jul 14

JAtkinson says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Public sympathy for this is nil. Teacher due to the number of time they strike which is on average every few month are driving a wedge between those who they want support from.
They seem to live in a bubble where they think they are low paid when they are well above minimum wage and that their terms are unfair.
Maybe if teaching is so badly paid, they should move into the shoes of others on zero hour contracts on minimum wage with no pension scheme.
You make the mistake of thinking this strike by public service workers is about teachers versus lower paid workers. Surely the point is to bring more workers together to make a stand against a government that is hammering ALL working people by keeping wages low.

This government is happy to keep wages low whilst making sure their friends in the city get richer and richer.

People who caused the 2008 crash have done even better whilst those that didn't are made to pay for it.

That's why people will strike on Thursday-against unfairness. Those same people who will strike this week want an end to zero hours, temporary contracts that go on forever, people on poverty wages, and decreasing rights in the workplace.
I've only been on strike twice in my 10 year career (though not NUT) and this is because of what this government is doing to my profession but, more importantly, our children:
- Class sizes that were illegal are now the norm for many;
- Removal of the right of your child to be taught by a trained, qualified teacher. (Would you allow your child to be driven to school by someone who hadn't passed their driving test? So why is it OK for them to be taught by cheap, unqualified staff when they get there?);
- Pilloried by the government in the media as lazy, workshy enemies of promise when studies have proven that we work longer hours than the vast majority of teachers in other countries and longer than most professionals.
- Foolish ideological changes to education which go against all research, all experts and even the government's own advisers (who were swept under the carpet when their fact and research based opinions didn't fit with Mr Gove's ideology).

If you want your children to be taught by well-trained professionals who have your children's best interests at heart, who know how children think, behave and learn, and are given time, opportunity and resources to improve their practice, support the teachers.
If you want your children educated on the cheap by the lowest bidder, taught in cheap schools, neither built nor fit for purpose, with unqualified, untrained, unprepared, cheap staff, so the government's mates can make a fast buck off your kids' futures, then support the government.
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Public sympathy for this is nil. Teacher due to the number of time they strike which is on average every few month are driving a wedge between those who they want support from. They seem to live in a bubble where they think they are low paid when they are well above minimum wage and that their terms are unfair. Maybe if teaching is so badly paid, they should move into the shoes of others on zero hour contracts on minimum wage with no pension scheme.[/p][/quote]You make the mistake of thinking this strike by public service workers is about teachers versus lower paid workers. Surely the point is to bring more workers together to make a stand against a government that is hammering ALL working people by keeping wages low. This government is happy to keep wages low whilst making sure their friends in the city get richer and richer. People who caused the 2008 crash have done even better whilst those that didn't are made to pay for it. That's why people will strike on Thursday-against unfairness. Those same people who will strike this week want an end to zero hours, temporary contracts that go on forever, people on poverty wages, and decreasing rights in the workplace.[/p][/quote]I've only been on strike twice in my 10 year career (though not NUT) and this is because of what this government is doing to my profession but, more importantly, our children: - Class sizes that were illegal are now the norm for many; - Removal of the right of your child to be taught by a trained, qualified teacher. (Would you allow your child to be driven to school by someone who hadn't passed their driving test? So why is it OK for them to be taught by cheap, unqualified staff when they get there?); - Pilloried by the government in the media as lazy, workshy enemies of promise when studies have proven that we work longer hours than the vast majority of teachers in other countries and longer than most professionals. - Foolish ideological changes to education which go against all research, all experts and even the government's own advisers (who were swept under the carpet when their fact and research based opinions didn't fit with Mr Gove's ideology). If you want your children to be taught by well-trained professionals who have your children's best interests at heart, who know how children think, behave and learn, and are given time, opportunity and resources to improve their practice, support the teachers. If you want your children educated on the cheap by the lowest bidder, taught in cheap schools, neither built nor fit for purpose, with unqualified, untrained, unprepared, cheap staff, so the government's mates can make a fast buck off your kids' futures, then support the government. JAtkinson
  • Score: 13

10:06am Mon 7 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
BierleyBoy wrote:
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain!
Good

Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices
No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights.

Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.
Thats right

Tories = Bad

Labour / Unions = Good

Wish I had the simplistic view you did

Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.
So you're now arguing unions shouldn't be toothless? I agree with that! Tories these days basically want working working people screwed down and that's where they are at present. But times change, people learn and eventually things will change. The rich and comfortably off have had it pretty good for a while but many people are sick of the status quo-sick of seeing the
least well off struggling whilst the top 20% continue to live the high life. "All in it together" as Mr Osborne said with a smirk on his face, you must be joking!
Ok then answer me this please

During the past 3 Labour Governments the Top 10% of the highest earners gained 30% increases in their wealth. Under the last 3 Tory governments the Top 10% have only gained 5%

So c'mon Mr Economics man please expand your point or are you too busy watching the BBC?
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.[/p][/quote]Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain![/p][/quote]Good Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices[/p][/quote]No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights. Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.[/p][/quote]Thats right Tories = Bad Labour / Unions = Good Wish I had the simplistic view you did Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.[/p][/quote]So you're now arguing unions shouldn't be toothless? I agree with that! Tories these days basically want working working people screwed down and that's where they are at present. But times change, people learn and eventually things will change. The rich and comfortably off have had it pretty good for a while but many people are sick of the status quo-sick of seeing the least well off struggling whilst the top 20% continue to live the high life. "All in it together" as Mr Osborne said with a smirk on his face, you must be joking![/p][/quote]Ok then answer me this please During the past 3 Labour Governments the Top 10% of the highest earners gained 30% increases in their wealth. Under the last 3 Tory governments the Top 10% have only gained 5% So c'mon Mr Economics man please expand your point or are you too busy watching the BBC? Andy2010
  • Score: 17

10:06am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?" Cityman23
  • Score: -16

10:11am Mon 7 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
LOL yeah "training courses"

What you mean is sitting their whilst some outside agency brought in goes through some new processes etc whilst they get over their hangovers and enjoy the free lunch provided by the school

So c'mon then why not strike on training days? Are teachers implying training days are more important than "normal" days teaching their students.
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]LOL yeah "training courses" What you mean is sitting their whilst some outside agency brought in goes through some new processes etc whilst they get over their hangovers and enjoy the free lunch provided by the school So c'mon then why not strike on training days? Are teachers implying training days are more important than "normal" days teaching their students. Andy2010
  • Score: 6

10:14am Mon 7 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Yes I do want my children taught in class sizes which will not hinder their progress. So I don't understand why when the schools are already full, this council gives the green light to build another 440 houses on my doorstep further stretching the resources at the local schools, and not once have the council explained what they intend to do to rectify this other than push through these new houses at every step.
Yes I do want my children taught in class sizes which will not hinder their progress. So I don't understand why when the schools are already full, this council gives the green light to build another 440 houses on my doorstep further stretching the resources at the local schools, and not once have the council explained what they intend to do to rectify this other than push through these new houses at every step. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 18

10:14am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
BierleyBoy wrote:
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain!
Good

Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices
No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights.

Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.
Thats right

Tories = Bad

Labour / Unions = Good

Wish I had the simplistic view you did

Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.
So you're now arguing unions shouldn't be toothless? I agree with that! Tories these days basically want working working people screwed down and that's where they are at present. But times change, people learn and eventually things will change. The rich and comfortably off have had it pretty good for a while but many people are sick of the status quo-sick of seeing the
least well off struggling whilst the top 20% continue to live the high life. "All in it together" as Mr Osborne said with a smirk on his face, you must be joking!
Ok then answer me this please

During the past 3 Labour Governments the Top 10% of the highest earners gained 30% increases in their wealth. Under the last 3 Tory governments the Top 10% have only gained 5%

So c'mon Mr Economics man please expand your point or are you too busy watching the BBC?
I don't know where you get these statistics from- probably Conservative central office-but I prefer to trust those that appeared in the 'Independent' last week that proved that the richest have got a lot richer whilst the poorest have got poorer.
Working people are standing up, coming together to fight a right- wing government, determined to impose poor conditions on most working people.

Most folk with a heart would stand with the bullied against the bully, but you it seems prefer the latter.
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.[/p][/quote]Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain![/p][/quote]Good Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices[/p][/quote]No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights. Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.[/p][/quote]Thats right Tories = Bad Labour / Unions = Good Wish I had the simplistic view you did Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.[/p][/quote]So you're now arguing unions shouldn't be toothless? I agree with that! Tories these days basically want working working people screwed down and that's where they are at present. But times change, people learn and eventually things will change. The rich and comfortably off have had it pretty good for a while but many people are sick of the status quo-sick of seeing the least well off struggling whilst the top 20% continue to live the high life. "All in it together" as Mr Osborne said with a smirk on his face, you must be joking![/p][/quote]Ok then answer me this please During the past 3 Labour Governments the Top 10% of the highest earners gained 30% increases in their wealth. Under the last 3 Tory governments the Top 10% have only gained 5% So c'mon Mr Economics man please expand your point or are you too busy watching the BBC?[/p][/quote]I don't know where you get these statistics from- probably Conservative central office-but I prefer to trust those that appeared in the 'Independent' last week that proved that the richest have got a lot richer whilst the poorest have got poorer. Working people are standing up, coming together to fight a right- wing government, determined to impose poor conditions on most working people. Most folk with a heart would stand with the bullied against the bully, but you it seems prefer the latter. Cityman23
  • Score: -5

10:14am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
BierleyBoy wrote:
If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed?
Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike.
This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.
Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain!
Good

Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices
No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights.

Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.
Thats right

Tories = Bad

Labour / Unions = Good

Wish I had the simplistic view you did

Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.
So you're now arguing unions shouldn't be toothless? I agree with that! Tories these days basically want working working people screwed down and that's where they are at present. But times change, people learn and eventually things will change. The rich and comfortably off have had it pretty good for a while but many people are sick of the status quo-sick of seeing the
least well off struggling whilst the top 20% continue to live the high life. "All in it together" as Mr Osborne said with a smirk on his face, you must be joking!
Ok then answer me this please

During the past 3 Labour Governments the Top 10% of the highest earners gained 30% increases in their wealth. Under the last 3 Tory governments the Top 10% have only gained 5%

So c'mon Mr Economics man please expand your point or are you too busy watching the BBC?
I don't know where you get these statistics from- probably Conservative central office-but I prefer to trust those that appeared in the 'Independent' last week that proved that the richest have got a lot richer whilst the poorest have got poorer.
Working people are standing up, coming together to fight a right- wing government, determined to impose poor conditions on most working people.

Most folk with a heart would stand with the bullied against the bully, but you it seems prefer the latter.
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BierleyBoy[/bold] wrote: If there is a public sector strike, surely City park should be closed? Bradford has appallingly low education standards, so teachers go on strike. This isn't about workers rights, it's about Labour party paymasters flexing their muscles ready for an election campaign against the 'nasty Tories'.[/p][/quote]Your living on another planet if you believe unions have undue effect on the Labour Party these days. The unions have in fact TOO little influence on Labour Party policies. We have the most repressive laws against unions in Western Europe. And part of the reason why wages are low, rights at work have diminished is because of the lack of power of trade unions in Britain![/p][/quote]Good Heaven help us if we go back to the days when Unions did have any power as they destroyed this whole countries industries with their practices[/p][/quote]No it was Margaret Thatcher who accomplished that feat! At present there is imbalance with employers holding all the power and workers very little. Hence, low paid jobs, zero hours, reduced workers' rights. Working people are entitled to have unions to represent them, bargain on their behalf.[/p][/quote]Thats right Tories = Bad Labour / Unions = Good Wish I had the simplistic view you did Indeed working people are entitled to Unions but since the EU there has been no need for them at all as they are toothless dinosaurs.[/p][/quote]So you're now arguing unions shouldn't be toothless? I agree with that! Tories these days basically want working working people screwed down and that's where they are at present. But times change, people learn and eventually things will change. The rich and comfortably off have had it pretty good for a while but many people are sick of the status quo-sick of seeing the least well off struggling whilst the top 20% continue to live the high life. "All in it together" as Mr Osborne said with a smirk on his face, you must be joking![/p][/quote]Ok then answer me this please During the past 3 Labour Governments the Top 10% of the highest earners gained 30% increases in their wealth. Under the last 3 Tory governments the Top 10% have only gained 5% So c'mon Mr Economics man please expand your point or are you too busy watching the BBC?[/p][/quote]I don't know where you get these statistics from- probably Conservative central office-but I prefer to trust those that appeared in the 'Independent' last week that proved that the richest have got a lot richer whilst the poorest have got poorer. Working people are standing up, coming together to fight a right- wing government, determined to impose poor conditions on most working people. Most folk with a heart would stand with the bullied against the bully, but you it seems prefer the latter. Cityman23
  • Score: -9

10:20am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working!

It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own!
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working! It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own! Cityman23
  • Score: -5

10:20am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working!

It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own!
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working! It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own! Cityman23
  • Score: -13

10:27am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
LOL yeah "training courses"

What you mean is sitting their whilst some outside agency brought in goes through some new processes etc whilst they get over their hangovers and enjoy the free lunch provided by the school

So c'mon then why not strike on training days? Are teachers implying training days are more important than "normal" days teaching their students.
Free time means free to do what you want which sure as hell doesn't mean going to school! ie You were wrong- be big enough to admit it, without changing the subject.
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]LOL yeah "training courses" What you mean is sitting their whilst some outside agency brought in goes through some new processes etc whilst they get over their hangovers and enjoy the free lunch provided by the school So c'mon then why not strike on training days? Are teachers implying training days are more important than "normal" days teaching their students.[/p][/quote]Free time means free to do what you want which sure as hell doesn't mean going to school! ie You were wrong- be big enough to admit it, without changing the subject. Cityman23
  • Score: -8

10:30am Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Hey, I've got an idea, a one off windfall tax on all the billionaires could completely clear the deficit, without inflicting pain on the poor, weak, vulnerable. What about it? Worth a few thumbs ups?
Hey, I've got an idea, a one off windfall tax on all the billionaires could completely clear the deficit, without inflicting pain on the poor, weak, vulnerable. What about it? Worth a few thumbs ups? Cityman23
  • Score: -4

10:44am Mon 7 Jul 14

bingleybantam says...

Will the teachers be fined £60 for an unauthorised absence?
Will the teachers be fined £60 for an unauthorised absence? bingleybantam
  • Score: 29

11:10am Mon 7 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working!

It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own!
Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous.

With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working! It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own![/p][/quote]Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous. With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families Andy2010
  • Score: 19

12:43pm Mon 7 Jul 14

OLDLAD says...

Salary ranges
England and Wales (excluding London and fringes) Inner London Outer London London fringe
Head teachers
Max £106,148 £113,303 £109,151 £107,199
Min £42,803 £49,961 £45,805 £43,851
Leading practitioners
Max £57,520 £64,677 £60,525 £58,565
Min £37,836 £44,986 £40,838 £38,878
Upper pay ranges
Max £37,124 £45,450 £40,838 £38,173
Min £34,523 £41,912 £37,975 £35,571
Main pay ranges
Max £31,868 £36,751 £35,468 £32,914
Min £21,804 £27,270 £25,369 £22,853
Unqualified teachers
Max £25,267 £29,379 £28,272 £26,313
Min £15,976 £20,092 £18,977 £17,025
Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payment

An additional payment to a teacher for taking on sustained additional responsibilities:
TLR 1 max £12,517
TLR 1 min £7,397
TLR 2 max £6,259
TLR 2 min

£2,561

Consider most people average 15k teachers are not badly paid are they
Salary ranges England and Wales (excluding London and fringes) Inner London Outer London London fringe Head teachers Max £106,148 £113,303 £109,151 £107,199 Min £42,803 £49,961 £45,805 £43,851 Leading practitioners Max £57,520 £64,677 £60,525 £58,565 Min £37,836 £44,986 £40,838 £38,878 Upper pay ranges Max £37,124 £45,450 £40,838 £38,173 Min £34,523 £41,912 £37,975 £35,571 Main pay ranges Max £31,868 £36,751 £35,468 £32,914 Min £21,804 £27,270 £25,369 £22,853 Unqualified teachers Max £25,267 £29,379 £28,272 £26,313 Min £15,976 £20,092 £18,977 £17,025 Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payment An additional payment to a teacher for taking on sustained additional responsibilities: TLR 1 max £12,517 TLR 1 min £7,397 TLR 2 max £6,259 TLR 2 min £2,561 Consider most people average 15k teachers are not badly paid are they OLDLAD
  • Score: 11

2:35pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

60 hours a week, my foot. I know a few teachers, none work that amount of hours.

Neither do they really work in the holidays, maybe a mad rush to get stuff done in the 2 days before they get back to school, otherwise it's lots of holidays and relaxation.

The main grip is that the government want to bring in more performance elated pay, to reward the best teachers. There are far too many poor to average teachers out there, and that is the main detriment to our kids education, not increased class sizes.

With the performance rankings in Bradford, you'd think most teachers would want to keep their heads below the parapets and not draw attention to themselves!
60 hours a week, my foot. I know a few teachers, none work that amount of hours. Neither do they really work in the holidays, maybe a mad rush to get stuff done in the 2 days before they get back to school, otherwise it's lots of holidays and relaxation. The main grip is that the government want to bring in more performance elated pay, to reward the best teachers. There are far too many poor to average teachers out there, and that is the main detriment to our kids education, not increased class sizes. With the performance rankings in Bradford, you'd think most teachers would want to keep their heads below the parapets and not draw attention to themselves! Bone_idle18
  • Score: 10

3:50pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working!

It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own!
Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous.

With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families
All workers-public and private- should support any group of workers right now standing up to a right-wing bullying government which seeks to keep workers low paid and with poor rights at work.

We have a divided country of great inequality where many in work are extremely poorly paid. Over a million people depend on food banks. Nearly a million are unemployed. Against that background any group of workers prepared to stand up this government deserves support.

Splitting workers into public/ private is the old Tory policy of divide and rule and no workers should fall for that!
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working! It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own![/p][/quote]Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous. With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families[/p][/quote]All workers-public and private- should support any group of workers right now standing up to a right-wing bullying government which seeks to keep workers low paid and with poor rights at work. We have a divided country of great inequality where many in work are extremely poorly paid. Over a million people depend on food banks. Nearly a million are unemployed. Against that background any group of workers prepared to stand up this government deserves support. Splitting workers into public/ private is the old Tory policy of divide and rule and no workers should fall for that! Cityman23
  • Score: 0

3:50pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working!

It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own!
Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous.

With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families
All workers-public and private- should support any group of workers right now standing up to a right-wing bullying government which seeks to keep workers low paid and with poor rights at work.

We have a divided country of great inequality where many in work are extremely poorly paid. Over a million people depend on food banks. Nearly a million are unemployed. Against that background any group of workers prepared to stand up this government deserves support.

Splitting workers into public/ private is the old Tory policy of divide and rule and no workers should fall for that!
[quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working! It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own![/p][/quote]Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous. With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families[/p][/quote]All workers-public and private- should support any group of workers right now standing up to a right-wing bullying government which seeks to keep workers low paid and with poor rights at work. We have a divided country of great inequality where many in work are extremely poorly paid. Over a million people depend on food banks. Nearly a million are unemployed. Against that background any group of workers prepared to stand up this government deserves support. Splitting workers into public/ private is the old Tory policy of divide and rule and no workers should fall for that! Cityman23
  • Score: -5

3:51pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working!

It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own!
Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous.

With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families
All workers-public and private- should support any group of workers right now standing up to a right-wing bullying government which seeks to keep workers low paid and with poor rights at work.

We have a divided country of great inequality where many in work are extremely poorly paid. Over a million people depend on food banks. Nearly a million are unemployed. Against that background any group of workers prepared to stand up this government deserves support.

Splitting workers into public/ private is the old Tory policy of divide and rule and no workers should fall for that!
Correction: " nearly a million Young people are unemployed"
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working! It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own![/p][/quote]Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous. With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families[/p][/quote]All workers-public and private- should support any group of workers right now standing up to a right-wing bullying government which seeks to keep workers low paid and with poor rights at work. We have a divided country of great inequality where many in work are extremely poorly paid. Over a million people depend on food banks. Nearly a million are unemployed. Against that background any group of workers prepared to stand up this government deserves support. Splitting workers into public/ private is the old Tory policy of divide and rule and no workers should fall for that![/p][/quote]Correction: " nearly a million Young people are unemployed" Cityman23
  • Score: -4

3:51pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Cityman23 says...

Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Cityman23 wrote:
Andy2010 wrote:
Why not strike on a teacher "training" day?

No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support.

Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it

Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.
If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"
I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working!

It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own!
Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous.

With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families
All workers-public and private- should support any group of workers right now standing up to a right-wing bullying government which seeks to keep workers low paid and with poor rights at work.

We have a divided country of great inequality where many in work are extremely poorly paid. Over a million people depend on food banks. Nearly a million are unemployed. Against that background any group of workers prepared to stand up this government deserves support.

Splitting workers into public/ private is the old Tory policy of divide and rule and no workers should fall for that!
Correction: " nearly a million Young people are unemployed"
[quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cityman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy2010[/bold] wrote: Why not strike on a teacher "training" day? No disruption to parents and pupils and still have the public support. Silly me that would be affecting their free time wouldnt it Get back to work or leave the job. Us taxpayers are sick to death of the moaning firefighters / teachers who have well paid, well benefited jobs yet continually moan.[/p][/quote]If teachers are on courses/ training on training days, how can it be their " free time?"[/p][/quote]I love it- someone just voted thumbs down! How can you nay- say a fact! It's a fact that a training day is NOT free time' it's a day at work, working! It's amusing to think of all you right wing rabid Thatcherites, busy giving thumbs downs to anything on here that smacks of social democracy. God, you'd take us back to the Victorian days of master and servant if you could wouldn't you. Hey, I've started you off with a thumbs down of my own![/p][/quote]Maybe people are giving the thumbs down because they are sick to death of teachers and public servants moaning about their "conditions" when in essence on comparison to the private sector they are extremely generous. With the recent numbers in unemployment and as you put "terrible contracts" its hardly surprising people are in disagreement with the strikers when they are having trouble feeding their own families[/p][/quote]All workers-public and private- should support any group of workers right now standing up to a right-wing bullying government which seeks to keep workers low paid and with poor rights at work. We have a divided country of great inequality where many in work are extremely poorly paid. Over a million people depend on food banks. Nearly a million are unemployed. Against that background any group of workers prepared to stand up this government deserves support. Splitting workers into public/ private is the old Tory policy of divide and rule and no workers should fall for that![/p][/quote]Correction: " nearly a million Young people are unemployed" Cityman23
  • Score: -6

4:01pm Mon 7 Jul 14

son123 says...

Think instead of cutting every average Joes wages and pensions. Maybe mps should have same and have their wages and pensions slashed!!!!! What right for one is right for another. Mps a backwards Robin Hoods!!! Steal from the poor to fund their rubbish plans that make no sense and are a utter waste of money or their 2nd house when people like us only just afford to pay or rent the one!
Think instead of cutting every average Joes wages and pensions. Maybe mps should have same and have their wages and pensions slashed!!!!! What right for one is right for another. Mps a backwards Robin Hoods!!! Steal from the poor to fund their rubbish plans that make no sense and are a utter waste of money or their 2nd house when people like us only just afford to pay or rent the one! son123
  • Score: 4

4:01pm Mon 7 Jul 14

allinittogether says...

OLDLAD wrote:
Salary ranges
England and Wales (excluding London and fringes) Inner London Outer London London fringe
Head teachers
Max £106,148 £113,303 £109,151 £107,199
Min £42,803 £49,961 £45,805 £43,851
Leading practitioners
Max £57,520 £64,677 £60,525 £58,565
Min £37,836 £44,986 £40,838 £38,878
Upper pay ranges
Max £37,124 £45,450 £40,838 £38,173
Min £34,523 £41,912 £37,975 £35,571
Main pay ranges
Max £31,868 £36,751 £35,468 £32,914
Min £21,804 £27,270 £25,369 £22,853
Unqualified teachers
Max £25,267 £29,379 £28,272 £26,313
Min £15,976 £20,092 £18,977 £17,025
Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payment

An additional payment to a teacher for taking on sustained additional responsibilities:
TLR 1 max £12,517
TLR 1 min £7,397
TLR 2 max £6,259
TLR 2 min

£2,561

Consider most people average 15k teachers are not badly paid are they
You're obviously keen to quote facts so where do you get "most people average 15k" from?
For a 37.5 hour week that works out at £7.69/hr.
[quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Salary ranges England and Wales (excluding London and fringes) Inner London Outer London London fringe Head teachers Max £106,148 £113,303 £109,151 £107,199 Min £42,803 £49,961 £45,805 £43,851 Leading practitioners Max £57,520 £64,677 £60,525 £58,565 Min £37,836 £44,986 £40,838 £38,878 Upper pay ranges Max £37,124 £45,450 £40,838 £38,173 Min £34,523 £41,912 £37,975 £35,571 Main pay ranges Max £31,868 £36,751 £35,468 £32,914 Min £21,804 £27,270 £25,369 £22,853 Unqualified teachers Max £25,267 £29,379 £28,272 £26,313 Min £15,976 £20,092 £18,977 £17,025 Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payment An additional payment to a teacher for taking on sustained additional responsibilities: TLR 1 max £12,517 TLR 1 min £7,397 TLR 2 max £6,259 TLR 2 min £2,561 Consider most people average 15k teachers are not badly paid are they[/p][/quote]You're obviously keen to quote facts so where do you get "most people average 15k" from? For a 37.5 hour week that works out at £7.69/hr. allinittogether
  • Score: 3

11:54am Tue 8 Jul 14

angry bradfordian says...

allinittogether wrote:
OLDLAD wrote:
Salary ranges
England and Wales (excluding London and fringes) Inner London Outer London London fringe
Head teachers
Max £106,148 £113,303 £109,151 £107,199
Min £42,803 £49,961 £45,805 £43,851
Leading practitioners
Max £57,520 £64,677 £60,525 £58,565
Min £37,836 £44,986 £40,838 £38,878
Upper pay ranges
Max £37,124 £45,450 £40,838 £38,173
Min £34,523 £41,912 £37,975 £35,571
Main pay ranges
Max £31,868 £36,751 £35,468 £32,914
Min £21,804 £27,270 £25,369 £22,853
Unqualified teachers
Max £25,267 £29,379 £28,272 £26,313
Min £15,976 £20,092 £18,977 £17,025
Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payment

An additional payment to a teacher for taking on sustained additional responsibilities:
TLR 1 max £12,517
TLR 1 min £7,397
TLR 2 max £6,259
TLR 2 min

£2,561

Consider most people average 15k teachers are not badly paid are they
You're obviously keen to quote facts so where do you get "most people average 15k" from?
For a 37.5 hour week that works out at £7.69/hr.
Most people definitely don't average £15k.
From last year's wage survey from the ONS:

"For the tax year ending 5 April 2013 median gross annual earnings for full-time employees on adult rates who had been in the same job for at least 12 months (including those whose pay was affected by absence) were £27,000. This was an increase of 2.1% compared with £26,500 in the year ending 5 April 2012."

It still means that a newly qualified teacher starts on a similar amount to the average salary which isn't too bad for a job that has the same length of training as most other degree based vocations.
[quote][p][bold]allinittogether[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Salary ranges England and Wales (excluding London and fringes) Inner London Outer London London fringe Head teachers Max £106,148 £113,303 £109,151 £107,199 Min £42,803 £49,961 £45,805 £43,851 Leading practitioners Max £57,520 £64,677 £60,525 £58,565 Min £37,836 £44,986 £40,838 £38,878 Upper pay ranges Max £37,124 £45,450 £40,838 £38,173 Min £34,523 £41,912 £37,975 £35,571 Main pay ranges Max £31,868 £36,751 £35,468 £32,914 Min £21,804 £27,270 £25,369 £22,853 Unqualified teachers Max £25,267 £29,379 £28,272 £26,313 Min £15,976 £20,092 £18,977 £17,025 Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payment An additional payment to a teacher for taking on sustained additional responsibilities: TLR 1 max £12,517 TLR 1 min £7,397 TLR 2 max £6,259 TLR 2 min £2,561 Consider most people average 15k teachers are not badly paid are they[/p][/quote]You're obviously keen to quote facts so where do you get "most people average 15k" from? For a 37.5 hour week that works out at £7.69/hr.[/p][/quote]Most people definitely don't average £15k. From last year's wage survey from the ONS: "For the tax year ending 5 April 2013 median gross annual earnings for full-time employees on adult rates who had been in the same job for at least 12 months (including those whose pay was affected by absence) were £27,000. This was an increase of 2.1% compared with £26,500 in the year ending 5 April 2012." It still means that a newly qualified teacher starts on a similar amount to the average salary which isn't too bad for a job that has the same length of training as most other degree based vocations. angry bradfordian
  • Score: 3

5:17pm Tue 8 Jul 14

Bantambhoy says...

angry bradfordian wrote:
allinittogether wrote:
OLDLAD wrote:
Salary ranges
England and Wales (excluding London and fringes) Inner London Outer London London fringe
Head teachers
Max £106,148 £113,303 £109,151 £107,199
Min £42,803 £49,961 £45,805 £43,851
Leading practitioners
Max £57,520 £64,677 £60,525 £58,565
Min £37,836 £44,986 £40,838 £38,878
Upper pay ranges
Max £37,124 £45,450 £40,838 £38,173
Min £34,523 £41,912 £37,975 £35,571
Main pay ranges
Max £31,868 £36,751 £35,468 £32,914
Min £21,804 £27,270 £25,369 £22,853
Unqualified teachers
Max £25,267 £29,379 £28,272 £26,313
Min £15,976 £20,092 £18,977 £17,025
Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payment

An additional payment to a teacher for taking on sustained additional responsibilities:
TLR 1 max £12,517
TLR 1 min £7,397
TLR 2 max £6,259
TLR 2 min

£2,561

Consider most people average 15k teachers are not badly paid are they
You're obviously keen to quote facts so where do you get "most people average 15k" from?
For a 37.5 hour week that works out at £7.69/hr.
Most people definitely don't average £15k.
From last year's wage survey from the ONS:

"For the tax year ending 5 April 2013 median gross annual earnings for full-time employees on adult rates who had been in the same job for at least 12 months (including those whose pay was affected by absence) were £27,000. This was an increase of 2.1% compared with £26,500 in the year ending 5 April 2012."

It still means that a newly qualified teacher starts on a similar amount to the average salary which isn't too bad for a job that has the same length of training as most other degree based vocations.
Your figures will probably include teachers salaries so the figure for 'normal' unprofessional people will be nearer the £15k mark. The main gripe of teachers is the 'cut', and I use the term loosely, to their generous pensions and therefore their ability to retire early as most of them do.
[quote][p][bold]angry bradfordian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]allinittogether[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLDLAD[/bold] wrote: Salary ranges England and Wales (excluding London and fringes) Inner London Outer London London fringe Head teachers Max £106,148 £113,303 £109,151 £107,199 Min £42,803 £49,961 £45,805 £43,851 Leading practitioners Max £57,520 £64,677 £60,525 £58,565 Min £37,836 £44,986 £40,838 £38,878 Upper pay ranges Max £37,124 £45,450 £40,838 £38,173 Min £34,523 £41,912 £37,975 £35,571 Main pay ranges Max £31,868 £36,751 £35,468 £32,914 Min £21,804 £27,270 £25,369 £22,853 Unqualified teachers Max £25,267 £29,379 £28,272 £26,313 Min £15,976 £20,092 £18,977 £17,025 Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) payment An additional payment to a teacher for taking on sustained additional responsibilities: TLR 1 max £12,517 TLR 1 min £7,397 TLR 2 max £6,259 TLR 2 min £2,561 Consider most people average 15k teachers are not badly paid are they[/p][/quote]You're obviously keen to quote facts so where do you get "most people average 15k" from? For a 37.5 hour week that works out at £7.69/hr.[/p][/quote]Most people definitely don't average £15k. From last year's wage survey from the ONS: "For the tax year ending 5 April 2013 median gross annual earnings for full-time employees on adult rates who had been in the same job for at least 12 months (including those whose pay was affected by absence) were £27,000. This was an increase of 2.1% compared with £26,500 in the year ending 5 April 2012." It still means that a newly qualified teacher starts on a similar amount to the average salary which isn't too bad for a job that has the same length of training as most other degree based vocations.[/p][/quote]Your figures will probably include teachers salaries so the figure for 'normal' unprofessional people will be nearer the £15k mark. The main gripe of teachers is the 'cut', and I use the term loosely, to their generous pensions and therefore their ability to retire early as most of them do. Bantambhoy
  • Score: 0

7:27pm Tue 8 Jul 14

Al Spade says...

Can I urge all parents whose children cannot go to school on Thursday to invoice the school a "fine" of £60 for refusing to let their attend school?
Can I urge all parents whose children cannot go to school on Thursday to invoice the school a "fine" of £60 for refusing to let their attend school? Al Spade
  • Score: 5

8:53am Wed 9 Jul 14

Andy2010 says...

Al Spade wrote:
Can I urge all parents whose children cannot go to school on Thursday to invoice the school a "fine" of £60 for refusing to let their attend school?
You cant actually do that but what you legally can do is invoice the Union who called the strike action for your costs for childcare .

They have to settle your invoice as long as you back up the costs by way of an invoice from a childcare provider. You need to firstly right to the NUT HQ at

Hamilton House, Mabledon Place,
London,
WC1H 9BD.

If the invoice isnt settled within seven days then send another letter threatening legal action if not paid within another seven days. Following this and no payment then use the money service website to issue a claim for your invoice together with costs and interest.

Some people might find this far fetched but a precedent was set a couple of years when the county court awarded payment for this to a parent due to the costs incurred through no fault of their own.

Maybe if more people did this they might think twice about these pointless strikes affecting their pupils education
[quote][p][bold]Al Spade[/bold] wrote: Can I urge all parents whose children cannot go to school on Thursday to invoice the school a "fine" of £60 for refusing to let their attend school?[/p][/quote]You cant actually do that but what you legally can do is invoice the Union who called the strike action for your costs for childcare . They have to settle your invoice as long as you back up the costs by way of an invoice from a childcare provider. You need to firstly right to the NUT HQ at Hamilton House, Mabledon Place, London, WC1H 9BD. If the invoice isnt settled within seven days then send another letter threatening legal action if not paid within another seven days. Following this and no payment then use the money service website to issue a claim for your invoice together with costs and interest. Some people might find this far fetched but a precedent was set a couple of years when the county court awarded payment for this to a parent due to the costs incurred through no fault of their own. Maybe if more people did this they might think twice about these pointless strikes affecting their pupils education Andy2010
  • Score: 7
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree