Route closures and diversions due to July’s Tour de France Grand Depart have now been fully revealed by Bradford Council.
And regular road users are being urged to plan ahead due to inevitable disruption caused as the famous bike race hurtles round the district on the weekend of July 5 and 6.
When riders hare through Burley-in-Wharfedale, Ilkley and Addingham on the Saturday, the roads of the race route and junctions with side roads on to it will need to be closed from 5.30am.
On the Sunday roads will need to be closed from 6.30am.
“The closure times are necessary to allow for the route to be prepared and infrastructure to be put in place before spectators arrive and the Tour’s publicity ‘caravan’ of about 180 vehicles, followed by around 200 riders and their support teams, pass through,” a Bradford Council spokesman said.
Crash barriers and other infrastructure then has to be removed and spectators allowed to disperse safely.
The Council hopes that the roads will be re-opened during late afternoon.
But all road opening times are dependant on public safety and the warning is these will be subject to change as the event progresses.
Although all motor vehicles are banned, pedestrians and cyclists will be able to use and cross the route prior to the main caravan of the race.
Householders and businesses along the route will be written to with information on how the road closures will affect them. Resident-only car parking will be set up.
Vehicular access to, and within, certain areas of the district will be significantly restricted, particularly for stage two when movement of traffic through locations will not be permitted.
Revised bus and train timetables will be in operation with added trains and buses being laid on according to Metro. Full details for spectators and those wishing to access places by public transport along the route will be made available nearer to the event.
Despite the disruption, the Council hopes keep its services such as tips and leisure centres running as normal.
For more information about Bradford Council’s plans for the Tour de France Grand Depart coming to Bradford visit bradford.gov.uk/tourdefrance.
There will also be information on the Council’s Facebook page and on Twitter @Bradfordmdc.
ROAD CLOSURES SATURDAY, JULY 5
For Stage One of the Tour de France 2014 the following roads will need to be closed from 5.30am and are expected to re-open late afternoon:
- A660 – From the district boundary to A65 Burley-in-Wharfedale
- A65 – From Burley-in-Wharfedale through Ilkley to Addingham, Main Street
- B6160 – From Addingham Main Street to Skipton Road, Addingham
- Skipton Road – From Addingham Main Street to A65 junction Addingham and Wharfedale Road
- A65 – From Skipton Road junction to the district boundary
ROAD CLOSURES SUNDAY, JULY 6
For Stage Two of the Tour de France 2014 the following roads will need to be closed from 6.30am and are expected to re-open late afternoon:
- A6160 Bolton Road – From district boundary to Addingham Main Street
- A6160 – From Bolton Road junction via Main Street/Silsden Road to A65 roundabout
- A6034 – From A65 roundabout through Silsden to A629 roundabout
- A629 bypass – From A6034 Keighley Road roundabout to Hard Ings Road roundabout
- A629 – From Hard Ings Road roundabout through Keighley via Skipton Road/North Street/High Street/South Street/Halifax Road/Wesley Place/Halifax Road to A6033 Haworth Road roundabout
- A6033 Haworth Road – From A629 Halifax Road roundabout at Cross Roads to Lees Lane
- B6142 – From A6033 junction via Lees Lane/Mill Hey/Station Road/Bridgehouse Lane to Main Street
- Haworth Main Street and Changegate - From Bridgehouse Lane to North Street
- B6142 Rawdon Road – From Bridgehouse Lane to Changegate junction
- North Street/West Lane Main Street/Sun Lane/Main Street – From Changegate to Reservoir Road junction
- Reservoir Road – From Main Street/Sun Lane junction to Enfield Side Road/ Cemetery Road junction
- Moorside Lane/W Shaw Lane/Shaw Lane – From Enfield Side Road/Cemetery Road to Hebden Bridge Road
- A6033 Hebden Bridge Road – From Shaw Lane to district boundary