A 52-year-old man will be sentenced next month after admitting causing grievous bodily harm with intent to his partner.

Grey-haired Andrew Hall pleaded guilty when he appeared by video link from Leeds Prison at Bradford Crown Court yesterday.

Hall, of Gerard House, Fairhaven Green, Thorpe Edge, Bradford, who wore a black top, spoke clearly when the charge of causing grievous bodily harm to Karen Jude with intent, on March 16 this year, was put to him.

His barrister, Richard Gioserano, said there was no basis to the plea of guilty. He told Judge Colin Burn he had a duty to consider risk, and asked for a pre-sentence report.

Karen Jude, 43, was found with injuries to her face and head in the bedroom of her home at Gerard House, at 7pm on Sunday, March 16. She was put in a medically-induced coma at Leeds General Infirmary.

Prosecutor Duncan Ritchie said the victim was now at home, but was receiving a great deal of support. He said there had been no further evidence dealing with her prognosis.

"The doctors express some reservations about providing a prognosis," Mr Ritchie said. "It is difficult to predict and is not going to become clearer in the short term."

Judge Burn said there were significant sensitivities in the case. He said Mr Gioserano had previously told him the defendant accepted the evidence, though he had no recollection of what happened.

Adjourning sentence until August 1, the judge told Hall: "You have pleaded guilty today. At the moment my view is it is probable you will receive full credit for your guilty plea."

But he added: "You have to understand that is against the background of this being an extremely serious offence, for which it appears there can be only one disposal, a significant custodial sentence.

"You will be brought to court on August 1, it's not appropriate for you to be sentenced on video link.

"You will be interviewed by probation, you need to make sure you co-operate. So, as well as a psychiatric report, there will also be a pre-sentence report before me. It will also address any issues of risk."

Hall was further remanded in custody until the sentencing hearing.